Lenovo U350

djcmix

51 posts in this topic

Can you please detail the process?

If you have the retail Snow Leopard DVD then you should follow this guide. Basically boot using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (Supported), swap the discs, run through the installer and then use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install various Kexts, suitable for your hardware.

Do you have it dual boot?

Yes. Make 2 blank partitions and then simply install Windows Vista, 7, etc. (MBR) on one of them. Then install Mac OS X and Chameleon (or any variation of it) as a bootloader.

One thing important to do is to remove/delete the Lenovo factory partition (OneKey/restauration). Unfortunately you can not keep it before installation but I am looking into a way of recreating (creating a new partition with ID 12, restore all data on it--that I've saved)

for my part with iaktas dvd without modifying anything (language is french) i don't have ps2, keyboard, mouse but i have sound

There are two workarounds:

- add the VoodooPS2 during installation

- use a USB keyboard/mouse after the installation to install the Kext.

Also note that your system may not pass the initial registration/user creation screens. You can skip it easily after you create the username/password using Alt+Q (equivalent of Command+Q on a Mac).

Some progress (or not) on the WiFi: I have tried copying the wireless Kext from my iMac but no avail. :P

Thank you very much

this is ok with voodoops2 during installation but i should have to boot 2 times before, else i don have any ethernet do you have a kext for it?

and during boot somtimes i need to boot with -v to complete it, sometimes the boot block, i don't konw why

strange? isn't?

thank you very much

i try for sound to use your voodooHda.kext by using "kext helper b7" and no it doesn't reboot.

i delete this kext and now i don't have any sound, perhaps i do something wrong, i don't know (perhaps "kext helper b7" is not compatible with x64 kernel? i don't know) in fact i can use your voodoohad, if before i delete applehda.kext and applehda1062.kext but i don't have microphone

else i don't have ethernet please

thanks

i don have any ethernet do you have a kext for it?

Attached below.

and during boot somtimes i need to boot with -v to complete it, sometimes the boot block, i don't konw why

strange? isn't?

Happens to me sometimes too.

using "kext helper b7" and no it doesn't reboot

Use Kext Helper b7 to install the Kexts as you would normally and ignore the fact that you have to Force Quit it and just reboot. It works for me...

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

thanks

i feel good to learn that you have the same problem as me with the boot.

I try your kext for ethernet, and it is not ok with mine, nothing detected, strange, i don't know why,ì will try to find,

i should do something wrong,

! will try to re-install, perhaps an option during installation?

i don't know

will try to re-install to see if i see some differents

i have sound and microphone, no ethernet, no video, i m afraid to test an other kext, when i try i finish with a full re-installation

i belive that every time i use "Kext Utility" i need to reinstall my configuration; perhaps .. becarfefull with it

Thank you very much

Attached below.

Happens to me sometimes too.

Use Kext Helper b7 to install the Kexts as you would normally and ignore the fact that you have to Force Quit it and just reboot. It works for me...

in fact every time i try to install your kext i have a scratch and need to re-install oxs86

i use kext helper b7,

i don't understand

Finally i use iportable

i install yours voodhda for my sound and it is ok thank you very much

after install it i couldn't reboot so, i use the DVD Iaktos to boot and , i use the utilities to install PC EFI on my partion 2 disk 0 (partion where i install iportable) disk0s2, i don't install Iaktos, i just use DVD for the utilities

then i reboot on my iportable partition, and sound and micro is fine.

For ethernet i have to type in terminal "sudo ifconfig en 0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:xx because my MAC adress is null so i don't have correct IP.

Else my Wifi is good fine with D-Link DWA-110, this is an external USB wifi.

I have sometime problem with boot, 2 or 3 times with -v option and it is good

I update osx to 10.6.4 with my internet connections,

all seems to be fine except video (X3100 kext), ...

i have reinstalled it and it is fine

the integrated webcam is ok with Photo Booth (quality is no very good but it is a starting point)

I feel completely frustrated...

With the iPortable I get the blinking prompt in the left top corner and nothing happens!

I got really happy to learn that some of you succeeded with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]!

I tried and the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] part works pretty well. However, when I try to install from the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (original) I get EBIOS READ ERROR DEVICE TIMEOUT.

I tried to follow what others recommended with this error - like cleaning the lenses of the DVD reader (I have an LG GSA-E10N) but I could not overcome this issue...

Any ideas why I am having so much trouble and how can I circumvent these issues?

Thanks

Robin

The saga continues. The success is not yet there.

After some struggle I managed to collect all the files of iATKOS (it seems almost impossible to get these files without registering in some file server) and burn the image in a DVD,

When I tried to use the iATKOS instead of the SNOW Leopard DVD I got exactly the same issue: EBIOS READ ERROR DEVICE TIMEOUT

I am stuck

Ideas are welcome

Robin

The saga continues. The success is not yet there.

After some struggle I managed to collect all the files of iATKOS (it seems almost impossible to get these files without registering in some file server) and burn the image in a DVD,

When I tried to use the iATKOS instead of the SNOW Leopard DVD I got exactly the same issue: EBIOS READ ERROR DEVICE TIMEOUT

I am stuck

Ideas are welcome

Robin

Perhaps something to try is to install 3 partitions

one with data (mac partition HFS + because with fat32 you cant use more than 4Gb and iportable.dmg is superior)

one for windows (XP or otger)

one for mac system

try to use a DVD of Ideneb 1.6 lite (this is leopard 10.5.5) and to install cameleon

after the installation of leopard you can then copy the iportable.dmg on the data partition (it is always usefull)

then you can with dvd of ideneb delete the mac partition with disk utility (cameleon is always fine: to be verified)

Then you boot from your hard disk with your iporatble stick in place, and then you choose with cameleon your stick (iportable) with -v option.

Sometimes i need to try 2 or 3 times to be able to boot.

Then when your are ok, with iportable, you mount you iportable dmg wich is in data partition and you install.

Perhaps something to try is to install 3 partitions

one with data (mac partition HFS + because with fat32 you cant use more than 4Gb and iportable.dmg is superior)

one for windows (XP or otger)

one for mac system

try to use a DVD of Ideneb 1.6 lite (this is leopard 10.5.5) and to install cameleon

after the installation of leopard you can then copy the iportable.dmg on the data partition (it is always usefull)

then you can with dvd of ideneb delete the mac partition with disk utility (cameleon is always fine: to be verified)

Then you boot from your hard disk with your iporatble stick in place, and then you choose with cameleon your stick (iportable) with -v option.

Sometimes i need to try 2 or 3 times to be able to boot.

Then when your are ok, with iportable, you mount you iportable dmg wich is in data partition and you install.

Toto

Thanks for your ideas

Over the last hours I had a similar idea... just slightly different that what you proposed:

First I started with an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD which gave the prompt to choose different volumes. The I plugged the iPortable USB Stick I have created the other day... it did not recognized it.

In the second attempt, I forced the boot sequence to start in the DVD/CD USB, then USB Stick. With this I managed to start with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and then to get a list that included the iPORTABLE image. Then when I started from it I got immediately EBIOS READ ERROR DEVICE TIMEOUT.

Then I used the -v option at start up time from the iPortable and I could see some more messages (like mounting images) before I got again the EBIOS READ ERROR... and the installation failed again.

It looks to me that I need some switches to be forced...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Robin

Perhaps, i think there is a error with iportable "image", i use the iportable stick to boot, and the iportable image (.dmg) to install; the file .dmg of iportable is in my doc partition, i don't boot on it.

perhaps ...

I have the same issues with iATKOS and also with the SNOW Leopard original DVD...

Now my suspicion is that the DEVICE ERRORS are not from the images but from the hard drive... I have it partitioned in 4 and I am using the Windows boot partition to toggle between installations (I had Vista and Windows 7)... It is possible that at the start up time from one of the images it tries to access the hard disk and observes errors as it is all partitioned by Windows 7.

I guess that the first step should be to clean up the whole disk and try again.

Unfortunately, with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] I do not have any option to format the disk... and I do not reach the point in the OSX installation that allows me to format the drive.

So, I will need to find a boot disk (DOS, Ubuntu, or similar) to clean up my disk first... As when I boot from Windows it refuses to let it format.

:)

That will be my next step.

Keep you posted.

Robin

Did not work...

Now I have a completely empty Lenovo U350 and neither iPortable, iATKOS nor the original Snow Leopard 10.6.3 work...

In all cases I get EBIOS READ ERROR DEVICE TIMEOUT errors...

Not sure what I can do next

Robin

Hi guys

It is me again...

I think I am now a bit further. Finally, iATKOS installed... However, like in a post above, when I boot from the installation I do not have keyboard nor mouse...

I presume I need to install some kext. However, when I boot from the iATKOS DVD I have both keyboard and mouse... strange...

What are the kext I need for the keyboard and mouse?

Following one of the leads above, I understood that Toto used the iATKOS to boot and have access to the utilities and then used iPortable to build a partition from which we can boot...

Can you please provide a bit more details?

Thanks

Robin

Perhaps, i think there is a error with iportable "image", i use the iportable stick to boot, and the iportable image (.dmg) to install; the file .dmg of iportable is in my doc partition, i don't boot on it.

perhaps ...

Toto

Can you please provide me a reference from where should I get the iPortable image?

I have created the stick using the process documented in the pdf file... unfortunately, it requires a MAC... which I do not have. I got a colleague in the office to come over with his Mac... but, that was a kind of luck. Is there a process to create the iPortable stick in another OS - for example, UBUNTU or Windows?

Thanks

Robin

Toto

Can you please provide me a reference from where should I get the iPortable image?

I have created the stick using the process documented in the pdf file... unfortunately, it requires a MAC... which I do not have. I got a colleague in the office to come over with his Mac... but, that was a kind of luck. Is there a process to create the iPortable stick in another OS - for example, UBUNTU or Windows?

Thanks

Robin

hello

i had my iportable image with demonoid the name is "Portable Snow OSx86 10.6.2 Bootable USB image [intel SSE2/SSE3]"

by protocolXT

"http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2122725/003694975025/"

hope it will help you

for the moment i don't have access to internet as i hope.

I don't know if it's possible to create the iPortable stick in another OS :-(

good luck

hello

i had my iportable image with demonoid the name is "Portable Snow OSx86 10.6.2 Bootable USB image [intel SSE2/SSE3]"

by protocolXT

"http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2122725/003694975025/"

hope it will help you

for the moment i don't have access to internet as i hope.

I don't know if it's possible to create the iPortable stick in another OS :-(

good luck

Thanks Toto

Unfortunately demonoid is not reachable from where I am located and I do not have access to a proxy.

I tried through out the whole weekend to install iATKOS, but no success. Just system panic or hangs.

I also tried to make it dual bootable (W7 and OSX) using Chameleon without success.

I am about to abandon this project and will install windows and ubuntu.

Good luck to the rest of the gang...

Robin

Succeeded!!!

Used iATKOS s3 Version 2 and chosen the Apple PS/2 driver.

The system seems to be stable. I rebooted 3 times without any issues.

I still do not have sound... but this will be just the case of installing the kext above.

I have not tried several things, like access to the NW... but this was just the first step.

I will be doing some extensions and new tests over the next weeks.

Another thing that does not work is the dual boot. I tried to install W7 after having installed chameleon, but it does not boot... I will have to investigate a bit in this area.

Hopefully, the next time I install OSX (if needed) I will manage to make it stable again :)

I will keep the forum posted.

Robin

Hi again...

Just to give a quick status of the recent steps.

Last weekend I managed to get a stable environment. In about 9 out of 10 reboots I managed to get OSX working fine. However, I missed the sound and I did not have dual boot yet.

Yesterday I reinstalled the laptop from scratch with aim to build the dual boot mode. Once again I used iATKOS.

The dual boot is working fine. However, the system is not as stable as it used to be. I tried a couple of variations... but now I need to go through single user first and then exit to get to a running OSX.

Second step I tried yesterday was to install the VoodooHDA to try to get sound... I tried both the VoodooHDA in the iATKOS disk and the kext provided above. In both cases I got no sound and system panic... Neither works.

Just to confirm: there are no NW kext available at this stage, right? Neither for the wireless nor for the ethernet...

So, I will have to work overtime tonight again :(

Robin

Managed to get a operational environment... however, without sound.

I removed the VoodooHDA in the iATKOS options during installation and the system is very stable now - rebooted several times at the first attempt.

However, I cannot install the VoodooHDA using the kext helper b7...

Like reported above after the installation I need to force quite the helper. But at the startup - while it starts well - the driver is not present: it does not recognize any sound device (output nor input)...

In conclusion:

- I have an operational environment;

- No sound;

- No ethernet;

- No wireless...

Very little use...

More to come as I progress (if).

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

do you have any News?

Greetings

Unfortunately no

- No sound;

- No ethernet;

- No wireless...

And at times the environment freezes.

All attempts to install the kext for the sound card failed or generated an unstable environment

And I could not yet get the iPortable from a reliable source. I have iPortable which I got from some file servers (I am not registered in any) but it does not work, either.

What I did until now is with iATKOS

Besides that, the dual boot with Chameleon works fine.

I have a windows 7 fully operational, and also Ubuntu.

And, no more comments from any one else

The netbook is pretty nice, light and usable. However, for the purpose of Hackintosh I would consider another alternative, if it would be today

Good luck

Robin

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...