Best Working ATi PCI-E Video Cards

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

After a long battle with my BFG Nvidia 7300GSoc vs OSX, I have decided to get myself an ATi card. My Nvidia card is good and all but I just don't know how much longer I can live without QE/CI. I need my h/w acceceration. Anyways, so I'm looking for a PCI-E ATi card best suited for OSx86 with the least amount of fuss needed to get it work correcty. I've check with the wikki about I'd like to hear about your experience with your ATi card(s).

Thanks guys!

Hmm well I guess you missed the whole point of the thread. I'm asking for one that'll work pretty much STRAIGHT out of the box (least amount of patching and kext editing)and I'm also asking for peoples experiences with their cards. You however have'nt really contributed anything aside from your opinon. You should have just said what it was like getting your card to work. There are MANY cards in the x1600 series. Are you saying all of them work and are QC/CI supported? what about the X1300EAX series?? Please be a little more spectific.

Only the x1600 and x1800 have been confirmed to work nearly completely, as far as I know, meaning:

1. No tearing.

2. Refresh/Resolution rates.

3. QE/CI/GL.

right out of the box(with the boris method).

A few people claim to have gotten DVI but there is no definite pattern to how.

ASUS Silent 1600XT DVI works as confirmed by myself and abrracus. Simply follow the boris method. Drives my Dell 24" LCD with no problems from DVI using Jas 10.4.6. Dual monitor not supported.

ASUS Silent 1600XT DVI works as confirmed by myself and abrracus. Simply follow the boris method. Drives my Dell 24" LCD with no problems from DVI using Jas 10.4.6. Dual monitor not supported.

My ASUS 1600XT Silencer PCIe, bought 2 weeks ago, is recognized only as a VESA 3.0 card, with no hardware acceleration. Yes, I tried the Boris method, both with NeoPheus' installer and manually. I think new buyers should look at another card.

My ASUS 1600XT Silencer PCIe, bought 2 weeks ago, is recognized only as a VESA 3.0 card, with no hardware acceleration. Yes, I tried the Boris method, both with NeoPheus' installer and manually. I think new buyers should look at another card.

Are you talking about this card? I find it hard to believe it would work for others and not for you. What version of OSX did you install? I can try to help you figure it out, if you have Jas 10.4.6.

Are you talking about this card? I find it hard to believe it would work for others and not for you. What version of OSX did you install? I can try to help you figure it out, if you have Jas 10.4.6.

Yup, that's the card. Yes, I have JaS 10.4.6. At least two other people have reported failure with recently-purchased iterations of this card in other threads; it's not just me.

I'm using the VGA port.

HHAHHAHAHAh, i have exactly the same card and it works out of the box, just make sure that you haev at least 10.4.6 kexts, and i bought mine like 1 month ago, also i am using the DVI port but i dont get dual monitor support

HHAHHAHAHAh, i have exactly the same card and it works out of the box, just make sure that you haev at least 10.4.6 kexts, and i bought mine like 1 month ago, also i am using the DVI port but i dont get dual monitor support

I've done a lot of reading, and I've never heard of one working out of the box. People always have to use the borisbadenov method. Are you sure it worked "out of the box"?

Does your card have tv-out? (a big purple breakout cable) There are at least two versions of this card; one with tv-out and one without it. See this thread.

Does your card have tv-out? (a big purple breakout cable) There are at least two versions of this card; one with tv-out and one without it. See this thread.

Thanks for pointing this thread out. I wasn't aware that card has changed since I purchased it. I have the version with DVI plug on the bottom.

The MSI RX1600PRO-TD256E(purchased 3rd week July) works with the manual Boris method and also the installer. Working QE/CI, res change, rotation, DVI digital only, vga does not work on mine and only single monitor.

mir...

You all realize when they switch the Power Mac G5 over to intel, their gonna put nVidia cards in it, resulting in intel based nVidia kexts. Then its probably only a matter of like 2 weeks untill one of th "leet haxxors" on this site come up with a patch for us nVidia users

You all realize when they switch the Power Mac G5 over to intel, their gonna put nVidia cards in it, resulting in intel based nVidia kexts. Then its probably only a matter of like 2 weeks untill one of th "leet haxxors" on this site come up with a patch for us nVidia users

Yup, that's right! For the time being I have been running off of my GMA 950 in the meanwhile, eagerly awaiting!