Ati Radeon 9600 resources

65 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'd like to start a single topic which will cover all issues concerning Ati Radeon 9600. I kept looking for various information, and it's scattered over so many topics that it's getting really hard to find anything..

So, first of all my Radeon is 9600 PRO with 256MB ram on AGPx8. My system is Intel northwood (SSE2), Intel 865 chipset, 2 SATA HDDs.

First, some facts (I'm talking about Tiger 10.4.6 and 10.4.7, JaS releases):

- You shoud get CI and QE out of the box, without any additional drivers. However, you will only get VESA 1024x768 resolution. My card is detected to have 256MB ram.

- Callisto driver 008 itself will give you all resolutions in system preferences, I have it working at 1680x1050x32. You will not get QE and CI by default.Does anybody get better results with different versions of Callisto?

- If you point ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin to CallistoFB frambuffer, you'll get QE and CI. Details are given in Callisto installation instructions.

- You can enable QE2D and disable BeamSync with QuartzSimple (http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11550). However, I did not see the difference in speed with QE2D enabled.

- You will surely get problems with mouse rendering - mouse will more or less often leave rubbish on the desktop, it seems this happens only when desktop are under mouse is being repainted. Also, Quicktime plugin in Firefox shows rubbish instead of black screen before you actually start the video. You can partially fix the mouse with MouseLocator, but it's not real fix, since mouse will continue to flicker when you hover it over anything which animates/repaints. Also, MouseLocator corrupts QuickTime video when I move mouse pointer over QT video area. Has anybody managed to get proper maouse rendering with QE and CI enabled by using different versions of Callisto/radeon9700 kexts/frameworks?

- Radeon 9600 AGP is detected as a PCI card. There is an AGP driver, AGPGart, which fixes it. It is only compatible with kexts from versions older than these available in 10.4.6. Still have not done it, first I need to extract older kexts from the install DVD. Can anyone who got 9600 working let me know which kexts/frameworks in which versions should I be using? Will AGPGart make any difference in graphics/video performance, or will it only change what's displayed in System Profiler?

I hope to get all the questions answered, and build a nice resource for all Radeon 9600 users.

Cheers

Greg

Hi,

Got ATI radeon 9600 PRO AGP 8x 128megs in my desktop computer and the mobility equivalent in my note book. (dell inspiron 8600c)

Notebook run 10.4.4 with callisto 0.3 and everything is smooth in 1680x1050. Also use mouse locator to clean mouse glitch.

Desktop run 10.4.7 with callisto 0.8 but is really slow i score 10 on xbench user interface. Other categories are ok!

I've try xbench also without callisto got same result!

I must miss an correct agp driver since my chipset is quite new . VIA VT880 pro/ultra MB:Asrock 775 DUAL VSTA

Anyone knew a workaround for agp ?

Regards

Mathias

Are you saying you've got QE and CI at 1680x1050 resolution? I have a Radeon AIW 9600 (2006 Edition) and can only get 1024x768, (plus 800x600 which is not available w/o Callisto) and lose QE and CI with Callisto.

"- If you point ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin to CallistoFB frambuffer, you'll get QE and CI. Details are given in Callisto installation instructions."

I don't see that in there, can you give me some details?

Thanks

Hi,

I'd like to start a single topic which will cover all issues concerning Ati Radeon 9600. I kept looking for various information, and it's scattered over so many topics that it's getting really hard to find anything..

So, first of all my Radeon is 9600 PRO with 256MB ram on AGPx8. My system is Intel northwood (SSE2), Intel 865 chipset, 2 SATA HDDs.

First, some facts (I'm talking about Tiger 10.4.6 and 10.4.7, JaS releases):

- You shoud get CI and QE out of the box, without any additional drivers. However, you will only get VESA 1024x768 resolution. My card is detected to have 256MB ram.

- Callisto driver 008 itself will give you all resolutions in system preferences, I have it working at 1680x1050x32. You will not get QE and CI by default.Does anybody get better results with different versions of Callisto?

- If you point ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin to CallistoFB frambuffer, you'll get QE and CI. Details are given in Callisto installation instructions.

- You can enable QE2D and disable BeamSync with QuartzSimple (http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11550). However, I did not see the difference in speed with QE2D enabled.

- You will surely get problems with mouse rendering - mouse will more or less often leave rubbish on the desktop, it seems this happens only when desktop are under mouse is being repainted. Also, Quicktime plugin in Firefox shows rubbish instead of black screen before you actually start the video. You can partially fix the mouse with MouseLocator, but it's not real fix, since mouse will continue to flicker when you hover it over anything which animates/repaints. Also, MouseLocator corrupts QuickTime video when I move mouse pointer over QT video area. Has anybody managed to get proper maouse rendering with QE and CI enabled by using different versions of Callisto/radeon9700 kexts/frameworks?

- Radeon 9600 AGP is detected as a PCI card. There is an AGP driver, AGPGart, which fixes it. It is only compatible with kexts from versions older than these available in 10.4.6. Still have not done it, first I need to extract older kexts from the install DVD. Can anyone who got 9600 working let me know which kexts/frameworks in which versions should I be using? Will AGPGart make any difference in graphics/video performance, or will it only change what's displayed in System Profiler?

I hope to get all the questions answered, and build a nice resource for all Radeon 9600 users.

Cheers

Greg

"- If you point ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin to CallistoFB frambuffer, you'll get QE and CI. Details are given in Callisto installation instructions."

I don't see that in there, can you give me some details?

Read the FAQ file included with the Callisto package. It is about half way down.

I installed here my radeon 9600 pro and my screen is just gradients.

I tryed then booting with 16bit color, with Graphics Mode option on boot, and it almost worked.. Now I have CI, but no QE, and colors are weird..

At least now I can open Chess.app

I'm running on an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 with 128MB memory. I have lots of mouse tearing, and it will only run at 1024x768 - I've got two 17" analog LCDs that max out at 1280x1024.

I tried the Callisto drivers, and they didn't seem to do anything. I gave the official ATI drivers a whirl to see if that would work, and they don't detect my video card (no big shock, though...).

It would be great if we could come up with a step-by-step solution of what all needs to be installed, added, deleted, and edited to get these cards working correctly. I'm resigned to the fact that dual-head video is never going to work correctly, but I'd at least like full resolution and no mouse tears!

I've searched through the Wiki and the forum quite a bit, and I've yet to find anything usable or easily understood.

Hi guys..i'm from the italian section of this forum :) and i think i've got amazing results with my ATi Radeon 9600 PRO 256mb AGP 3.0 8x (sorry for the huge model name :) )in fact this is my status in System Profiler:

Radeon 9600 AP:

Modello Chipset: Radeon 9600 AP

Tipo: Monitor

Bus: AGP

VRAM (totale): 256 MB

Fornitore: ATI (0x1002)

ID dispositivo: 0x4150

ID revisione: 0x0000

Monitor:

FLATRON 795FT Plus:

Risoluzione: 1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz

Profondità: Colore 32-bit

Core Image: Supportato

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

Quartz 2D Extreme: Supportato

Quartz Extreme: Supportato

It's in italian but i hope you can equally guess :) tell me if you don't but anyway it seems to be quite clear. Anyway, I have QE/CI/Q2DE and my video card recognised as AGP with AGPGART 2,0 Light for non-AMD chipsets (i am running 10.4.7 original kext, to get AGP support i just edited info.plist in AGPGart.kext this way on:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>AGPGart</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>1.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2000-2002</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AGPGart</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>AGP Gart driver fo OSX</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>AGPGart</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AGPGart</string>
		<key>IOAGPFlags</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AGPGart</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<array>
			<string>pci10de,e2</string>
			   <string>pciclass,060400</string>
		</array>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>1000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>
<string>Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2000-2002</string>
<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
	<string>1.1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>
	<string>1.1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>
	<string>1.1</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

i pasted the whole content so that you can see differences between mine and yours, and I also highlighted the string i've added. Everything is fine in my mac, the EDID string automatically matched and I have got to recognize the actual model of my monitor,so just ACTUALLY supported resolutions for me, i have no risk to get a wrong resolution and get black screens :D just, i notice that the ID Product of the Video Card is different than the one it should be: I own 9600 PRO (RV350) and the id's supposed to be 0x4152 but instead I get 0x4150 so mac sees my card as 9600 AP (RV3xx, i don't know :blink: ) and this makes me quite angry ;) i'm very satisfaid, but...anyway now i'm gonna give a try with Xbench and i'm obviously gonna post my results...c u :)

LITTLE EDIT: I have tried XBench with my own computer two times, once with AGP enabled and once without AGP, and here's the URL where you can see the differences (Red System is the one with AGP and blue one is the one without it): http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=189436&doc2=187936 let me know

iFreddy_91,

Thanks for the great post, that was last thing i was missing now have AGP, was wondering if u still had to use callisto, i have to for QE/CI

Radeon 9600 AP:

Chipset Model: Radeon 9600 AP

Type: Display

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4150

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Sceptre X20G-NagaIII:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz 2D Extreme: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

this did give me AGP and its AGPGart 1.1 lite not 2.0 for intel

Although i did get AGP the benchmark scores did not improve all that much,

EDIT:my bad openGL did not improve everything else did

@ifreddy- tnx for the info mate!! finally i got agp with qe and ci running- i used the AGPGart 1.1 lite, copied ur info.plist- used callisto 003- and after reboot- got AGP, QE and CI- with improved scores on xbench (except opengl),

intel 855PM, 9700 M ATI card..

all thats left is improved opengl, and that mouse tearing bug

by the way- what kext versions are you using? and ur opengl framework?

Thank you all guys, i'm very glad my method has worked for you all.Now i'm running Tiger 10.4.4 updated to 10.4.6 and after to 10.4.7 with JaS Patch and everything's working fine for me,except mouse tearing,but i think it doesn't exist yet a way to workaround it :) hope everything is working fine for you too, me I am using Callisto b008 (but i also tried 006 with equal result) and its CallistoFB framework.The kext are the original ones,except the AGPGart and the Callistos. C u soon :o

Federico

hi, tested iFreddy's stuff tonight. The bus gets detected as AGP, but the performance was worse than without AGPGart (i used the light version for intel).

xbench result for quartz was around 55, opposed to 68 before installing AGPGart. I used IOPCIFamily kext 1.8, AGPGart does not work with later versions.

Anyway, swapping IOPCIFamily i screwed it up by accident. So now osx won't boot even into single user mode.

Need to restrore the kext. Do you know, will I be able to run terminal from the installer disc, mount my drive and copy the kext files back? Or do I need to plug the drive to another intelmac?

Thank you for this. Now my AGP, QE, and CI works fine. Thank you again

Radeon 9550 AS:

Chipset Model: Radeon 9550 AS

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x4153

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

@saddam lennon- honestly i also did have better scores with iopcifamily 2.0- but on bootup- with -v option- i notced that there was bad bus addressing with my agp although upon bootup it osx would still show AGP, so i guess im sticking with either 1.8/1.7, still havent fixed my osx setup..

I have just upgraded my pc specifically for osx86. Got 10.4.4 running ok with my 9600XT using the above hints with Callisto b008 driver and AGPgart modified with that one line from freddy - works great, little bit of mouse tearing on the desktop but everything is running well enough that i can play wow without going too insane - 30-40fps when its quiet but can drop to 10-15fps in busy areas. I think my version is running the sse2 only patch although the cpu has sse3 & NX so i'll have to give the later JaS version a go in a few days to see if that improves any performance. (profiler doesnt list sse3 so im not sure)

Scoring around 84 in xbench dont know how that compares to a real mac, AGPgart seems to have added around 8-10 to the total score was in low 70s with just Callisto & PCI. Callisto seems to recognize my LG monitor without any modification and i can choose upto 1280x1024 in displays which is the limit of the monitor. Havent bothered to enable QE2d just yet as its running nicely anyway. Motherboard was carefully chosen from the wiki so that everything worked out of the box. (Asus P5P800 SE - sound, network, sata all work from default install)

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® D CPU

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 3.4 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM EST

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 0803 (American Megatrends Inc.)

Radeon 9600XT AR:

Chipset Model: Radeon 9600XT AR

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Device ID: 0x4152

Displays:

T710BH:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz

btw - iFreddy_91 do you know what those numbers in the modified agpgart line actually refer to? Wouldnt mind understanding how/why that one missing line make the two drivers work together :censored2:

Any dude, can you please do me a favor:

Please check that with Quartz Extreme supported, you have access to video controls (brightness, etc) in Quicktime...

This will prove that Quartz and Core are indeed installed and supported.

Also let me know which ATI Video card (AGP) is the best, I might change my aging nvidia one for a decent ATI one.

Cheers in advance

Hi guys, I'm currently running a nVidia GeForce2 MX 32MB and it's well over due for a updgrade. After finding out that coverflow wouldn't work on my computer because of no QE or CI I decided that I really need to updgrade. I'm thinking of buying a PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (256 MB), but I have a couple of question, I've read through the thread and I just want to get clarification before I spend my money.

What is AGP and what is so special about it, if I don't have it working what will I be missing out on?

Currently I'm only getting 1024x768 and I'm content with it. From what I read I will have that resolution right out of the box with QE and CI supported without having to do any type of changes correct? (I'm running 10.4.7 JaS, SSE2)

I don't play games on my computer but I would like to know how is the performance, I know this is sort of a budget card so I'm not expecting quantam leaps. Will iMovie, iDVD, Keynote, etc work with this card out of the box?

How much is this card these days, it can be found on eBay for 80-100 bucks, is there a cheaper online store where it can be found?

Lastly, do you guys think this card will be could enough to run Leopard when it does come out, I know there is know sure way to tell but I know that I'll run into lots of problems with my current card so I'll have to upgrade sometime, I just don't want to buy another card right after this one. I don't want to feel left out such as how most Windows users were with the whole "Aero" ordeal. I know that no one has a crystal ball that can give out all of Leapords extra features and stuff but shouldn't 256mb be enough for a OS?

Sorry for my long post which does not contribute to general knowledge of this thread but if anyone is kind enough to provide some answers I'm sure it will help users thinking about switching to this graphic card.

Hey

I just found out that Mac mini and MacBook Pro are both fitted with ATI Radeon X1600, so I was thinking that this card will have the most chances to be compatible with Hackintosh out of the box.

Any one uses one of these, particularly AGP?

Afraydo,

being in a similar situation to yours, I bought 9600 PRO. Also with 256mb ram. I'm pretty sure it will work with next few versions of osx - it supports the vertex/pixel shader spec required for osx.

it will not give you outstanding performance, but you'll watch videos, photos, do photoshop etc, expose will be smooth, and so on.

Anyway, since I have AGP bus on my motherboard, it was one of the few remaining cards I could buy. All the new ones only come in the PCI-Extreme version.

Greg

Afraydo,

being in a similar situation to yours, I bought 9600 PRO. Also with 256mb ram. I'm pretty sure it will work with next few versions of osx - it supports the vertex/pixel shader spec required for osx.

it will not give you outstanding performance, but you'll watch videos, photos, do photoshop etc, expose will be smooth, and so on.

Anyway, since I have AGP bus on my motherboard, it was one of the few remaining cards I could buy. All the new ones only come in the PCI-Extreme version.

Greg

What is AGP? My current card is PCI under the bus category. Does that mean that I will have problems getting this card to work? I'm not sure if it's supposed to be PCI it was just like that out of the box, my computer is 4-5 years old if that helps any.

Afraydo. AGP is the tipe of bus ,lets just say that the pci bus runs like 3 times slower wich doesnt let you to run things that are acelerated (3d,

fullscreen things like that).So even if you do not play games like Call

of duty 2 this is good even if you do not understand totally, believe me AGP IS BETTER THAN PCI.

hope that helps.