Dell Optiplex 755 DSDT, Vanilla SpeedStep+Sleep working.

Camilo_ML

163 posts in this topic

Really? I already used this tags too, but i thought that it only worked in combination with the speedstep hack in the DSDT. I have the latest version of Chimera, do you know if it is capable of native dsdt as well?

Since I installed the dsdt from catalystTGJ (¿or maybe is the modified version with speedstep hack?) I'm experimenting some issues about shutdown. System close well, screen goes to standby mode, but the computer still running.

Otherwise, I have the impression that the system it's not precissely a rocket. Yesterday I run geekbench 4 times, and in any case the score exceeded 5,700 points (remember Q6600, 4Gb 800Mhz).

Any idea about the whole thing?

• 2 months later...

@ stenopo

to solve shutdown hang --> Evoreboot.kext

what geekbench score would you anticipate?

BTW, ML runs fine w. the old kexts.

i wonder if _PTS needs mod for shudown to be fixed..

sleep is likely usb needs patching. or onboard graphics needs to be ripped from dsdt.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Taking a couple Quizes just to post... that's new. Oh well... I suppose it keeps out the riffraff and that's always good. :)

I am attempting my first Hackintosh to use as a PLEX Media server. My first attempt was going ok with a ###### build until I nuked it trying to install some NVIDIA drivers... that's when it dawned on me, I really didn't know what ###### was actually doing and so I am going to try it again but with a more researched and planned approach this time. ;) I'm really glad I ran across this forum, it seems to have a healthy group of people here who know what they are doing.

My system is as follows:

LION 10.7.4

755MT (Q6700 / BIOS A19 / EVGA 8800GT-512MB)

DVD ROM

DVD-RW

3rd Party Internal USB Media Card Reader (Which I'd like to get working if possible)

Basically I would like to get this machine running as a PLEX Server at an efficient level with the best graphics performance I can get with the NVIDIA card since it will be transcoding and streaming video live over my home network.

As I understand it the best approach is to implement as many devices as possible with a properly setup DSDT file, and supplementing that with some KEXT files as needed. Is that correct? I have extracted my DSDT file under Linix (see attached) as I have read it could give a more pure DSDT file than extracting it with the DSDTSE program (even though many say it usually works well too). I still plan on modifying the DSDT.aml file with DSDTSE though.

I have also gathered a few KEXT files that seem to be necessary for my system:

Intel82566MM.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

Any others that some to mind???

I will admit I've only been working with this stuff for a few days and understanding everything and editing the DSDT file feels a little intimidating so I am hoping someone can help me in figuring this out. I really want to understand what exactly it is I'm doing this time around and this forum seems to be more helpful then others with that. Any tools or direction on the best way to approach this project would be most appreciated.

Also if you set it up properly are you able to create an iTunes/iCloud account, run software update, download Mac Apps etc just like on my regular Mac machines?

Chris' DSDT.zip

• Like 1

I also have an Optiplex 755 (not the small form factor) and I'm a FAIL at understanding how DSDT works

I'm running...

Bios Ver. A19

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHZ

Gigabit Ethernet using (AppleIntelE1000e.kext)

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Just installed Lion using iatkos l2, everything works ok (including sleep surprisingly) except icloud and app store (I'm guessing because of my dsdt not being correct), and the VoodooHDA 7.3.2 enabled sound started giving pops and buzzing out of the speakers after I installed my ATI 6xxx (OOB compatible card) (Audio shows in Sys. Info app as not built in)

I wish I can pay someone to straighten this out because the whole DSDT editing is uber confusing for me and I just dont have the time to dedicate to learning right now.

If anyone is willing to help me out, or use logmein and check out my system & apply some fixes to get me going, I'll gladly paypal you some bucks :)

Just installed Lion using iatkos l2, everything works ok (including sleep surprisingly) except icloud and app store (I'm guessing because of my dsdt not being correct), and the VoodooHDA 7.3.2 enabled sound started giving pops and buzzing out of the speakers after I installed my ATI 6xxx (OOB compatible card) (Audio shows in Sys. Info app as not built in)

I wish I can pay someone to straighten this out because the whole DSDT editing is uber confusing for me and I just dont have the time to dedicate to learning right now.

If anyone is willing to help me out, or use logmein and check out my system & apply some fixes to get me going, I'll gladly paypal you some bucks :)

if your ethernet is working and listed as en0, see the bottom of my guide here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=282274 it's for RAID, but I'm seeing the iCloud problem more and more in ML even on non-RAID setups and that part of the fix is the same either way. If ethernet is not en0 and showing as built-in, then diffent fix is needed.

if your ethernet is working and listed as en0, see the bottom of my guide here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=282274 it's for RAID, but I'm seeing the iCloud problem more and more in ML even on non-RAID setups and that part of the fix is the same either way. If ethernet is not en0 and showing as built-in, then diffent fix is needed.

I do have ethernet listed as en0 and it works and I have tried multiple serial numbers from the generator in chameleon wizard... all to no avail. I truly think it has something to do with dsdt since I'm using one that was generic and I can;t figure out how to extract/edit my own no matter how many examples I stare at lol.. I will check out your guide to see if that helps I havent seen anything in my searches relating to raid but it's worth a shot. I'll post the results tonight. Thanks for the replies guys.

Oh I forgot to add I tried the dsdt files that people posted here from other optiplex 755 machines but there seems to be different models (SFF, and different mobos) I never got any that worked for me out of this thread all made my system either (SWOD at startup, KP, or my system was not affected at all) i got all kinds of results but nothing that fixed any issues. Maybe it has something to do with my bios version being a bit higher? I am running A19

cham. wizzard --> smbios --> iMac9,1 --> generate random serial --> save --> reboot

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Copyright</key>

<string>SMBios by 7ender @ InMac.org Created with Champlist.app</string>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>01/14/09</string>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>IM91.88Z.008D.B00.0901142258</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F2218EC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>iMac</string>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac9,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>gener8urOwn</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

</dict>

</plist>

and naturally in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

all working here w. 755SFF BIOS A21, w. or w/o DSDT.

Most OP 755 also require that VoodooHDA be loaded delayed via Voodoo loader, turning boot probs (hangs, KPs) into history.

• Like 1

OK so I followed your instructions and got a kernel panic once I entered the key SystemId & string into the org.chameleon.Boot.plist I then was able to boot after I used -v -s to boot and now it shows up in the IODeviceTree with my mac address at the end. Still cant log in to app store or iCloud. Any other Ideas? Here's my plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>SystemId</key>
<string>44454c4c-5700-1056-8059-001e4ff58e15</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>npci</key>
<string>0x2000</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Just tried the imac 9,1 in smbios with random serial still get "an unknown error occurred" logging into app store I think the SFF might be a different setup as the normal tower.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>01/14/09</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM91.88Z.008D.B00.0901142258</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F2218EC8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac9,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>CK9284360TF</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v darkwake=0</string>

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>4</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>4</string>

if the DSDt is edited to Device (PCI0) _UID, 0x00 this wont apply, original is 0x04

also u can add Device (EHCI) from a similar (other model) dell model to it and add to _GPE and usb issues should be fixed.

also there is a chameleon boot arg about gfx-hda or hda-gfx (one of them) look into maybe that being part of issue ?

@ realism: when h'toshing we always have a 2nd partition with a backup OS X up'n running (which at least starts in safe mode). Also you can always access any HFS volume via Paragon Partition Manager (even the slim Linux boot version) or/ and from WIndows via MacDrive.

(pay ur name some tribute .. ;) )

sometimes its a ethernet driver issue or the serial/board id. sometimes its ?

might have to add to dsdt the (LAN0)

i have a opti 755 SFF that wont boot . think its bad power supply. but 755 are known for a bad batch of early mobos (amber power light).

i will try a different power supply to see if it boots and ill make it hackinosh for a day (its a friends wife pc)

edit: it works with new power supply. will try the hackintosh in it with spare laptop sata drive. (his data in current hdd)

• Like 1

have u tried BOTH different Ethernet kexts we can choose from for the 755, a) Intel82566MM.kext B) AppleIntelE1000e.kext?

also I don't see a reason why not to apply the latest BIOS A21? Definitely before buying a new mobo .. Then load Setup Defaults in BIOS.

A21 is working here just fine. And no more KPs or hangs thanks to VoodooLoader ..

• Like 1

have u tried BOTH different Ethernet kexts we can choose from for the 755, a) Intel82566MM.kext B) AppleIntelE1000e.kext?

also I don't see a reason why not to apply the latest BIOS A21? Definitely before buying a new mobo .. Then load Setup Defaults in BIOS.

A21 is working here just fine. And no more KPs or hangs thanks to VoodooLoader ..

the 82556 is 100 while the 1000 is gigabit.

2 chipsets 1 pc model.

I tried both kexts with same results and I havent tried A21 I running A19 might try that tonight I have to install some kind of windows or use a live xp cd off hiren's boot cd or something... Worth a shot since nothing else works. I'll post results once I test.

that is simply not true! Dingguijin's Intel82566MM kext is a port of the Linux e1000e driver. hnak's AppleIntelE1000e.kext is a more current port w. a dedicated ML fix = the preferred one to use.

In addition there would be ktbos's IntelE1000e.kext (a refinement of Dingguijin's) to try ..

.. and all 1000 .. ;)

the 82556 is 100 while the 1000 is gigabit.

2 chipsets 1 pc model.

I tried both kexts with same results and I havent tried A21 I running A19 might try that tonight I have to install some kind of windows or use a live xp cd off hiren's boot cd or something... Worth a shot since nothing else works. I'll post results once I test.

I successfully updated the BIOS on the same kind of unit by downloading the updater, and adding it to a Bart "Pre-Boot Environment" CD before burning the CD. Once I booted using the Bart P.E. CD, I use the interface to launch the BIOS updater I had included on it. This was a free and fairly easy way to do it.

that is simply not true! Dingguijin's Intel82566MM kext is a port of the Linux e1000e driver. hnak's AppleIntelE1000e.kext is a more current port w. a dedicated ML fix = the preferred one to use.

In addition there would be ktbos's IntelE1000e.kext (a refinement of Dingguijin's) to try ..

.. and all 1000 .. ;)

ok i must be confusing it with another dell model (inspiron 530) i seen comes 2 revs of the board one is 100mbit other is giga

i used hp usb dos bootable tool and updated from A17 to A21

Bios updated to A21... trying a few things will report.

same.

BugsB try removing the HDEF from dsdt and no voodooloader.. i had similar issues with inspiron 530 and i think that does trick.

strange the ESB2 ID 2681 did not take in dsdt when i boot shows 2922 . i think its a dynamic id per bios setting controlled in a register in dsdt or somewhere else .

with ich10 it works.. weird

also the APCI state shows S0 [s0] not s3 so theres something funny there.