nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

i have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 as per your instructions .....

can i change it?

where i find it?

thanks a lot!

See here.......just replace the r1191 boot file in the / directory with the r1493 boot file by deleting the r1191 version and then copying the r1493 version to /......

See here.......just replace the r1191 boot file in the / directory with the r1493 boot file by deleting the r1191 version and then copying the r1493 version to /......

tanks,

i try this but don't go, i try to delete "NetwoekInterfaces" buy don't go

you have any idea?

tanks

tanks,

i try this but don't go, i try to delete "NetwoekInterfaces" buy don't go

you have any idea?

tanks

Some questions:

[1] How does System Information and About This Mac report your CPU?

[2] Post your SMBIOS plist and org.chameleon.Bootlist files here

[3] Post the messages you see when trying to log into the App Store and run FaceTime

Some questions:

[1] How does System Information and About This Mac report your CPU?

[2] Post your SMBIOS plist and org.chameleon.Bootlist files here

[3] Post the messages you see when trying to log into the App Store and run FaceTime

1) 2.63 ghz intel core 2 duo

2)smbios.plist.zip

3) Non è stato possibile verificare il tuo computer o dispositivo. Per maggiori informazioni, contatta l'Assistenza clienti.

It has not been possible to verify your computer or device. For greater information, it contacts the Assistance clients.

1) 2.63 ghz intel core 2 duo

2)smbios.plist.zip

3) Non è stato possibile verificare il tuo computer o dispositivo. Per maggiori informazioni, contatta l'Assistenza clienti.

It has not been possible to verify your computer or device. For greater information, it contacts the Assistance clients.

With your Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, you should be using a valid SMBIOS.plist for either:

iMac9,1 >>> Intel Core 2 Duo ("Penryn")

or

iMac10,1 >>> Intel Core 2 Duo ("Wolfdale")

not the MacPro3,1 one you are using......

See post #1 Part A. for the download link to Mald0n's Extra Folder and the instructions on how to use it in order to install the correct SMBIOS.plist in your /Extra folder......

With your Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, you should be using a valid SMBIOS.plist for either:

iMac9,1 >>> Intel Core 2 Duo ("Penryn")

or

iMac10,1 >>> Intel Core 2 Duo ("Wolfdale")

not the MacPro3,1 one you are using......

See post #1 Part A. for the download link to Mald0n's Extra Folder and the instructions on how to use it in order to install the correct SMBIOS.plist in your /Extra folder......

i have use Mald0n's Extra Folder iMac 9,1 and 10,1 but don't go....

I am about to surrender

i have use Mald0n's Extra Folder iMac 9,1 and 10,1 but don't go....

I am about to surrender

It may not be a single change that works for you.......in my own case, it took a few days of trying the different proposed solutions in different combinations before I connected to the App Store.....using Snow Leopard in 64bit mode >>>> SMBIOS.plist change >>>> Using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 >>>> Sorting Network Service by deleting the file "networkinterfaces.plist." etc.....

Issue 2. Setting up Builtin Ethernet manually / LAN0 / (en0) - proposed solutions

Hello everyone I wanted to know if you follow this guide can use my ethernet card without the use of Nforcelan.kext.

I ask this because I can not use the system on 64-bit mode (only 32-bit)

Because:

1) I use Nforce kext LAN 0.64.0 (64-bit mode not supported)

2) If i use Nforce LAN kext compiled for 64-bit, i can not shutdown or reboot the PC (only manually)

Motherboard: P5N - E SLI

Kilian :)

Hello everyone I wanted to know if you follow this guide can use my ethernet card without the use of Nforcelan.kext.

I ask this because I can not use the system on 64-bit mode (only 32-bit)

Because:

1) I use Nforce kext LAN 0.64.0 (64-bit mode not supported)

2) If i use Nforce LAN kext compiled for 64-bit, i can not shutdown or reboot the PC (only manually)

Motherboard: P5N - E SLI

Kilian :D

Your experience with your P5N-E SLI 650i nForce chipset MOBO and the nForceLAN.kext is unusual.....most users have no problems with nForceLAN.kext v0.64.5 in either 32bit or 64bit operation.....

I am only aware of OMEGA_RAZER who has a P5N-D 750i nForce chipset MOBO who can only shutdown or reboot via using Terminal commands.......perhaps his issue is linked to the 64bit nForceLAN.kext.......

I have not tried the DSDT patching for Device (LAN0), so cannot say if it will enable you to use the onboard LAN without needing the nForceLAN.kext..........why not just try it and see.....

I explain the problem better. With the kext 0.64.0 (32 bit) system reboot is successful, the same thing for the shutdown.

However, if i choose the kext compatible 64-bit the system remains stuck on "MACH REBOOT". Sometimes the pc goes off after a few minutes or sometimes does not turn off. It's a kext unload error? :)

I explain the problem better. With the kext 0.64.0 (32 bit) system reboot is successful, the same thing for the shutdown.

However, if i choose the kext compatible 64-bit the system remains stuck on "MACH REBOOT". Sometimes the pc goes off after a few minutes or sometimes does not turn off. It's a kext unload error? :)

OK I understand better now......

When you switch off please check if you see any message related to inet6 not being released or something about Ethernet not being released.......

is it possible have a log of the shutdown strings? Like when i boot in verbose mode :) thanks verdant

Go to Console >>>> /private/var/log/ >>>> launchd-shutdown.log......

There is the log, sorry but i can't understand where to see sorry...

Did the PC shut down without any problems when this log was generated....?

I try to do this on my Nvidia ION Atom tablet, I followed the guide exactly however instead of launching the install it reboots the computer after selecting the boot device in chameleon. In Verbose after loading the kernel and if I use (-f) it loads the kext but won't switch to the usual start up sequence. It just reboots.

I copied the Atom Kernel to the root of the drive. But it does not work.

Any idea how to fix this.

The last Reboot was not fine i had to shutdown with physical button

Go to Terminal and type:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

and see if you can then shutdown without having to use the PC button.....

I try to do this on my Nvidia ION Atom tablet, I followed the guide exactly however instead of launching the install it reboots the computer after selecting the boot device in chameleon. In Verbose after loading the kernel and if I use (-f) it loads the kext but won't switch to the usual start up sequence. It just reboots.

I copied the Atom Kernel to the root of the drive. But it does not work.

Any idea how to fix this.

I have no personal experience of OS X on nVidia ION Atom chipset MOBOs, so this topic does not offer any support for nVidia ION Atom chipset MOBOs ......are you using nawcom's Intel Atom kernel for OS X Lion 10.7.1.....?

Try booting into single user mode and repairing the kernel ownership and permissions via the Terminal:

chown root:wheel /"the kernel name"

chmod 644 /"the kernel name"

exit

Beyond this suggestion, this topic is not the place for you to find the right help......sorry......

Go to Terminal and type:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

and see if you can then shutdown without having to use the PC button.....

No solution (now the, they are about to surrender and return to the 32-bit version.

There are no more logs during the reboot, the monitor lose the video signal but the pc does not want to restart / shutdown :)

No solution (now the, they are about to surrender and return to the 32-bit version.

There are no more logs during the reboot, the monitor lose the video signal but the pc does not want to restart / shutdown :)

As turning Spotlight indexing off in OS X Lion did not help, you can turn it on again when you wish via Terminal by typing:

sudo mdutil -a -i on

You seem to have quite a few issues going on at the same time.....have you tried a new CMOS battery.....?

Howdy! Just got around to upgrading my i680 SLI system up to 10.7. I ended up encountering the [PCI configuration Begin] error and using the npci=0x2000 as indicated in your first solution fixed the issue. No other issues; Thanks for your massive documentation / troubleshooting / information herding efforts verdant! The guide is fantastic.

Just tossing a question/observation out about the nature of the AppleNForceATA driver for the nforce sata. When doing file transfers I get some fairly substantial cpu utilization (the process kernel_task). When moving data at 80-90 mb/ sec I can expect kernel_task to eat up between 40-70% of one core, which seems to be far more substantial than other machines running the standard driver. I never payed much attention to the system utilization and noticed that my 10.6.8 install does the exact same thing with the 32 bit driver (anv version, I believe)

Anyone else get high system usage w/ sata io?

I don't know if I am kicking a dead horse documented elsewhere with the question or It's just my hardware/software combo doing this.

Howdy! Just got around to upgrading my i680 SLI system up to 10.7. I ended up encountering the [PCI configuration Begin] error and using the npci=0x2000 as indicated in your first solution fixed the issue. No other issues; Thanks for your massive documentation / troubleshooting / information herding efforts verdant! The guide is fantastic.

Just tossing a question/observation out about the nature of the AppleNForceATA driver for the nforce sata. When doing file transfers I get some fairly substantial cpu utilization (the process kernel_task). When moving data at 80-90 mb/ sec I can expect kernel_task to eat up between 40-70% of one core, which seems to be far more substantial than other machines running the standard driver. I never payed much attention to the system utilization and noticed that my 10.6.8 install does the exact same thing with the 32 bit driver (anv version, I believe)

Anyone else get high system usage w/ sata io?

I don't know if I am kicking a dead horse documented elsewhere with the question or It's just my hardware/software combo doing this.

Glad you rate the guide so highly and appreciate my efforts in putting it together......:)

The imk AppleNForceATA.kext that we use for 64bit mode booting is based on AnV's non-working 64bit/32bit version of the original MeDevil kext.....so, your observation of similar behaviour in OS X LIon 64bit mode and in OS X Snow Leopard 32bit mode is not surprising.....

I have not yet checked the CPU utilisation on my PC while doing a large file transfer via SATA but assuming that what you see applies to any OSx86 nForce chipset MOBO PC and going back to our very early discussions, it could be one of the reasons why some people get KPs during heavy data transfers unless they boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.....

Cheers

verdant

Glad you rate the guide so highly and appreciate my efforts in putting it together......:D

The imk AppleNForceATA.kext that we use for 64bit mode booting is based on AnV's non-working 64bit/32bit version of the original MeDevil kext.....so, your observation of similar behaviour in OS X LIon 64bit mode and in OS X Snow Leopard 32bit mode is not surprising.....

I have not yet checked the CPU utilisation on my PC while doing a large file transfer via SATA but assuming that what you see applies to any OSx86 nForce chipset MOBO PC and going back to our very early discussions, it could be one of the reasons why some people get KPs during heavy data transfers unless they boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.....

Cheers

verdant

Thanks for the reply verdant.

That explains the consistent behavior. Previously; I had 8 500gig drives attached to this system w/ port replicator case + card and never encountered instabilities doing bulk file transfers (and that case/card still works w/ 10.7 in a stable fashion). However, I also was using the nforce ethernet and didn't typically see file transfer rates above 30-40 mb/sec. I installed a marvel pro nic recently and am finding that sustaining throughput up in the 90-95 mb/sec range seems to crash the machine. I thought it might be the nic but doing file transfers back and forth between my newer, faster sata drives seems to also cause crashes.

In the interest of further testing last night I put a highpoint card w/ the same disks I tested on built in sata on my system and did a bunch of bulk file transfers between the volumes. (it was my hope I could avoid the issue by using a different sata chipset. The results were not promising. The CPU utilization was relatively high; maybe 2/3rds of what it was when the drives were on the nforce sata. On my i7 system this card generates only 2-3% utilization on one core with the same transaction on the same drives. This is hitting a wolf dale core for 50%? Something isn't right here. I am wondering if this is being caused by some other issue. I suppose I'll do all these tests over w/ the chameleon flags and see what happens.

I might throw a usb stick on there and see if I can get the system to fire up w/ the os attached to the raid card. .and not load the sata driver at all.

maxmem=2048 simply hides anything beyond the first 2gig? Would slapping a pair of 1gig sticks in provide the same effect?

Thanks for the reply verdant.

That explains the consistent behavior. Previously; I had 8 500gig drives attached to this system w/ port replicator case + card and never encountered instabilities doing bulk file transfers (and that case/card still works w/ 10.7 in a stable fashion). However, I also was using the nforce ethernet and didn't typically see file transfer rates above 30-40 mb/sec. I installed a marvel pro nic recently and am finding that sustaining throughput up in the 90-95 mb/sec range seems to crash the machine. I thought it might be the nic but doing file transfers back and forth between my newer, faster sata drives seems to also cause crashes.

In the interest of further testing last night I put a highpoint card w/ the same disks I tested on built in sata on my system and did a bunch of bulk file transfers between the volumes. (it was my hope I could avoid the issue by using a different sata chipset. The results were not promising. The CPU utilization was relatively high; maybe 2/3rds of what it was when the drives were on the nforce sata. On my i7 system this card generates only 2-3% utilization on one core with the same transaction on the same drives. This is hitting a wolf dale core for 50%? Something isn't right here. I am wondering if this is being caused by some other issue. I suppose I'll do all these tests over w/ the chameleon flags and see what happens.

I might throw a usb stick on there and see if I can get the system to fire up w/ the os attached to the raid card. .and not load the sata driver at all.

maxmem=2048 simply hides anything beyond the first 2gig? Would slapping a pair of 1gig sticks in provide the same effect?

Using 2 x 1GB RAM modules is the hardware version of using maxmem=2048 but if you have an EVGA 680i MOBO then note this very interesting post I have come across on the Tech Support Guy forum by 5ndr5 was:

I had an nvidia chipset motherboard (EVGA 680i) and 4gb ram (ocz). Now after months and months of "random" freezes, rebooting, re-installing, different drivers, re-applying thermal paste, studying crash dumps................it turned out to be a "known" issue with my motherboard + all memory banks filled (1gb x 4), the ONLY thing that resolved it for me was to install x2 2gb modules !!!

Also see here......and 680i MOBOs more generally here.....