DSDT for Asus P8P67-M PRO

Time2Retire

834 posts in this topic

I'm with you. Let us know what we can do to put some pressure on. I also suggest posting specifically what you said above (or at least threatening to) in places like Tonymac which has a pretty big influence on buying decisions.

That might shift the sales a bit, but they won't know why and that is not the point. Tonymac is still a place for osx86 and we don't want to link our endeavor directly to the community.

I don't think they will suddenly help us because they discovered their boards are not very OSX-friendly.

Keep in mind that it's still a grey area.

Posting about issues with different unixes should be our goal. It might help to post on different support sites about the fact that C-states are not really disabled.

It's the same effect I get when connecting my monitor through DVI. That was the reason for me to buy a HDMI-DVI cable. It flickers most notable on constant grey areas. Like in the old days, when your monitor was running the wrong frequency.

A bit embarrassing to admit but I still don't know what you mean, but I take your word for it :)

I'm using iMac12,3 any reason for the iMac12,2?

Because there is no iMac12.3?

And yes, AGPM could be the problem. I'm missing the current version that has the iMac12 definition.

Let me think about what we can do here, without breaking the rules... this iMac11_3_iMac12_2_diff.txt should do the trick. And here's the diff AGPM_Info_plist.txt with what I changed in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

I do get the correct Turbo values, but ACPI_SMC_Platform is timing out:...

So you already had it setup correctly, or are you telling me that the Auto setting works for you?

What about using MacBookPro8,2/3 for a test run to see if the error goes away? If this is somehow related to the model identifier, and possibly missing / mismatched files?

That might shift the sales a bit, but they won't know why and that is not the point. Tonymac is still a place for osx86 and we don't want to link our endeavor directly to the community.

I don't think they will suddenly help us because they discovered their boards are not very OSX-friendly.

Keep in mind that it's still a grey area.

Posting about issues with different unixes should be our goal. It might help to post on different support sites about the fact that C-states are not really disabled.

I agree. But I do think it's worth mentioning as a TonyMac post in the Sandy Bridge forum. At least it means more informed users.

For all of us newbs and semi-newbs, if you construct a form letter, I'm sure quite a few would be happy to post.

Oh no! That was just a test. Let me fix this right away.

Fixed. Thanks!

Ah, great. Will test this right away.

Thanks for the AGPM-info, could you post a diff of the plist (you posted the complete file)?

Alright, I'm on 10.6.8 now. With my SSDT_PR I get a timeout, but without I get this:

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

And yes, Turbo ratios are correct, is there even an Auto setting, I thought its only on/off? I'll check the BIOS.

Thanks for the AGPM-info, could you post a diff of the plist (you posted the complete file)?

Oops. Error corrected.

Alright, I'm on 10.6.8 now. With my SSDT_PR I get a timeout, but without I get this:

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Slowly getting there :)

BTW. The factory tables give you the same error I got (see post #320)?

And yes, Turbo ratios are correct, is there even an Auto setting, I thought its only on/off? I'll check the BIOS.

The "Turbo Mode" is enable / disable only, but the "Turbo Ratio" is set to Auto by default and can be changed to either "Maximum Turbo Ratio setting in OS" or "Maximum Turbo Ratio setting in BIOS". See page 2-15 of the manual.

Oops. Error corrected.

What did you actually changed in the plist? If I replace the third entry under iMac12,2 (which hasn't any subtrees) with my device/vendor id it just hangs forever on boot right before the Desktop would show up.

Hmm no, seems to hang on something different (I reverted the changes for now).

BTW. The factory tables give you the same error I got (see post #320)?

Do I need a RevoBoot that doesn't drop tables, or can I just rename /Extra/ACPI?

The "Turbo Mode" is enable / disable only, but the "Turbo Ratio" is set to Auto by default and can be changed to either "Maximum Turbo Ratio setting in OS" or "Maximum Turbo Ratio setting in BIOS". See page 2-15 of the manual.

Ah yes. This is set to Auto and it seems to work.

What did you actually changed in the plist? If I replace the third entry under iMac12,2 (which hasn't any subtrees) with my device/vendor id it just hangs forever on boot right before the Desktop would show up.

Hmm no, seems to hang on something different (I reverted the changes for now).

I will have to get back to you on this tomorrow because I am getting too tired to think.

Do I need a RevoBoot that doesn't drop tables, or can I just rename /Extra/ACPI?

Just set this one:

#define PATCH_ACPI_TABLE_DATA				1

And leave the rest as is. This should take care of the _CST evaluation error, but it gets replaced by a different one. The one I mentioned in post #320.

Ah yes. This is set to Auto and it seems to work.

I wonder why it is working for you. Maybe because I changed something when I OC'ed it? Will load the default settings first thing tomorrow.

Update: Got it. When you select Auto after you've setup Turbo Ratio's on a per-core basis, then the MSR's don't change back to their defaults i.e. I OC'ed my rig before I switched it back to Auto, but the Turbo Ratio MSR are unchanged (which is what AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is reading). This is not good. This is another UEFI BIOS bug.

Can you guys please elaborate upon what is exactly buggy with the Asus lineup? Is this exclusive to their whole P67 P8P67 lineup esp in regards to faulty sleep modes that folks on Hardforum have been complaining about? How about Z68? Thinking of getting a Z68 swap from Microcenter but concerned in OSX will work?

Thanks

Can you guys please elaborate upon what is exactly buggy with the Asus lineup? Is this exclusive to their whole P67 P8P67 lineup esp in regards to faulty sleep modes that folks on Hardforum have been complaining about? How about Z68? Thinking of getting a Z68 swap from Microcenter but concerned in OSX will work?

Thanks

1.) Bit 15 in MSR 0x2E is set (locked) and that should not be set at all. This basically locks us out (already posted in that forum).

2.) See flAked's post # 341 about the in BIOS C-State settings (already posted in that forum).

3.) See my update in post #359 which is one of the bugs we've run into (new issue).

And another day another update. OS X 10.6.8 10K524 available for download. Sweet.

p.s. Still waiting for my activation e-mail so if you could ask Kyle to solve this that would be great. Thanks

News: I received my ticket. Have 10 days left of hacking. After that I will change my nickname, remove my avatar and have to sign NDA's and an agreement that I won't return here... or my internship is denied. I won't be working on the mach_kernel or kexts but learn to code iOS applications.

And after my return in October in the low countries, I will start working towards my exams and the 2012 Olympic Games and as such I won't have any time left for my hacking hobby (which got out of control anyway to say the least) but it was a blast wasn't it. Thanks for this all - please PM me if you have something so say to me, but don't do it here. Thanks!

What model identifier is / isn't working for you?

Revo with iMac12,2 hangs. iMac12,3 obviously worked because there is no match.

Chimera with iMac12,2 and no DSDT works, because SMC_Platform is timing out.

What version are you using?

4.7.0 IOPlatformPlugin

My backup boot cd isn't working with 10.6.8, do you have a link on how to boot a defect system via usb?

Considering that Asus appears to be the only motherboard with these specific bugs, and the fact that I'm not going to be much help from a technical POV, I'm wondering if there's something I can do to get us in close contact with whoever is getting BIOS updates pushed out. I know you guys have been in touch with someone as well. Let me know if I can do some legwork.

Considering that Asus appears to be the only motherboard with these specific bugs, and the fact that I'm not going to be much help from a technical POV, I'm wondering if there's something I can do to get us in close contact with whoever is getting BIOS updates pushed out. I know you guys have been in touch with someone as well. Let me know if I can do some legwork.

I heard some issues with MSI boards as well, but no specifics. I've PM'd Raja @hardforum, but he only channels the reports. Posting these bugs directly in the ASUS support forum would be of help, I'm sure.

I heard some issues with MSI boards as well, but no specifics. I've PM'd Raja @hardforum, but he only channels the reports. Posting these bugs directly in the ASUS support forum would be of help, I'm sure.

Hi!

..But hasn't Gigabyte these bugs?

Can the owners of a motherboard by Gigabyte make the speedstep work?

Revo with iMac12,2 hangs. iMac12,3 obviously worked because there is no match. Chimera with iMac12,2 and no DSDT works, because SMC_Platform is timing out.

No problem with hanging here.

I also think to know why I get this message in kernel.log:

ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperContext - pmCPUControl (pmioctlPStateContext_t) failed, result = 0x16

The plist's were made by me because these were not included in the update. I simply copied the MacBookPro8_3.plist to iMac12_2.plist and MacBookPro8_2.plist to iMac12_1.plist Then I changed all references to MacBookPro to iMac. Now control loop seems to fail. Might try something else next.

My backup boot cd isn't working with 10.6.8, do you have a link on how to boot a defect system via usb?

Isn't RevoBuilder working for you?

..But hasn't Gigabyte these bugs?

Can the owners of a motherboard by Gigabyte make the speedstep work?

It seems that AICPUPM is loading fine on Gigabyte P67 models, yes. But I believe a custom DSDT/SSDT edit is still required.

Hi!

..But hasn't Gigabyte these bugs? Can the owners of a motherboard by Gigabyte make the speedstep work?

I'd say yes. GigaByte has the same issues. I say this because every dump I have seen so far, did not backup their stories.

Don't forget that we are using a Sandy Bridge configuration. Nothing else. Most boot loaders have yet to be fixed to inject the correct CPU type, and they have to stop injecting SMBIOS structure type 132.

It seems that AICPUPM is loading fine on Gigabyte P67 models, yes. But I believe a custom DSDT/SSDT edit is still required.

But not as a Sandy Bridge setup. The one thing I have seen was using an old iMac model identifier, with the incorrect cpu-type, and wrong FSB frequency. This is not what we want.

Isn't RevoBuilder working for you?

That's just a build-script for RevoBoot right? I meant how do you replace/revert the changes, if a RevoBoot build doesn't boot? It's a pretty basic question, but so far I just used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and was able to get into the system to revert my latest changes.

I'd say yes. GigaByte has the same issues. I say this because every dump I have seen so far, did not backup their stories.

I meant to say that AICPUPM loads because they don't seem to have the CFG Lock, nothing more. Gigabyte models won't give you a perfect setup out of the box.

That's just a build-script for RevoBoot right? I meant how do you replace/revert the changes, if a RevoBoot build doesn't boot? It's a pretty basic question, but so far I just used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and was able to get into the system to revert my latest changes.

Yes, but I was actually looking for STLVNUB's RevoBoot installation tool / script, but I see that it has been removed from Github. That's the second time btw. Blackosx might still have it. Don't know what to make of it. Sorry.

I always have my USB-stick handy for when it won't boot. And when that also fails, I simply boot from another HDD. Also discussed here. That's also where we talked about / had that script, but maybe it has also been removed there.

I meant to say that AICPUPM loads because they don't seem to have the CFG Lock, nothing more. Gigabyte models won't give you a perfect setup out of the box.

Ah yes. Lucky b.......

Isn't it time for us to share the tool with everyone, or at least the Chameleon developers, Tony & MacMan and Andy? So that they can start digging... that is if they want. Let them have some fun too. I'm all for it. What do you say?

Alright, back to business.

We should figure out which part of _CST and ACST we need from Cpu0Cst

Isn't it time for us to share the tool with everyone, or at least the Chameleon developers, Tony & MacMan and Andy? So that they can start digging... that is if they want. Let them have some fun too. I'm all for it. What do you say?

Well, is it safe if one uses the factory ACPI tables with AICPUPM?

Alright, back to business.

We should figure out which part of _CST and ACST we need from Cpu0Cst

Here's what I use right now ssdt_pr.aml.zip

Well, is it safe if one uses the factory ACPI tables with AICPUPM?

I'd say yes because Windows and *nix are using the same ACPI objects. Not to mention that our tables are pretty much the same as what we found in the new MacBookPro and iMac's. But hey. Why don't we let people decide whether or not they want to use it. We may want to add a warning. About this project being in a beta stage.

Let us start with the patched binary (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) and see what this brings us. The more people joining us... the sooner we get things sorted out properly (they may need a patched DSDT to get sleep going but for this Tony, MacMan and Andy can help. Again. If they want this to happen.