Lack Of Customization On Apple Store

13 posts in this topic

I have made my mind up and I think the iMac is pretty much what I need. I don't like Apple's hardware, though the Mac Pro is a steal for the power in it, since the hardware is overpriced (laptop especially). I was going to get a Macbook toward the end of this year, but for the money I could get an iMac and replace my huge crt and get an all in one package, dual boot XP, yada yada. So I checked the site again, I knew the prices but wanted to double check, and I found something that pisses me off: If I chose the 17 inch iMac, I CAN NOT select a X1600 256 megs card. Why? You can customize the X1600 on the 20 inch though. So Apple can't say they can't customize the iMac. It is the same on the Macbook. To get a superdrive, you HAVE TO buy the middle one. WHY? I will tell you why: to make us spend MORE money and to me this is price gouging(sp?). The Mac Pro is 100% customizable and the older PPC iMacs, Powerbooks etc were to. So in my case of the iMac, WHY should I pay $400 to be able to upgrade the video card THEN pay $75 to get the card. {censored}. This is rediculous. *sigh* I am about to make my plans for a full blown Mac and I run into more Apple greed. This is rediculous. A new hackintosh is looking ALOT better. :):angry:

yes, it's made to make you buy higher, but is not an apple-only tactic, I have seen similar behavior (not the same, other companies have different kinds of product lineups) on other manufacturers

To me this is rediculous for Apple to do. I mean if Apple held a large market share and was in the upper percentage of computer hardware companies, then I guess I could see it (not really but I would expect it). In reality Apple is small potatoes compared to other companies. I would think Apple would take every opportunity to make their product appealing. Customization is appealing to me, not stagnation.

All I hear is crying and moaning. If you hate the price that much, you have alternatives in getting a $50 Dell box that just...sucks...and runs Windows.

it is a valid point. what if you dont want a 20 inch display but you would like a t2500 and a 256mb x1600 on a 17 inch screen? im not saying that other retailers (i.e. dell) dont do it as well but this discussion is talking about apple.

The iMac video is onboard. More configurations means more logic board designs, subsequently raising the cost. In their eyes bigger means better, so they chose the configurations that way. It seems simple to me. The iMac is a consumer machine, granular choices scare the average consumer. You have smaller, moderate and powerful (for an iMac). If you want to deck it out, buy the Mac Pro. It's a form of efficient sales design.

The iMac video is onboard. More configurations means more logic board designs, subsequently raising the cost. In their eyes bigger means better, so they chose the configurations that way. It seems simple to me. The iMac is a consumer machine, granular choices scare the average consumer. You have smaller, moderate and powerful (for an iMac). If you want to deck it out, buy the Mac Pro. It's a form of efficient sales design.

The iMac video isn't onboard, you can upgrade it and buy cards for it, the mac mini, and the cube (all of these old PPC models) on ebay. They are customized cards that only fit that model, but NOT built on. The fact they can change the boards in the 20 inch shows that they can in the 17 inch, just they don't want to so that you spend more. Plain and simple.

The iMac video isn't onboard, you can upgrade it and buy cards for it, the mac mini, and the cube (all of these old PPC models) on ebay. They are customized cards that only fit that model, but NOT built on. The fact they can change the boards in the 20 inch shows that they can in the 17 inch, just they don't want to so that you spend more. Plain and simple.

:) Where the hell did you get the idea that the Mac mini and the iMac isn't onboard?? You are quite simply WRONG (although you are right about the Cube, but that's a totally different story).

I mean if Apple held a large market share and was in the upper percentage of computer hardware companies, then I guess I could see it (not really but I would expect it). In reality Apple is small potatoes compared to other companies.

Actually, Apple is the 4th or 5th largest computer maker, and it's only that low because of the HP/Compaq and Gateway/eMachines mergers. It's far larger than many other computer makers you may have heard of.

Ok, well I was wrong on thre replaceable video in the imacs (didn't mean to post mac mini). I assumed since the cube was upgradable the imacs were.

Still, not letting you choose the graphics card in the 17 inch is greedy.

Still, 4th or 5th is not the top 3.

If you havent noticed all computer companys do it... It's part of being a company, it's a good way to sell systems. Some people do spend the extra $200+ so they can have the little things like a SuperDrive, a nice video card, and other things. Why wouldn't they do this? Doing this makes them more money, people are still satisfied, but it's only every ounce in a while that someone brings up that they should be more customisable, but there obviously not going to listen since the vast majority doesn't care and it's making them more money by not doing it.