Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

dukzcry

402 posts in this topic

kubasko:

I've googled info regarding to your card. When playing with this driver, you should use 9240 firmware.

Hm i am not really keen to reflash the controller. But thank you for the info anyway. I will have a look. Also thank you for your work. Interesting to actually be able to see sources of a MacOS Raid Driver :-).

• 3 weeks later...

dukzcry, thanks so much for writing this kext, I never even thought there was a chance of being able to use my RAID card when running OS X. I have installed the kext and I can see my H310 PERC Adaptor in system profiler and I see the following messages from logging

5/10/13 10:06:22.000 PM kernel[0]: [sASMegaRAID] [Helper] IRQ: 40

5/10/13 10:06:22.000 PM kernel[0]: [sASMegaRAID] DMA: 64-bit, max commands: 31, Max SGE Count: 33

5/10/13 10:06:22.000 PM kernel[0]: [sASMegaRAID] 4 physical drive(s) present

5/10/13 10:06:22.000 PM kernel[0]: [sASMegaRAID] Enabled options: Physical Drive Coercion Mode Auto Rebuild GeForceSensors (pci5@0): chipset: GK104 (NVE4) bios: 80.04.09.00

5/10/13 10:06:22.000 PM kernel[0]: [sASMegaRAID] BBU not present/read error

This is all good so far. I cannot however see any of the drives attached to the H310.

They are not actually part of a RAID. They are all just JBOD's

The other thing that may be an issue is two of the drives are 3TB NTFS and the other 2 are 480GB SSD's with Win 7 installed.

Should I at least be able to see them in disk utility or am I missing something very obvious?

Many thanks

• Like 1

GrahamG:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but physical disks passtrough isn't supported with this kext, as i don't have hw supporting such a feature to work on this. You need to create a "Virtual Disk"'s for your HDDs.

No worries, that was the missing piece. converted one of the disk to a Virtual Disk and it showed up just fine. This is in no way a dissapointment, I am just so happy I can utilize the disks on the raid card. Many Thanks for producing this kext

Graham

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi dukzcry,

After changing my Dell H310 disks to virtual they showed up just fine and works well.

In the meantime I have built another machine with an LSI 9266-8i, which I expected to work, however I see no SASMegaRAID messages at all in the log. I also tried the IO Debug version with no output. Would you expect the 9266 to work?

I will load the full debug version and try that and provide the output.

I have built another machine with an LSI 9266-8i, which I expected to work, however I see no SASMegaRAID messages at all in the log. I also tried the IO Debug version with no output. Would you expect the 9266 to work?

Graham,

The 9266 card is based on SAS2208 (aka Thunderbolt) chip which isn't supported by this driver (as stated in github repo's readme). Unfortunately, no support for this chip is planned.

• 1 month later...

My motherboard has an integrated LSI SAS2 2308 controller. Is that at all supported by this driver?  Do you know if it's possible to get it working in mountain lion at this point?

Hi,

Unfortunately, the 2308 cards (aka Fusion-MPT) aren't supported by this kext.

You may have more luck with trying the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext, which is bundled with an OS. Just don't forget to add the Device ID of your card to the plist of kext, if it's not there.

Hi,

Unfortunately, the 2308 cards (aka Fusion-MPT) aren't supported by this kext.

You may have more luck with trying the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext, which is bundled with an OS. Just don't forget to add the Device ID of your card to the plist of kext, if it's not there.

Thanks for the quick reply!  I actually tried that tinkering around on my own.  I noticed I already had an AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext installed, so I gathered my device ID and tried adding it to the plist, although not sure if did so completely correctly.  Would you happen know of any additional online resources that shows the correct way to do this properly?  Or if I need to try anything else in addition to adding my device ID?

Well, there are some topics on this, like: http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11898

Just add your DevID in proposed format (pci'VendorID','DeviceID') under IONameMatch of the AppleLSIFusionSAS dictionary. You may also try to create IOPCIMatch string key and add an exact DevID there instead:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x00731000</string>

Change with your values. The first 4 digits are Device ID, the last are Vendor ID.

I'm not seeing any other useful settings in the plist, so i think it's all that you can do.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mr. Dukz

congratulations for you job, it is amazing!!

I buy some used Dell Servers 2950 with the Perc5  and Perc6 Raid cars.

today we work on a post facility with some MacPros and Pcs running osx86

can Perc 5 or 6 work on real MacPro (mid2010)??

its will be great!

Best,.

CR2013

Hi Mr. Dukz

I buy some used Dell Servers 2950 with the Perc5  and Perc6 Raid cars.

today we work on a post facility with some MacPros and Pcs running osx86

its will be great!

Best,.

CR2013

I think,. assemble a Raid Setup on Pc > save on card/battery and leave to Mac 

any chance?

thks

Hi, CR2013

Thank you!

I think,. assemble a Raid Setup on Pc > save on card/battery and leave to Mac

any chance?

That's a great idea which i've always wanted to try, but since i have no personal Mac Pro, i'm unable to do this.

I also hadn't heard of someone doing this before, so please, be our discoverer!

Hi, CR2013

Thank you!

That's a great idea which i've always wanted to try, but since i have no personal Mac Pro, i'm unable to do this.

I also hadn't heard of someone doing this before, so please, be our discoverer!

Ok, I will try this!

on any news, i`m posting

thank you for your fast answer!

Ok, I will try this!

on any news, i`m posting

thank you for your fast answer!

P.S.: I suggest to not attach drives with capacity of above 2 Tb to PERC6 card, as there is an issue with such configuration. PERC5 should probably go ok with them though. You may consider of using just the PERC5 or either LSI 9260-based controllers, Dell H310 (these are tested for over 2 Tb usage with this kext by people) or some else instead of PERC6 ones in case when you need to use huge drives.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all; Thank you SO much for your work on this. Absolutely impressive work. The H310 I picked up worked perfectly right out of the box once I configured the VDs in the BIOS utility. That said I am unable to get the mfiutil working. When I run it I get the following:

roach$ sudo mfiutil show config
mfiutil: mfi_open: No such file or directory
roach$ sudo find / -name mfi_open 

Yields no results. Looks like the installer missed something somehow? I downloaded and installed the 3810-SASMegaRAID_Installer.zip

Any ideas where to go next? Not critical functionality, but if I want to do even basic monitoring of the array I'll need to get its status.

ergot:

Nice that you figured it out :)

First of all; Thank you SO much for your work on this. Absolutely impressive work. The H310 I picked up worked perfectly right out of the box once I configured the VDs in the BIOS utility.

That's good! Thank you.

That said I am unable to get the mfiutil working. When I run it I get the following:

roach$ sudo mfiutil show config
mfiutil: mfi_open: No such file or directory
roach$ sudo find / -name mfi_open 

Yields no results.

mfiutil just has an obscure error reporting. Actually, mfi_open is a function and it looks for devfs nodes:

crw-r-----  1 root  operator   17,   0 Nov 27 00:33 /dev/mfi0

Most likely you haven't such file. If so, the driver failed to create a devfs node by some reason. In such case please see whether dmesg has "[RAID] cdevsw_add() failed" message.

Sorry for the late report.

I've just been busy on Mavericks installation recently. Seems to my mobo got some issues for installing Mavericks.

Anyway, I finished test the kext for DELL Perc H700 Raid card, and I got it fully WORK!!

No problems occurred by far.

I'll post updates if anything happens. But hopes nothing will happen.  :D  :D

BTW, I've installed Seagate 3TB *2 and Toshiba 3TB *2 on DELL Perc H700.

• Like 1