[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530.

111 posts in this topic

Ok Guys, I did the entire Installation again. This time, I followed the guide on Mattisz, meaning that I used the files posted there and also, I used iATKOS 5i instead of iATKOS v7. This time again I get a kernel Error and this is what it is.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5996/ss2806201041133pm.jpg

That is the Image of the Kernel panic. Now if this is caused by following his guide or something, I would be more than happy than to come back to this guide. Either one is fine by me and it seems either guide takes me the same spot before it gives me a kernel panic, it might be a different panic but its the exact same location where the panic is given.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to your responses.

Sai:

the screenshot you posted is far too blurry; I can't make the text out. The first kernel panic you were getting was because of AppleHDA, which is your sound kext. Follow my guide's steps again to get to a working Leopard install, install Snow Leopard, then go into your Library\System\Extensions folder on Snow Leopard and DELETE any instance of AppleHDA.kext. Afterwards, copy over all of the kexts in "a chance for snow" to the extensions folder, then drag that folder onto Kext Utility. Let it finish, then drag Kext Utility to Snow Leopard's apps, and restart. That should fix your issue.

Sai:

the screenshot you posted is far too blurry; I can't make the text out. The first kernel panic you were getting was because of AppleHDA, which is your sound kext. Follow my guide's steps again to get to a working Leopard install, install Snow Leopard, then go into your Library\System\Extensions folder on Snow Leopard and DELETE any instance of AppleHDA.kext. Afterwards, copy over all of the kexts in "a chance for snow" to the extensions folder, then drag that folder onto Kext Utility. Let it finish, then drag Kext Utility to Snow Leopard's apps, and restart. That should fix your issue.

Ok, I'm going to try that now but it isn't necessary that I have to use RAID right? Because I am just using IDE, will that change anything? Furthermore, I only have one internal hard drive and that only.

And also, terribly sorry about the picture, I was in the process of taking a better picture when I received your response, so I will just do this method and see the outcome. Thanks for the reply and once I have finished my installation I will let you know the results. Thanks again.

Ok, I'm going to try that now but it isn't necessary that I have to use RAID right? Because I am just using IDE, will that change anything? Furthermore, I only have one internal hard drive and that only.

And also, terribly sorry about the picture, I was in the process of taking a better picture when I received your response, so I will just do this method and see the outcome. Thanks for the reply and once I have finished my installation I will let you know the results. Thanks again.

No problem. You don't have to use RAID--if you decide not to, just don't copy the IOATA kext over, since it's unnecessary. BTW, the Leopard install isn't really important in the scheme of things--whether you get mine or Matt's version working, it's irrelevant. It's just a springboard to getting Snow Leopard installed. So from here on out, you don't have to switch back and forth between the two--the only real difference in mine and Matt's guide is that I'm using some updated kexts and bootloaders.

Alright I finished the installation and now I no longer the error for the AppleHDA but it does still stop and it stops at the line:

"DSMOS has arrived

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPLugin::Start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Intel82566M: Ethernet address 00:1d:09:8e:5e:14

ring desc success: size->4096, virtual:44a4a000, phy:11520000.

ring desc success: size->4096, virtual:44a4aooo, phy:11521000.

configure tx tdlen->4096.

configure rx rdlen->4096.

enable success

Intel82566MM Info: Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX"

Then it just stalls I guess, nothing is happening. So any ideas?

Hi,

I thought the ATI2600XT graphics card wasn't 100% compatible with Snow Leopard?

Has this now changed and there is a "fix" to get it working with QE, etc?

I don't think it has--which is why I'm trying to see what happens if he removes it. My guess is that he should boot just fine, in which case he just needs to read up on the proper kexts to get it as functional as possible.

Nope sry, it didn't work. had two issues. The reason I took so long was because my computer was failing to even turn on, that was one of my problems. when i fianlly fixed this issue and tried to boot mac without my video card, the same kernel panic came.

Is there another version of Mac that I can use (like Snow OS X v3.5) to help install mac?

ok I steered completely away from the retail Snow Leopard DVD install and decided to try the Snow Leopard by Hazard. And for the first time, I am running Snow Leopard. But my audio is not working and my network is not working and I`m not completely sure about what to do. However, my video is working fully so thats good. but sound and network are still messed up. So any help would be appreciated!

ok I steered completely away from the retail Snow Leopard DVD install and decided to try the Snow Leopard by Hazard. And for the first time, I am running Snow Leopard. But my audio is not working and my network is not working and I`m not completely sure about what to do. However, my video is working fully so thats good. but sound and network are still messed up. So any help would be appreciated!

Sai--have you installed the kexts in the "a chance for snow" folder? The Voodoo kext should fix sound, and the Intel82001MM (i think that's what it's called) should fix internet.

I did delete them all and then tried Kext utility and it doesn`t work. not exactly sure why.

That is strange. You may want to try the kext that amzor posted before. You can find them in the original Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530 thread, in this forum.

I just wanted to say a big "Thanks!" for this guide. I followed this guide last night and successfully installed the retail version of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my Dell Inspiron 530. The only other things I had to fix/install were my nVidia 9800GT graphics which I did using EFI Studio, and my sound after updating to 10.6.4. For my sound I used the kext found at http://www.kexts.com/view/408-alc888_hd_audio_10.6.4.html.

Thanks again! I now have a great working Snow Leopard machine :-)

I just wanted to say a big "Thanks!" for this guide. I followed this guide last night and successfully installed the retail version of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my Dell Inspiron 530. The only other things I had to fix/install were my nVidia 9800GT graphics which I did using EFI Studio, and my sound after updating to 10.6.4. For my sound I used the kext found at http://www.kexts.com/view/408-alc888_hd_audio_10.6.4.html.

Thanks again! I now have a great working Snow Leopard machine :-)

That's awesome! I'm thrilled you found it useful. Anything to spare you from the weekend of hell I underwent with mine. Blech!

Im wondering one thing i have a dell vostro 200 which in all practicality has the same motherboard as the inspiron 530( its a foxxcon g33 based board) and i was trying to get snow leopard working BUT the problem i have is that i want my windows 7 to say i cant format my main disk into GUID as theres no way for me to back up all 500 gbs of data change the disk to guid from MBR.

Each time i tried i had a partion in my drive of 20 gb for snow leaopard that i try to install it to and run from. Also i use BCD to dual boot ie computer turns on it give me the dual boot menu of which os i want to boot win 7 or SL ( thats how i named it in easyBCD) and then it loads the chamelon boot loader and i can try to load snow leopard from there)

Anyway i tried a few different distros iatkos also i recently tried the hazard distro but they all error out currently the error that im stuck at is

****.ati2000.**** ( stars represent the stuff that i dont remember but from what i understand the keypoint is that it hands at this and then gives that panic msg and end showing computer uptime =******* nanoseconds

also i should mention i have a galaxy 4670 512mb video card

I tried using the -v -x option at boot to boot it into safe mode but thats also a fail as it also gets to a certain point and just hangs it wont go past it i left my computer on for 20 minutes but it wouldnt go past it. It would stick at the point of connecting to a network at 100MBPS or something like that ill check later again for the exact words but hopefully it wil give someone an idea on whats wrong and what can i do.

Im wondering one thing i have a dell vostro 200 which in all practicality has the same motherboard as the inspiron 530( its a foxxcon g33 based board) and i was trying to get snow leopard working BUT the problem i have is that i want my windows 7 to say i cant format my main disk into GUID as theres no way for me to back up all 500 gbs of data change the disk to guid from MBR.

Each time i tried i had a partion in my drive of 20 gb for snow leaopard that i try to install it to and run from. Also i use BCD to dual boot ie computer turns on it give me the dual boot menu of which os i want to boot win 7 or SL ( thats how i named it in easyBCD) and then it loads the chamelon boot loader and i can try to load snow leopard from there)

Anyway i tried a few different distros iatkos also i recently tried the hazard distro but they all error out currently the error that im stuck at is

****.ati2000.**** ( stars represent the stuff that i dont remember but from what i understand the keypoint is that it hands at this and then gives that panic msg and end showing computer uptime =******* nanoseconds

also i should mention i have a galaxy 4670 512mb video card

I tried using the -v -x option at boot to boot it into safe mode but thats also a fail as it also gets to a certain point and just hangs it wont go past it i left my computer on for 20 minutes but it wouldnt go past it. It would stick at the point of connecting to a network at 100MBPS or something like that ill check later again for the exact words but hopefully it wil give someone an idea on whats wrong and what can i do.

From your text the problem appears to be your video card. Take it out and see if you still get the error.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this new SleepEnabler.kext on their 530?

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/Extensio...nabler.kext.zip

"Will enable sleep functionality while AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is disabled on many systems. NOTE: This is an updated version which was released in June of 2010. It has been tested under OS X 10.6.0-10.6.4 and causes no kernel panics in any of these versions of OS X."

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent guide. I have used the earlier guides, but they were a bit time consuming. I already had 10.6.0 loaded and was looking for a safe method of upgrading. So I decided to just load 10.6.3 on another drive. Here's what I did:

1. Format another internal SATA drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - 1 Partition GUID

2. Start install with OSInstall.mpkg (copied settings and files from 10.6.2 through setup prog)

3. Copy dsdt.aml to root of new drive

4. Copy kexts to Extensions

5. Drag Extensions folder to Kext Utility

6. Install Chameleon to new drive

7. Reboot - hit f2, set new drive as default boot

8. Set up nVidia GeForce 8600 GT with OSX86Tools under Add EFI Strings

9. Edit com.apple.Boot.plist to insert new graphics string...saved to /Extra (Chameleon put folder there)

10. Upgrade to 10.6.4 - Reboot

11. Boot into other drive (10.6.0) - Reaccomplish kext replacement/Kext Utility

12. Set sound with second d/l option in the main instructions.

My wife has a similar system so I upgraded hers too. With matize install, we had trouble at boot due to dsdt. I don't know how to fix that, so this method worked a treat. Awesome, thank you.

After 20+ times of trial-and-error, now I've got a satisfactorily working Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on my Dell Vostro 400 (business version of Inspiron 530) with Windows 7 dual boot and all four SATA ports working. As I've learned a lot of useful information from the several related threads, I'd like to say thank you to everyone, and write down my experience which might be helpful to people who are thinking about taking the challenge.

PC specs:

Vostro 400 (business version of Inspiron 530)

Intel E8200

4GB RAM

500GB hard disk on SATA0, 500GB on SATA1, 2TB on SATA4, DVD R/W on SATA5

Dell factory-fitted wireless card (PCI-E)

On-board audio & ethernet

nVidia 7600GS (DVI&VGA)

Current result:

Snow Leopard 10.6.4, everything works except sleep.

Windows 7, dual boot supported by the latest Chameleon 2 RC4

Preparation:

iAtkos v7 iso or dmg

Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.0 (10A432) iso/dmg. Later version should work too.

A flash drive of at least 4GB

"A chance of snow" package: http://www.kexts.com/view/400-a_chance_of_snow_at_5:30.html downloaded to your Mac

Installation:

0. Update BIOS to latest version. In my case, it's 1.0.15. Then make sure the "IDE" mode is selected (found at Integrated Peripherals>Drive Controller>SATA Mode).

1. Follow the steps (copied from spectheintro's guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221162. Many thanks to spectheintro):

"If you’ve got a 4GB flash disk, pop it in, open Applications – Utilities – Disk Utility, highlight the flash drive, click “Partition”, choose “1 Partition”, click “Options”, make sure GUID is selected, click ok, and partition the drive. (It doesn’t matter what you name it—for the purposes of the guide, I’ll assume it’s “Untitled.”) Once partitioned, keep disk utility open, and drag the ISO/DMG of iAtkos to the left hand bottom window of disk utility. It should now show up in that window. Double-click to mount it. Once it’s mounted, go back to your USB drive in disk utility and click on “Untitled.” Click on the “Restore” tab on the far right, and drag the iAtkos image to source and the “Untitled” to destination. Click “Erase” underneath the source/dest prompts, and then go do something for the next 30-40 minutes. Once this has completed, open up the “A chance for snow” archive, go to “Bootloader,” and click on the chameleon installer package. Once it pops up, select your newly formatted iAtkos drive, and install Chameleon on it. Don’t worry if it fails at running post-script; that’s not important.

Ok, now take your flash disk, pop it in the Dell, turn the machine on, and hit F12 to bring up the boot menu. Select whatever drive you’ve got iAtkos on. Chameleon will boot: navigate to iAtkos using the arrow keys and push enter to start the installer. Once in the Installer, go to the top of the screen and choose “Utilities –Disk Utility.” Now you need to choose the OS X destination drive.

2. I use the 500GB hard disk on SATA0 to hold both Snow Leopard and Windows 7, so I partitioned the disk as following:

Partition 1: 350GB for Snow Leopard (Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled))

Partition 2: 95GB for Windows 7 (Format: Windows FAT) IMPORTANT: If you want Windows 7 dual boot, pay attention to choose the right format here.

Partition 3: 19GB for Leopard for installation purpose (Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)). Minimum is 16GB for our purpose.

Then choose to use GUID partition scheme.

3. Quit the iAtkos installer, and reboot with Windows 7 Installer DVD. Choose to format the Windows partition, and install Windows 7. Important: the Windows 7 installation may restart the PC a couple times. DO NOT interfere. DO NOT use Chameleon to boot the PC. Just let Windows 7 boot from the hard disk by default and do everything itself. The install took 13 mins on my PC from start to finish.

4. Reboot PC, hit F12 and boot with the flash drive. Install iAtkos to the small Leopard partition with the following customization:

Remove any bootloader

Add: OHR, Intel SATA (not AHCI), Intel Gigabit (Intel82566MM for network), AppleHDA for audio, and NTFS 3G.

I also added nVidia EFI string (dvi/vga) for my 7600GS graphics card. But this isn't important.

5. Reboot with the flash drive (Chameleon), but this time choose the newly installed Leopard when prompted. Once Leopard has booted, run through the initial setup process. Then mount the image of Snow Leopard (it can be on any of the internal drives, or an external drive). Once mounted, press "Apple-Shift-G" and enter "/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" in the prompt. Find “OSInstall.MPKG” and double-click it.

This launches the Snow Leopard installer. Select “Snow leopard” partition as destination, and hit customize. This time, remove *everything* but essential system software. Then let it continue with the install. Do not restart yet.

First, open up the “chance for snow” folder, and install Chameleon onto new Snow Leopard drive. Then go back into the “chance for snow” folder and click on “Show All Files.” Tell it to SHOW, Finder will restart.

Now open up “chance for snow” again. Drag “DSDT.aml” from this folder to the root of the Snow Leopard drive. Next, drag the contents of the “kexts” folder to /Snow Leopard/System/Library/Extensions. Once you’ve done this, drag that entire folder onto Kext Utility, back in the “chance for snow” folder. Drag Kext Utility to Snow Leopard/Applications, since we’ll be using it again soon.

6. Now reboot. If lucky, Chameleon may fire up. If it doesn't (as in my case, I just got a black screen and a blinking cursor), then use the flash drive to boot into Leopard, download Chameleon from the official site, and follow the MANUAL INSTALL instrument in the package. After this, Chameleon should work and it can boot into Snow Leopard. Windows 7 may be corrupted at this point, and we will fix it later.

7. Once Snow Leopard is working, go to System Preferences (on the dock): Spotlight: Privacy, and add your Snow Leopard drive to disable Spotlight. Then drag the Extensions folder to Kext Util again, and then reboot into Snow Leopard. Everything should be working, except graphics and sound.

8. Fix your specific graphics card following osx86 wiki/forum. (In my case, I used "EFI Studio" to install EFI for 7600GS graphics card. ) Reboot and check graphics working.

9. Run Software Update, first let it update everything but the core, then update the core. Upon reboot it should hang (if boot with -v then it's waiting for root device). Boot into Leopard, install the following kexts to Extensions:

http://www.kexts.com/view/320-alc888_hd_audio.html (for sound)

http://www.kexts.com/view/319-ioatafamily.kext.html (for SATA)

Then delete the Voodoo kext.

Then drap Extensions onto Kext Util.

10. If you use nVidia 7xxx graphics card, there is a bug in Snow Leopard versions later than 10.6.2 where it will kernel panic just before it shows the desktop unless it's running on 32-bit mode. So I had to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file at Library -> Preferences -> SystemConfiguration. Add arch=i386 to the Kernel Flags setting, so that it looks like this after the change:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

11. Reboot, Snow Leopard should be 10.6.4, and everything should be working (except sleep). You may follow this guide to get write access to any NTFS drives http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186460

12. Now it's time to have a look at Windows 7. If it fails to boot from Chameleon due to missing important boot data, then use the Windows 7 DVD to boot. Choose to repair the PC, click next a few times and then select Command Prompt and do the following to make the Windows 7 partition active:

diskpart

list disk

select disk X -- choose the Windows 7 disk

list partition

select partition Y -- choose the Windows 7 partition

active

Reboot, still use the Windows 7 DVD to boot, and this time it should be able to repair the PC. Let it do the repair. Then Windows 7 should be working fine, but Chameleon isn't being used. Use the diskpart utility again to make the Windows 7 partition INACTIVE and the Snow Leopard partition ACTIVE.

13. Everything should be working fine now. Snow Leopard may not be able to update iTunes. If that's the case, download the latest iTunes from Apple website and install it.

Again, my big thank you to the authors of these posts (and many others):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1487928

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221162

http://www.mattisz.com/hacks/snow-leopard-inspiron-530