23" Merom iMac on the way?

Swad

10 posts in this topic

AppleInsider, those purveyors of all things rumorical (yes, that's a neologism), are telling us to expect a 23" iMac (!) in September... possibly at the product announcement we mentioned yesterday.

I quoteth:

People familiar with the Mac maker's plans say it will sidestep Intel Corp's Core 2 Duo desktop processors, formerly code-named Conroe, in favor of adopting the mobile variant of chips, previously known as Merom, throughout the entire line. The company will also add a new member to the iMac family, a stunning 23-inch model, those same people say.

Apple's decision to forgo the use of Conroe in both its iMac and Mac Pro desktops suggests the chips are unlikely to find their way into the company's Mac computer line this year. It also explains why the Mac maker has yet to introduce new iMac models despite widespread availability of Conroe for several weeks. By contrast, Intel has only begun to ship Merom in production quantities within the last few days.

I'll hopefully be buying one as soon as it comes out (although my budget will likely require a smaller screen model, depending on pricing) so we'll hopefully have a review shortly after they're shipped.

Anyone else planning to buy one?

Wouldn't the other chips provide better performance for the desktops? I could understand using Merom in the Macbooks / Macbook Pros, but in the iMac and Mac Pro?

Pretty sure NO Meroms will replace Woodcrest... the MacPros will probably be outfitted with the up-and-coming "Santa Rosa" (?) expected to be released this coming winter.

Does this mean only the iMac and the Pro line (Mac Pro wouldnt be too logic) get a Merom Conroe. Not the Macbook I've been waiting to buy because I want that Core 2 Duo?

no, merom and conroe are 2 different things. merom is the laptop version, conroe the desktop version. rumors are that everything with a core duo now will get core 2 duo (merom). the mac pro has woodcrest (xeon)

Does this mean only the iMac and the Pro line (Mac Pro wouldnt be too logic) get a Merom Conroe. Not the Macbook I've been waiting to buy because I want that Core 2 Duo?

no, merom and conroe are 2 different things. merom is the laptop version, conroe the desktop version. rumors are that everything with a core duo now will get core 2 duo (merom). the mac pro has woodcrest (xeon)

For those that expected Conroe on iMacs, that's for the next mayor update (new design, whenever that comes). They will use merom on this minor update because merom will work with the current logic boards design