Can't get your X1600XT working with borisbadenov etc?

Ciber

60 posts in this topic

Curlyboy: Could you see if you have a different P/N than davegarber and me? Perhaps there is a new version of the x1600xt which is no longer compatible.

To get the P/N you can just download PC Wizard, run it, and find the P/N. No need to install any software. PC Wizard is available here:

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

I am still hoping that aberracus will help out with his eax1600xt bios which he says is working properly.

Sunday night he said "no, my friedn disk drive didnt work!

gona give it to another friend tomnorrow.. sorry"

Hopefully we get something going soon.

How different are 1600xt cards between Sapphire and Asus and MSI?

I thought I read somewhere that they are all basically the same built by ATI for these other companies and then the other companies just put their own logo and cooler on the card. Maybe I am wrong - who knows.

I think they won't flash because the software won't let them... if we can fool the software, I think flashing is a possibility..

NOTE I noticed on the Sapphire website there is only the BIOS for download that is 009. I wonder if it's possible to flash that BIOS to a card that is 008? If that is possible, then that points to the possibility that an 009 card could be flashed to 008. Of course, no one exactly wants to volunteer for a job that could leave them in the same position as us! =) Maybe someone outside of the Hackintosh community for which it is irrelevant.

The BIOS page is at this link:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/drivers.php

scroll down and select Radeon X1600XT.. you can see the BIOS at the top says 009

DaveGarbs has told me he just got off the phone with Sapphire Tech Support. They said that the cards are exactly the same. They also said that you can flash the 008 cards with the 009 BIOS on the website.

Thus, it sounds as if the only impediment at this point to making the cards work is finding a way to force the flash!

Very exciting news if that's the case. Thanks go to DaveGarbs for doing this research!

It looks like compatibility is on the horizon.

well I ran atiflash after booting from a flash drive (oh the irony)

Attempt 1: atiflash -p 0 new.bin

fails

Attempt 2: atiflash -f -p 0 new.bin

also fails citing the difference in p/n number

Perhaps using a different flash program would work?

flashrom?

I wonder about the order of the switches you tried.

Try following this exactly (extracted from a googled website):

Step 1 : Backing Up

Boot into DOS and insert the ATIFlash floppy. Run ATIFlash.exe and type "atiflash -s 0 backup.rom"

It's recommended you name your backup, backup.rom or backup.bin, or old.rom/bin. Something easy to remember if something goes wrong.

Step 2: Flashing

Boot up into DOS and insert the ATIFlash floppy.

Run the ATIFlash.exe and now type this "atiflash -p 0"

It should give you some information then say "P/N Mismatched" and "Error 0FL01 : Press "1" to continue".

The reason for this is because the new bios your using has a different P/N number. Some BIOSes don't do this, they will just flash, which is fine, but if you get the error DON'T PANIC, IT'S NORMAL. The worst thing to do would be to shut off your PC.

Now, type the following "atiflash -p -f 0 xxx.ROM" put your BIOS name in for xxx, also you can save your bios as .rom or .bin either will work.

The -f command tells atiflash to FORCE the flash regardless of the P/N mismatch. If you still get an error, then load your old bios back on by typing this:

"atiflash -p -f 0 backup.rom" or whatever you named your backup.

Now restart your PC, your card cannot be flashed.

NOTE : Sometimes ATIFlash gets finicky and you will have to type "atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.ROM". So you will have to start using the -f command right after atiflash. If that still doesn't work, your card cannot be flashed.

Ciber thank you very much. I have saphite x1600xt card that didn't work with Boris method so I decided to take the risk.

I made iso using disk utility on my MAC G5 and then slotted cd into my hackintosh. I printed your instruction and what do you know my bios from 009 reverted to 008. I was still a bit nervous and I booted OS X and it works.

Thank you, and for the rest of the guys with newer sapphire card (009) don't be afraid to flash it it worked for me with no problem. remember use disk utility to burn iso.

Hope this helps people with sapphire card with (009) revision.

Update lasted few seconds and I am very happy. Thanks again Ciber. If you are not sure don't risk it and do it at your own risk as i did.

Take care

Jojon

I used cd iso and got error when tried to back up my original bios due to using cd that is write protected.

Other steps went easy and 5 hours later everything works great. Core 2 duo E6600 really blows away my G5 MP 2.5 Ghz.

Good luck.

i am using pioneer 111d

created image using disk utility

when flashing part number was different on the end 009 and now is 008 and working

Hope this helps

Well. I was in Akihabara, Tokyo, yesterday and spotted an ASUS DVI-ADD2 card for 2,780 yen ($25) so I thought I would risk (!) it and try to get an extended desktop on my ASUS mainboard. To cut a long story short it involved a reinstall/upgrade from 10.4.5 to 10.4.7 but now two LG Flatron L1950T units are running with extended desktop off the built-in 900 series controller on the mainboard and the ADD2 board. No speed demon but OK for most of what I do. While I was at it, I decided to take a long look at my ASUS Silent X100XT with the black heat sink and ROM 1005. I figured out that the Enhanced SATA drivers in the ASUS mainboard BIOS were stopping the CDROM driver loading (see earlier post at top of thread) on the Caldera flash CD that Cipher posted--thanks Cipher. The boot then went normally when I changed to Compatible mode and I got to the flash screen with the information about the card which showed it as having a 1 MB ROM with a part number ending in 1005 (the BIOS version maybe?). Then I sacrificed a chicken, drank a beer, crossed my legs, and ran the flash. It went perfectly in about 3 seconds with the new (old) part number ending in 008. So it seems that there is no problem with flashing this ASUS X1600XT and I can't understand why others are having the part number problem—is it to do with the board brand perhaps?

The VGA on this X1600XT card had been working fine with the Boris' manual settings of kexts using Device ID 71C2, but with absolutely no DVI out even with a DVI-VGA adapter. So I redited all the settings again (it was a fresh install) manually and connected two screens one via DVI and one via VGA. On reboot. the VGA came up OK but not the DVI. Then I connected the DVI screen using a DVI-VGA adapter and both screens came up mirrrored. Progress at last. It seems that the 008 ROM has fixed VGA thru the DVI connector for me but not the straight DVI out.

While looking around to see if I could get an extended desktop, I realized that the device ID seems to have changed with the new (old) 008 ROM to 71C0 and although both screens were showing fine with all resolutions up to 1600 x 1280, the card was not supporting CG or QE! So I went back in and redited the Boris files to the 71C0 device ID and a reboot brought me back to the dreaded black screen (both LCDs) with a yellowish/red stripe across where the menus should be and an active mouse cursor. Rediting the kexts manually back to 71C2 got the two mirrored displays back again without CG and QE.

Although this is a little progress, I really need the extended desktop and not mirrored displays, so for now the ASUS X1600XT is back in its box gathering dust. It would be nice to get a copy of Abereicus' ROM that is known to give pure DVI out and see what happens.

Hope this adds a bit to the confusion of why some boards will and won't flash and some will and won't support DVI out.

On a side note, the place where I bought the ADD2 card had a S/H intel Quad Mac Pro (standard configuration) for 279,800 yen—I am really tempted.

atiflash refused to flash anything but the original bios to my X1800, tho it would flash a modified (undervolted) version.

flashrom couldnt see my card at all.

.... bum.

atiflash refused to flash anything but the original bios to my X1800, tho it would flash a modified (undervolted) version.

flashrom couldnt see my card at all.

.... bum.

Same problem here but I did not try an undervolted version of the bios. :angel:

I thought your 1800 was working in OS X atleast.

it is, but sleep doesnt work (well, *wake* from sleep doesnt work).

the undervolting is unrelated btw, i had to undervolt to get it to work with my mobo, otherwise it crashed whatever os (windows or osx) after a couple mins of 3d. go figure.

Davegarbs and I have been experimenting with hexediting the bios to change the P/N number. I tried to flash with a modified bios (that is a 008 bios labeled as 009). Unfortunately, though the SSID and P/N matched, atiflash still refused the flash.

We are waiting for official comment from Sapphire on how to flash from 009 to 008. It has been four business days. Hopefully they come through.

Are you guys using -f with flashrom to force flash? The DID is set in the rom but also there are hardware straps, you'd need to either modify the rom dids (and there are usually a few) or change the hardware by moving a couple of resistors. Try asking one of the strangedogs mods for help, while they are mostly ppc experienced, they are gods at bios mods. Can't wait till my x1600 arrives in a couple of weeks...

Just my 2c worth, sorry if I stated the obvious....

Hi all,

could it be that our problem with extended desktop is somehow related to this?

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

It seems our hackintosh are more kind of iMac and Macbooks than MacPros.

Until know I didn't know that Apple locked Extended desktop support for

iMacs and Macbooks. Without hack all iMac users get just mirrored desktop,

same as us, with limited resolution support.

This all is just theory, but ....

Don't blame if I am totally wrong, I just want to get things moving, so are we really

limited by hacked drivers or is this an apple limitation?

Bye folks