Testers Wanted - Zotac GTX 460 black screen issue

derda

85 posts in this topic

Ok let me see if I follow all this correctly as I've only ever installed OSX on my Acer Aspire One netbook. If I do a clean install I should do a software update first and get the latest OSX (10.6.7 at this point). Then I should one of the methods listed here? Also, even on my succefully installed OSX on my Aspire One I have never been able to see the Extra folder except as a listing in Spotlight. Where is the Extra folder exactly?

10.6.5 is the minimum requirement for fermi cards, this is clearly stated on nvidias driver download page.

Where is the Extra folder exactly?

At the root of the partition where your bootloader is installed.

Before trying anything listed in this thread, you should first find out if you actually need to.

Get to at least 10.6.5, install the nvidia Quadro 4000 drivers, Chameleon 2.0 RC5 boot loader and set GraphicsEnabler=y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

Oh well I wasn't necessarily asking for this particular case, it's just that I see it mentioned frequently in fixing other problems. I don't actually see the bootloader partition. Is it hidden from my view possibliy? I only see my main OSX partition.

Did someone else install OS X on your PC for you?

The bootloader is on the partition where you installed it!

Normally this will be your system partition. Some people use the EFI partition.

If you have used some utility or hacked install DVD that installed the bootloader for you, then consult the documentation or release/announcement thread for it here on Insanelymac.

You installed Chameleon, you are supposed to know where you installed it.

The Chameleon bootloader itself consists of three files. There will be a file named 'boot' at the root of the partition where Chameleon was installed. The other two files are not visible to the user because they reside in the boot sector and the MBR, not the OS filesystem.

If you used some kind of newbie friendly tool to install Chameleon, it's possible that "boot" is invisible.

It's ironic that when something goes wrong, all of those newbie tools always seem to end up complicating things instead of making them easy.

This has gone way too far off topic, please start a new thread.

• 2 months later...

Hello All!

Getting this thread back on topic, yesterday I tried to set up a Lion install, and my custom NVEnabler 64 kext which has custom ROM from Krazubu for my Zotac GTX-460 that worked pefectly for SL, did not work at all for Lion. Would boot in safe mode and with old graphics card, but not with the same kext that worked in SL. Any ideas what may be different in Lion that is giving me an issue? I used same settings (ie graphics enabler = n, and PCITRootUID=1) which worked just fine in SL.

Thanks.

Yup, that is the first thing I tried - booted straight into a black screen as before with SL without the modded kext.

Then I booted into safe mode, installed the ROM modified kext, installed latest nvidia drivers, set GE=n (basically everything just as it was with SL), and was from that point not even able to boot past point it began to load NVE.

-mw

I have the same issue in Lion, if I use my DSDT with working NVCAP (at least it worked for Snow) I get a black screen. that happen using DVI port. I connect the HDMI remove Graphics info from DSDT and use Graphics Enabler= Yes and I get a Full Working system again and no Fermi Freeze anymore. My monitor Support DVI, VGA and HDMI lucky me :D!!!ç

If you dont have HDMI in your monitor use a DVI to VGA adapter an conect both to your monitor and see ii that gives you graphics and use GE=yes in your boot plist.

Hope it helps