anybody running i7-980X? need dsdt and boot

rabbit74

11 posts in this topic

all the normal boot files work for me, just use netkas's latest or the one from prayss blog dsdt i dont use but just create one if you want to mod stuff

Do you really have a working 980x setup? i'd really like to know that one too.

• 1 month later...

I just sold my old processor (920) and purchased this 980X.

After installation of Processor I suddenly came to know that i have no more Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

Was perfect installation :'( on Asus Extreme Rampage II with 6GB RAM, SL was on SSD

Can some body help? please???

I just sold my old processor (920) and purchased this 980X.

After installation of Processor I suddenly came to know that i have no more Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

Was perfect installation :'( on Asus Extreme Rampage II with 6GB RAM, SL was on SSD

Can some body help? please???

You need to use the Qoopz kernel, specify the bus ratio and force -64bit in flags. You also need to have a DSDT that has the ability to use 12 threads.

I have it working with 10.6.3 doing those things.

You need to use the Qoopz kernel, specify the bus ratio and force -64bit in flags. You also need to have a DSDT that has the ability to use 12 threads.

I have it working with 10.6.3 doing those things.

img00022201005260751.jpg

Thank you for this good news,

I tried Qoopz kernel but it gave me Kernel Panic :(

which motherboard you are using?

Can you please give me your dsdt.aml file?

Once again thank you for good hopes.

Regards,

barshad

• 2 weeks later...

It's working all right! But you need a patched kernel. If you're running the 10.6.3, then try to install the patched 10.3.0 kernel; try to boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported (has a patched kernel 10.3.1), and then install this kernel (automated method). Report. It'll boot in 32-bit i think. For 64-bit, try -force64.

legacy_kernel_10.3.0.pkg.zip

It's working all right! But you need a patched kernel. If you're running the 10.6.3, then try to install the patched 10.3.0 kernel; try to boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported (has a patched kernel 10.3.1), and then install this kernel (automated method). Report. It'll boot in 32-bit i think. For 64-bit, try -force64.

Perfect!, great!, working!, love you

Only two problems,

1. Activity monitor now showing only 1 (Actually combined) CPU usage, is there any way show seperate 6/12 CPUs in Activity Monitor ?

2. Cannot run VMWare Fusion, kernel panic once i click on start Virtual Machine.

Any idea???

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Arshad Bhatti

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I've got a 980x in my X58A-UD7 and it works awesome. It was pretty temperamental just to get the thing to run stable via BIOS settings. I had to read a bit online, do the math and come up with the right voltages/memory etc values.

I got it running since 10.6.4 around 4.12Ghz rock solid. Geekbench hit about 20K with ease. I ran 1600Mhz ram like a moron, should got 1800Mhz but its not the end of the world.

For awhile I thought it was solid till I tried to export some video and crashed during. I tweaked some of the memory settings since I was use to how easy the i7 920 was on my UD5 (4.2Ghz rock solid) 13996 Geekbench.

Gotta be very careful if you use someone else's DSDT. I had tried some others from tonymacx86 and though they booted the CPU temps sucked. Running like 45 - 55C. I found a X58A-UD7 high end met 980 DSDT on http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=706, but again this is for a UD7 and the boards aren't the same.

CPU runs at 25C as we speak (68-70 ambient), and at about 74-75 ambient temp its about 29C.

I couldn't find anything for a UD5 off hand, but there are some resources online for entry's you can make in a clean DSDT for your UD5 to support 6 cores, speedstep etc ...

http://www.kexts.com/guides-tutorials/7355...-ex58a-ud5.html

Good luck