[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530.

111 posts in this topic

Sorry for doubleposting if so.

Anyone tried the ATI 5750 or 5770 with the new iAtkos release?

My toughts is that it might run grate since it is standard iMac card.

Also it fits into Inspiron 530 because it's low on power. (max 300w PSU)

I am planning on upgrading from 3650 to 5770, and need SL thats why i am asking.

I am curious about if anyone using more then 3-4Gigs of RAM in their Inspiron 530 with OSX? I heard that the Mainboard will not adress more. Anyone tried?

//K

I am curious about if anyone using more then 3-4Gigs of RAM in their Inspiron 530 with OSX? I heard that the Mainboard will not adress more. Anyone tried?

//K

I have 6GB in mine as you saw above. Worked with Leopard, Snow Leopard, Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit , so neither a limitation of software nor hardware. Perhaps someone was trying with 32bit Windows, which has its own limitations on memory addressing.

post-259482-1292279585_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys has anyone been able to solve the issue of not being able to get a higher monitor resolution then 1024x768 yet? Everything else was a success for me! Thank You

Depends on which video card you have. My stock 530 came with ATI 3600. tried everything to get native hi-resolution but failed. gave up in the end and got a ZOTAC nVidia GT 240 (1 GB DDR5 with onboard audio over HDMI). Works right out the box and fully accelerated. It only takes up one slot.

nVidia cards tend to be better supported by OS X than ATI because of their common driver architecture (same true for Windows).

hi, i'm reading your forum for a long time & im 100% beginers in hackintosh. first let me tell you that all i can read everywhere on the internet including here is kinda hard to understand. i knew hackintosh was not an easy thing for newbies like me & indeed it really is not. it makes about 40 times for real that i try to install snow leopard all in vain. i first tried 20 times on a HP SLIMLINE s3215 (amd athlon 64 X2) which seems not very compatible in the end. using either leohazard 10 6 1/10 6 2 amd version, either a bootloader plus retail 10 6 3, even both through vmware 7.1 on windows 7.... and nothing worked. so i ve searched solutions for this one on so many pages & finally found those pages for inspiron 530 where it was written install successfull on that computer.

lucky me my other computer is inspiron 530. so i decided to forget about the HP Slimline 3215 & tried DELL inspiron 530. (by the way if someone has solution for the HP, please gimme links, i so found nothing, i guess it is very uncompatible but who knows)

anyway all this to say i tried to install iatkos S3 V2 at least 20 times as well & still in vain. i didnt try the leopard first then snow leopard method because you clearly wrote here that iatkos s3 v2 worked. so i directly tried S3V2 very recently & i didnt succeed. i even tried it vitually with vmware 7.1 in vain. both methods were close to succeed but it didnt. on the real physical disc (not by vmware) i am the closest to succeed, install ends successfully & problem comes after the reboot. i'm stucked on the grey background with the apple & it stays forever.

all this to say that it is really really hard to understand for a newbie like me. i still try to understand everyday but i realize it is such a mountain in front of me; even here it is not so clear. things look natural for you but its not for me (truely sorry !!!) i dont understand even the half of what i need to check or uncheck. what are all those stuffs for. its easy to blindly follow a guide & if it works then fine but if it doesnt thats where understanding what you are doing helps & in my case i dont understand what i'm doing most of the time & thats the problem. i do know that. i realize i have to learn the hack part & the mac part which are both quite hard. (yes yes mac is quite hard, i know it has the reputation to be easy but its not.... its exactly the same as windows when you see them for the first time... anyway i still wanna learn)

sorry for that long message but it is to reply to the fact that an updated S3V2 guide was necessar. BELIVE ME IT IS, i cant wait for it even if iatkos S3V2 looks easier & faster than the very first option (it is indeed) but it s still hard. what do i need to check or uncheck in the customized parts to make at last my inspiron 530 work. i am lost. i dont know how you do all that but congratulations, sincerely, i hope i'll succeed one day.

by the way my inspiron 530 is intel core 2 duo 2.66Ghz, with ATI radeon 2400HD graphic card. bios is 1 0 18 with raid option, and theres 4gb ram; is it possible with that.

thanks for reading

Ok, first things first: yank the 2400HD out and try my guide again. I'll update for iAtkos S3V2 as soon as I can, but I can guarantee you the reason you aren't getting it to work is because you've got that card in there.

Look earlier in the thread; someone posted how to get iAtkos S3V2 to install properly. It's really very simple if you know what options to check, and when I get a few min I'll look at it and let you know. But seriously, get rid of that card if you want to hackintosh. Any GeForce is gonna work better--I purchased a Geforce 9500GS for $15 and it runs beautifully--only took a "Graphics Enabled" key and the nvenabled.kext.

Also, 10.6.5 works fine.

Depends on which video card you have. My stock 530 came with ATI 3600. tried everything to get native hi-resolution but failed. gave up in the end and got a ZOTAC nVidia GT 240 (1 GB DDR5 with onboard audio over HDMI). Works right out the box and fully accelerated. It only takes up one slot.

nVidia cards tend to be better supported by OS X than ATI because of their common driver architecture (same true for Windows).

Hey Paranoid1 Thank You for responding. I do in fact have a nVidia. Here is the info it is giving me about what kind I have,

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

I can't get this to work. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank You!

Thank you all for the excellent write up installing Mac OS. I do have one question, what do I have to do to see my hard drive icon on the desktop? For some reason it doesn’t show. In my original Mac it there by default install

Thank you all

Rick N

I did a fresh install on my i530 and updated to 10.6.5 using System Updater with few problems.

After rebooting I would get stuck on "still waiting for root device" message, even though I toggled between the BIOS settings for IDE/RAID several times. The solution? I booted into an old (working) OS install, re-copied over the kexts from A Chance of Snow at 5:30 to my /S/L/E directory and dragged that folder over Kext Helper. I rebooted into the 10.6.5 partition (using the "ignore caches" option) and after a delay I saw my desktop. (from there, I installed a new audio kext manually.)

what do I have to do to see my hard drive icon on the desktop?

Check under the menu: Finder > Preferences > "Show these items on the desktop"

I personally like the cleaner desktop.

Has anyone found a better audio kext yet? The one I use has a quiet screeching noise.

Thanks for all the hard work of everyone involved here. And thanks for the A Chance of Snow at 5:30 kext pack!

Hey Paranoid1 Thank You for responding. I do in fact have a nVidia. Here is the info it is giving me about what kind I have,

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

I can't get this to work. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank You!

wizmac15,

For me, I had to add the GraphicsEnabler=yes in com.apple.boot.plist. I am running 10.6.5 booted via Chameleon RC5 r651 which does the magic of injecting the right strings and the correct nvidia driver is loaded at boot time. Your 8600 GT is slightly older than mine but should work with NVDANV40Hal.kext or the NVDANV50Hal.kext (which is the one used for my card).

Attached is my complete map of all files I used on my Dell 530.

NOTE:

I do not use the onboard ethernet port as it is not Gigabit (instead I added a Realtek 8169 based PCI board and it just works without any configs/files/editing/etc). If you are using the onboard ethernet, then you will need to install Intel82566MM.kext in /S/L/E.

I set my HDD mode to IDE in the BIOS (so that I can access all 4 SATA ports) and thus need the modified IOATAFamiliy.kext (included in the attachement).

Also, with the attached, I can Shutdown (complete power-off), Restart, Sleep (all fans off, flashing power light), and wake-up by key press or pressing the power button. The only issue with wake-up is that audio no longer works and requires a restart (thus you can say sleep does not quite work).

All runs in 64-Bits.

Has anyone found a better audio kext yet? The one I use has a quiet screeching noise.

Thanks for all the hard work of everyone involved here. And thanks for the A Chance of Snow at 5:30 kext pack!

See my reply to wizmac15 above. I used the AppleHDA.kext that's in the attachment. That together with the DSDT.aml, I get 2-ch audio, front panel headphones work (and switch-off the stereo speakers when plugged in). Works fine as long as you do not use sleep. Still looking for a solution for that. Works fine on restart.

MacNB_Hack.zip

See my reply to wizmac15 above. I used the AppleHDA.kext that's in the attachment. That together with the DSDT.aml, I get 2-ch audio, front panel headphones work (and switch-off the stereo speakers when plugged in). Works fine as long as you do not use sleep. Still looking for a solution for that. Works fine on restart.

AppleHDA stopped working for me with 10.6.5 and rolling back didn't help, either. VoodooHDA got my sound back without any screeching that I could tell. Have you tried that?

FIXED: Forgot about an old 3Com network card in the box. Took that out and things are OK now.

I've followed this guide several times, successfully except for the on-board ethernet.

I've tried the Intel82566MM kext included in the package as well as another compiled later claiming to work on 64 bit systems.

The driver does load, and I see the ethernet in the preferences panel, but it always has a self-assigned IP address.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Check under the menu: Finder > Preferences > "Show these items on the desktop"

I personally like the cleaner desktop.

also looking for the sleep option fix

One more thing, not so important I notes that the screen savers are not working. Any ideas on whats happening with this?

AppleHDA stopped working for me with 10.6.5 and rolling back didn't help, either. VoodooHDA got my sound back without any screeching that I could tell. Have you tried that?

yeh I tried the VoodooHDA 2.7.2 and all I get is 4 x HDMI inputs and outs. I think it is picking up my GT 240 audio codecs. I tried changing it's info.plist to skip the graphics card codecs but made no difference. I tired other voodoohda's and got no sound at all.

At the moment I can only get sound out the AppleHDA kext in my attachment (as long as I do not sleep).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you please attach your voodoohda.kext and configs for me ?

Just need someone who has sleep working and get their audio kext.

also looking for the sleep option fix

See my dsdt.dsl file. There are several changes required to a the DSDT file to enable sleep. Two in particular:

1. making the USB ports appears are "built-in" to MAC OS

2. setting the right value in the SMIP register for the motherboard to goto sleep

Currently, I get the system to sleep (either via "sleep" key on my keyboard, or via Apple menu command or simply via the Power button). The display turns off, usb devices turn off, all fans turn off and the power LED flashes -- just like when I am running Vista.

When I hit the power button (or any key on the keyboard), the display powers up, the fans turn on and the system is back up and running.......EXCEPT the audio. There are audio errors in the kernel log file. It appears something within the audio drivers get corrupted on wake from sleep. I am currently trying to find an audio driver that works after sleep.

Have a look at my DSDT and see if you can make the same changes to your DSDT and compile it. At your own risk :blink:

Tip: you can have a test dsdt file that you can select at boot time via Chameleon. Say you have your test file in the root directory (/test.dsdt.aml), then at the Chameleon boot prompt enter :

-v Wait=yes DSDT=/test.dsdt.aml

This will boot in Verbose mode, wait till Chameleon has done it's work and is about to fire-up the Mac OS.

wizmac15,

For me, I had to add the GraphicsEnabler=yes in com.apple.boot.plist. I am running 10.6.5 booted via Chameleon RC5 r651 which does the magic of injecting the right strings and the correct nvidia driver is loaded at boot time. Your 8600 GT is slightly older than mine but should work with NVDANV40Hal.kext or the NVDANV50Hal.kext (which is the one used for my card).

Attached is my complete map of all files I used on my Dell 530.

NOTE:

I do not use the onboard ethernet port as it is not Gigabit (instead I added a Realtek 8169 based PCI board and it just works without any configs/files/editing/etc). If you are using the onboard ethernet, then you will need to install Intel82566MM.kext in /S/L/E.

I set my HDD mode to IDE in the BIOS (so that I can access all 4 SATA ports) and thus need the modified IOATAFamiliy.kext (included in the attachement).

Also, with the attached, I can Shutdown (complete power-off), Restart, Sleep (all fans off, flashing power light), and wake-up by key press or pressing the power button. The only issue with wake-up is that audio no longer works and requires a restart (thus you can say sleep does not quite work).

All runs in 64-Bits.

Success Paranoid1 ! Thank You!

My Apple Cinema HD Display works great at full rez.

My Dell Monitor I was able to set to my full resolution at 1920 x 1200. The Refresh Rate is stuck at 60 Hertz. I can see the waves and the monitor is a bit blurry. I am not sure if that is just the setting for that monitor or is there a way for me to change the refresh rate on that Dell Monitor?

Like I said the Apple Cinema HD looks great though.

I have not tried the sleep mode yet. Which files are those that I need to install from your MacNB_Hack.zip file?

Thank You for your help.

Success Paranoid1 ! Thank You!

My Apple Cinema HD Display works great at full rez.

My Dell Monitor I was able to set to my full resolution at 1920 x 1200. The Refresh Rate is stuck at 60 Hertz. I can see the waves and the monitor is a bit blurry. I am not sure if that is just the setting for that monitor or is there a way for me to change the refresh rate on that Dell Monitor?

Like I said the Apple Cinema HD looks great though.

I have not tried the sleep mode yet. Which files are those that I need to install from your MacNB_Hack.zip file?

Thank You for your help.

Congratulations !!

Not sure why your Dell monitor has issues. Sounds like there a problem with cabling ? Are you using some kind of converter such as DVI-to-VGA ? Are you sure your Dell Monitor can actually display 1920x1200 ? I get slightly blurry picture on my monitor when I set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 because that is NOT the native resolution of my monitor (which is 2048 x 1152) and so what the monitor is doing to trying to scale-down the pixels. Conversely, your graphics cards is trying to produce a resolution that is not one of it's natural modes.

Regarding Sleep, that is more complex. it all depends on what exactly you have as h/w in your system, what BIOS you have, and what settings you have in BIOS, what exact kexts you currently have, and what your current DSDT.aml file is configured with.

First quick test is to compile my dsdt.dsl file (use DSDTSE editor here) and copy the resultant dsdt.aml file to the root (e.g. /test.dsdt.aml)

Then, restart your system and at the Chameleon boot choice enter:

Hit Enter and let it boot and report back your findings together with the following:

1. Your DSDT.aml file

2. com.apple.boot.plist file

3. SMBIOS.plist file

4. List of files (or actual files) in your /Extra/Extensions folder

5. List of files (or actual files) that you added or modified in your /System/Library/Extensions folder

6. Version number of the Chameleon boot loader you are using

7. BIOS settings for your HDD and Power management

Hint: you could zip it all up like I did.

I will then take a look at your DSDT file.

Hey fellow Inspiron 530 owners!

After reading through this and many other threads, I finally have the confidence to get a Hackintosh working on my Dell. I just have a few questions though:

1) I'm still a bit unclear about what to check during the installation. I know I have to check AppleHDA and VoodooHDA and NVEnabler for my GT240. I know I need that Intel kext for ethernet to work, which is floating somewhere in this thread. What other things do I need? If someone could make a list, that'd be great. :)

2) I see that iAtkos is a shrunken version of the actual retail DVD. What stuff is missing from iAtkos that the retail DVD has?

3) When I went to download iAtkos S3 V2 from TPB, I saw that someone had issues burning to a DVD+R and said that you needed a DVD-R. Unfortunately, I only have the +R version. Did anyone have troubles with this?

4) I don't really want to type in -v busratio=(something, I forgot) every time I want to boot into OSX. Is there a way around this? I saw that someone could boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install with iAtkos.

Also, I tried to download the "A Chance of Snow" from the OP, but kext.com said that it was an "Invalid ID". I found another website that let me download the folder. Is it the same one?

http://leopardkext.blogspot.com/2010/11/ch...now-at-530.html

Thanks a lot guys! Hope to have this working soon. :)

Dell Inspiron 530

Intel Q6600 2.4GHz

2GB DDR2 800 RAM

nVidia GT240

500GB 7200 RPM hard drive

Windows Vista Home Premium :D

Please tell me more about the ram upgrade to 6GB. What are the specs of the ram you are using?

Example

Manufacturer ?

Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 ?

2 X 2GB and 1X GB ?

Many Thanks!

I have 6GB in mine as you saw above. Worked with Leopard, Snow Leopard, Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit , so neither a limitation of software nor hardware. Perhaps someone was trying with 32bit Windows, which has its own limitations on memory addressing.

post-259482-1292279585_thumb.jpg

I updated "A Chance of Snow at 5:30"

Using DSDTSE I extracted my DSDT and installed it. DSDTSE auto magically applied 11 Optimizations. Using a SleepEnabler.kext and this new DSDT I was able to get sleep. But when I wake the computer up by hitting a keyboard key the keyboard will not work unless I replug it, and the same goes for the mouse. So I use the computers power button to wake it.

I made a Chameleon boot CD for the Inspiron 530.

With this boot CD you can install Snow Leopard on your Inspiron 530 with just a Retail Snow Leopard install DVD and this CD. No need of access to a computer running OS X.

I tried to install using iAtkos S3 V2 today. Didn't work as well as I expected. I set the boot device to my DVD drive and my SATA mode to RAID. I booted off the iAtkos disk and I see the Apple loading screen with the little circle underneath. It would spin for several minutes and then I would be presented with the language selection. I select English and then it would say "Preparing Installation" for several minutes. Then it says it wasn't able to install and gave me options to restart, shut down, save log, or view log. I looked at the log and naturally didn't understand any of it. I didn't save the log though. Next, I tried to install by using -v -f, but then I got this weird error. I would see a bunch of white text on a black background and then I see this:

disk1s3: I/O error

Then it started saying something about SAM and how it couldn't read or write. I saw on some other guides about busratio=20 and cpus=1 so I booted the disk with -v cpus=1 busratio=20. Then I would see the Chameleon background with four lines of text. It said that it was trying to load machkernal or something like that. It froze there. I restarted and tried to boot iAtkos again, this time without any boot options. I got a kernal panic. I've attached a picture of it. By the way, this kernal panic was after numerous attempts of installing. Man, I really wonder why my computer doesn't install as easily as other people's. :) Help please!

post-702612-1293236914_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Currently got 10.6.5 running here on my Dell Inspiron 530 with the following spec:-

CPU - Intel Core Duo E8400 3GHz

GFX - Nvidia 1GB 8500GT

Mem - 3GB

PSU - 480Watts

I used iAtkos S3 v2 to install and everything is working as it should, point is... I need to upgrade my graphics card for gaming as the 8500GT just can't cut it I am afraid...

I know I have a bit of leeway now that I have a greater capacity power supply installed, I am just worried about purchasing the wrong card.

So basically what Nvidia card am I best looking at for minimum hassle, almost plug n play if you will, around the £100-£150 mark?

Many thanks

Sys

Congratulations !!

Not sure why your Dell monitor has issues. Sounds like there a problem with cabling ? Are you using some kind of converter such as DVI-to-VGA ? Are you sure your Dell Monitor can actually display 1920x1200 ? I get slightly blurry picture on my monitor when I set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 because that is NOT the native resolution of my monitor (which is 2048 x 1152) and so what the monitor is doing to trying to scale-down the pixels. Conversely, your graphics cards is trying to produce a resolution that is not one of it's natural modes.

Regarding Sleep, that is more complex. it all depends on what exactly you have as h/w in your system, what BIOS you have, and what settings you have in BIOS, what exact kexts you currently have, and what your current DSDT.aml file is configured with.

First quick test is to compile my dsdt.dsl file (use DSDTSE editor here) and copy the resultant dsdt.aml file to the root (e.g. /test.dsdt.aml)

Then, restart your system and at the Chameleon boot choice enter:

Hit Enter and let it boot and report back your findings together with the following:

1. Your DSDT.aml file

2. com.apple.boot.plist file

3. SMBIOS.plist file

4. List of files (or actual files) in your /Extra/Extensions folder

5. List of files (or actual files) that you added or modified in your /System/Library/Extensions folder

6. Version number of the Chameleon boot loader you are using

7. BIOS settings for your HDD and Power management

Hint: you could zip it all up like I did.

I will then take a look at your DSDT file.

Thank You Paranoid1 I was able to get everything to work fine on that machine. I have about 4 of the Same Inspiron 530 Dells. I have tried this same install method from "spectheintro" But having problems with getting Leopard and Snow Leopard on these other machines. On one machine after partitioning and install of Leopard when I try to boot into LEopard my computer will hang with a gray apple logo then A small gray circle with a slash through it. It just hangs there I have tried changing my bios setting back to IDE, etc nothing works.

On my Other dell After leopard boot the screen becomes all distorted and looks like a just a bunch of white squares.

I have been doing the same exact install on these other two Dells as I did for the first Dell. I have tried reinstalling about 3 different times for each machine. Clean wiping and re-partitioning for each. Still no luck.

Do you have a step by step install tutorial that I could follow for these machines? If you can Include any files I might need that would be great as well. Thanks so much fro all your help.

• 2 months later...
yeh I tried the VoodooHDA 2.7.2 and all I get is 4 x HDMI inputs and outs. I think it is picking up my GT 240 audio codecs. I tried changing it's info.plist to skip the graphics card codecs but made no difference. I tired other voodoohda's and got no sound at all.

At the moment I can only get sound out the AppleHDA kext in my attachment (as long as I do not sleep).

After 3 years... the 530s (yes, s as in slim) is functioning perfectly, thanks to Paranoid1 for the dsdt and smbios files. Yes, even sound works after wake from sleep!

The AppleHDA I'm using ... Sorry. That file does not work either. :)