Mac OS X 10.4.6 JaS - HFS+ partition error - Please HELP

Sonnyz

21 posts in this topic

I had this error on mine and resolved it by making the HFS partition a primary partition. When I made the partition oroginally, it was listed as extended, and while the install went fine, first boot it popped the error...hope this helps.

If you don't have Partition Magic, although many people do, you can use the built in Windows Disk Partitioner to set your drive as active. The following excerpt shows how to do this from the command prompt.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Justin>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565

Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: FSD-LAPTOP

DISKPART> [b]list disk[/b]

Disk ###  Status	  Size	 Free	 Dyn  Gpt
 --------	 ----------  -------  -------  ---  ---
 Disk 0	  Online	  75 GB  0 B

DISKPART> [b]select disk 0[/b]

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> [b]list partition[/b]

Partition ###  Type			  Size	 Offset
 -------------	----------------  -------   -------
 Partition 1	   Primary		 75 GB   32 KB

DISKPART> [b]select partition 1[/b]

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> [b]active[/b]

DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

DISKPART>

And as for the problem with it booting, if your partition is set as extended, as NKapinos said his was, it will not start. It needs to be a primary partition, which means if it is set as an extended partition, you will be made to erase that partition, reconfigure it, and start over.

Please post back telling us if your partition is set as extended or primary.

I have these partitions: Windows XP(45 GB) - Primary, Download(45 GB) - Extented and Mac OS X - Extented. I try delete Mac OS X partition and format it to primary using ForsakenShadow method. THX I'll try it and write answer.

I have big problem! When I boot to Mac OS X Install DVD I try to format Mac OS X partition. I tried format in Mac OS X 10.4.6 and I get error: " Could not read partition map". And I tried to format in Mac OS X 10.4.1 and I get error: "Unkown error - 1073745736". Please help :(:blink:

Hi... I have a small problem in here:

I wanted to install, Windows, Mac OS X and SUSE Linux, on my PC.

I used this tutorial to install the first 2 SO's: Tutorial

The only diference is that I didn't install the Boot Loader, I was waiting for the SUSE to install Grub or Lilo.

I used a startup disk with spfdisk, like mentioned on the tutorial, to change the active partition, between Windows and Mac OS X. And I managed to enter in both of the SO's and everything was right.

The problem is when I installed SUSE, I installed Grub for the Boot Loader. I added Mac OS X's partition to the menu, but when I try Booting into this SO it gives me the message:

HFS+ Partition Error... strange:s

I've tryied everything and still ain't got a clue...

Any Help or Advice is Welcome:D

Thanks in Advance :angel:

I have big problem! When I boot to Mac OS X Install DVD I try to format Mac OS X partition. I tried format in Mac OS X 10.4.6 and I get error: " Could not read partition map". And I tried to format in Mac OS X 10.4.1 and I get error: "Unkown error - 1073745736". Please help ;):(

Please help!!

Why don't you go to a computer that has Windows, put a disk on floppy drive, use 'My Computer' to format it as a MS-DOS Boot disk and also put spfdisk on it(to install SPFDisk, open the exe file, and copy the files it extracts to the floppy). You can Download spfdisk Here. Then Boot on your computer from the floppy disk and you can format your partitions from there. The code of the partition from the mac is 'af' (without the quotes). Just another thing, when you're installing Mac OS X and you get to the part that you have to choose a place to install the SO, if it doesn't appear any partition, go to Disk Utility and Erase that partition..

I guess it is all, if you need anything just shout;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not trying to dual boot and you're getting the HFS+ partition error message, than I have an easy fix. Get to a terminal and type "sudo fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0" To get the the terminal you can either boot with an OSX86 install disc (like Jas or goatsecx) and wait for it to timeout (boot your install) or enter single user mode. Once you've executed the command it will ask you to confirm the operation. Answer yes and you should have no trouble next time you boot.

has anyone tried jacob019's idea, cause i tried booting up into the terminal from the install disk and tried this command but it just gives me some kind of error. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, that's be awesome. I don't have an xp partition, i just made a full af primary partition on my hard disk with spfdisk and still nothing. someone's gotta know what to do

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WHOA! Be careful of this! I tried it and now neither Mac nor Windows will boot!

If you don't have Partition Magic, although many people do, you can use the built in Windows Disk Partitioner to set your drive as active. The following excerpt shows how to do this from the command prompt.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Justin>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565

Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: FSD-LAPTOP

DISKPART> [b]list disk[/b]

Disk ###  Status	  Size	 Free	 Dyn  Gpt
 --------	 ----------  -------  -------  ---  ---
 Disk 0	  Online	  75 GB  0 B

DISKPART> [b]select disk 0[/b]

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> [b]list partition[/b]

Partition ###  Type			  Size	 Offset
 -------------	----------------  -------   -------
 Partition 1	   Primary		 75 GB   32 KB

DISKPART> [b]select partition 1[/b]

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> [b]active[/b]

DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

DISKPART>

And as for the problem with it booting, if your partition is set as extended, as NKapinos said his was, it will not start. It needs to be a primary partition, which means if it is set as an extended partition, you will be made to erase that partition, reconfigure it, and start over.

Please post back telling us if your partition is set as extended or primary.

This merely makes the selected partition active.

Which partition did you make active, which did you select?

I made the MacOS partition active. I still had the HFS+ error, plus now Windows wouldn't boot to change things back.

I had to reformat the whole thing and start from scratch--and now I'm back to the HFS+ error when I select Acronis loader.

Reformat what?

My entire hard drive with all partitions.

Did you try to make the windows partition active again to boot it?

Within the acronis loader, when selecting the osx icon and choosing properties, you can try to tell it to make the osx partition active.

I couldn't get back to the loader.

An alternative was to get the diskpart utility on a bootable disk (eg floppy) and remake the windows partition active.

But if you meant the acronis os selector, you can 'repair' it with the "acronis bootable media" that you can create from acronis disk director. You boot with it and you 'reactivate' aoss.

I stronlgy recommend you create this "acronis bootable media" if you still use acronis products (or even if you don't!); this bootable cd can contain disk director, os selector reactivator/reinstaller, and also true image if you have it installed, very usefull.

At least you would have recovered the windows system.

It's always good to have such tools handy when you can't boot your system. You could also use live linux cds.

Only reformat when it's the true last option; most of the time there's an alternative. But we always learn the hard way, don't we! ;)

• 1 year later...
I had this error on mine and resolved it by making the HFS partition a primary partition. When I made the partition oroginally, it was listed as extended, and while the install went fine, first boot it popped the error...hope this helps.

Something I found on a Chinese website makes it possible to boot even from extended partitions. works fine. It's called tboot, a modified chain0 .

http://benyouhui.it168.com/thread-566824-1-3.html

Use google to translate it like I did. Most still doesn't make a lot of sence, but it makes life a little bit easier.

EDIT: I put the google translation link here, but that didn't work, don't ask me why.