InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jrsdead

a/ux

Rhapsody seems to be getting a bit more attention about here recently so i was wondering what you all think and know about A/UX. Has anyone out there any experience using this early version of a cross between UNIX and Mac OS? What machines can it run on? Can it be ran in an emulator (i dont think it can neeeding specific M68k hardware features) if so what ROM and where to find it (the ROM)?

jrsdead

Advertisement

Well I have used a Macintosh SE/30 with System 7.0 and I used A/UX and I think it is interesting. However I think the Mach kernel in Rhapsody is by far more useful (in my humble opinion). By the way, sweet avatar there pal!

Guru

Nope, this is a no-show on an emulator. If you'd want to take this for a ride, a Quadra is a safe bet.

Anyway, to those interested, I've seeded this 'somewhere' :sorcerer:

Yes, I've tried this on three 68k emulators, and it hasn't worked on any of them, with different problems each time. A/UX is cool though...

@ Paquito - Call it "the green demon"

The primary issue with it not working with an emulator is that it needs the math co-processor and those aren't emulated from what I remember. I actually had a system that AU/X should have run on, but I couldn't get the damn CDROM to boot. I have a feeling that it was about dead, though. I still have all the images and stuff for AU/X, but I never finished the prject.