Tablet War

12 posts in this topic

The fight is making it's way to the Techway Fight Club floor where these two contenders will take on each other. The infamous iPad will find it's competitor the Blqckberry PlayBook. Playbook you might say may sound quite silly for a tablet but Research In Motion (RIM) is playing no folly with this new gig as it projected to have high sales from the company.

Here is a breif brake down of the specs of each contender respectively.

Weing in at approximately 0.9 lbs (400g for our metric readers) from the depths of the motional movements of research we have the

Blackberry PlayBook

bb-playbook-1-21-sm.jpg

Courtesy of Engadget

With the spec sheet shown below...

• 7? LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support

• 1 GHz dual-core processor

• 1GB RAM

• BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing

• Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording

• Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV

• Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA

• HDMI video output

• Wi-Fi – 802.11 a/b/g/n

• Bluetooth? 2.1 + EDR

• Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts

• Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe

• Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java

• Measures 5.1?x7.6?x0.4? (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)

• Additional features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook will be shared on or before the date this product is launched in retail outlets.
    These should prove to be some very strong points to take on the tablet King sir iPad the first.

Incase for any non logical reason you have forgotten the specs for Sir iPad, here's the run down once more to job those brain cells of yours

Apple iPad

dimensions_20100127.jpg

Courtesy of Apple

Display

• 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology

• 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)

• Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

• Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Capacity

• 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive

Processor

• 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip

Audio Playback

• Audio formats supported: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

• Wi-Fi

• Digital compass

• Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

• Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
    Now it is up to the comsumers with that given information and their interest in gadgets to see which tablet will win them over. RIM's ironically named "PlayBook", seems to digress a bit from RIM's business minded moto. Nonetheless, ultimately it will be the end user experience that will determine how the newbie tablet will fair with the current King of All the iPad.

The PlayBook will have to produce some serious sales to begin playing catchup with the iPad if RIM hopes for it to become a successful tablet because other manufactures are bound to jump on to the tablet bandwaggon war in a few months from now. How will the PlayBook play its cards in this bloodbath round? The quarterly earnings will soon tell.

InsanelyMac thoughts?
    Let's get ready to ruuumbleeee!

Sources: Apple iPad Spec Sheet, Engadget

• 1 month later...
PlayBook..more compact iPad with a front and back camera, and hopefully less price than the iPad..

When the iPad gets a camera the price will jump up at least $30, like the iPawd Touch >.>

iPod Touch didn't get a price increase because of the camera at the 8GB level, it was more due to that screen. Even then, what's the point of a Touch with less than 16GB of storage? Apps, music, and video eat up an 8GB model in a real hurry.

I've got my eye out for Dixons Advent 10" and the Notionink, both should be available this year.

Thee Dixons is very competitively priced at around 250 UKP, 300 Euro or 350 USD. It should be in UK stores right now, but I don't live there, so I don't know.

The Notionink is slightly more vaporwariccy !

• 3 weeks later...

i hate to say it, but i feel that adobe flash will become an issue for the iPad.. i love my iPad, it has replaced my macbook and even at times my desktop.. btw i hated the idea of an iPad, but the missing of flash has really crippled in my opinion what would be an unbeatable product

• 2 weeks later...