Mountain Lion GM ATI Radeon 6870 Problem

6 posts in this topic

I am having issues getting my ATI Radeon 6870 working on the GM of Mountain Lion. I had it working great in DP4 by adding the device ID to AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext and ATI6000Controller.kext. Weird thing is that ATI6000Controller.kext no longer has an Info.plist to add the device ID to.

When booting it hangs before initializing the GUI screen mode with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the device ID added to AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext. With GraphicsEnabler=No and the device ID added to AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext it boots to the desktop but with out any acceleration and @ 1024x768 resolution.

I took a Nvidia 470 video card out of my other computer and installed it in my Hackintosh and it works fine on the same install. But I need the ATI car to work in my Hack' because of the multi monitor support.

Any Ideas?

I seem to have the same problem. GE doesnt work, dsdt edit doesnt work and ATY_init doesnt work. All hang. Can boot fine in safe mode.

// Okay found the problem (thanks to a poster on the netkas forums). Installer messes up some permissions on the ati kexts. Just do a diskutil repairpermissions and a kernel caches rebuild. Got it working now.

Not sure it will help but this comes up in the dmesg

Can't load kext com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Kext com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Failed to load kext com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator (error 0xdc00800e).

Couldn't alloc class "AMDBartsGraphicsAccelerator"

• Like 1

I figured it out. Something must have happened during the installation and it munched the ATI/AMD kexts. All I had to do was open the BaseSystem.dmg in pacifist, sift thru the directory structure to find the kexts i wanted and restore the ATI/AMD kexts. Working great now.

• Like 2

I figured it out. Something must have happened during the installation and it munched the ATI/AMD kexts. All I had to do was open the BaseSystem.dmg in pacifist, sift thru the directory structure to find the kexts i wanted and restore the ATI/AMD kexts. Working great now.

Could you give me some more detail as to what you did? I have been unable to solve this stayed up half the night Thank you in advance

Ok I repaired permissions etc etc now it boots into grayish whit screen with mouse pointer in "beachball" mode

Edited by sparkythewondersquid

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to this discussion.

I have an XFX 6870 1gb, dual mini display port model. Worked great in 10.6 and 10.7, but hung at a white screen when booting into the 10.8 installer.

I got it to boot without removing any kexts by using the boot flags AtiConfig=Duckweed and GraphicsEnabler=No. It's almost done with the installer, so I'll see if I can get it 100% working in the OS.