GMA X3100 not working right after 10.6.3

11 posts in this topic

After the 10.6.3 update, iMovie won't load anymore, and the only boots up in vesa mode. I removed the new framebuffer kext because that was the only one in the GMA family of kexts that had today's date and that worked to get graphics back to normal. but still no QE/CI support. And because of this iMovie won't load.

Anyone know if the framebuffer kexts from 10.6.2 would work to fix this?

nothing? I sold the computer to someone else and im trying to fix it for him. I don't have access to it right now to test.

BTW, it's an HP DV6835nr. 1.83ghz Core2Duo, ICH8, Intel GMA X3100 Graphics. I think that's all the important info with this particular problem.

Thanks

Try running in 32bit mode.

yeah, the boot.plist is set to do 32 bit mode already. with the framebuffer kext removed I can get normal resolutions, but no QE/CI support which is needed for imovie. anyone know if the files from 10.6.2 would work?

I have installed the 10.6.2 files from the old combo update with pacifist and they load in 64 bit mode but don't give me QE/CI or allow iMovie to load.

OKay for you folks who do not have GMA X3100 working, i think i found a solution.

For most of you you have a kext named iographicsfamily located in your /Extra/Extensions folder or in your preboot.dmg, do not mess with the new one in your /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Remove the iographicsfamily kext and then reboot, QE/CI should be working now, if not you probably messed around too much.

If so reapply the 10.6.3 update and then reboot and type -v and mention the output below, it should only say "setting up Alkor Data not shown"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...