{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

thinking on trying mountian lion

Hey Mohamed! Thank you for all your sharing of useful info! Just wanted to ask if you had a chance to try the ML and whether it looks any more promising to get the GT 525 M to work or disabling it to stop it from eating up the battery to extend the battery time (I am getting only 2:30 hours on 10.7.3 vs 5:00 hrs on Windows 7). Thanks in advance!

Btw still can't get QE/CI work on Mohamed's configuration. I have native resolution 1366x768 but no 3D. Where to get proper kext? I have also Mohamed's DSDT. Wifi is fully working now, looks like bluetooth and sound works also. Only Intel HD 3000 does not :(

upd: btw, writing this from my hack'n'tosh :D

Someone, can you please advise, there are lots of artifacts on the screen from the graphic card (running i5 with Nvidia and Intel Wifi). Please, I am unable to figure this out! Honestly!

Are you getting those artifacts when you boot into OS X without DSDT? I get some occasional artifacts but they are minor and rare (on n5110 with i7-2670QM). And it'd be easier to judge if you could post some screen shots.

nvidia card isn't working so no large power consumption

I believe GT 525 M is powered up and while there's no solution available yet to get it to operate as a fully functional video adapter it simply consumes power and generates heat. I suspect that is the most probable reason for a shorter battery life (almost 50% of what I get in Windows 7) and the more intensive fan operation under Lion vs Windows 7. I observed that when I make the Nvidia active for all programs in Windows 7 (so that all video gets processed through the card - not sure if that deactivates Intel HD3000 but still) my battery life gets very close to what I get in OS X. That leads me to believe that if we could find a way to patch DSDT to power down NVidia - we'd get a quieter, cooler and longer operation on battery in Lion on our n5110.

I've discovered a great topic over here - http://www.projectos...573

I tried to pull together into a single post everything I could understand in there and posted again some question. It'd be great if you guys could join in on the effort. It's quite a pity that NVidia is just "spinning" for nothing and eats up 40-50% of the battery and adds to the heat and noise of this nice laptop!

Are you getting those artifacts when you boot into OS X without DSDT? I get some occasional artifacts but they are minor and rare (on n5110 with i7-2670QM). And it'd be easier to judge if you could post some screen shots.

I believe GT 525 M is powered up and while there's no solution available yet to get it to operate as a fully functional video adapter it simply consumes power and generates heat. I suspect that is the most probable reason for a shorter battery life (almost 50% of what I get in Windows 7) and the more intensive fan operation under Lion vs Windows 7. I observed that when I make the Nvidia active for all programs in Windows 7 (so that all video gets processed through the card - not sure if that deactivates Intel HD3000 but still) my battery life gets very close to what I get in OS X. That leads me to believe that if we could find a way to patch DSDT to power down NVidia - we'd get a quieter, cooler and longer operation on battery in Lion on our n5110.

I tried to pull together into a single post everything I could understand in there and posted again some question. It'd be great if you guys could join in on the effort. It's quite a pity that NVidia is just "spinning" for nothing and eats up 40-50% of the battery and adds to the heat and noise of this nice laptop!

i was trying with DoiX to disable our nvidia card

but as you see i failed and given up

our notebook acpi table is complicated on some sort

as now iam trying to get acpi montior and nearly also will fail

this is because it need a person who studited programming langauge and to me i study a diffrent sciences (medecin)

so it is too hard to me to go farther than that :(

any way there are a notice that the temp of nvidia card is elevate and get down with the temp of cpu and on the same rang

Thanks for remarking my post, I am quite desperate. Here are a few screenshots: Screen_Shot_2012_04_08_at_5_47_46_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2012_04_08_at_5_45_40_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2012_04_08_at_5_47_28_AM.png

I have tried "GraphicsEnabler=No" with no luck. Mission Control freezes for a few seconds (10 - 20) and on very very very rare occasions the system boots up without any artifacts, but then after 15 minutes or so it goes all crazy again. :(

I will take a look into this and come back tomorrow with further details. Thanks

Hey Mohamed, first of all thanks for taking interest in my issue:

• Here are a few updates from my end: Sadly I was unable to locate an external monitor with VGA cable :(.

• I have noticed that the above artifacts go away if I change to a lower resolution (but only for a while).

• Using your DSDT file makes this N5110 model freeze quite often and it seems that it favors the impact of the Artifacts throughout the screen.

• Accessing Mission Control makes the whole animation freeze for a while.

Everything is looking and working awesome except the freezes and the artifacts which make this wonderful piece of machine 80% unusable. :(

I would love to be able to assist you with this since I have noticed that there are quite a few people (hundreds) experiencing these issues on various Sandy Bridge processors + HD3000.

Please let me know if you need anything else from my end.

Everything is looking and working awesome except the freezes and the artifacts which make this wonderful piece of machine 80% unusable. :(

I would love to be able to assist you with this since I have noticed that there are quite a few people (hundreds) experiencing these issues on various Sandy Bridge processors + HD3000.

Are you getting any of these artifacts when running Windows 7? It is important to make sure that when in Windows you choose Intel Graphics as your default video adapter and check in the NVidia control panel that NVidia GPU activity is None. If you're not getting the artifacts in Windows I believe this should mean there's no problem with your hardware (i.e. monitor etc.).

It is usually not the best idea to take someone's DSDT and use it as there could be some differences between machines of the same model. You can use DSDT Editor to open .aml versions of modded DSDTs you download from here and other forums and save them as .dsl files - then you can use the Compare option in Word (in Windows) and compare your DSDT (original is best to start with) and any modded you download - it will take a lot of time but would be very useful. You'd be able to identify each patch separately and verify if it was applied properly whenever you patch things yourself.

You can try the DSDT from here - http://www.projectos...indpost&p=17613

I just did and it worked great (I did compare it with mine in Word before I applied it to see what was different - there are A LOT of code added to the video section to disable NVidia - I am not 100% sure it is powered down completely but my laptop runs cooler and quieter now and reports longer battery life). Who knows, maybe somehow it would resolve the artifacts you're getting.

Hey Mohamed, first of all thanks for taking interest in my issue:

• Here are a few updates from my end: Sadly I was unable to locate an external monitor with VGA cable :(.

• I have noticed that the above artifacts go away if I change to a lower resolution (but only for a while).

• I have tried to apply RevoGirl's patch on the Intel Kext (http://revogirl.word...3000-vram-size/) - this faked my VRAM to 512 and then switched back to the default ?328? . As a result the artifacts are not so constant anymore but still present and very very annoying!

• Using your DSDT file makes this N5110 model freeze quite often and it seems that it favors the impact of the Artifacts throughout the screen.

• Accessing Mission Control makes the whole animation freeze for a while.

see the artifact on laptop screen may come from connector to laptop screen or size of memory or some thing else

so i want to exclude that thus artifact is from connector so testing on VGA monitor will do that

it is just mac software compatibility with hardware

try delete

appleintelhd3000graphics.kext +bundle

backup them

and see if artifact gone or not ?

Are you getting any of these artifacts when running Windows 7? It is important to make sure that when in Windows you choose Intel Graphics as your default video adapter and check in the NVidia control panel that NVidia GPU activity is None. If you're not getting the artifacts in Windows I believe this should mean there's no problem with your hardware (i.e. monitor etc.).

It is usually not the best idea to take someone's DSDT and use it as there could be some differences between machines of the same model. You can use DSDT Editor to open .aml versions of modded DSDTs you download from here and other forums and save them as .dsl files - then you can use the Compare option in Word (in Windows) and compare your DSDT (original is best to start with) and any modded you download - it will take a lot of time but would be very useful. You'd be able to identify each patch separately and verify if it was applied properly whenever you patch things yourself.

I just did and it worked great (I did compare it with mine in Word before I applied it to see what was different - there are A LOT of code added to the video section to disable NVidia - I am not 100% sure it is powered down completely but my laptop runs cooler and quieter now and reports longer battery life). Who knows, maybe somehow it would resolve the artifacts you're getting.

if he was having this problem with windows he would return it

it is just related to mac drivers

the dsdt table and other tables is on notebook bios

that we all us it from dell support

so dsdt will be same to all this notebook user with the same bios version

the dsdt change only when there are bios update and on it some modification on acpi tables

so we must use the new dsdt table and mod it

this is from my knowledge with dsdt

i will see this edit now and see what will it do ;)

hope he join us here :)

-------------------------------------------------

LOL he use PS0 PS3 -ON -OFF -ROM from Diox DSDT-off !!

any way will try this :)

I do not get these artifacts under Windows. After installing the suggested DSDT file that was updated in the tutorial the artifacts do not show up anymore, but the system is really sluggish.

I am fairly new to the whole "DSDT Patching scene" because I mostly use Macs. I need to make this Inspiron to work because I need an extra machine for software development.

Can you please advise on what to do in order to make the machine run as smoothly as possible?

I do not get these artifacts under Windows. After installing the suggested DSDT file that was updated in the tutorial the artifacts do not show up anymore, but the system is really sluggish.

I am fairly new to the whole "DSDT Patching scene" because I mostly use Macs. I need to make this Inspiron to work because I need an extra machine for software development.

Can you please advise on what to do in order to make the machine run as smoothly as possible?

but the system is really sluggish.

how ?

but the system is really sluggish.

how ?

I get constant freezes when doing random things like opening apps (i.e. Safari) or, even worse, Mission Control. The system freezes for 10 seconds or so and then get back up. Let's call it an "over-all slowness" if you will.

I translated your post into Russian. Thank you for all. Topic is here

http://pcmacnews.ru/...inspiron-n5110/

Add link to your post, if you can.

Я перевел этот Guide на Русский. Всем желающим идти сюда:

http://pcmacnews.ru/...inspiron-n5110/

done sorry for late :(

I get constant freezes when doing random things like opening apps (i.e. Safari) or, even worse, Mission Control. The system freezes for 10 seconds or so and then get back up. Let's call it an "over-all slowness" if you will.

open consle and see if on log some thing like this

May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: WaitForStamp: Overflowed waiting for stamp 0x2f3 on Main ring: called from
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: timestamp = 0x02cc
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: ****  Debug info for apparent hang in Main graphics engine  ****
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: ring head   = 0x00600eb4, wrap count = 0x 3
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: ring tail   = 0x00000110 ring control = 0x00003801   enabled, auto report disabled,  waiting, semaphore not waiting, length = 0x004 4KB pages
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: timestamps = 0x02cc
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: Semaphore register values:
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: VRSYNC: (0x12044) = 0x2cc
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: BRSYNC: (0x22040) = 0x0
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: RVSYNC: (0x 2040) = 0x0
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: BVSYNC: (0x22044) = 0x0
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: RBSYNC: (0x 2044) = 0x0
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: VBSYNC: (0x12040) = 0x0
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: Looks like Main ring is stuck waiting on an event
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: After attempt to clear wait condition = 0x00003001 no longer waiting
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: kIPEHR: 0x7a000003
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: kINSTDONE: 0xfffb
May 25 23:20:45 xs-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: kINSTDONE_1: 0x230003f

you may need to read this

solution for video freezing

Replaces the display (LCD) for a new one.

The former possessed a black connector problem and gave the new connector is gray and it works perfectly. If your notebook is still under warranty ask to change the LCD that is defective.

that's what we all here are trying to do :) we ask for advice and we give advice but I doubt there's one fix for all things - a lot of trial and error involved. why don't you start with filling out your signature so we know exactly what machine you're trying to "macentize" :), what kexts you have in your E/E and what kexts you installed into S/L/E and what bootloader you're using (sorry if you said it elsewhere but it's a lot more easier if you have that in your sig) - and while you need a fast solution - you should still prepare to spend time learning new things - and I am no expert in patching dsdt or anything else - all I do is compare and ask why the difference - and once you know how - it's not rocket science anymore :) just take it easy :)

it works :D

added new dsdt to updates :)

Hey Mohamed! This might sound like a dumb question - just wanted to clarify for myself - what exactly in the IOreg screenshot in your post above shows that the card is powered down ? Is there a particular value? Or is there a string or a line that has to be there when the card is powered up and it is no longer there? I thought if the current power state line says 0x00 that might mean a component is not consuming any power at the moment - is that correct? Thanks in advance!!!

the dsdt table and other tables is on notebook bios

that we all us it from dell support

so dsdt will be same to all this notebook user with the same bios version

the dsdt change only when there are bios update and on it some modification on acpi tables

so we must use the new dsdt table and mod it

this is from my knowledge with dsdt

maybe you're right - you definitely know more about this stuff then I do - just from my experience I got KP when I tried your DSDT - my machine is a bit different although it is n5110. I don't remember now - but the processor section of your Dell should have only 4 threads on CPU definitions in DSDT (as your CPU is a 2-core i5 - 4 threads on hyper-threading), mine has 8 since it as a 4 core CPU - so I guess even if the BIOS is A09 version there maybe differences - however I am not 100% sure - just thinking out loud :). I use my service tag to get to the right page on Dell support - to make sure I download the right stuff for my model - but I realize some drivers and other files could apply across a whole range of models.

the processor section of your Dell should have only 4 threads on CPU definitions in DSDT (as your CPU is a 2-core i5 - 4 threads on hyper-threading), mine has 8 since it as a 4 core CPU

No - I was wrong - your DSDT has all 8 CPU definitions :)