New SSD - New Installation or Copy?

blade5502

10 posts in this topic

Hello!

I've bought a new SSD for my Hackintosh (OCZ Vertex 2). Are there performance issues if i copy my existing and folly working system with e.g. CarbonCopyCloner or should i reinstall the whole system to get max SSD performance?

Hello!

I've bought a new SSD for my Hackintosh (OCZ Vertex 2). Are there performance issues if i copy my existing and folly working system with e.g. CarbonCopyCloner or should i reinstall the whole system to get max SSD performance?

Cloning the drive will work fine, just make sure to re-install your boot loader no matter what you use it will not get copied over to the new drive.

• 4 weeks later...
Thx! Worked without problems! System is extremely fast now!

Hi blade,

I too own an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD. I have a working snow leopard 10.6.6 install running flawlessly on my HD. I am thinking of installing snow leopard onto my ssd. The current firmware installed is 1.25, what firmware do you have installed on yours and what process did you have to do to install snow on your ssd? Was it just like on a normal hd or was there some kind of voodoo involved to get it to work?

Please let me know how you got your install to work?

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I tried a fresh install on a vertex 2 60gb, hooked to my asus p5w dh deluxe, but the installation was slow, and eventually crashed.

It took ten minutes just to copy ichat.

I tested the ssd on another machine before and it worked.

Any clues?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi blade,

I too own an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD. I have a working snow leopard 10.6.6 install running flawlessly on my HD. I am thinking of installing snow leopard onto my ssd. The current firmware installed is 1.25, what firmware do you have installed on yours and what process did you have to do to install snow on your ssd? Was it just like on a normal hd or was there some kind of voodoo involved to get it to work?

Please let me know how you got your install to work?

Thank you.

I've Firmware 1.32 on my Vertex 2. I just copied my old installation with carbon copy cloner. The only thing i had to do after copy is reinstalling the bootloader

I tried a fresh install on a vertex 2 60gb, hooked to my asus p5w dh deluxe, but the installation was slow, and eventually crashed.

It took ten minutes just to copy ichat.

I tested the ssd on another machine before and it worked.

Any clues?

AHCI enabled?

Cloning the drive will work fine, just make sure to re-install your boot loader no matter what you use it will not get copied over to the new drive.

Hi

Normally I have run my boot and Extra in the EFI partition on traditional HD, I've just bought a OCZ agility SATA III drive and mount_hfs doesn't seem to want to work on this even though EFI shows up under diskutil list as disk2s1

Can you still use this approach with SSD's or do you have to put your boot and Extra on the main partition with these drives?

thanks

Steve

Hi

Normally I have run my boot and Extra in the EFI partition on traditional HD, I've just bought a OCZ agility SATA III drive and mount_hfs doesn't seem to want to work on this even though EFI shows up under diskutil list as disk2s1

Can you still use this approach with SSD's or do you have to put your boot and Extra on the main partition with these drives?

thanks

Steve

Never mind, fixed it now, it needed explicitly formatting

newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/diskXsY

I just purchased an Agility 3, glad to know things are working. I will do this when Lion comes out for full release (much less bugs and stuff). Don't forget to use trim enabler, OS X only recognizes Apple SSDs and enables trim. 3rd Party SSDs require trim enabler.