Laptop CPU Celeron M (Yonah) for Core Duo Switch

27 posts in this topic

I'm curious... The laptop I just inherited (Gateway MX6214) has the Intel Celeron M 420, which is a 1.6GHz Yonah based Celeron. It's the Celeron version of the Core Solo:

From Wikipedia:

The Celeron Yonah is a 65 nm Celeron M based on the Core Solo version (single-core) of the Yonah Core. Like its predecessors in the Celeron M series, this Celeron M has half of the L2 cache (1 MiB) of Core Solo and lacks SpeedStep. This core also brings new features to Celeron M including a faster front side bus (533 MT/s), SSE3 instructions, and support for the XD bit. This, like the Celeron D Cedar Mill-512, is probably the last Intel budget processor to use the "Celeron" name.

Now I'm curious... there are Core Duo's that support the 533 FSB. (the T2150 and T2250)

What are the chances I could slide one of these in?

If it's soldered onto the mobo, then zero percent. :)

Yeah I knew that! :)

I don't know if this one is soldered yet... I haven't cracked open the case just yet...

If it isn't soldered though.. what do you think?

That's what I thought as well...

Just don't want to drop 149.00 on a paperweight... I'm not sure what this BIOS can can not do...

Time to open it up first to see if it's soldered... my old Dell was socketed... but your prolly right and Gateway prolly soldered this puppy in place. Didn't think of that.. my old Dell spoiled me since everything was user chageable.

Just to update. According to what I've read... running CPU-Z should produce a 95% chance of telling you if it's socketed or soldered. PGA is socketed and BGA is soldered...

Mine says PGA and 479 Pin... so odds are I can stick a Core Duo in this machine :)

Best news I've gotten all day.

If I can get sound going... this might just be the perfect laptop for OS x86... I even stuck it next to a MBP.. very similiar in looks.. so I shoved an Apple sticker on the back :blink:

No I'm not sure... which is why I could look into the Core Solo... honestly I just want SpeedStepping... otherwise the Celeron M 420 is fine in this machine... it's just a Core Solo with half the L2 and no SpeedStep.

Although I don't have the machine in front of me.. I think the BIOS appeared to actually support 2 cores.

I'm curious...

here's my understanding so far.

The 479 and 478 are the same socket. Intel just labels for for oem and one for retail. am I correct?

My main concern is that the core duo/solo uses a 667FSB while the the Celeron M (Yonah) uses a 533FSB.

I'm not sure what is going to happen in this case. I'd hate to eat buying a core solo or duo.

edit: have a 1.83GHz OEM Core Solo 533FSB chip coming... well shall see....

Replying instead of editing for a bump

I just opened the laptop up... you wouldn't believe how easy it is to get to the CPU on this thing... this laptop was designed with easy access in mind. Open one panel on the bottom (6 screws) and you have access to ram/cpu/fan.

the hard drive is two screws and slides out.

nice.

anyway. it is in fact a socket and not soldered.

Socket mPGA479M

Comparing pins to a core solo as soon as I find an image online.

Update: Pins are the exact same in this cpu as in the solo and duo. So first I try a core solo.. if all goes well I'll be looking into a core duo next.

I know this might sound a little stupid but have you asked gateway?

I mean its quite possible they could give you an easy answer, I would email(I hate calling tech support) and just ask them....maybe they could tell you if the BIOS would even support it...

BTW I would also check the BIOS version online to see if there is an upgrade for it to support Core Solo/Duo.

I know this might sound a little stupid but have you asked gateway?

I mean its quite possible they could give you an easy answer, I would email(I hate calling tech support) and just ask them....maybe they could tell you if the BIOS would even support it...

BTW I would also check the BIOS version online to see if there is an upgrade for it to support Core Solo/Duo.

Gateway would not give me an answer... and I wanted to skirt around the issue as this machine is under warranty and do not want to admit to voiding anything.

The machine has no BIOS updates as of yet, but it is my belief that the BIOS would have to at the very minimum support the Core Solo as I said before the Celeron M 420 is just a gimped version of the Yonah Core Solo.

Well I decided to contact Gateway again. This time via email. They are sticking to a stock answer that is of no help, so I suppose this is going to stick to trial and error.

i can't find any decent reason why an OEM Core Solo won't work.

• 3 months later...

Hah!

I can beat this!

Am looking at souping my T4210 TabletPC (Core Duo) to a T4215 (Core 2 Duo)

That's the only difference, and you get a jump from 32bit to 64bit in the process. :D

CPU-Z says I'm socketed, so hopefully a direct swap should work.

Screw the £180 CPU, I just don't wanna burn out the £1200 Notebook.

Hmmm, I'd been slightly worried that There might be some huge untold hardware difference between the T4210 (Mine) CD TabletPC and the T4215 C2D. . .

Apparently, they share the same bios (Combined flash bios upgrade)

Thusly. . . Same hardware (Just a different chip)

Thusly. . . UPGRADEABLE!!!!!! XD

Superfast 64-bit machine, here I come!

• 1 month later...

Rogabean, how by chance, did your MX6214 lappy work with OSX86 for the keyboard/touchpad?

I have tried several various osx versions on my mx6214 and the keyboard or touchpad does not work no matter what!

I am also assuming that OSX 10.4.8 corrects this problem, since I've only tried 10.4.3 and 10.4.6 copies. Is it possible

that 10.4.8 includes the proper driver for the PS/2 bus on this model?

Also I believe the root problem of my laptop's keyboard not working in OSx86 is likely because of the PS/2

bus that it has is not compatible. Am I correct?

So I suppose my question is this: Did your mx6214 work out of the box for keyboard/touchpad like it was supposed to?

Tom Anderson aka digiplaya2005

(you can PM me or my email is: thetechnojedi@gmail.com)