Raspberry Pi - Available - Kind of....

fos

17 posts in this topic

You may have read my earlier post on the Raspberry Pi. It is a linux computer on a chip/board about the size of a credit card. The first run went on sale earlier this week. I had hoped to get one of those. Alas, I think they made them available on the old continent before they allowed us yanks to get one. I had my name on Newark's waiting list. I got an email from them this afternoon. I could now order one!

Alas, the expected ship date is April 1, 2012.... I sure hope it isn't an April fools joke since I charge $35 to my credit card.

They are ramping up production so anyone should be able to get on or more in a month or so.

Raspberry Pi

fos

• Like 1

The R-Pi should do the trick. I have a couple of projects I'm planning as well. I got a revised shipping date from Newark, it is now May 15.... shucks!

i didn't even try to buy, I read the news too late on my RSS feed. In the meanwhile their website had been already DDOSed twice :)

I'll wait until new stocks become available, i don't want to repeat the same experience I had with my HP Touchpad.

ciao,

cili0.

I can remember when HP was the premier technology company in the world. They sold the most cutting edge equipment and backed it up with absolute support. Unfortunately, they are just like any other tech company today.

• Like 1

I have a great interest in this little project. It could succeed in bringing a cheap computer to everybody, better than OLPC has managed to do till now.

Right now their shopping site is down, but today I read that a complete kit will be coming soon. Is this going to start a mini revolution?

Just think in how many ways Raspberry Pi could be used. The sky is the limit.

• Like 1

I have been following R-Pi for almost a year. It really is a credit card sized computer that will run Linux. So far, there are versions of Ubuntu, Arch, and Fedora ported. Since Ubuntu is working it shouldn't be long if not already that Debian will be available.

There are two commercial parts suppliers that have been licensed to sell the R-Pi, RS Systems and Farnell/Newark. That should make them easily available around the world. Once production ramps up they should be available off the shelf. I pre-ordered from Newark, my latest ship date is May 15.

You can get the links fo the suppliers on the R-Pi faq page:http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

fos

Thanks for the info, fos :)

I was there today, but I don't know why, I couldn't find it any longer.

They say that a Model B Bundle (A fully featured computer with Model B Raspberry Pi, wireless mouse, keyboard, wifi dongle, SD Card reader and all the essential accessories) will be available soon.

i have been monitoring the website for almost a year, but actually I'm not on a rush, I will get it once the hype behind the product will have ceased.

Honestly I don't think I could stand using a full-bloated linux distro on a system with just 256MB of RAM, but the system should be enough as a media center.

• Like 1

You are correct, the R-Pi would not do well with a full blown install. The three that are available have been tailored to fit. In particular it has Python for beginning programmers.

I would like to see something like Tiny Core or Puppy LInux ported to the ARM.

• Like 1

Actually the reason behind the project was to ease the teaching of programming, so no suprise that the OSes that have been tailored to fit well on the raspberry pi provide a comfy environment to learn how to code.

The combination of price, power consumption and the fact that the system is based on an ARM architecture has excited the *nix geeks, who are ready to use the raspberry pi in the most creative ways possible.

I don't think that OpenOffice or KOffice are available for ARM, so a good point to understand is whether there's a mature and robust word processor to be used on that system (i think that google docs or Office Live won't work because of the lack of RAM).

The Fedora port is now available. It includes Abiword for the word processor, vim and gedit for the programming text generation. It even include gimp.

It is pretty capable, all 18000 ports in the Fedora Arm repository are supposed to work. If you watch memory just about anything is possible.

• 10 months later...

Hi @ll,

has anyone tried to created a kernel for raspberry pi, or is there a working OSX system for raspberry pi? :king:

• Like 1

Hi @ll,

has anyone tried to created a kernel for raspberry pi, or is there a working OSX system for raspberry pi? :king:

ARM is similar to the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Apple TV 2/3

These are iOS powered ARM devices.

Too bad Apple doesn't release the ARM xnu sources.

We could hack it up to be an Apple TV e.g.

that would be a fantastic and cheap alternative, thanks for the information andy. I want to buy this board soon. :king:

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed! And my Samsung Chromebook could run iOS which, though not something I would want to do all day long, would be a fun project :D

I love my Pi, but it is just an educational tool more than anything else. For more powerful ARM units, you'll end up paying a little more (upwards of $100 or so), but they are much more capable with better support through Android, and probably other ARM based OSes, but the hardware support is not very wide. For anyone looking for a really beefy ARM unit, I'd look at the ODROID-U2. I'll probably get one in the summer to use as a full media center, rather than having to turn on the PS3 for youtube videos.

• Like 1