Broadcom BCM4313 and BCM57780 on Lenovo S10-3t

VampireHunter_D

56 posts in this topic

hey i got those id's you needed! i was thinking against this, since id rather have the wifi card that came with my s10-3t working, but if you wouldnt mind doing that hacked bios for me for the atheros card, ill juse use that until you or someone else figures out the wifi problem for the bcm4313 card.

anyways, the card is an Atheros AR5BXB63, its vender id is: 168C, and its device id is: 001C.

what would i have to do in order to use this hacked bios btw? and just for curiousities sake, if i wanted to look into this bios information myself, are there any programs or tools to allow me to do so? hopefully something thats safe lol. of course im not stupid enough to click the "write bios" button without knowing what im doing, but if its some program that automatically edits or does it on the fly lol. and, are there any sort of bios tools for snow leopard? thanks.

one last thing, i noticed the card on the bcm is labeled as "BCM84313HMG2L" is there any difference between this card and the bcm4313 your working on? im pretty sure there the same, but the "9" in there threw me off lol.

anyways, thanks for all your work, vampirehunter_D. if there is anything you need, like testing wise, etc. id be glad to help, since i REALLY want my wireless N card to work lol.

hey i got those id's you needed! i was thinking against this, since id rather have the wifi card that came with my s10-3t working, but if you wouldnt mind doing that hacked bios for me for the atheros card, ill juse use that until you or someone else figures out the wifi problem for the bcm4313 card.

anyways, the card is an Atheros AR5BXB63, its vender id is: 168C, and its device id is: 001C.

what would i have to do in order to use this hacked bios btw? and just for curiousities sake, if i wanted to look into this bios information myself, are there any programs or tools to allow me to do so? hopefully something thats safe lol. of course im not stupid enough to click the "write bios" button without knowing what im doing, but if its some program that automatically edits or does it on the fly lol. and, are there any sort of bios tools for snow leopard? thanks.

one last thing, i noticed the card on the bcm is labeled as "BCM84313HMG2L" is there any difference between this card and the bcm4313 your working on? im pretty sure there the same, but the "9" in there threw me off lol.

anyways, thanks for all your work, vampirehunter_D. if there is anything you need, like testing wise, etc. id be glad to help, since i REALLY want my wireless N card to work lol.

Attached is the bios. To flash you need to grab the latest S10-3t bios package from http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/au/en/dr...ategoryid=45252 and extract the file. You will now have a folder at C:\WinPhlash\WinPhlash , In that folder there is a file named 24CN20WW.WPH, please make a backup copy of this file. Extract the file I sent and overwrite the same file at C:\WinPhlash\WinPhlash\24CN20WW.WPH. After the old file has been replaced with the new one run C:\WinPhlash\WinPhlash\WinPhlash.exe, and hit the "Flash Bios" button and then cross your fingers.

After that if it works you should be able to use either card. For the technical details the id in the MOD_5100 of 168c 002b was replaced with 168c 001c. I take no responsibility for an bricking that could occur from the flashing of the bios.

Since I think the forum rules here do not want external links to guides to find out how to modify the bios on your own google "Phoenix Bios Editor", "MOD_5100.ROM", "WINHEX" that should probably get you on the right path.

24CN20WWAtherors168c001c.zip

Tried that bios this morning, followed your directions to the T, but still at reboot, got the error about the card. Even tried pressing F1 to resume. Still nothin. Least it didn't brick my laptop.

I meant to mention before, but forgot, and I'm notsure if it matters anyway, but the wifi card is about twice in length as the bcm4313, so it has to go in the spare slot (my store bought s10-3t doesn't have Bluetooth or 3g card or whatever.) so it won't fit in the smaller wifi module slot. I do remember however that the slot the bcm card fits in says error remove wifi card, while the othe slot just says card. ? Oh well, good try. Thanks for the trouble vampirehunter_D

hey i got curious and played around a bit with the card so i removed the bcm from the wifi slot and put the atheros card in there. it doesnt fit, but the computer still detected it. bypassed bios fine, windows 7 immediately installed drivers and it was ready to go by the time desktop loaded lol. snow leopard is a diff story. i looked for hacked drivers and i guess i must not have paid enough attention before but only a few people are able to get it to work for some reason. i am one of the many who didnt lol. even after hacked kext for the card lol. but at least i know your bios trick worked. lol unfortunately cant use it in the wifi slot as it sticks out the bottom and doesnt stay there unless i hold it. haha. back to bcm i guess. :unsure: rather have somethin that fits.

how come it only works on one side though? does the other pci slot have to be modified as well?

hey i got curious and played around a bit with the card so i removed the bcm from the wifi slot and put the atheros card in there. it doesnt fit, but the computer still detected it. bypassed bios fine, windows 7 immediately installed drivers and it was ready to go by the time desktop loaded lol. snow leopard is a diff story. i looked for hacked drivers and i guess i must not have paid enough attention before but only a few people are able to get it to work for some reason. i am one of the many who didnt lol. even after hacked kext for the card lol. but at least i know your bios trick worked. lol unfortunately cant use it in the wifi slot as it sticks out the bottom and doesnt stay there unless i hold it. haha. back to bcm i guess. :thumbsup_anim: rather have somethin that fits.

how come it only works on one side though? does the other pci slot have to be modified as well?

The whitelist is per slot. I thought you were swapping out the cards and your Atheros was a halfsize mini pcie card and not the full sized one. I could make a bios that would probably allow the device vendor ids in the other slot but it sounds like that would not help too much. I still think the issues is a DSDT issue with managing the wireless radio, but until I can get a DSDT from a N450 pinetrail / GMA 3150 machine with working wireless (Dell Mini 210, MSI Wind U130 etc.) I am stuck for now.

linnet9999,

Attached is another kext to try which is based off of the 10.6.3 Update 2 kext nobb1x posted here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903 . I adjusted the 1693 value with 1692 in the proper locations and it appears to work, it also does not need you to set the MAC Address manually. Hopefully it works for you.

I have the same 57780 card(1692) in my lenovo y550p. Tried this but didn't work. The card was recognized in SL10.6.3, but just didn't work.

What could be the solution?

Thanks for information but with netbook 0.8.4 RC1 in the target field i never see my SL USB stick

Thanks for all

i was able to install 10.6.2 in my lenovo U350 by using "iPortable_Snow_x86_Installer_[MacOSX]"

and your kext is ok for me to use my ethernet connection with internet

First off I am saying hi to all the people who are working on this as I am planning on getting an s10 either after may or after xmas. So far what have you been able to get working and is this a viable solution. Also as far as wifi goes, if anyone needs me to test something feel free to ask, i'm not that afraid of bricking things (that's what warrenty's are for :pirate2:) and i feel that you guys need some help.

also if i can find a solution to this problem, i will let you guys know. I have some friends I can talk to and see if maybe they have our solution.

For those having wireless issues, if you run this command under Terminal:

ioreg -l

and then search for the string "14e4", if you see something like the following:

+-o pci14e4,4312@0 <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001a5, registere$

| | | | {

| | | | "IOChildIndex" = 1

| | | | "compatible" = <"pci103c,1370","pci14e4,4312","pciclass,028$

Your device is not being enumerated properly and will not work without some hacking. I have the same issue on my Acer Aspire 6930 notebook because I have 2 PCI-E Mini slots, and the second contains a Broadcom Wireless card that is supported out of the box. But it can't see it. As an example, notice the difference when a device is properly enumerated:

| +-o SAT0@1F,2 <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x10000018c, registered, matche$

| | | | "name" = "pci8086,2929"

| | | | "vendor-id" = <86800000>

| | | | "acpi-pmcap-offset" = 112

| | | | "device-id" = <29290000>

| | | | "IOPCIResourced" = Yes

| | | | "compatible" = <"pci1025,15e","pci8086,2929","pciclass,010601">

Notice how the device gets an actual name? When the IONetworking stack configures a device, it needs a properly enumerated name to attach to. As an example, I have a working USB Ethernet (Apple) and notice how the System Configuration sees it:

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/EHC1@1D,7/AppleUSBEHCI/Apple USB Ethernet Adapter@fd300000/AppleUSBEthernet/IOEthernetInterface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>Ethernet</string>

I'm still tackling the issue, but this may shed some light as to why the wifi cards may not work despite your efforts. A DSDT fix is most likely required.

For those having wireless issues, if you run this command under Terminal:

ioreg -l

I'm still tackling the issue, but this may shed some light as to why the wifi cards may not work despite your efforts. A DSDT fix is most likely required.

Yes the device is not attaching and from my research a DSDT fix might be the trick but so far everything I have tried has failed. The issue really appears to be some sort of power problem. I have tried three different Broadcom cards and one Atheros (The original lenovo 4313, a DW1510 (with re-branded subsystem), DW1515, and a DW1520) with all of the DW15XX supposedly supported. The OS seems to be able to see the cards initially since IO80211Family and the proper wireless kext attempt to get loaded as seen from System Profiler/Extensions, but all the cards give messages about power issues. The Atheros gives a few messages such as "RTC Not Waking UP, HAL Status 3" and the Broadcom cards report "ACInterfaceGetPower called with NULL interface" you can see this in the system logs (search from messages from IO80211).

On all the cards I have tried taping pin 20 (even physically removed the pin on one of them because I got bored.) as well as pin 11 and 13 with no success yielding the same results. The answer probably lies in of the power state methods from the DSDT but I have no idea which one as I have tried fixes on HPET, _WAK, and TMR/TIMR with no change. There is probably some method that needs some sort of tweak but it is beyond me what it is and I am not at the point where I would want to delve in the giant ACPI manual I have seen referenced.

Chaos Storm,

Have you tried taping pin 20 on your card? Since you are using a different machine that might be what you need. What is the chipset the notebook is using?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I have a lenovo s10-3t with 10.5.8 leopard. But i can't install Snow Leopard. I tryed everything, netbookmaker, snow leo hack with kexts, usb with chameleon and dsdt.

When i'm trying to boot into sl i got Pathing kenrel mach_kernel and nothing more.

Heyyo,

I was able to hack a kext together for the wired ethernet BCM57780 which is attached. The MAC Address is set to zeros so you will want to use ifconfig en0 lladdr , or a similar script like this http://www.gizmolabs.org/~ecronin/w/Main/OSXSetMac at start up to set the MAC Address if you are using DHCP. Using Kext Helper b7 should suffice for the install. I am still looking at how to get the BCM4314 up and running so if anyone has any ideas or information please share. I will post if I can come up with anything.

SWEET! Worked instantly for me! Installed it with Kext Helper B7 and as soon as I opened network preferences I got "New Interface Discovered: Ethernet". Great work man! :D

Heyyo,

SWEET! Worked instantly for me! Installed it with Kext Helper B7 and as soon as I opened network preferences I got "New Interface Discovered: Ethernet". Great work man! :(

The_MarD,

Try the kext in post number 10, with that one you do not have to use the script to add the MAC Address.

Heyyo,

The_MarD,

Try the kext in post number 10, with that one you do not have to use the script to add the MAC Address.

Tried it, must be an older version of the IO80211family.kext, cause it causes my Atheros Wireless AR5007 to stop working.. Hmm.. maybe I'll try extracting the broadcom stuff from it and put it into my 10.6.3 version of the IO80211family.kext..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so im guessing theres nothing new on this front? unfortunately i cant afford switching to another laptop. i already paid for this one. its my own fault for jumping the gun: i had thought that the whole hackintosh scene had alot more drivers and flexibility. i should have done my research more with this laptop before i purchased it. its too bad.

i pretty much have given up on this, but i look around through these forums for updates, and google, but to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello:

I new in the world of mac, i have a Lenovo Y550P with broadcon bcm57780, i install iatkos v7 (10.5.7) and don't iatkos s3 v2 (10.6.3) because in iatkos v7 i have working audio and video (with kext and other drivers), in iatkos s3 i don't know how to do it.

My question is what option should i choose for my card?? Sorry if my english isn't good. I don't know to speak english very well, now i'm learning it, but i understand somethings that i see in this post.

• 2 months later...

Hoping VampireHunter_D or someone with driver developing skills sees this....

http://news.techworld.com/operating-system...iver-for-linux/

just came across this earlier. Unfortunately I have no knowledge or skill in anything like this, so hoping someone will find this and make it useful. Would it be possible for someone to make a working driver for OS X now with a source code for these wireless chipsets?

linnet9999,

Attached is another kext to try which is based off of the 10.6.3 Update 2 kext nobb1x posted here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903 . I adjusted the 1693 value with 1692 in the proper locations and it appears to work, it also does not need you to set the MAC Address manually. Hopefully it works for you.

thank you, it works on my bcm57780 acer aspire 4741g (10.6.4) :unsure:

• 3 months later...
linnet9999,

Hi there!!!

Thanks for the kext!

I have an Acer Aspire 5742G-7200 with a BCM57780, i tried with your kext, but, nothing happens.

To install, its just paste over the original ionetworkingfamily.kext and repair permission, or, i must to do something more????

with the first kext i get the ethernet, but... no mac address.

with this one, nothing... no ethernet at all.

if you need some file to help me find what is going wrong, please, tell me!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
linnet9999,

Does this driver works as well in 10.6.6 64-bit, by the way I'll try it later.

• 5 weeks later...

hi all, I have a original airport card coming from a mac mini (atheros) that works out of the box in all my hackintoshes, but not in my S10-3.. do you know why? is there any chance to get it to work? or alternatively to get to work the original bcm wi-fi card that came with the ideapad? ;)

thanks bye!