sata incompatibility w/ amd or nForce 4 and OS X

bigdbag

21 posts in this topic

Do AMD 64 machines with an nForce 4 chipset need ATA hard drives to install OS X 10.4.x? So far, I've tried everything, from changing options in BIOS and types of formatting my SATA drive, from NTFS to FAT32, to unallocated and unformatted. No matter what I do, Disk Utility in OS X does not see either of my 2 SATA drives, a 250GB Seagate, and a 160GB Maxtor. HELP!!!

Do AMD 64 machines with an nForce 4 chipset need ATA hard drives to install OS X 10.4.x? So far, I've tried everything, from changing options in BIOS and types of formatting my SATA drive, from NTFS to FAT32, to unallocated and unformatted. No matter what I do, Disk Utility in OS X does not see either of my 2 SATA drives, a 250GB Seagate, and a 160GB Maxtor. HELP!!!

If I use the 10.4.6 Myzar dvd, my SATA drives show up in Disk Utility and get mounted in finder on my Nforce 4 board, maybe try that release and see if you have any success?

I didn't install on them because that is where my windows install lives, but I am confident that I could have if I hadn't wanted to preserve my windows data

Jas 10.4.7 = JAZ ?

I use the 10.4.7 and here I saw on my Asus NF4 SLi Mobo the 2 Sata Drives. But I have a Raid 0 on them and the installer only shows me 2 seperate drives (ie like various Linux).

I did install on old Pata HD, which I wanted to sell but now it's fine for OSX...just use the bios to boot Raid or Pata - so OSX is fine booting in 20sec.

If you use Raid I'd recommend buying a cheap 80-160GB HD Pata for "playing" with OSX X86.

Is there a 3rd party sold SATA controller that us nForce 4 guys can plug in that is known working? I have removed windows now and have my 10k rpm drives rendered useless until I find a solution to this. When the check the compatibility it seems they are all motherboard integrated chipsets...

Yep, just ULI, not nForce4... And all ULI SATA-II chipsets are AHCI compatible (AFAIK) so that's not really an issue

(unless there is some hidden darwin-controller incompatibilty like the one we're seeing on nForce 4).

• 3 weeks later...