ASUS P5B Deluxe - Snow Leopard Thread

LukeMotion

33 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

This thread mainly applies to the Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard and support for snow leopard.

The board contains the following hardware.

Audio: ADI AD1988B

Firewire: TI 1394a Controller

Ethernet: Marvell PCI-E and PCI Gigabit LAN controllers

These are the main ones that a Snow Leopard installation will most likely have problems with.

I've managed to get Snow up & running with Empire EFI and retail 10.6.0 with Ethernet (skge.text)

Audio you can get working with VoodooHDA.kext

However firewire does not work. It can be resolved by deleting the AppleHTEC.text and upon doing this I got my firewire back but the Ethernet no longer detects a cable and the connection stops.

Anyone else here using ASUS P5 based boards experiencing similar issues? I'll compile some downloads for working kexts & fixes after some research

the normal P5B seems to be very compatible and has always been, no big issues.

AD1988A with VoodooHDA

Realtek Ethernet oob or R1000SL (for Bonjour working)

USB working ( 2 Highspeed, 4 Normal)

Sleep with Sleepenabler, Autosleep with RIP2 Script

No Firewire on board

NVidia Grafic working with Efi String

Speedstep with DSDT Edit

for your problems i recommend the p5k install topic thread by masterchief, they gone quite far with editing the DSDT

for working USB Ports, Devices injected, Speedstep, etc.

Hi!

I have this board too, with working 10.6.2.

Firewire is shown in "About this Mac" but i never need it because i havn't something with firewire connection.

If the first ethernet (skge.kext) don't work without AppleHTEC.text, may be the second ethernet works with patched AppleYukon2.kext?!

F-Didi

• 4 weeks later...
Hi!

I have this board too, with working 10.6.2.

Firewire is shown in "About this Mac" but i never need it because i havn't something with firewire connection.

If the first ethernet (skge.kext) don't work without AppleHTEC.text, may be the second ethernet works with patched AppleYukon2.kext?!

F-Didi

Hello

Can you please tell me how did you done your installation. I'm struggling for a week now...

Many thanks in advance

tsed

Hello

Can you please tell me how did you done your installation. I'm struggling for a week now...

Many thanks in advance

tsed

Hi tsediri,

it's long time ago. I did it two times.

The first time i make an install from a booted Leo installation to the other partition. Then i booted into SL and had to install the BSD.pkg and the Extensions for P5B Deluxe.

The second time i did it with a Boot132-CD and the original SL-DVD like a retail installation.

Which error do you have by your installation?

Do you have all the Extensions you need?

F-Didi

the normal P5B seems to be very compatible and has always been, no big issues.

AD1988A with VoodooHDA

Realtek Ethernet oob or R1000SL (for Bonjour working)

USB working ( 2 Highspeed, 4 Normal)

Sleep with Sleepenabler, Autosleep with RIP2 Script

No Firewire on board

NVidia Grafic working with Efi String

Speedstep with DSDT Edit

for your problems i recommend the p5k install topic thread by masterchief, they gone quite far with editing the DSDT

for working USB Ports, Devices injected, Speedstep, etc.

Gday westwaerts

I have this board as well and the on board audio is as you mentioned above, could you tell me how you got your ADI AD1988A sound working, I could never get it to work natively am running several OSes on multiple drives. I have sound working using Misticos' P5B deluxe package but that is sound out only? I have Snow Leopard 10.6.2 running smoothly no kernel panics as of yet. Leopard runs solid but isnt vanilla and Winsucks is only used for my racing games.

I would be keenly interested to know how you got the sound working? One small thing, I have an HP UVC class webcam (see signature) that works in every os with iChat photo booth and the like but in Snow it only gives me a black screen, mic works and Skype does give me picture and sound. There is no program I can find to get it working in the two apps mentioned above? iusbcam hasnt caught up to Snow Leopard yet and MACCAM doesnt work???? If anyone has an idea would greatly appreciate the advice.

Good luck to all, cheers, Plucka

@plucka

ADI AD1988A

works with VoodooHDA 0.2.53 in System Extensions only, doesnt work in Extra,

repair permissions and rebuild caches

UVC Webcams should work oob and do if they show up in Skype

Thanks for your reply westwaerts, do you think you may be able to upload the kext? I have googled it but it isnt on the Voodoo site anymore? Or if you know a link to the kext? I will try it in my test install, do I have to remove anything from system/library/extensions before placing the kext in System Extensions?

Once again thank you very much for your reply and cheers mate, Plucka

Thanks for your reply westwaerts, do you think you may be able to upload the kext? I have googled it but it isnt on the Voodoo site anymore? Or if you know a link to the kext? I will try it in my test install, do I have to remove anything from system/library/extensions before placing the kext in System Extensions?

Once again thank you very much for your reply and cheers mate, Plucka

http://www.kexts.com/view/189-voodoohda_v2.5.3.html

delete all previous VoodooHDA.kexts out of extra and system>extensions

and be sure to repair and rebuild everything properly

i had to restart twice to get it working

and there is a SysPrefPane too for adjusting levels.

Ta mate, :P will give it a go asap, much appreciate all your help, have a great day/night wherever you are.

Cheers for now, Plucka

I always got some error to do with registry when i tried to access the sys pref pane.

Any ideas?

Also does the front panel usb ports for you guys' p5b's and also front panel speaker port! really need those :)

Hey westwaerts,

I managed to install the kext, and repair everything, I must say the PC made a loud popping sound through the speakers when booting? and as far as I could tell there were options for sound out: optical, headphones and socket outputs but couldnt see any input options, the SysPrefPane, well please forgive my ignorance but I didnt see that? Where is that to be found, again sorry for my ignorance.

Thank you once again for your help, cheers mate, Plucka

Hi tsediri,

it's long time ago. I did it two times.

The first time i make an install from a booted Leo installation to the other partition. Then i booted into SL and had to install the BSD.pkg and the Extensions for P5B Deluxe.

The second time i did it with a Boot132-CD and the original SL-DVD like a retail installation.

Which error do you have by your installation?

Do you have all the Extensions you need?

F-Didi

Thanks F-Didi for your answer.

I just figured out that all the trouble was from the graphic card. In fact i bought the ATI 2600 XT with the same ID of the mac pro (0x9588) witch was perfect for tiger and Leopard but is completley useless in Snowleopard. There's absolutely noway to install snow retail with efi empire, or 132 boot cd with this card plugged in. I mean I can not get the installer to go till the languages menu, it stops before with the circle and bar sign....

I was trying to get it to work even without quartz and core image but without success.

Should I give away ???

A last question could you please specify where can I find BSD.pkg and the Extensions for P5B Deluxe.

Thanks

A last question could you please specify where can I find BSD.pkg and the Extensions for P5B Deluxe.

Hi tsediri,

the BSD.pkg is at the Retail Mac OS Install DVD. At first you have to show the hidden files and folders.

Then go in the DVD to that path: "/System/Installation/Packages".

The extensions are in this forum, i put it here too.

F-Didi

Extensions_for_Extra_folder.zip

Extensions_for_S_L_E_folder.zip

Hey westwaerts,

I managed to install the kext, and repair everything, I must say the PC made a loud popping sound through the speakers when booting? and as far as I could tell there were options for sound out: optical, headphones and socket outputs but couldnt see any input options, the SysPrefPane, well please forgive my ignorance but I didnt see that? Where is that to be found, again sorry for my ignorance.

Thank you once again for your help, cheers mate, Plucka

See attachment, dont know anymore, where i got it

You can ajust the Levels for removing noises, Popping at Startup is as is

VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip

See attachment, dont know anymore, where i got it

You can ajust the Levels for removing noises, Popping at Startup is as is

Thanks mate, will give it another try on the Snow Test partition. Really appreciate your help and if I can return the favor at anytime please dont hesitate to say so. Dont know if I could be of much help, but well you never know do you?

I will report back on the progress, cheers for now, Plucka

I managed to get a vanilla Snow Leopard install working over the weekend, mainly using this guide.

I had to set my HD to use IDE instead of AHCI in BIOS, to then use IOATAfmaily.kext . I read on the myHack website that using this kext is fine up to 10.6.2, but using this kext caused kernal panics when used with the beta of OS 10.6.3. Unless this is fixed (unlikely) then it looks like at some point int the future, we will have to abandon IOATAfamily.kext.

Rather than using an AHCI injector and yellow icon fixes, it makes more sence to patch the DSDT. I have used DSDTSE to patch my DSDT to enable native AHCI, but this has not worked. I found myself removing about 400 hunderd lines of code, and replacing it with about 50. This kind of felt a bit wrong...

The Master Chief P5K Pro DSDT thread looks very useful, but will it solve problems on a P5B Deluxe? I guess its worth trying, as the architecture cant be that disimilar...(famous last words...)

Has anyone else managed to patch their DSDTs sucessfully to fix USB and ACHI storage problems on a P5B-D? We could do with someone in this thread who is as experienced at patching DSDTs as Master Chief, but owns a P5B Deluxe! Shall we club together and buy Master Chief a P5B-D?.... (joke)

• 1 month later...

I have a fully working Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on ASUS P5B deluxe wifi. I did not check the Firewire, but it shows up in 'About this Mac'. I do not use built in wifi adapter. Sound and Mic work but there is a noise from the Mic to speaker which is down once I set the "Monitor" option for Mic to zero in Pref pane.

• 1 month later...
I have a fully working Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on ASUS P5B deluxe wifi. I did not check the Firewire, but it shows up in 'About this Mac'. I do not use built in wifi adapter. Sound and Mic work but there is a noise from the Mic to speaker which is down once I set the "Monitor" option for Mic to zero in Pref pane.

Hi kamaraju,

what is the release that you use and where didi you get it.

Thank's

Hi,

i have successfully installed Snow Leopard on my PC, and everything is up and running just fine, graphic acceleration included.

I was really impressed!

I'm using Hazard Leopard 10.6.2, and i have an E6600 on a P5B-E Plus.

Unfortunately, the Marvell 88E8056 Ethernet controller won't work, and if i try to install the kext with the same name i get a Kernel Panic at boot.

Other kext just don't provide internet access.

What can I do?

Thanks for any help! :D

• 5 months later...

Don't know if anyone is going to reply to this, but I have a big problem.

After almost a year of using "OSX86" I am now encountering random instant reboot issues after installing things that (I suppose) install kexts into my snow leopard installation. The only solution is formatting the partition and reinstall the whole OSX from scratch (I have an external HDD with the modified installer and a working recovery partition).

System is, obviously, ASUS P5B Deluxe, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, nVidia GeForce GTX 260.

I really hope nobody rages out seeing a guy asking for help in a cold way, but I think I'm sad so I can't give you any positive contribute or help with the coolness of this community, which however is GREAT!!! Thanks for the awesome guides (De_Bilbao on top of the saints here :D )

Good day! :)