InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
alex95sv

Searching for Wi-Fi card to buy..

Hi, since my Wi-Fi card is not compatible with OS X, I am going to buy a new one. But I wanted to ask you guys first, so that I buy the right one for my laptop. My laptop is Acer Aspire 5738G, and it has a slot for a half size mini pci-e wifi card. So, I saw a few topics, and the guys have recommended the AR5B91, and I found some on ebay. Is this okay for my PC? I see it's mini, but will it work?

Thanks for advance!

p.s. If you can recommend some cards that are not so expensive, I will be very grateful!

Advertisement

Hi, since my Wi-Fi card is not compatible with OS X, I am going to buy a new one. But I wanted to ask you guys first, so that I buy the right one for my laptop. My laptop is Acer Aspire 5738G, and it has a slot for a half size mini pci-e wifi card. So, I saw a few topics, and the guys have recommended the AR5B91, and I found some on ebay. Is this okay for my PC? I see it's mini, but will it work?

Thanks for advance!

p.s. If you can recommend some cards that are not so expensive, I will be very grateful!

AR5B91 is what i use and it works great out of box 10.6.3 or higher with no mods.. its N speed draft unlike BCM94311 that is G speed 54mb which is slower than N

this card is full size not half size.. the sony half size ar5B91 works in someones netbook confirmed.

if they send u ar5b95 (aka AR9285) then it needs a simple fix to add device id 2B to kext.

or fake in dsdt or a legacy kext the device id 2A which is from AR5B91 aka AR9281 that works OOB 10.6.3+

funny thing is the original apple is AR9280 AR5B92 .. device id 2A same. but capabilities differ in transmitter and would not work for me 95% of times until i switched to AR5B91 (non apple not working AR9280 AW-NE772 but AW-NE771 AR5B91 works fine and any other AR5B91).

usb is soo tiny.. i wonder if it has strong signal. i rather use internal replacement