[GUIDE] Dell Studio 1558 ATI 5470 Core i7 - What I've got working so far

lifelike27

227 posts in this topic

Hi Li-Bot

You can monitor temperatures using... Temperature Monitor

The Dell 1558 i7 is prone to overheating issues regardless of which operating system it's running. A quick Google will reveal numerous accounts of overheating.

I often find my machine overheats when Spotlight is indexing. The processor has hit it's Tjunction whilst rendering 3D images in both OSX and Windows 7, at which point it abruptly shuts down.

I remember reading that one of the power management kexts affects fans and temperature control.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, as an update with this laptop, I will soon compile the latest kexts and such together into the next version of the kext pack. I have managed to slightly increase Geekbench scores, by around 15-25 pts.

I managed to make the 1558 dual boot with windows, the temperature is still hot under Windows 7 (around 65 celcius), so I am just going to assume that the 1558 is just always running hot no matter the OS.

To everyone experiencing Kernel Panics on boot, I haven't had one in a while, later today, Ill upload the R2 Kext pack, and hopefully that would solve that for y'all.

After looking at it more in depth, it appears that it is simply updating chameleon that would fix the kernel panics. Use the latest revision (r1446 or above) and the KP on boot would be a thing of the past.

So the following are the remaining issues of running OS X on the 1558:

Low resolution boot in chameleon

-Can be fixed by either patching the VBIOS (very advanced work) or making a custom theme for chameleon to edit the size of the boot logos and such to make it appear to be a mac booting at full resolution. I have one almost done for 1558s at 1366x768 resolution.

ATI Related KP's occasionally upon boot. (Fixed, use newer chameleon)

Volume up/down keys have strange glitch.

-Pressing the volume up or down keys will cause the volume slider to go either up or down continuously for a while, repeating the sound it normally makes for a while as well. Its particularly strange as brightness keys, mute/unmute, play/pause and last track/next track buttons all work fine.

Problems waking from sleep mode.

-Sleep seems to work, its just waking from sleep that is the issue.

SD card.

-I hardly ever use this feature personally, but I just got a cheap $2 SD card to start testing with this.

Update 12/30/11: It appears that no one else has this Ricoh 852/230/822 card reader working, except for strangely one model of ASUS republic of gamers laptop. The kext that got it working on that causes KP on the 1558. Will look into that.

HDMI Audio.

- Shouldn't be a problem to get working, will get on it ASAP. Will have to modify the DSDT though, so those with specs different from mine (and those using a frame buffer other than Langur) will have to edit the DSDT on their own.

I could see this machine finishing up soon quite nicely.

UPDATE 2 (06/08/2011): For a lion installation, this guide is unnecessary. Follow either one of these two guides to install Lion (both require a Mac). Installation using a usb here. Installation WITHOUT using a usb here.

After installation of Lion is complete use this kext pack and com.apple.boot.plist. Use Kext Helper to install the kexts. If you get kernel panics because of audio kext AppleHDA, remove it and install VoodooHDA 2.7.2 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Everything is provided by CharlieSheen: http://www.mediafire...kh3vb7pth15jn91

UPDATE 1: All recent changes made are in RED.

My system:

• Dell Studio 1558
  • Core i7 (720QM) 1.6Ghz
  • 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
  • ATI Mobility HD 5470 1GB (1366x768)
  • (The much hated) Broadcom BCM4313 [14e4:4727]
  • 500GB (7200 RPM) HDD

Thanks to the awesome user mac-lovin on the tonymacx86 forum I was able to get the following working.

What I have working: Graphics card (without QE/CI), Touchpad, Keyboard, USB Ports, Bluetooth, CD/DVD drive

To get QE/CI working (after the release of Lion) see CharlieSheen's post here.

What I DON'T have working: Wireless, battery indicator

Note: I'm using a retail OS X 10.6.3 DVD

The process (what you've been waiting for *drum roll*):

- Booted with Chameleon RC5 rev650 (no special boot flags)

- Installed OS X (10.6.3)

- When restarted, booted Chameleon with "-v busratio=20 arch=i386" "-x -v busratio=20 arch=i386" ---> We boot into safe mode to avoid a kernel panic. See below.

When in safe mode, external devices or other partition types shown in Finder. What I do first is boot with "-v busratio=20 arch=i386", copy the Combo Update and other files from my Storage NTFS partition to my desktop and then reboot again with "-x -v busratio=20 arch=i386"

- Installed 10.6.7 Combo Update followed by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.7.2 (I think the version number might be wrong will correct ASAP)

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] options:

• System Utilities - All
  • OSx86 Software - All
  • Graphics - ATI 1.6.34.13
  • Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6
  • Audio - Voodoo HDA 2.7.2
  • Kexts -> Miscellaneous - All except USB 3.0 and Voodoo PS/2 Controller

- At this point, towards the end of the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installation, I get a kernel panic and I have to restart. There's probably something that I have to remove to avoid it because according to mac-lovin, I shouldn't be getting one. The steps I was guided through were meant to be done without restarting after [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] was done. To avoid this you boot into safe mode '-x'.

- Anyway, after restarting (without boot flags) I open KextHelperb7 and drag the VoodooPS2Controller.kext, SuperIOFamily.kext and VoodooBattery in the box and run it.

- I installed bcm43xx_enabler.sh (Open a terminal, type sudo, drag the file to the terminal window)

- Installed Chimera.pkg (Not sure about the version number either)

- Installed the prefPane for Chameleon

- Copied the com.apple.boot.plist supplied by mac-lovin to the /Extras folder

Even after installing the bcm enabler my wireless doesn't work. However it works for mac-lovin (if I didn't mention it earlier, he has the same PC specs as me). I would be happier if I could get at least that working though. =\

For Bluetooth, just install this pkg assuming you have either the Dell Wireless 365, 370 or 410 Bluetooth Module: DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg.zip

Attached the VoodooBattery kext separately: VoodooBattery.kext.zip

Here are some of the files I've mentioned above. They don't include Chimera, Chameleon boot cd image and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Studio_1558_i7_Files.zip

much appreciating the thanks lifelike RESPECT BACK AT YA, im back and even more helpful than ever so if you need any help or custom kexts or dsdts then let me know, i have another studio1558 i7 again , same spec and a samung rv511 s02 i5, 8gb gtt315m .. , lion is easy to get running on my samsung, but for some reason the dell wont take my old method of installing lion, it doesnt work lol, cant get past the initial boot, kernel panics and restarts after loading kexts.. ? any ideas, tried lion l2 (iatkos) lion l1, retail, rboot, hackboot, rboot le....

Excellent work CharlieSheen (Post #180). I'll try out the new Chameleon and report back when I get the chance.

I see you're still having problems with the heat generated by your machine. I had the same issue and stripped my machine to find the cause. As it turned out there were numerous causes.

Firstly, having removed the heat-sink, the thermal paste appeared dried out and over applied (see photo).

Thermal.jpg

Additionally the thermal pads (also under the heat-sink) had begun to disintegrate. I carefully removed all the residual thermal paste and applied 'Arctic Silver 5 Thermal CPU Paste'. I cut new thermal pads to the exact size and replaced those too.

Pad.jpg

Secondly, as I had the machine apart, I decided to disassemble the fan as well. I had tried to vacuum clean the fan from outside, but that proved pointless. As you'll see from the photos there was a lot of debris inside the fan casing (see photo). This must have been the main reason for the overheating and I guess could have contributed to the thermal paste drying out (my processor regularly ran anywhere between 80°c and 99°c (the Tjunction of chip, which results in instant shutdown).

Fan.jpg

Finally, the airflow through the machine seems very poorly designed; for a start it draws air through the base of the laptop. This duct will inevitably be covered during normal operation. Additionally, the exhaust vent at the back is partially obscured if you tilt the screen beyond perpendicular to the keyboard. This is further exacerbated by the fact that the speaker cover plastic blocks nearly a third of the heat sink. I ended up using a Dremel to carefully remove a section of the cover before I reassembled mine (see photo).

Vent.jpg

All of these improvements made a massive difference to the CPU temperature, it now runs between 50°c to 70°c

Thanks for the info, ill check it out! My temps aren't that high though, they average in the low 60's which is still high, but not to the 80 degree mark, which it can get there under pretty heavy load.

Also, I am going to add HDMI audio as an issue on my post on the previous page. It is solvable though, but it will require some Kext and DSDT modification.

Edit: It appears that since everyone here has different specs with their laptop, everyone will have to get HDMI audio on their own. (It will be a bad idea for someone with slightly different specs than mine to use a DSDT from my machine). So, here is instructions to get it to work:

Edit 2: You need to upgrade your AppleHDA from the one in my original kext pack, its in the post below. If you are using VoodooHDA, uninstall that as well.

http://www.tonymacx8...p?f=162&t=31664

The 1558 with 5470M meets the requirements that thread outlines for capable HDMI audio.

I have patched AppleHDA and such to create a more tailor-made next for the 1558's IDT 92HD73C1 on Lion. The previous Kext I had was for snow leopard. For the HDMI audio to work as per the link i posted above, you will need to update your AppleHDA to this.

Install it to S/L/E and delete IDT92HD73C1X5_R3.kext.

1558_AudioR2.zip

Also, Richi_Roo, what are your temperatures now?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

It's been a long time!

I think I should mention that without any use at all, my machine drops to a content 55 degs, works at 60 on average/normal use and bumps up to 70 when I run the Android emulator which is a pretty heavy emulator to run.

CharlieSheen, if you're getting 60s on Windows then there's definitely a reason to take a look at yours under the hood, Windows has similar or lower heating issues. I've mainly solved it with a can of compressed air. After having it last cleaned out by the Dell service center in early August 2011, I've used a can of compressed air to shoot air directly into the fans when the computer is closed. I've noticed huge differences after doing so, I've even seen my temperature drop to 45 degs!

I haven't changed any kexts on my machine, CharlieSheen really is the person who knows what he's doing there.

After installing Lion, I use Langur for connecting my laptop to my monitor by HDMI but the laptop screen doesn't work - it has tv static. Orangutan did work initially but now when I use it, my laptop screen goes blank.

If there's anything you'll need from me just let me know. I can't promise I can get back to you immediately since I'm pretty busy during this semester of mine but I'll do my best.

First off thank you all for your hard and extensive work. I spent a great deal of time getting my 1558 to where it should be. I am running all the same hardware but only 4gb ram. I have a fully functional lion other than wireless...broad com. Other than that issue I have a random vga connection showing up and I have no clue how to get rid of it. My HDMI is not working - it recognizes I have a 52' lcd samsung hooked up through HDMI along with knowing it 1080p. However, on my samsung it shows "mode not supported." My second issue is geek bench is showing me a score around 4700 running on 32bit (trial edition so no 64bit) so I am down 2k+ points from what others have posted. Any help mi amigos?

I just tried updating Chameleon to a newer version ('Chameleon-2.1svn-r1446.pkg'). After installation, it doesn't get beyond the Apple boot screen. Then the screen goes distorted and white.

I tried various newer versions using Chameleon Wizard, but they all do the same thing.

Having reverted back to 'Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow.pkg', it boots once again.

First off thank you all for your hard and extensive work. I spent a great deal of time getting my 1558 to where it should be. I am running all the same hardware but only 4gb ram. I have a fully functional lion other than wireless...broad com. Other than that issue I have a random vga connection showing up and I have no clue how to get rid of it. My HDMI is not working - it recognizes I have a 52' lcd samsung hooked up through HDMI along with knowing it 1080p. However, on my samsung it shows "mode not supported." My second issue is geek bench is showing me a score around 4700 running on 32bit (trial edition so no 64bit) so I am down 2k+ points from what others have posted. Any help mi amigos?

Andy, have you tried various ATI personalities? It seems that even though we all have the same laptop (with small variations) they still act a bit differently. For my machine, when at the Chameleon boot screen I choose Langur (you type 'AtiConfig=Langur') for my LCD monitor to work by HDMI. My laptop monitor goes fuzzy, but I can't seem to fix that. Sometimes repeated reboots seem to fix the problem. It doesn't seem to be consistent...

Also, I have tried every aticonfig personality offered by suggestions plus more.

Which personalities have you tried?

too many to list - but everything suggested. I never have a problem with my laptop screen doing anything odd during any of the personality changes. A big problem seems to be that the laptop is stuck in low performance mode - like in windows battery scheme. The fans are always on very low and the laptop is not getting very warm (I feel bad complaining). Playing games is not really happening as it looks like a slide show - ie. skyrim, trine, batman - ect. My sound will work one day and than not the next. I took the updated files and it worked great for a long time - one day it changed to sound flower kext. I deleted it and fixed the sound and now it will not work again.

Hey guys, I need a little help with some of the kexts. First off, I'm very new to OSx86, so I don't know much about kexts and how they work--I'm learning though.

First off, thanks so much for the guide--I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with out it!!

Ok, first off, my build--Dell Studio 1558:

• Intel Core i5-520M 2.4 GHz
  • 4GB DDR3 1066 MHz
  • ATI Radeon HD 5470M 1GB
  • 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD
  • Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2
  • Intel Wifi Link 6200
  • Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module (2.1)

Where I'm at and how I got here:

1. I had already imaged my system via USB using the steps from tonymac (http://tonymacx86.bl...lion-using.html) before I found this guide, so I did not use Charlie's walk through (in case there is the assumption that I had).
  2. I've gotten the display working well (using http://www.osx86.net...&id=1442&page=2, both Chameleon download link from this page, as well as the kexts for the display). Installed kexts using Kext Utility.
  3. I installed the Networking, Fake SCM, and PS2 kexts from Charlie's link in the original post of this thread.

So, I've got a stable system, with the display @ 1900x1080, keyboard, trackpad, and nic working.

Just to note, I did try installing all of the kexts from Charlie's zip and got kernel panics, so I started trying kexts in groups (keyboard/mouse, audio, etc), but didn't past keyboard and mouse.

Here is where I need help:

1. Can't get Wifi working -- critical
  2. Can't get audio working stable (get kernel panics) -- critical
  3. What to do when I get a kernel panic? How to uninstall kexts? - critical
  4. Can't get bluetooth working (not critical)
  5. Can't get battery working (not critical)
  6. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installs / Chameleon versions (not critical)

Let's start with the easiest one:

#1 - Wifi:

I honestly don't care if I get the built-in wireless working, of if I have to buy a USB Adapter to work, but either way, I need Wifi. I've tried the bcm43xx_enable.sh, but no luck. I've only tried it once, though, so I will try again later. Otherwise, can anyone recommend a USB Adapter that they have tested and know to work?

Next, not so easy, but critical:

#2 - Audio:

I've tried so many things to get the audio working, I'm about to go insane. I actually got it working last night, rebooted a couple of times to ensure I didn't get kernel panics, then used CCC to back up, then suddenly, neither the original nor the CCC backup would work...unless I booted in safe mode, which then didn't have audio (not sure if that is normal).

I've tried the following:

1. Only successful one so far (but turned out to not be stable): Install VoodooHDA 0.2.72 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]: Lion. Reboot. Got kernel panic. Rebooted in safe mode. Added AppleHDA.kext (was not there yet). Rebooted. Success (briefly). *NOTE: Later, these steps did not work--they ended in kernel panic.
  2. Install audio kexts from 1558_audio_r2.zip - resulted in kernel panics.
  3. Install audio kexts from another site's files for 1558 - resulted in kernel panics.

#3 - Kernel Panics / Uninstalling Kexts

What can I do if I get kernel panics, and booting in safe mode doesn't work?

If booting in safe mode does work, how can I back out changes previously installed? Can I just delete a kext from S/L/E? Or do I need to run a script or do something special to "unregister" it somehow? What about backing out options checked in and installed by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

#4 - Bluetooth

I have a the 365, which made the list, but the kext didn't work for me. Is there anything else I need to do other than install the kext?

#5 - Battery

Tried installing the kext in the original post, but did not work. Any ideas?

#6 - [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installs / Chameleon versions

Should I be able to install all the options in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] mentioned in the original post and not get kernel panics, even though I installed OS X differently (again, via USB and Mac App Store)?

Should I be able to safely update to new versions of Chameleon (now or in the future)? Is it just the bootloader, or something else also (which could set me back to zero)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

In response to thephatp

Wifi:

Switch your wifi card to Dell Wireless 1510, the 1520 that comes with it doesn't work. The 1510 will work out of box.

Audio:

The kext works fine, have you updated to at least 10.7.2? What chameleon version are you at?

Battery:

Try other kexts from other sites, anything should work as long as it was meant for lion.

Bluetooth:

My 1558 doesn't have a bluetooth card, so i can't help you there, just try running Kext Utility after you install the kexts

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]:

Selecting ALL options in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is probably what is causing the KPs. Yeah, you can always update or downgrade your version of chameleon. I recommend an app called Chameleon Wizard to maintain your version of Chameleon to always be the latest.

• Like 1

In response to thephatp

Wifi:

Switch your wifi card to Dell Wireless 1510, the 1520 that comes with it doesn't work. The 1510 will work out of box.

Audio:

The kext works fine, have you updated to at least 10.7.2? What chameleon version are you at?

Battery:

Try other kexts from other sites, anything should work as long as it was meant for lion.

Bluetooth:

My 1558 doesn't have a bluetooth card, so i can't help you there, just try running Kext Utility after you install the kexts

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]:

Selecting ALL options in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is probably what is causing the KPs. Yeah, you can always update or downgrade your version of chameleon. I recommend an app called Chameleon Wizard to maintain your version of Chameleon to always be the latest.

RE: Wifi

After all the trouble I've had trying to get a USB adapter to work, I'm definitely going to take your recommendation.

RE: Audio

I did get it working. I did one step at a time and it was all good. :)

RE: Battery

Ok, good to know I can try others.

RE: Bluetooth

It's not that important...last on my list for now.

RE: [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

I was selecting more than I should have, which was the main cause if the KPs. If I'm really suspicious, I've started installing one item at a time, but now that I'm getting a little more familiar with it, there really isn't a lot in there that could mess me up. It was other kexts I was installing at the same time, I believe.

RE: Chameleon

Thanks for this insight. I really have been wanting to use the Chameleon Wizard, and I figured it would be good to update to the latest, but I wasn't sure whether I would screw something up. Now, at least if I do, I know I can get back to where I'm at now with not too much hassle.

Thanks for you response! I really appreciate the help, not to mention all the work you have done to help me get my laptop up on OS X!! :)

Wifi:

Hey Charlie, I installed the dw1510 today, but it didn't work OOB. I also can't apply the bcm43xx_enabler.sh b/c it appears Lion does not include the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Could I use the one from 10.6.x or would I get a KP (I've read at least one other user that tried this and got a KP)? Is there anything else I could try?

Hey Charlie, I installed the dw1510 today, but it didn't work OOB. I also can't apply the bcm43xx_enabler.sh b/c it appears Lion does not include the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Could I use the one from 10.6.x or would I get a KP (I've read at least one other user that tried this and got a KP)? Is there anything else I could try?

Quick update... I confirmed that the DW1510 does work OOB. Turns out that the IONetworkingFamily.kext that I installed was causing problems. I reverted back to what Lion installs, and it works like a charm!! :)

Hi everyone,

I've got this working perfectly on my Studio 1558 with Lion 10.7.3 - except for the brightness buttons, which don't work at all.

I've tried combinations of pressing Fn and trying various keys, as well as remapping them in System Preferences, but it doesn't work. All of the other shortcut keys (play/pause, keyboard backlighting) are working ok, and I'm using the newest kext pack in this thread.

Any ideas?

Cheers