NV 8400 GS 0x0422 Desktop *FULLY WORKING* QE/QGL/CI

theproto

86 posts in this topic

I need some help...

Ive got one hard drive, three partitions..

Mac(10.5.2, for fixing the other)

Mac(10.5.7, my main setup)

Windows(XP, for games)

Now, i was setting up XBMC on my 10.5.7, and come to realize that all this time ive had no OpenGL, QE, CI, etc. and set out to fix.

Ive tried a number of things, Punk's Installers, NVInject 0.2.1(and a number of installers), EFIStudio/Strings(which i added strings and attempted to install but overwrote my bootloader and broke my system, which i luckly fixed.), NVEnabler...

Somehow through all that though, i accidentally tried it on my 10.5.2 and it fully worked? But i cant get it to work on my 10.5.7, so i checked all my 10.5.2s kexts and transfered those all over aswell, and i think ive got it narrowed down to the Nvdaresman.kext, with it, my -v shows that NVDANV50Hal.kext loads, but i get "no signal", and without it, my normal low res 1024*728...

So, do i have extra kexts on my 10.5.7 that are screwing me up?, or is just the jump from 10.5.2 changed that much? I think its something else, cause ive heard of it working on 10.5.7, no idea though.

Help is much apperciated,

Jakeyboy

Hi All.

I made the installation of the IPC 10.5.6 with NVinject 512mb card.

The card is a Geforce 8400gs. It works perfectly, at

switch between profiles on the color and size does not happen

nothing. I'm using DVI cable.

Currently the graphic display is like this:

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06e4

Revision ID: 0x00A1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Can anyone help me please!! tips are welcome!!!!

Hi all. Sorry this is a totally lame question, but I'm fed up and would really appreciate advice.

I have an 8400GS card. I have everything working perfect using an EFI String from OSx86Tools. DVI out, full resolution, etc. Life is great.

Except occasionally my GUI crashes (screen mostly blurs and freezes but mouse moves for a few seconds then total lock up. Sometimes I can SSH in, sometimes I cannot. Usually will find entries like the following in the kernel log:

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

It crashes more often when doing certain things: software development in Java seems to be the worst.

Anyway, other people on here have reported this, and I found some stuff about it even with Apple-brand macs on the apple forums. So, unless someone has a great idea how to fix this, I'll just buy a new card.

I'm looking for something cheap. I don't play games. Maybe I play with iMovie a bit. The main things I need are DVI out and stability, really. I use this machine for scientific research and software development, so I just want a card that will work easily and will not crash.

Please advise me what to buy. The hardware compatibility list doesn't really give a sense of stability...

Thank in advance for your advice.

--

Brian

ep45-ds3r

Q6600

8 GB Ram

8400 GS 256MB

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 512MB which worked flawlessly in 10.5.8 with the EFI generated from OSX86 Tools.

However, I just installed Snow Leopard (upgraded to 10.6.2), running 64-bit, and I've yet to be able to get video output with any EFI string I've tried. I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 and PC EFI 10.5 with the usual some custom kexts for SL 64-bit.

My output configuration needs to be VGA only. I only have a VGA monitor. This seemed to be handled automatically and flawlessly in Leopard but is not working at all in Snow Leopard. The best I've been able to get is a black screen with a cursor with Chameleon's "GraphicsEnabler" feature. With the "custom Geforce hex" (VGA / DVI-I) I generated with OSX86 Tools , I only get a black screen.

Can anyone help with getting a working Snow Leopard EFI for the 8400GS that outputs only VGA correctly? I'm thinking it has something to do with generating an EFI for VGA only as it seems like it expects there to be a DVI display when there is none. Right now, I'm using VESA mode (1280x1024) but have no QE

I've got QE and CI fully working with my NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS card. To do this, I edited the .plist file in the NVinject.kext folder and changed the value for IOProbeScore from 60000 to 0. Reboot and WOW! Everything is working perfectly! I even managed to fully update my Leopard install to 10.5.8 (I was running IPC 10.5.6) by just backing up my Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel and a few .kext folders and then restoring them after doing the Delta updates. (I did 10.5.7 first, then 10.5.8, then ran Software Update to fully patch the system!). The other .kext folders are:

- Disabler.kext

- AppleDecrypt.kext

- Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext

- System.kext

- seatbelt.kext

- AppleSMBIOS.kext

HINT: Have a terminal window open BEFORE you run the Delta update - you won't be able to open one when it's done updating and wants you to click REBOOT. That happened to me once, and I had to do a single user mode (-s) boot and then update all my files and then clear the kext cache.

Hi,

Folks i have a doubt here wether my nvidia 8400 GS with grahics memory 512MB supports mac iatkos distro becoz i succesfully installed it and when restart it just sits at loading darwin when press f8 it shows advance option and when try to get in safe mode it does nothing..............Thanks in advance

Hey there forum gods,

I have been scrounging around these forums and other ones out there for days trying to get my video card working correctly on my hackintosh. I'm new to all of this but installing and editing kext device ids I can handle.

I'm running kalyway 10.5.2 and my video card is a geforce 8400 gs with 512 mb of vram with a device id of 0404.

Every kext I have installed so far has failed completely except for nvinject which makes the monitor and mouse go completely insane (mouse can only go to the edge of the screen and disappears frequently and the desktop seems stretched beyond the scope of the monitor. I have removed all of them in single user mode as I move on to the next attempt so I know they arent screwing with each other and Ive been testing with both VGA and DVI. I know people have had success with this card chipset, I just can't get it to work. Absolutely any help would be appreciated with this issue. Thanks.

Hi, I need some help. Its been about a month since I updated from 10.5.2 kalway to 10.5.8 delta. I now can't seem to get my QE working. I have core img as software and ql working. I tried nvinject, efi strings, nvkush, natit. I have the Asus en8400gs 512mb card. I was wondering if the framework would have something to do with it. I seen this tut: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3113

and thats where I bring up framework. Also, is the injectors listed above comp. with 10.5.8? Thanks in advance.

Hi I am using a Sony Viao SZ6 Series laptop. I am a web cam and Graphics card away from perfect osx10.6.2.

Not too bothored about the web cam, but the graphics card is causing many headaches.

Its an Nvidia 8400m gs and have tried all the normal solutions for the card but nothing works.

I'm guessing there is a particular driver just for sony viao 8400m gs.

Would i be correct. Any help much appriciated

Thanks

Hey all, I just bought a nVidia GeForce 8400GS (512MB) from PNY (if the manufacturer means anything to you). The whole time that I've had OS X I have been using the integrated card (GMA 3100) but I can't edit videos! I'm a complete noob at this and would like to know what I need to do to enable QE/CI on it. I know there are the NVInject and NVKush kexts but I honestly don't know that to do with them. Please help!!! :)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy an nVidia 8400GS (512MB).

I'm running a retail Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and I have 2 monitors (both 1280x1024).

According to the HCL, this graphic card works with EFI String, and OpenCL / QE and CI are enabled, but does it work with 2 monitors (VGA+DVI)?

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks

P.S: Sorry if my English is not the best, but I'm italian :)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy an nVidia 8400GS (512MB).

I'm running a retail Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and I have 2 monitors (both 1280x1024).

According to the HCL, this graphic card works with EFI String, and OpenCL / QE and CI are enabled, but does it work with 2 monitors (VGA+DVI)?

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks

P.S: Sorry if my English is not the best, but I'm italian :P

Anyone?

Hello all!

I have one question, but i don't know how can i do this.

I have a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L, and my video card : nVidia 8400 GS.

I try with OSX86TOOLS, select my card in the list apply to the boot.apple.com and copy & paste in /extra/com.apple.com.

I try with nvinject 64.kext, good resolution, but i don't have video when i play a movie.

Any solution, THK.

First, good night.Sorry my bad english, and here we go...

I'm in a Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8, PCChips A13G+, nVidia GeForce 8400GS 256mb using VGA exit (I don't have that adapter...). Well, the problem is: Whatever I do or driver I install, got the famous Blue Screen. I tried so many other ways that I found here in forum, but the unique solution is delete the kexts, solve the problem but screw up with the video, play the simple Bejeweled 2 is a terrorism! See the screen saver it's horrible (Oh, and when I try to change the screen saver, I get a error: Can't load Bundle (?)). Anyway, I'm using this to work, and it's much better than Windows, except this problem... sorry for the text... any solution? Thank you, guys...

How do I get full 8400GS support on Snow Leopard 10.6.2?

I have tried for hours and hours and while my monitor (24") is native 1920x1200, I can never bump it higher than 1600x1200.

I have modified (I have skilled Unix knowledge) /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist so it contains these lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>a80300000100000001.........etc

The EFI string is generated from these instructions but still System Profiler show my graphics card as:

Type: GPU

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Device ID: 0x0422

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

EDIT: I just saw on that site that Snow Leopard generates the wrong output file. Is there any way to fix this?

I have tried all kinds of variants; tried EFI Studio 1.1, OSX86Tools (which apparently do not work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2, even though the Wiki is full of people with 8400GS cards wich used it to generate the EFI string for 10.6.2), tried the NVKush/NVInject kexts, the new EFI boot loader 10.5 where one is just supposed to enter graphicsenable=y and the instructions here - but that just gave me a black screen --- I have tried just about everything I can think of and nothing works for me so far.

Is there any way to get this card working on a fresh install (not upgrade) of 10.6.2 or do I need a new card?

• 2 weeks later...

512mb MSI n8400gs Fully Working! - 10.5.8, Dual monitors, quartz, and everything else!!!

So, recently i got my MSI n8400gs in from newegg. Unfortunately, it needed to be installed with iAtkos. Screw it, i had kalyway already set up. Here's what you do to get everything working. One, delete any and all NV... kext(s) that you have... And then, install http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...stallerV.41.pkg

Deselect vanilla & 256. Select 512 and the macbook drivers.

All credit goes to scott angel. He truly is an angel.

Note: Sometimes the resolutions like to screw with you. Restarting typically fixes this problem

• 3 weeks later...

I report about success with with nVidia GeForce 8400GS graphics card on Snow Leopard

Card: Club 3D nVidia GeForce 8400GS

Memory: 256MB GDDR2 64BIT

Connections: CRT+HDMI+DVI 450/800

Model ID: CGNX-GS846LCI

I tried EFI string, which worked really fine with DVI but I had black screen with VGA connection.

So I tried the NVEnabler 64bit, version 0.1b, which worked really well with VGA too.

Download: NVEnabler_64.kext.zip

Hey

I have an 8400GS which was working fine until I recently formatted my Hackintosh back to 10.5.6 (Now running 10.5.8) and now my menu bar is no longer transparent etc. etc. etc.

Tried installing Logic 9 and said I have 0MB or VRAM which gave me a laugh, so then (Apparently stupidly) tried NVInstaller/NVInject, didn't work.

I have been told that I need to get rid of the NV* kexts now, but what is the Terminal line to do so?

And which version of NVEnabler do I need? Thanks.

Here is the info from System Profiler:

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Type: Display

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Device ID: 0x0422

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.3

Displays:

Display Connector:

L194W:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

• 3 weeks later...

I also have success with Asus EN8400GS Silent using this kext (10.6.2 X58, i7 from basic Digital Dreamer script). I am using 24" and 19" Samsung monitors. No problem with extended desktop but what I really want is mirror. Whenever I try this my 24" DVI goes blue and my VGA stays good. Anybody ever get this to work?

Thanks,

-Lee

I report about success with with nVidia GeForce 8400GS graphics card on Snow Leopard

Card: Club 3D nVidia GeForce 8400GS

Memory: 256MB GDDR2 64BIT

Connections: CRT+HDMI+DVI 450/800

Model ID: CGNX-GS846LCI

I tried EFI string, which worked really fine with DVI but I had black screen with VGA connection.

So I tried the NVEnabler 64bit, version 0.1b, which worked really well with VGA too.

Download: NVEnabler_64.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've got the same problem with my MSI NX GeForce 8400 GS 256Mb.

I can get the resolution up to 1650x1080 using Chameleon RC5 with GraphicsEnabler=Y.

But I can't seem to get QE/CI to work, I tried:

- NVinject

- NVEnabler 64

- GFX injection via OSXtools and EFI studio

I'm not sure I'm doing this injection right, as I wonder Do I need informations like Device ID.

It is rather frustrating, I feel like I'm close to make it work but I'm not that good in terms of command lines, GFX strings...

Any idea/suggestions would be more than welcome :blink: