USB 3.0 card - ASM1042 OS X drivers from Highpoint(Mac)

mitch_de

72 posts in this topic

Thanks for package, got this installed on OS X 10.7.4, but when connected my Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000 Webcam or iPhone 4, got some system kernel panic.

There must be still problem with this mod kexts ;(

Strange, it has no problem with my usb 3 hdd enclosure or my motorola xoom. Did you uninstall any previous usb3 drivers first?

Strange, it has no problem with my usb 3 hdd enclosure or my motorola xoom. Did you uninstall any previous usb3 drivers first?

Didnt have any before.

For now it seems to work OK, but my installation was only to copy 3 kexts to S/L/E

CalDigitFastIO.kext

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext

How i can test this now?

post-695598-0-23094600-1339436410_thumb.jpg

Didnt have any before.

For now it seems to work OK, but my installation was only to copy 3 kexts to S/L/E

How i can test this now?

Well you didn't get CalDigitHDProDrv.kext from my installer package thats for sure so I'm not going to stick my neck out as i can only vouch for stuff that I have tested :)

• Like 2

Well you didn't get CalDigitHDProDrv.kext from my installer package thats for sure so I'm not going to stick my neck out as i can only vouch for stuff that I have tested :)

This is why i had KP before, problem solved, thanks ;)

You did good work man, as my pci-e USB 3.0 controller was not used for about 5 months.

Now need to do some tests...

[12 June 2012 10:15 AM]

It is about 16h and still no KP, controller seems to work just fine.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Andy,

I got the same error from your installer package in which there are only two files instead of three.

That means one file (CalDigitHDProDrv.kext) is missing for me.

Hi, Andy,

I got the same error from your installer package in which there are only two files instead of three.

That means one file (CalDigitHDProDrv.kext) is missing for me.

In Andy's package you have only two kext:

CalDigitFastIO.kext

CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext

Nothing else.

Check if you have there other kext for USB3, then delete them. Or start from fresh OSX.

• 1 month later...

First, thank you for your work.

I have this mobo : Asrock ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT with a ASMedia ASM1042 USB3 controller. (OSX 10.7.4)

I tried to install CalDigitFastIO.kext and CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext with the installer provided (ASMedia USB 3.0 Driver Installer)

They don't load, and USB3 does not appear in system profiler

When I force load CalDigitFastIO.kext : no problem.

=> When I force load CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext , I get this error msg in Console :

28/08/12 02:14:42,000 kernel: kxld[com.CalDigit.driver.CalDigitUSBxHCI]: The super class vtable '__ZTV17IOUSBControllerV3' for vtable '__ZTV15CalDigitUSBxHCI' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.

Do you think I can do something ?

• 3 weeks later...

Working fine on my new Asus board. There's a DSDT edit needed in order to prevent the ports immediately waking the computer from sleep. Thanks to mlydinesh@ for posting the kexts and info on osx86.net.

First, use IORegistryExplorer to find your USB3 ports. You'll know by the vendor/device id. Then place the following code into each instance.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0A)
						{
							"AAPL,clock-id",
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x02
							},
							"AAPL,slot-name",
							Buffer (0x07)
							{
								"Slot-4"
							},
							"name",
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								"ASMedia XHCI Controller"
							},
							"model",
							Buffer (0x28)
							{
								"ASMedia ASM1042 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller"
							},
							"device_type",
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"USB Controller"
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}

Here's a pic of my DSDT showing where I put them. I removed the slot-name attribute as these are onboard ports, so I didn't want them showing up in the PCI Cards section of System Profiler. The name, model and device_type attributes are all optional and cosmetic. Only clock-id is required to fix sleep.

The only remaining issue is any storage devices attached to the USB3 ports will be improperly removed on wake.

kernel[0]: [0xffffff8018d7d400](0)/(5) Device not responding
kernel[0]: disk3s1: media is not present.

P.S. CalDigitHDProDrv.kext comes with 10.8 (and maybe earlier).

• Like 2

I`ve got problem with CP after installing my $10 NEC/Renesas ud700200 USB3.0 PCIe card

PXHDC.kext 10.0.1 from osx86 helped to discover my 3TB Seagate HDD on system but when I`m trying to transfer file into HDD Box i`ve got CP

Here is my Dev ID

nciz7.png

and IOreg

70xlb4.png

my kext plist

9vfx3a.png

I don`t get it right with plist string IOPCIClassmatch first & second ID ???

Remove works too.

I had a chance to try this out with my first usb3 device: a usb hard drive dock. It works flawlessly. Which is more than I can say about Windows 7. ML definitely benefits from the native usb3 support. Eventually I got it stable on Windows 7 by installing the Asus USB 3 Boost driver. Without this I couldn't copy more than 1 or 2gb of a file before the drive disappeared.

All it needs now is to stop ejecting the drives on wake. Not a big issue for me as I don't use sleep, but it's nice to have things working perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, I built an installer package http://www.mediafire...1d5b9nr066r2oxe

thanks man, I confirm it work too on my Asus P8H67-M/PRO onboard USB3, it solved my sleep, shutdown problem (previous kext (PXHCD.kext) had sleep, shutdown issue)

but I can't get your installer do the installation, I had to extract the files and install two kexts directly. (CalDigitFastIO.kext, CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext)

and other thought, not sure with other people experience that can't use this kext work on their system, but once before I updated my asus onboard USB3 firmware using "ASUS USB 3.0 Boost Full Package Version V1.00.05 Driver" (this was to make my first PXHCD.kext work with USB3).

• 2 weeks later...

Will this work on other Asus boards? I have P5Q-E.

Working fine on my new Asus board. There's a DSDT edit needed in order to prevent the ports immediately waking the computer from sleep. Thanks to mlydinesh@ for posting the kexts and info on osx86.net.

First, use IORegistryExplorer to find your USB3 ports. You'll know by the vendor/device id. Then place the following code into each instance.

{
					Store (Package (0x0A)
						{
							"AAPL,clock-id",
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x02
							},
							"AAPL,slot-name",
							Buffer (0x07)
							{
								"Slot-4"
							},
							"name",
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								"ASMedia XHCI Controller"
							},
							"model",
							Buffer (0x28)
							{
								"ASMedia ASM1042 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller"
							},
							"device_type",
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"USB Controller"
							}
						}, Local0)
					Return (Local0)
				}

Here's a pic of my DSDT showing where I put them. I removed the slot-name attribute as these are onboard ports, so I didn't want them showing up in the PCI Cards section of System Profiler. The name, model and device_type attributes are all optional and cosmetic. Only clock-id is required to fix sleep.

The only remaining issue is any storage devices attached to the USB3 ports will be improperly removed on wake.

kernel[0]: [0xffffff8018d7d400](0)/(5) Device not responding
kernel[0]: disk3s1: media is not present.

P.S. CalDigitHDProDrv.kext comes with 10.8 (and maybe earlier).

Will this work on other Asus boards? I have P5Q-E.

It's not really what you need if you're having sleep issues with that board. It's an old board so you should be able to find a DSDT patch for it here. That should include all the patches required including one for USB.

• 1 month later...

Highpoint annonces 2 USB 3.0 cards for Mac.

http://www.highpoint...r/RU1022AM.html

Uses the ASM1042 chipset (i checked the device/vebdor id in their os x driver)

post-110586-0-79460100-1323345943_thumb.jpg

Datasheet highpoint Mac:

http://www.hptmac.co...etU_for_Mac.pdf

http://www.highpoint...r/RU1022AM.html

This chipset is used on some PC cards also and they are very cheap (< 12 €, < 20 US$)

OS X driver (up to 10.7) + info:

http://www.hptmac.co...ewtype=download

Someone know which value to hex edit in the binary to bypass the manufacturer protection ? To make it work with other brands (like modbin made for the Lacie kext aka PXHCD) ?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I used the package from post #35 and tried it with 10.8.2 and 10.8.3 with the same result.

Both kexts can be loaded manually when the system is running and the USB ports start working.

But as soon as I put them into Extensions and reboot, I can't reach the login screen.

It hangs right after the usual verbose output.

To avoid conflicts, I removed CalDigitHDProDrv.kext manually as the official CalDigit driver installer would do.

EDIT:

The solution was to edit the compatible device inside the property list.

Deleting the list did not work for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Inspired by some DSDT code I found on RampageDev's site while trying to get these kexts running on my new build, I've changed the sleep-fix DSDT code I posted previously. Instead of the cosmetic entries it now injects the device IDs that the CalDigit kexts expect. So they now load without any plist edits. You can also use the Oyen Digital driver with this edit. Performance is the same and it's a single kext rather than two.

{
				 Store (Package (0x0A)
					 {
						 "vendor-id",
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
								 0x33, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
						 },
						 "device-id",
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
								 0x94, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
						 },
						 "subsystem-id",
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
								 0x94, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
						 },
						 "subsystem-vendor-id",
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
								 0x88, 0x21, 0x00, 0x00
						 },
						 "AAPL,clock-id",
						 Buffer (One)
						 {
								 0x02
						 }
					 }, Local0)
				 Return (Local0)
			 }

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks Riley.

This works on P8Z77-V Pro. The ASMedia 1042 is located at RP08:

Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 7.44.29 PM.png

However, System Information reports "Up to 480 Mb/sec" for my SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive (love this thing, it's so fast!), which is wrong.

This happens with both the Oyen and CalDigit drivers - when I plug it into one of the Intel ports i get "Up to 5 Gb/sec".

Maybe I should be using these?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/