Ndiswrapper...

SenVa

Ndiswrapper on Mac OSx86  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Would Ndiswrapper help the Mac OSX86 community?

• Yes
    • No
    • NdisWhat?
  2. 2. Is it worth the effort?

• Yes, lets get our network up and running!
    • No, it is too hard... and way to much rewriting.
    • As along as I dont do the programming.

10 posts in this topic

Ndiswrapper is a linux program that adds support for windows network card drivers...

This means that people who have network cards (wired and wireless... usb, pci, ect) that don't have native drivers can use this program and the windows drivers to get a working network card.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

The down side of porting ndis is the amount of code that would need to be rewritten. Secondly, would apple do anything to shutdown a program thats only use is on pirated copies of its operating system?

Let me know what you guys think... should we get of people together or should we just deal with lack of drivers.

It seems people have some interest. If you guys could post what network cards are giving problems we can see if ndis supports them.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i have one request as i am a noob with mac os x and an experienced linux user the netgear wg311v3 works under ndiswrapper as well there are plenty of questions all over google about this wireless card and drivers, how to get it working etc. ...

Old thread brought back from the dead after ~6 months oh well...

Please, if this does get off the ground, use its BSD name: Project Evil.. it's so vastly much better of a name :censored2:

I would suppose so but there are also many other factors to look at including mac's "micro" / "monolithic" kernel structure. It would be easier to port drivers to c++ rewrite them and port them to mac however recompiling a kernel and testing these drivers for compatiblity is endlessly painstaking even if you know what you're doing. Linux has a very versatile kernel structure and therefore bsd's kernel calls would not crash as would those for mac's kernel. Apple developers have a better insight on this and have a very good reasoning why these projects would be near impossible to port from linux to mac. However, you raise a very good point.

• 10 months later...

could be used for other devices?

like sound or others?

I have problem with mounting mass storages via usb port on my hackintosh. to mount them each time I need to reboot and it's really boring.

hardware details

Q6600 on Abit IB9- P965/Ich8

I installed drivers for usb from osx86tools but no success.

so I hope to get better driver from ndiswrapper.

any Idea?

pardon me I am really nobe.

tanx.

Ndiswrapper is a linux program that adds support for windows network card drivers...

This means that people who have network cards (wired and wireless... usb, pci, ect) that don't have native drivers can use this program and the windows drivers to get a working network card.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

The down side of porting ndis is the amount of code that would need to be rewritten. Secondly, would apple do anything to shutdown a program thats only use is on pirated copies of its operating system?

Let me know what you guys think... should we get of people together or should we just deal with lack of drivers.