macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

anybody having issues with the camera in 10.9.2? Neither Skype or FaceTime seems to be picking it up, can't find much support on the topic since it was originally supported without a kext...

Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_2HDM:

Product ID: 0x2fb1

Vendor ID: 0x0408  (Quanta Computer Inc.)

Version: 9.01

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: CN07CN2C7866421G0209A00

Location ID: 0x1a140000 / 4

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 250

i am no longer interested in os x, i haven't used os x in last 8-9 months. I am happy with my customized versions of Windows 7.

So i have no idea whether camera works on os x 10.9.2 or not.

AFAIK os x 10.9 is a buggy release, one of my friends who works in apple R&D shared his views with me and suggested me to simply wait for os x 10.10.

So i would say is stick with os x lion 10.7.5 which is optimized and stable release from apple.

os x 10.8 & os x 10.9 are big failures just like vista for msft.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

So I am finally getting ready to do this. I have looked through the thread. I didnt read everything and used the search function for the topics I was interested in. 

So how is sleep working? I have seen a lot of hit or miss comments on it. Some seem to say it works and others say it doesn't. 

The kexts in the op, are they the latest? 

I didnt want to use a usb WIFI dongle, so I ordered a new wifi PCI card that I know is supported. 

Is there anything else I should be concerned with? Any suggestions? 

Thank you!

Ryan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ rlasalle15 - Everything depends on your configuration. Most of the things works excepts Wif, you can either buy a USB dongle or replace the internal Intel card with DELL 1510 which is 802.1n card and works natively in OS X. 

The kexts are for 10.8. Which version are you planning to install? I have updated kexts till 10.9.2 except for audio which is from 10.9.1. Too lazy to post them to download section. 

• Like 1

@ rlasalle15 - Everything depends on your configuration. Most of the things works excepts Wif, you can either buy a USB dongle or replace the internal Intel card with DELL 1510 which is 802.1n card and works natively in OS X. 

The kexts are for 10.8. Which version are you planning to install? I have updated kexts till 10.9.2 except for audio which is from 10.9.1. Too lazy to post them to download section. 

I just sent it back to you in PM..

Hey thanks for getting back to me. I have the l702x with the 2760 processor. I am attempting the vanilla install. I have gotten the succesful install, but on reboot its always a black screen. I backed up all of the graphics kext, but it still wont boot into safe mode. I am working on Mountain Lion. I didnt really have any success getting the 1920x1080 resolution working on Maverick. I have noticed that on ML it always wants to load Nvidia module during boot. 

I also bought a pci wifi card that I know is supported...I just need to install it this weekend. 

Here are the files to setup Clover. You would need unlocked A19 BIOS and set the boot mode to UEFI+Legacy.

Follow this guide to make a USB installer: http://cloverboot.weebly.com/

Also, you need to update the config.plist to have a proper serial number generated from apps such as Chameleon Wizard.

If you want speedstep. Generate or use your CPU's SSDT.aml and place it in EFI/Clover/apci/patched folder.

Note: AppleHDA for 10.9.2 is not included. I haven't been able to get around and work on it. But you can use VoodooHDA for audio to the time being. 

Added AppleHDA.

Added Utilities.

XPS 17 L702X 10.9.2-Clover.zip

• Like 2

I sent this to you as well @webcivilian...but I will put it here as well. 

Okay almost have everything done...just have a few questions before I install. 

The ssdt generator...runs pretty fast and spits out an ssdt. I just put that into the clover usb?

I ran chameleon wizard...selected 8,3 macbook and that gave me a serial number, bios number and and such. Then i took those and used them to replace what was in boot.lst. Did I do that right?

Then I just have a question on the usb for windows from the other dell forum.

Do I need to remove any kexts from SLE?

Thanks!

@rlasalle15 - Yes, put the generated SSDT into the EFI/Clover/apci/patched folder. Update the config.plist file in EFI/Clover. We don't use boot.plist as that is only used in Chameleon.

You don't need any kexts to move before installation (you can install them using kext wizard once the installation is complete). Once boot into Clover select the 'Install OS X Mavericks' option and press Spacebar key. Then select "don't use caches and inject kexts" option and press enter.

After you have successfully installed OS X. You still have boot from the USB and then select your installed OS X partition by repeating the above step. You can then use Kext Wizard to install the kexts which are located under EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9 folder. Also, at this point you can install Clover on the hard drive and apply the same configuration that you did to configure Clover on the USB.

I took your config.plist and updated it with the #s Chameleon Wizard gave me. 

I will be home about 630est and will try to start an install. I am still a little hazy on the usb clover info from the other dell topic that you gave me. 

Clover Instructions for XPS 17 L702X Optimus. 

1. Format a USB drive (8GB or bigger) with GUID partition scheme and HFS+.volume, naming it CloverBoot (Install Guide: http://cloverboot.weebly.com/)

2. Download Clover and install it on the USB. (customize install, select the Install for UEFI MB option)

3. Download OS X from the App store and follow the instructions on http://cloverboot.weebly.com/ to make a bootable installer.

4. Download my Clover files and put those on the USB's EFI volume.

5. Update the config.plist file. (Update the SMBIOS section with proper serial number generated by tools like Chameleon Wizard for Macbook 8,3)  

6. Put your systems's SSDT.aml file in Clover/ACPI/patched folder. Not Required.

7. Set the BIOS boot to UEFI+Legacy mode. (need modded A19 BIOS)

8. Boot from USB Clover. (if you need to boot into Windows press F12 and select the hard drive usually first or second)

9. Select "Install OS X Mavericks 10.9.2" and press spacebar.

10. Select "ignore caches and inject kext" and press enter.

11. In the OS X installer select the hard disk where you want OS X to be installed. Must be GUID partition scheme and a HFS+ formatted volume. (Format if necessary) 

12. The installer will restart after sometime. Boot again using the USB and selecting "Install OS X Mavericks 10.9.2" (repeat step 9 and 10)

13. This time it will finally start installing OS X on the hard drive. (takes around 20 to 30 minutes)

14. Boot from USB Clover and this time select your OS X hard drive where you installed Mavericks and press spacebar.

15. Select "ignore caches and inject kext" and press enter. (this will start OS X for the first time).

16. Complete installation by installing Clover on your hard drive.

17. Put the Clover files in your OS X hard drive EFI volume.

18. Install the kexts using Kext Utility from EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9 on your OS X hard drive.

XPS 17 L702X 10.9.2-Clover.zip

• Like 3

Open Terminal and run:

1. diskutil list (This will list your USB drive number-if you have multiple EFI partitions, you can find it by the size of the disk)

diskutil list

2. Create a mount point:

mkdir /Volumes/efi

3. Mount the EFI partition: (replace the disk0 with your USB disk number )

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
  • Like 1

@rlasalle15 - No need to use VoodooHDA anymore. Just use the attached AppleHDA for 10.9.2.

There are four files: (Put config.plist in your EFI partition. Install kexts using Kext Utility)

config.plist - Added AppleHDA kext patching on the fly. Use this config.plist, make sure to update the serial number and other items that you generated using Chameleon Wizard or just copy the KernelAndKextPatches section to you config.plist

AppleHDA.kext - Mostly untouched just added our platform and layout as aml.zlib files for ALC665.

CustomPeripheral.kext - Used to inject our audio device config (thanks to TimeWalker75a)

CodecCommander.kext - Sends EAPD command to our audio device, prevents it from sleeping and stop working (thanks to TimeWalker75a)

AppleHDA XPS 17 - L702X Clover Audio.zip

• Like 2

@mackyreddy - can you put my Clover instructions for Mavericks 10.9.2 in the original post. Maybe update the title to Mountain Lion/Mavericks and post my files(XPS 17 L702X 10.9.2-Clover.zip) and instruction (This post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273500-os-x-mountain-lion-install-guide-for-dell-xps-17-l702x-optimus/?p=2009722) as second option after your instructions.