Healthcare, what should it be like?

15 posts in this topic

I brought this subject up because it touches something very close to me. My best friend, she found out a couple months ago that she has MS (multiple Sclerosis). Her doctor perscribed a certain medicine, but her health insurance company says no, they say that they want her to take a different medicine, that the health insurance company approves of, as in the health insurance company perscribing her medicine for her, in my opinion, this is totally wrong and f***ed up. I mean, thats the doctors job, not the health insurance company's job, ah...insurance companies just {censored} me off.

Heres why:

I see healthcare as a right, not a privilige, EVERYBODY should have the right to healthcare, regardless of their ability to pay, its just wrong to have somebody come to a hospital, "do you have insurance?" and if they dont, you send them away, what kind of society is that? I think the reason why the US spends so much money on their healthcare system, is because they wont fix people's problems when theyre small, when the procedure they need would be cheap...the patient doesnt have insurance so they wait, and wait and wait, until oh god, theyre about to die, and then the state or the governement has to pick up the bill, when if they could have just gone in in the first place, it would have been very easy to correct.

Also, insurance companies shouldnt be perscribing medicine to patients, ahhhh, it just gets on my nerves, its just...evil...I hate insurance companies...heheh

Might I also note that this post isnt about me, I have plenty of healthcare, and good insurance, but its wrong that people even NEED it to begin with... thats just my thoughts on it

I see healthcare as a right, not a privilige, EVERYBODY should have the right to healthcare, regardless of their ability to pay, its just wrong to have somebody come to a hospital, "do you have insurance?" and if they dont, you send them away, what kind of society is that? I think the reason why the US spends so much money on their healthcare system, is because they wont fix people's problems when theyre small, when the procedure they need would be cheap...the patient doesnt have insurance so they wait, and wait and wait, until oh god, theyre about to die, and then the state or the governement has to pick up the bill, when if they could have just gone in in the first place, it would have been very easy to correct.

Although I can agree with you that Insurance Companies shouldn't prescribe medications, I disagree with the fact that healthcare is a right. Although the theory might sound fantastic on paper, it just doesn't become a reality in the world. The amount of money the Government would have to pay would be just ludicrous. Look at Canada for example. They're government provides healthcare to all its citizens. What do they have? A pretty poor government economically speaking. It may sound great to provide free healthcare to everybody, but the different treatments cost large amounts of money for a reason.

Plus, if the Government were to provide Healthcare, how would healthcare improve? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't necessarily trust the Government of all things to run a healthcare program. Even if they just footed the bill, the Government would make just as many shortcuts as your average Insurance company, if not more. Add that with the fact that Governmental leaders change possibly every four years, and you have widely changing standards for healthcare that could change between administrations. That would cause radically different costs, treatments, standards, etc. that would change dramatically over time.

I don't think the large amount of cost is caused by procrastination on the Government's cost. Sure, there may be some instances where some problems could be cut off earlier, but in most circumstances it will cost just as much early as it would later. Even if the Government were to provide Healthcare at the earliest possible identification of a problem, the cost of that with every US citizen for example, would be huge. It's just not reasonable to assume that the Government can actually provide a decent healthcare system. When you try to make something that widely available, at such a low cost, you know there's going to be a lack in quality.

IMO, I want as little governmental influence in Insurance/Medicare as possible.

Insurance companies don't {censored} you off as much as HMO's do, from what I can see. I mean, I should have the privilege to see whatever doctor I choose, but HMO's refuse to allow us to do that. Having the government step in and do socialized medicine won't solve anything either, as they are completely inept with Medicare/Medicaid (i.e. "rationing by inconvenience" in the Medicaid system, where if you're not authorized to see that doctor, said doctor doesn't get paid for his services). What makes anyone think the government wouldn't seriously screw up national socialized medicine?

Also on the hospital front: any hospital that takes government funds usually can't refuse someone based on lack of insurance. At least that's how it is in my state (it might be different in others).

Im not saying the government should pay for everybodys healthcare, but there should be a way for people WHO CANT AFFORD IT, to get decent healthcare in this country, other than digging into their savings accounts. I really do feel that medical costs would be lower if people could actually go into the doctor without ruining them financially, thats honestly just the way I feel.

Theres got to be a way to manage healthcare to the point where everyone gets treatment, its kind of cold and heartless to think otherwise...

Its amazing! I mean, if cuba can figure something out, the United States certainly can, if we cant, then were much more fragile than I was lead to believe...(or just selfish and greedy)

Again, this is a guy who has all his health insurance taken care of, I wouldnt mind paying extra taxes so that EVERYBODY could receieve medical care, its a small price to pay in the long run...

yea, it's amazing what people can get accomplished without bureaucrats and lobbyists. If the dictator says do it, it's done. No "but"s about it. There was a story on BBC the other day about health care in Cuba, and I too was amazed that every woman, man, child gets at least 1 visit per month by a doctor at no cost to the patient. Even American undergrads go to Cuba to learn about the health care system.

Its amazing! I mean, if cuba can figure something out, the United States certainly can, if we cant, then were much more fragile than I was lead to believe...(or just selfish and greedy)

Again, this is a guy who has all his health insurance taken care of, I wouldnt mind paying extra taxes so that EVERYBODY could receieve medical care, its a small price to pay in the long run...

LOL, yeah, Cuba has it figured out all right. Except for the fact that the people there are broke and trying to flee the communist paradise.

The problem is that I -would- mind paying extra taxes to make sure everybody gets covered. I pay almost 40% (overall) in taxes from what I make...and also its a lot bigger cost than a small tax increase. Its actually a huge price to pay in the longrun. You run the risk, because of the extra taxes (likely on businesses, not individuals) that our unemployment rate would look like those of Europe. From 5% now to 10-12% or more.

So is it worth it to have have people unemployed so that they have health care? IMO, no. I prefer the choice rather than being forced into something that may or may not be a good deal and having to pay for it either way.

my .02 (and a good topic...)

joneSi

Healthcare aint a right, it sounds good, it actauly goes quite well witht he whole utopia, live together, it doesnt amtter if your balck or white sort of thing, but it aint a right.

What about all those bums who get liver schirosis becasue they drink to much, why the hell should taxpayers have to pay for {censored} like tthat. It'd be better if they werent even alive at all, much less {censored} on the streets. Now if it was a nice old granny who just got cancer, then yeah she should get a bit of free healthcare, but not her whole friking leukemia threapy. I can see many better places that the government can spend the money on.

If ou dont look afetr your body, you shouldnt be looked after, you only have oner body so look after it.

Simple, they do a psych evaluation to see if somebody should get medical care, if they pretty much did it to themselves, and theyll do it to themselves again, then send them away...

Also, in the realm of taxes, its middle class businesses and people that get screwed with the 40% taxes, and it definately is wrong, if middle class people have to pay that much, that huge multinational corporations should have to pay that much too, not like 19% or some {censored}. Im not saying there wouldnt be other problems to fix, all im saying is that ive SEEN in my life, people that didnt get medical care, or good medical care simply because they didnt have insurance...and honestly, its just wrong. OR their insurance company overrides what the doctor perscribed and says "we want you to take this medicine instead, we have a deal with this pharmacudical company, so this is the medicine we want you to take" that should not be allowed. All this {censored} just bothers me, quite frankly, were all human beings, why dont we start treating eachother as such, rather than leaving the weak and underprivilaged ones to die.

• 7 months later...

I completely agree that HMOs are taking advantage of the population. There needs to be some major change in the way that insurance companies are regulated by the government. People should be able to see whatever doctor they want and be able to get whatever medicine they want without having to go through a long bureaucratic process. My sister for example, has horrible allergies. The only medicine that worked was Zyrtec. Getting it the first time was hard enough, they wanted to try all the other ones first. She missed several weeks of school because the insurance company wouldn't pay for the stuff that worked. Then for the past 3-4 years, they insurance company has insisted that she tries those meds again to make sure the others don't start working. And she misses more school. I think it's sad that it's affecting her ability to go to school, she's very smart and I'd hate to see her fall behind because she can't get allergy medicine.

I started looking at the healthcare in Cuba, the doctors only make $15-20 a month. I don't exactly know how they handle education, but I'll likely have around $200,000 in student loans by the time I get out of med. school, there's no way anyone could pay that back. Which brings up another problem in the medicine field: stupid lawsuits that take up time and money. I think this needs to be addressed NOW, some hospitals are losing doctors because they can't afford to pay for malpractice insurance (along with student loans I'm sure).