OS X 10.8.1 Released

ileikcaek

46 posts in this topic

Such an warning / comment about OS X updates is complete useless if you dont tell others what exact is "broken" , what special patches your hardware already use+need (beside dsdt + chameleon) and what system hardware parts you have.

For sure, the more extra patches + special install tools (.kext and framework patches) or other special things your system need beside normal dsdt + chameleon + vanilla system parts, the more risk is each update if you dont have your needed patched also installed (before reboot!)

I see no problem with 10.8.1 in general - it has near nothing changed in the .kext / framework parts. So an very safe update!

In the new 10.8.2 dev build (i use) there is much more changed / updated (= normal ;) ) - such install may run in problems / needs some additional work before rebboting.

But my 10.8.2 runs well - i only used patchted RTC.

Well Im sorry but this happen 3 in the morning so as u might understand first thing that happen was I got pd off. Then about whats broken I have no idea, what happen was at the end of the update it said update failed, thats it. Now it wont boot up, it stops at some kexts for videoglide (a program).

Asus P6 T SE,i7 930, saphire 5750, fake smc, dsdt.aml, a network kext, and two modified kexts for the videocard.

Is this sufficient info for u to help me?

Ofcourse I have the kexts I need and with all the hacks I had in my days I always put them back before reboot. With this one u dont have to and besides the extra folder is still there as always. And in this case like I said the installation broke already before reboot so there was nothing you could do.

Well I reinstalled 10.8 and all is good again. My videocard works ( all three displays)

my machine is acting the same way as theconnactic's.

the mac app store does not show the 10.8.1 update.

so i download the standalone update, and ran it.

the installer says that my machine (which is running 10.8 GM) does not meet the system requirements.

any help would be very much thanked

"If it isn't broken, then don't fix it" ;)

I agree to this statement but what I'm more concerned about is a update down the road.

10.8.1 doesn't bring anything new or fix any problems i am having. but what if 10.8.2 or 8.3 does?

how do i know that those updates will show up

• Like 1

Yeah, i can see clearly what you're worried about. It definitely worth some research. I don't think it's related to GM though, because others updated from this version without issues.

I didn't try to update because, in the list of features presented by this update, none adresses any issues of my hack, and if i did the update, i could somehow lose some good configs i achieved, like iCloud, that's working flawlessly here.

So i'm going to update only if it fixes some bug of my computer, or presents some new cool feature that's useful to me (not pinyin, definetly), or it's needed to run some up-to-date version of the software i use (matching my other philosophy, to be as up-to-date as possible), not to get a new OSX number at my About This Mac window.

I agree to this statement but what I'm more concerned about is a update down the road.

10.8.1 doesn't bring anything new or fix any problems i am having. but what if 10.8.2 or 8.3 does?

how do i know that those updates will show up

I couldn't help it, my curiosity made me try to update. Indeed, there were problems. I didn't use App Store or jack's link though, and downloaded from support.apple instead. The installer started just fine, but when i was prompted to choose a disk to install, all of them were marked with these warning signs, a yellow triangle with a black exclamation. At the dialog box, the reason: java issues. Happened before, when an installer goes awful: i have no probs with java at all. So, i used pacifist and force it to install. I recommend you to do that.

About the update itself, well, i'm trying not to change my kernel at first. Apart from a GSOD in my first boot, the system is presenting no stability issues. If something happens, i'll change the kernel to the 11.1.

In the end, i had restart issues and decided to try solving this by:

a.) updating the kernel to this one: http://www.insanelym...ic=281072&st=60 (look for the download link posted by buoo or by meek - i used mtek's, but i think both are the same file);

b.) patching RTC with this script: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280949 (look for JamesLitter first post).

I'm not sure of which one solved the bug, or if it was the combination of the two, but now everything (but graphics, since GMA3150 doesn't have QE/CI yet) works like a charm.

Update about the update: it broke my Reminders application. When i tried to open it, i got a incompatible OS version warning and, looking at console, i got this:

Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_CLGeocoder

Referenced from: /Applications/Reminders.app/Contents/MacOS/Reminders

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreLocation.framework/Versions/A/CoreLocation

in /Applications/Reminders.app/Contents/MacOS/Reminders

Anyway, this one was an easy one to solve: i have a rescue install of ML 10.8.0 in a 16 GB thumb drive (not an installer, but an installation of OSX. Slow as hell, since the data flows at USB 2.0 speed, but quite useful. Anyway, the installer could also be used; remember: the installer of OSX contains the entire OSX!) so i plugged it in an USB port and, when it mounted, i just navigated to /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreLocation.framework/Versions/A and copied the CoreLocation Unix executable. Then, i just put it in the place of the one which was at /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreLocation.framework/Versions/A of my netbook, and voilà: everything back to normal.

Tip: keep a rescue installation, or at least your OSX installer, always ready!

The installer started just fine, but when i was prompted to choose a disk to install, all of them were marked with these warning signs, a yellow triangle with a black exclamation. At the dialog box, the reason: java issues. Happened before, when an installer goes awful: i have no probs with java at all. So, i used pacifist and force it to install. I recommend you to do that.

the reason the installer gave me was not a java issue, it said "OS X Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update"

going to try the pacifist way and force the install.

i'll report back to let you guys know how it went.

i forced the install, and so far everything seems to be working fine.

i restarted the computer and nothing messed up so i think it worked great.

side note: i wanted to see what would happen in the installer now that i'm on 10.8.1.

the installer seems to work fine now. it was going to let me install 10.8.1 with no errors this time.

yep, i went down the list and they all opened, i restarted a couple times just to make sure.

everything seems to be all good here.

btw thanks for posting the things you went through, i didn't know about pacifist

i'm running the new 10.8.1 kernel