Family issue...

9 posts in this topic

The modern family is changing. In fact, if recent trends continue, a quarter of parents will have split up by the time their children are 16 years old.

What do you think about this issue? Are there any solutions?

The "one partner for life" idea is a forced social construct that is absolutely not natural for humans. I think it would be much more healthy if it was widely accepted that at some point in a marriage, you more on to another stage in your life involving another partner. Big change can be good, and there are few changes bigger than changing who you are in a long-term relationship with. However, we're in a bit of a transition period that I think is harmful. People still see a life-long marriage as an attainable thing for everyone and consistently try to force themselves into that, but they also see more archaic social constructs being questioned, and so when trouble hits in a marriage, they are quicker to end it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, mankind has shown itself capable of attaining life-long relationships for thousands of years.

Divorce isn't something that just happens. You let it happen. Adults don't get divorced. Children do.

I'm going to go with Descalzo here. Most people in this new generation don't know what commitment even means. Marriage is a lot of work. It isn't 'natural' as iGuess suggests. The one-partner for life looks impossible only when you don't truly understand what marriage is. Hell, if things were always natural, we wouldn't have marriages in the first place.

Just remember folks, anything is possible. One happy marriage is possible and so is lifelong affairs.

The "one partner for life" idea is a forced social construct that is absolutely not natural for humans.

That's {censored}. There are other animals in nature that mate for life, what "forced social construct" exists in geese, monkeys, or termites?

There is this fairy book fantasy that everyone believes, that you will

find the perfect mate and be happy for ever, that there is someone

for every one, and that everything will work out.

In real life, it just not that way, and the closest you can get to that

fairy book fantasy, requires real effort, and no one today is willing to

put any work into it.

I do not believe humans were meant to mate for life, instead I see it as

a choice, a choice that very few make, and its only possible because we

has humans have the ability to over ride our natural instincts.

That's {censored}. There are other animals in nature that mate for life, what "forced social construct" exists in geese, monkeys, or termites?

Actually genetic testing has proved that supposedly "monogamous" creatures like swans and storks will in fact "cheat" on "spouses". I'm not sure why you think monkeys are monogamous. Termites are insects, I don't think monogamous applies to them.

Divorce isn't a wonderful thing, but neither is being forced to stay in a relationship with an abusive spouse who sleeps around. The old system where people were forced to stay in bad marriages, wasn't doing society any favors.

Personally, I think having children should be a privilege not a right. There's far too many people who shouldn't be permitted a hamster, never mind being put in charge of a child. Unfortunately, there's really no way to justly implement anything along those lines.

Geese? Male geese tend to be homosexual:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199707/{censored}-geese

Monkeys? Have you ever heard of Bonobo? They are the exact opposite of "monogamous"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo#Sexual_social_behavior

I don't know about termites, but they are too far away from humans. As Generic George said, they are insects.

• 1 month later...