GTX260 Core216 [joint tutorial]

sirNemanjapro

8 posts in this topic

DISCLOSURE | NOTICE | READ THIS

This tutorial is not an official solution. This tutorial can harm your computer. You are doing this on your own responsibility. I and other authors/posters are in no way responsible for any damages.

DISCLOSURE | NOTICE | READ THIS

I am guessing that lots of people here are moving to nVidia 2XX from 8XXX and 9XXX. Well, that's fine with me, I'm also one of you guys.

Here I will try to create tutorial or walk-through on how to remove old drivers, from 8 and 9 series, and install new ones for GTX260 and onwards.

I have GTX260 Core216 (I know, I rule) and the rest of the configuration is as follows (just for "reference"):

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6750 + OCZ Vendetta 2
MoBo: DFI Infinity BloodIron T2L
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x1GB DDR2 PC9600 + Kingston HyperX 1GB DDR2 PC8500
VGA: Gigabyte GTX 260 Core 216
MON: ProView AI2237W + ViewSonic VA2216w
HDD: WD 640GB Black Edition SATA 32MB | WD 320GB SATA 16MB | Maxtor 160GB 8MB
OPT: LG DVD 16x - Pioneer 115D
Case: Chieftec Matrix MX-01BD-U | Chieftec 400W v2
SND: Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 | Altec Lansing 251 | Creative Inspire P580
INET: UMTS/GPRS
Rest of: Logitech DeLuxe, MX310, MX518, PantherXL, Logitech QuickCam, ASUS TV/FM, Zip100

[Part I - Removing the old]

Now lets go to removing those old drivers.

Boot up your MacOS X with -x, so you can go to SafeMode.

After that go to /System/Library/Extensions/.

Search for:

# GeForce.kext

# all that start with NVDAN

# NVDAResman.kext

# NVKush

Copy found files on your USB Flash or somewhere on your other partition or other HDD so you have a copy.

After copy, delete them.

This is where things get blurry for me, and I would like for someone to step in.

[Part II - Installing the new]

Well, I don't know why you started this thread and then abandoned it without basically saying anything.

My GTX260 216 works out of the box. What is simply needed is Chameleon 2 RC4 and setting of GraphicsEnabler to yes in com.apple.Boot.plist. Done.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I had some problems with my GTX285..

The usual stuff black screen etc.

I solved it quite simply,

Newest NVEnabler from Netkas, ´GTX285 EFI string from Newest EFI Studio..

NVEnabler in Extra folder und EFI string in com.apple.boot.plist

now the card is fully recognized and fully accelerated.

Hi Everyone-

I'm pulling my hair out, very close to the edge, about to commit suicide trying to get my GTX 260 up-and-running with a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 mobo. Please help.

Situation:

-Installed 10.6 using Kakewalk bootstick method. Black Screen on startup, goes into Power Save.

-Read every thread here, TonyMacx86, OSXProject, and elsewhere

-Follow this method to remove offending kexts:

http://osx86.net/f19/guide-geforce-gtx-260...-leopard-t4057/ (The EFI Strings link is dead, so I use newest version of EFI Studio, and create a new apple.com.Boot.plist. See below.)

-Update to 10.6.3

-Black screen, goes into Power Save mode again.

-Remove offending kexts again

-Reinstall every kext individually, reset permissions, etc. using Kext Utility and Kext Helper. Narrow down the offending kext to NVDAResman, I believe

-Update my DeviceID in NVDAResman, NVDANVHal40/50, GeForce.kext. Install NVEnabler.

-System gets to the grey Apple logo screen, then hangs.

-Test DVI instead of VGA. Nothing.

-Remove NVEnabler, try EFI strings created with EFI Studio. No luck.

-Desperate, try [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], myHack_installer, a few kexts from kexts.com, Enabler_for_nVidia from Netkas, and a few other things. No luck.

-Remove all modified kexts, use Pacifist to extract Vanilla kexts from 10.6.3 delta combo, reinstall. Try a few variations of EFI strings in com.apple.Boot.plist. No luck.

-Follow this guide:

http://prasys.co.cc/2010/04/straight-forwa...-upgrade-guide/ Nothing.

-Try messing around further with com.apple.Boot.plist. Nothing.

Basically, if NVDAResman is in S/L/E, the machine won't boot with my current configuration. And if NVDAResman isn't in S/L/E, I can't modify the resolution -- I'm stuck in 1024 x 768.

I'd be happy to do a full OS reinstall if you think it'll help.

Please lend a hand before I hop in the tub with my toaster.

Thanks.

Mac

PS I still can't get sound to work, either.

• 2 weeks later...