Dell Optiplex 755 DSDT, Vanilla SpeedStep+Sleep working.

Camilo_ML

163 posts in this topic

Thanks!

I must have misunderstood earlier. I was looking for a UID of 0x04 to switch to a 0x00. Below are the 25 or so lines starting at PCI0. I guess it is already at the right setting.

I am still get the "waiting for root device" error.

Device (PCI0)
	{
		Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))
		Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
		Name (_UID, Zero)
		Name (_ADR, Zero)
		Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
		{
			0x0D,
			0x05
		})
		Method (_S1D, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (One)
		}
		Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			If (HACK ())
			{
				Return (0x03)
			}
			Else
			{
				Return (0x02)
			}
		}

Thanks,

I have two choice for drive access, and I have tried both.

1. RAID, unless not present, then use AHCI

2. RAID, unless not present, then use ATA

In both cases I am getting the "still waiting for root device" error, when I use the DSDT that I have so far... The one I have is based on your change, with other patches added.

Also, I have just had a strange thing start happening. This just started in that last day or two. I can no longer get the BIOS settings to stay saved. Every time I boot, regardless of whether using a DSDT or having it deleted, the BIOS settings revert away from what I have saved there. Any idea what could cause that or how to fix it?

Edited to add: I earlier thought it was happening even with the DSDT deleted, but over time it seems that deleting the DSDT did allow the BIOS to get back to normal.

Also, I tried -v -x -f Wait=Yes

It was definitely loading /Extra/dsdt.aml

dsdt is not loading then.

also i found this in sata

Device (SATA)
	    {
		    Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
		    OperationRegion (RIDE, SystemIO, 0xFE32, One)
		    Field (RIDE, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
		    {
			    IRST,   8
		    }
		    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
		    {
			    Alias (WEN3, MBEN)
			    Alias (WST3, MBST)
			    Store (GI32, Local0)
			    And (GI32, 0x70, Local0)
			    If (LEqual (Local0, 0x30))
			    {
				    Store (0x0F, Local1)
			    }
			    Else
			    {
				    Store (Zero, Local1)
			    }
			    Return (Local1)
		    }

Alias might not work

I gather that the DSDT is loading because without it I can boot, with it I cannot boot.

I first wondered if the DSDT could be over stepping and changing my settings in the PC's BIOS. Then I noticed the reverting was happening even when the DSDT file has been deleted. ??

When you say "Alias might not work" ... that is Greek to me! :-)

Just to check, I am now booting using a BartPE disc (boots into a Windows pre-installation environment). I am going to look into perhaps re-flashing the BIOS.

The Dell BIOS utility seems to be allowing me to re-flash the BIOS.

I have re-flashed the BIOS. I am now testing to see if BIOS changes stay saved. :-)

As of now (booting without any DSDT file in place) the BIOS settings in the blue screen BIOS area, are staying saved.

It is Lion.

Have a great time at the zoo with family! That is excellent.

Also, thank you for all your help!

so with no dsdt it does not reset.. then the rtc fix is not needed. or needs binary patch applertc.kext

i did a dsdt that was similar for pookymacman and his works fine. but its different like ehci was missing i think.

if i compare original to his patched i made i can fix it i think.. but it might need binary patch applertc

tl;dr sorry >_<

Major thanks to the OP for the dsdt. I used it very heavily to help figure out my 760 SFF recently. So thanks again! :)

Doug, did you try using AppleIntelE1000e.kext instead of your current LAN kext? My 760 has very similar hardware and I had problems with the App Store too. You can snag it for whatever version you need here on the forum: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=205771

Hope it helps! :)

Shoutout to Latin! ;p

gygabyte666:

Thanks! As soon as I get home, I will try that kext instead and see if it helps. I am currently booting without a DSDT unless we can find what is causing my "waiting for root device" error on the DSDT we have built so far.

Np hope it helps. Wise decision to not use a dsdt until you've found a bios rev you plan to stick with.

Also, have you tried out different BIOS revisions? Downgrade if possible and try to boot into OS X again. I realized that my 760 would have boot hangs if my bios was upgraded past a certain rev mismatched DSDTs can also cause boot issue. You may have a similar issue. As with all bios flashing, be careful and make sure you can downgrade if needed before flashing.

Good luck

gygabyte666:

I was using that kext on version 1.6.2. The latest version is 1.9.5. I had no idea there was a newer version out.

The 1.6.2 kext works great except the card does not show as "built-in" and I have no App Store, iTunes Store or iCloud.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version. I am testing it now.

In System Report:

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x10bd

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1028

Subsystem ID: 0x0211

Revision ID: 0x0002

BSD name: en0

Kext name: AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Version: 1.9.5

In IOReg:

IOBuiltin = FALSE

So, same result. The 1.9.5 kext works great except the card does not show as "built-in" and I have no App Store, iTunes Store or iCloud.

Latin McG has some ideas about editing the DSDT I am failing with.

so with no dsdt it does not reset.. then the rtc fix is not needed. or needs binary patch applertc.kext

i did a dsdt that was similar for pookymacman and his works fine. but its different like ehci was missing i think.

if i compare original to his patched i made i can fix it i think.. but it might need binary patch applertc

Hey Latin McG:

Would it help if I upload a freshly extracted DSDT, just to have for reference? The one I sent you was after me applying several patches to it. Remember, the IOReg I uploaded was made while booting without DSDT, as I have never been able to build a DSDT that would get me past "waiting for root device."

Ok in that case you likely will need either another kext to fix the ioreg error or more preferably to test out a good solid bios rev so you can get started on a fix through dsdt. I would use the OP's as reference for fixing your own. It will likely prove to be a valuable resource for dsdt edits.

So no, I wouldn't extract a dsdt until you have tested out a few bios rev if you haven't already. As I said before wait till you've got a solid working bios before any dsdt extracts. When you do extract another dsdt I suggest using Linux to do it. Don't extract it using OS X if you can help it, it'll likely contain errors if you do.

gygabyte666

As far as I can tell, the BIOS issues I had seem to have begun when a DSDT was placed, and then eventually went away when I took the DSDT away.

However, I just visited the Dell support site. Earlier I got BIOS v. A20 from there. Now, however, their site only offers A19. Hmmm. OK, I will downgrade to A19 and start testing again from there.

Yeah that makes sense, a poorly edited dsdt can and will cause issues that weren't previously there but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's all the dsdts fault either. Dell sometimes tends to make rather significant changes in their BIOS revs. which can cause major issues with osx86 installs.

Pertaining to Dell only hosting one rev, Nope, there are plenty more if you know where to look. check the link again: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R305480&FileId=2731118049&productCode=optiplex-755&urlProductCode=False

Look under the "Other Versions" tab for many, many more revs. ;p

I understand it can be a bit overwhelming attempting to test so many revs but it's just best to test as much as you can. You are not going to want to have to keep redoing dsdt fixes for different revs in the future if you can avoid it now. One less headache for later on.

DougJospeh, Are you running an Optiplex 755? I have this model, and i'm running A21 Bios. That's probably not relevant. I'm about to start testing the various DSDT's on this thread. The only major problems i have with the 755 so far are Sleep doesn't work in S3 mode, and i get this annoying KP from either a very cold boot (say 5-10 minutes from being off), or the same KP at random from just rebooting, but if i immediately power off and back on the machine from the power button, the machine will come up fine. Occasionally, I've seen a crash or two during use that have each been unique types of crashes, but usually i'm screen sharing when these crashes have happened. Other than that the machine is working well enough. I used the ###### method though to build, so running Chimera for the bootloader. Running Lion 10.7.3. Its pretty much a vanilla system, with the exception of an EFI string for an nVidia GT 240 1GB card. My goal with fooling with the DSDT route is of course to correct the sleep problem, and i'm hoping it will help with the random startup KP's and other random crashing.

catalystTGJ:

Thanks. Yes, I am working on an Optiplex 755. When I inputted the system's service tag at Dell's support site, at first they supplied BIOS version A20. I went that for a while, but saw a few issues. They were not like the issues you described. However, the last time I tried again on their site, they had switched to supplying A19. I switched to that version, and now I am having no issues that I am aware of. When you input your system's service tag now, which BIOS version do they offer for your system?

LatinMcG:

Re: complex but doable: I am normally pretty good with figuring things out, but this DSDT stuff is beyond my understanding at the moment. For me it is complex and undoable! LOL.

I can easily do a search and replace for something like "(SPK)", but what would I search for to find the LPT and COM ports? Will they be listed as LPT and COM? What needs removed from _gpe, _wak, and _PTS?

And should I not be able to boot with a DSDT even if the above changes have not been made yet? I have not ever gotten past the "still waiting for root device" issue.

DougJoseph:

I hear ya man! I'm struggling with it too! this has been a tough nut to crack, but i'm happy to state that i've managed to get Sleep working in S3 mode FINALLY! Good grief! I'm using the DSDT that includes speedstep/sleep/ and USB... from this thread..(think its the second one mentioned) so far! I intend to try out more of the DSDT's listed here to see what results they provide. I know i still have some funkiness, BUT the two main problems i was having are now gone. The sleep not working and the random KP's on startup. It seems the USB bit fixed the KP problem, and the sleep thing... well i had cornfused myself, because i had two copies of Lion, one "production" and one "test". The initial DSDT on this thread got the sleep working on only the "test" copy. The "production" copy it would blow up. I had forgotten that i was playing around with the "SleepEnabler" kext that i got from I think OSX86.net site. At any rate, turns out the DSDT alone was not the answer for me. Having the SleepEnabler installed properly got it working on the production copy. Now i need to tackle the audio problem that i still have which is somewhat minor. Basically, I'm using the voodoo driver to run the audio, and the onboard audio works fine, but the video card has audio channels as well. 4 HDMI channels, and while the voodoo driver shows the channels, none of the control sliders move! So i can't hear anything if i route the sound through any of the 4. I know there's an entire set up that i need to work through that's over on the ###### site. Hoping that might get it to work right. Again, that's minor to me, since i have audio working from onboard. i'm just OCD'ing over something that doesn't work.

On the matter of the bios... I don't recall putting in the service tag to get to the bios choices that were downloadable. I think i just went in to the alternative area where they list the entire history of all the bios versions for the model and just got the latest one. You probably won't benefit much by going to A21 from 19, since most of the updates had to do with very specific IT management type things that they either added or tweaked, but if you want it let me know. I should have the file, if they took it off their site for some goofy reason.

Thanks for everyone's contribution on this thread. It's been extremely useful. :-)