Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Can you pop the side off your rig and share the knowledge about what size power supply you have in there ?mine is a 375watt which i think is a bit small for a quad and a 7900gt.I bet yours at least has a 500watt'er. It sounds like you got a hell of a system.

suprisingly I have a 375 watt power supply.. looks like you're going shopping this weekend!

..btw how would i go about overclocking my cpu?

..and what's going on with the NIC!!!?? - i now can't browse with audio in vista!

The NIC kext i uploaded is bad i dont know what i did wrong, I am working on a New One Now I Hope I will Have It Up By Tomarrow I'm Sorry About the Trouble this may of caused

Bad in what sense?

I have a XPS 420 but seems its the same network chipset.

I have grabbed the latest AppleIntel8255x sources from Darwin (18.0.80), compiled it fine and added my device IDs.

(Permissions, kext caches etc too)

Still can't seem to get it to work. Here is some output from dmesg: (The tulip driver is the temporarily added pci ethernet card)

ethernet: family specific matching fails
darwin_tulip loaded darwin_tulip_admtek985 or one of its subclasses.
darwin_tulip vendorID = 0x1317 deviceID = 0x0985 revisionID = 0x0011
darwin_tulip subSystemVendorID = 0x1429 subSystemID = 0xd020
EEPROM contents:
MAC Addr: 00:10:a7:1a:05:69

i82557eeprom: checksum 0 incorrect
Intel82557: couldn't allocate eeprom object

Seems to be an eeprom reading issue, any ideas?

For the look of the source code seems very unprovable that the 2855x driver could work with the 28566 NIC with a simple ID change, the error happens in the very beginning of the initialization process, because of this I'm very interested to see how was possible for bigdaddyrob to get it working.

If anyone is interested the source code for the FreeBDS driver for this NIC is available, maybe one of the developers here could take a look on it ad have a driver using the FreeBSD and the Apple source code.

It's a shame that this NIC is not working yet, a lot of the 965 based boards use it. I own a DP965LT and is the only part not working yet.

i have tried using the the forcedeth driver install in terminal and it did not work. i have an nvidia nforce3 10/100 ethernet chipset when i did install it the entire computer froze and i could only move my mouse. any help would be very nice.

CODEethernet: family specific matching fails

darwin_tulip loaded darwin_tulip_admtek985 or one of its subclasses.

darwin_tulip vendorID = 0x1317 deviceID = 0x0985 revisionID = 0x0011

darwin_tulip subSystemVendorID = 0x1429 subSystemID = 0xd020

EEPROM contents:

MAC Addr: 00:10:a7:1a:05:69

i82557eeprom: checksum 0 incorrect

Intel82557: couldn't allocate eeprom object

Seems to be an eeprom reading issue, any ideas?

i don't have any experience editing kexts, but why does it say '82557', when the onboard NICs are '82566's?

82566 not 82556.

And it RECOGNIZES it as a 82557, that's how ID editing works I think,

1) match ID. =>

2) find a device

YES | NO

Go to | Go to

3a | 3b

3)a. display i____eeprom

b. display as 82557

i don't have any experience editing kexts, but why does it say '82557', when the onboard NICs are '82566's?

"i82557eeprom" is a text string hard coded in the 8255x kext code this is in the i82557eeprom.cpp file of the source code. So, given that the matching is forced adding the ID in the 8255x kext family there are not any explicit reference to 8256x NICS.

this is like waiting for iAtkos :rolleyes: Will be released soon. but i hope it will. Fingers crossed

LOL

BTW iATKOS is gonna really be released. It's finished, but the uploader needs to receive the iso on a DVD first so that he can convert to iso and then upload as torrent.

Let us hope that the NIC will follow, except in a shorter time.

It does not work on my Leopard :thumbsup_anim: Is there anyone make it works on Leopard?

Here what i did:

- Download kext file AppleIntel82566.mkext (link:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=18159).

- Then copy to /System/Library/Extensions/

- Correct permission

- Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

- Reboot my Leopard

Leopard does not recognize 82566DC onboard ethernet :)

Currently, i am using PCI 3COM network card 10/100, should i remove it out of my workstation in order to recognize on board ethernet card by Leopard?

Please help me.

Thank you very much.

Same here. But there IS a way to determine if bigdaddyrob2g posted it.

Satisfies two criteria:

1) In the forum page it should say who posted most recently and WHEN (which leads to number 2)

2) bigdaddyrob2g always posts at 5-6 EASTERN TIME. Make sure your time conversion skills are put to use if you see he posted some other time.

Just some info. I don't know why he gets up at 3 (he lives in Utah) but to each man his own, I guess!

RELEASE COMING. HOLD TIGHT.

It's true! bigdaddyrob2g is releasing it. He already sent a PM to me, asking whether I want to beta-test it or not! So hold tight. He has one beta-tester so far though, if you want to beta-test contact him!

RELEASE COMING. HOLD TIGHT.

It's true! bigdaddyrob2g is releasing it. He already sent a PM to me, asking whether I want to beta-test it or not! So hold tight. He has one beta-tester so far though, if you want to beta-test contact him!

(notices his second hard drive finally reformatting and deleting the last of leopard).....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The flat image seemed unstable anyways. I couldnt run iMovie, or Final cut