Broadcom BCM4313 and BCM57780 on Lenovo S10-3t

VampireHunter_D

56 posts in this topic

I am trying to get either of the adapters in a Lenovo S10-3t up and running in SL and am having a little difficulty so if anyone has any pointers I would appreciate it.

The Wireless card is a BCM4313 V: 14e4 D: 4727. I tried the 5.3 enabler script and added an extra line to include the device id and ran the script and restarted with -f, and it appears not much happened. I was wondering if there is something else extra I need to do or another place I should include the device id in the kext. I think for all intents and purposes this should work like the other bcm43xx series since in linux it all appears to use the same driver.

The ethernet is a BCM57780 V: 14e4 D: 1692. I am thinking this once again should be similar to how one would enable the 1693 BCM5787M, but all the information I found on editing the kext seemed out of date.

If anyone has any direction I would like to continue poking at this and would love to share my results.

I was able to hack a kext together for the wired ethernet BCM57780 which is attached. The MAC Address is set to zeros so you will want to use ifconfig en0 lladdr , or a similar script like this http://www.gizmolabs.org/~ecronin/w/Main/OSXSetMac at start up to set the MAC Address if you are using DHCP. Using Kext Helper b7 should suffice for the install. I am still looking at how to get the BCM4314 up and running so if anyone has any ideas or information please share. I will post if I can come up with anything.

BCM57780Ethernet.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
why 5751???

俩个� �,

Not sure about the question. From my limited research that was the kext that was patched for the 578 series which is why I used that one. If there is one that would be better to patch please let me know.

linnet9999,

As requested here is the bundle in the IONetworking family. Put into /Extra/GeneralExtensions and run UpdateExtra (assuming you used NBI). This way it does not need to be in S/L/E.

IO80211Family.kext.zip

I put this kext in /Extra/Extentions/ , fix permissions and cache with kext utility.(I don't have NBI)

I also put the AppleBCM5751.kext you patched in the IONetworkingFamily's Plugin folder.

After reboot, I tried ifconfig command, still only en0 there(my Atheros Wifi card).

I put this kext in /Extra/Extentions/ , fix permissions and cache with kext utility.(I don't have NBI)

I also put the AppleBCM5751.kext you patched in the IONetworkingFamily's Plugin folder.

After reboot, I tried ifconfig command, still only en0 there(my Atheros Wifi card).

What device are you using? And if you got wireless to work on the S10-3t what atheros card are you using? I have tried about 4 different wireless cards and the drivers would never attach. Is there any information on start up if you boot verbosely? And also if you are using the S10-3t how did you get the macbook 1.3 update to install?

What device are you using? And if you got wireless to work on the S10-3t what atheros card are you using? I have tried about 4 different wireless cards and the drivers would never attach. Is there any information on start up if you boot verbosely? And also if you are using the S10-3t how did you get the macbook 1.3 update to install?

I just updated my signature, I'm trying to get my BCM57780 working. It works nicely before the macbook update.

BTW: it is atheros ar928x.

linnet9999,

Attached is another kext to try which is based off of the 10.6.3 Update 2 kext nobb1x posted here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903 . I adjusted the 1693 value with 1692 in the proper locations and it appears to work, it also does not need you to set the MAC Address manually. Hopefully it works for you.

BCM77801692IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

linnet9999,

Attached is another kext to try which is based off of the 10.6.3 Update 2 kext nobb1x posted here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903 . I adjusted the 1693 value with 1692 in the proper locations and it appears to work, it also does not need you to set the MAC Address manually. Hopefully it works for you.

it still not work, but I checked the kernel.log, it says:

kernel[0]: AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - no acpi-device?

But I think it is better than before: :)

kernel[0]: AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

hey vampirehunter_D have you figured out a solution for the wireless yet? ive been trying to get my osx working on my s10-3t. ive looked into rebranding using ubuntu linux, but apparently it only gets to the part where i need to stop because it doesnt find my device. so i cant go any further. i also tried (forgot the guys name) modified script for bcm4xxx. i think i may not have done it right though, ive both updated airport to the latest, and ran his script sudo root in terminal, but nothing happened. his thread talked about and airport**** kext which i could not find specifically cuz i thought it was an actual file but i only came to a conclusion after googling for an hour that its somehow within a io8-something kext lol. sorry its too early for me right now haha.

anyways, would really like to get the wireless working. lol got my setup all "okie-fied" in my dining room plugged directly into my wired network. gf prolly gonna have a fit soon haha.

oh and for the conversation, i got wired working. cant remember now if it was through your fix or not. think so though. either way thanks :)

linnet9999,

Can you check using IORegistry from the Xcode what the pci slot is reporting? I am curious as to what it is reporting for the main and subsystem device and vendor id. Sounds like from the message you got it might be some sort of DSDT/ACPI issue, I am wondering if the macbook pro update you installed has a new IOPCIFamily or ACPI kext that is suddenly causing you issues. I am using an netbook and can not install the update and all of the kexts I have posted have worked on my machine. One thing you may want to try is disabling the wireless in the bios for a boot and see if the results are different.

unvaluablespace,

I have not gotten the wireless to work yet. I have even tried to put into three different wireless cards a Dell Wireless 1520, 1515, and 1510 all which should have native support and none work. I have tried taping pin 20 on all the cards and that has not helped either. I have also tried injecting device ids with chameleon and reflashed the subsystem ids of the 1510 which has not helped either. Theoretically the BCM4313 that comes stock in the S10-3t should work since all the broadcom chips use a universal driver. I am currently trying a lot of things but I am hoping the issue is somewhere with the DSDT and through some trickery I can get it recognized. I am not a DSDT whiz but from my short research it appears the Lenovo DSDT for this device is lacking. If I have any progress I will be sure to post it.

I really want to get wireless working since once I do I will look at hacking up a HID driver so you do not need two fingers on the touchscreen, but I feel without wireless looking at that is futile at the moment.

yeah....im not much of a hacker per say, but ive been looking at this forever lol. based on what ive read as well, it would seem that the bcm4313 should work, but ive done everything from running that custom bcm4xxx script, to searching for any type of threads that had bcm4313 related kexts or whatever. i even manually went inside the package contents for io802family>applebcrm (sorry, exact filename fails me atm, but u know what im talking about lol) and directly inputting the device id to no avail.

another thing i did, which now im pissed at myself, AND Lenovo over, is opened up my old broken eee pc 701 machine to get to its atherosAR5BXB63 card, which ive read was compatible in osx, so that i could temporarily replace the current bcm4313 card that came with the lenovo, only to find the bios not accepting the hardware. YAY! :) stupid Lenovo... i even tried that 20 pin tape trick and did manage to get past the error message, but once booted into osx, it still wasnt recognized even after searching for the correct driver.

i would like to point out however, that ive seen some posts on other subject matters with snapshots of the system profiler, and have noticed that (on my system, anyway at least) the section under "PCI" lists absolutely nothing, not even device id's. now, im still learning about hacking osx (typing on it now as a matter of fact) everything that works, works great on here, but i guess i need som sort of custom dsdtl (i think) file compatible with my s10-3t. probably other s10-3t specific stuff i need installed as well. i just assumed im doing it right so far because everything that does work, works good lol.

with your kext for wired ethernet though (thanks for that, btw lol) it does succesfully show the ethernet device info, but under pci all i get is "this computer does not appear to have any pci cards installed." my guess is something is keeping osx from seeing the pci devices?

unvaluablespace,

The PCI Card listing in the System Profiler usually does not show anything even on a real mac. If you want it to start listing devices you could use a DSDT adjustment (Look for Name (_SUN, 0x01) fixes) or use Chun Nan's IOPCIFamily kext. These will show the cards in the system profiler but they will not help with getting anything working so it is more cosmetic than anything else.

Sorry about you having the issues with the wireless card. I have been hacking the bios to get around the whitelist issues on the cards I have tested. It is good to know in a pinch that the pin 20 trick will get around the unauthorized card message if I ever feel lazy on adding a device id to the bios and reflash again. Did you happen to notice when you had the AR5BXB63 if there were any messages on startup about not being able to attach the driver, and maybe something like "RTC Not Waking Up" and "HAL Status 3". I am curious if you card was failing to start due to the same issues I have seen with the Atheros card I have been testing.

Thanks.

as far as i can tell, no. nothing showed up. it was as if it wasnt being detected at all. maybe i didnt do it on the exact 20th pin? lol. i do know the card itself works. my old eee pc it was installed on only broke because someone cracked the screen on it. it still booted up, got on internet, etc. so im not sure. i can take another look at it though and see.

mr. vampirehunter_D (great anime, BTW), i have a little something interesting to inform you of:

so ever since ive started hackintoshing, ive been running back and forth like a chicken with its head cut off to set everything up to get it all running in a nice, WORKING & COMPATIBLE, and also dualbooting state. ive managed to get snow leopard running rather well, minus the few major drivers, but my new main problem is dual booting osx and windows 7. i dont have a 7 install disc, only a recovery disc which i made when i first bought this machine. problem is the recovery disc puts a preloaded 7 image onto the drive, which it completely erases, etc. i wont get into it on here and side-story your thread, lol.

heres the interesting part: upon messing with the partitions, etc on the hard drive, i somehow (dont ask me how, lol) made the startup disk discover some sort of extra "diagnostic boot" portion of 7. originally as you may know, the s10-3t comes with starter edition. well this diagnostic version is listed as ultimate. i even managed to pull a key off it.

the reason im mentioning this is because of the few threads ive posted here and another forum, you seem to be the only person other than myself interested in getting the s10-3t hackintoshed lol. so you might already know what im talking about, but if not. then ive noticed there are alot of test programs, even a folder for the bios with bios and cmos programs, along with a folder called "backups" within. i dont know much about bios hacking, but im just curious that if this IS a diagnostic boot. do you think it'd be possible for lenovo to include some sort of stripped bios, or rather one without the hardware restrictions on there? if youd like, let me know and maybe we can swap emails or ims or whatever and id be more than glad at sending you some of these files ive found. im going to keep this on the drive on this machine until you basically tell me its of no use.

i dont know much about the stuff on here, but i was thinking maybe there might be some more technical details about the hardware, etc on this diagnostic boot? let me know what you think please, thanks. :)

俩个� �,

Not sure about the question. From my limited research that was the kext that was patched for the 578 series which is why I used that one. If there is one that would be better to patch please let me know.

linnet9999,

As requested here is the bundle in the IONetworking family. Put into /Extra/GeneralExtensions and run UpdateExtra (assuming you used NBI). This way it does not need to be in S/L/E.

I try your kext with my 10.5.8 (i have a U350 lenovo, i was not able to install snow leopard) and it s a crach for me..

sniff

unvaluablespace,

Not sure if there would be anything of interest on the diagnostic partition unless there was a revision of the bios that is later than the current one on Lenovo's website, which it is probably not. I really think the issue is due to the DSDT and I am going to keep trying to work that avenue. As for the whitelist restriction that is not too much of an issue since I can add the devices vendor and device id into the bios and reflash. So if you want a modded bios that would allow either of the wireless cards (the BCM4313 and whichever Atheros card you were trying) without having to tape the pin send me the device and vendor ids of the Atheros card and I can compile a bios for you.

toto74742001,

On your device where was the kernel panic happening? I know with the S10-3t I had to pull the battery to install SL so maybe that was an issue. Were you using the latest NetBook Installer to create your stick? Either way if you can let me know where the crash happened I might be able to help you. I am not sure if the latest kext I posted will work with 10.5, the first one I posted might though.

vampirehunter_D

Thans for your first kext, it was ok for me with 10.5, without any problem except to modify manually the MAC adress.

About the SL installation, after i patch my usb drive 7GB with Netbook Installer on my Mac, and i try to install it on my netbook i was block with the white apple and the wheel on the screen.

I wil perhaps try to use EmpireEFI ??

I don't know

Thanks

toto74742001,

When you boot with NBI (Netbook Installer) when the disk with the reverse progress bar shows and is counting down hit the space bar. It will then show all the drives available on your system and type in

-v

which you will see on the lower left corner. Make sure the "Mac OS X Installation DVD"(sp?) drive is selected and then hit enter. This will boot in verbose mode through chameleon and then you should be able to see where the boot up process is stopping at.

hey vampirehunter_D like you said these are probably of no use to you but i figured ill just run by you some file names within the drive.

i found within a folder called "cmoslist" some typical bios editing or patching files.

cmos.bat

cmos1/dat

fl2mbr.bat

mbr3.exe

q1c39.dat

q1d05.dat

set_bios.cmd

wincmos1.exe

wqcibios.exe

then a subfolder called backup, with two other subfolders

in "24cn18ww: cmos1-copy.dat; q1c39.dat

in "24cn20ww: cmos1.dat; q1d05.dat

im sorry if none of this is of use to you, hope im not wasting your time. i just typed that out cuz i figure you probably would know more about certain filenames than i. there was other stuff found within the partition i mentioned before, but that was the only obvious bios related stuff. i did however find a picture of a nice asian man in a factory lol, prolly where it came from, and folders titled things like "factory process" or "factorytool" which i havent tried running yet, but curiousity might get the best of me later lol.

as for the device id's, i have no way of getting them right now since the lenovo wont let me get past the error screen lol. just curious though, you say you can hack or modify values to bypass certain hardware. is there any way to hack to disable hardware check altogether?

unvaluablespace,

You would never be wasting my time, any info is good info. I am not sure about the cmos* files, but the 24cnXXww relate to the revisions of the bios that are available, with 20 being the latest. Not sure what the factory tools will do, but it might run a restore process.

Do you have the exact model of the card? I can probably look up the vendor and device ids if you have that. As for removing the whitelist check all together theoretically you could pass a true value at the time the bios does a whitelist check, however I have not seen any information on where this might be on the bios. I also figure most people would be hesitant to explore where that is since we already know that adjusting the values for the devices we want to use and reflashing does not brick the machines. The info on how to hack the bios on the S10-3t is posted a few places. There is one place on a Philippines netbook site about adding a WWAN card, and I posted on the lenovo forums on adding a BCM90012 Crystal HD card. Basically it is hacking the MOD_5100.ROM and repacking the bios.

toto74742001,

When you boot with NBI (Netbook Installer) when the disk with the reverse progress bar shows and is counting down hit the space bar. It will then show all the drives available on your system and type in

-v

which you will see on the lower left corner. Make sure the "Mac OS X Installation DVD"(sp?) drive is selected and then hit enter. This will boot in verbose mode through chameleon and then you should be able to see where the boot up process is stopping at.

I load NBI (Netbook Installer) 0.8.3 and install it into my mac partition with 10.5

when i try to install SL with my usb card and -v with chameleon and i have only six lines:

loaded HFS+ file :[system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist] 475 bytes from 102378c0

loading darwin 10.6

loading kernel mach_kernel

loaded HFS+ file :[mach_kernel] 4096 bytes from 102378c0

loaded HFS+ file :[mach_kernel] 5575273 bytes from 102378c0

patching kernel mach_kernel

and nothing else

I m truying to use Empire EFI the legacyempire_efi1085 seems to accept my Snow leopard

wait to see

I load NBI (Netbook Installer) 0.8.3 and install it into my mac partition with 10.5

when i try to install SL with my usb card and -v with chameleon and i have only six lines:

loaded HFS+ file :[system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist] 475 bytes from 102378c0

loading darwin 10.6

loading kernel mach_kernel

loaded HFS+ file :[mach_kernel] 4096 bytes from 102378c0

loaded HFS+ file :[mach_kernel] 5575273 bytes from 102378c0

patching kernel mach_kernel

and nothing else

I m truying to use Empire EFI the legacyempire_efi1085 seems to accept my Snow leopard

wait to see

I would try using NetBookBootMaker 0.8.4 to create your Snow Leopard stick. I have not had much luck with 0.8.3 and the N450 pinetrail / GMA 3150 machines, in every case I have had to use the boot file from Chameleon 2.0 RC4 to patch the install or install image to get it to boot. I have not used Empire EFI, but if it ends up working well let us know how it goes. Good Luck!

I would try using NetBookBootMaker 0.8.4 to create your Snow Leopard stick. I have not had much luck with 0.8.3 and the N450 pinetrail / GMA 3150 machines, in every case I have had to use the boot file from Chameleon 2.0 RC4 to patch the install or install image to get it to boot. I have not used Empire EFI, but if it ends up working well let us know how it goes. Good Luck!

Thanks for information but with netbook 0.8.4 RC1 in the target field i never see my SL USB stick