GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Thank you Emilo. Today I did a test installation of Mojave, on a clone of my main SSD, and got it installed OK.  I will do the real install tonight. 

I had three observations :

Before I read your post, I had already tried to update Clover. I downloaded the latest, 4722. For some reason this was completely unable to boot. It kept freezing at the start of the boot process, right after displaying the '6' that indicates SATA mode. It never gets as far as looking for boot entries. I tried many combination of options but always the same result.  Then I saw your post and tried 4700 instead and it worked immediately. 

Did you find the same problem, hence suggesting 4700?  If not I will ask on Clover thread as to why 4722 did not work for me. 

Secondly, yes I had to change definition to 14.2, otherwise the installer would not start, asking for a firmware update. I am still not quite sure why this is, as I upgraded Clover Configurator and chose a new MP5.1 definition which gave me a new FW definition dated 09/18, and EFI version 140.  I Googled and found posts indicating these versions should be OK for Mojave. But still I got the firmware message, so instead I temporarily set SMBIOS to 14.2 which worked fine. 

Finally, your guide mentions apfs.efi. Instead I tried the new ApfsDriverLoader, which worked fine. I think that with latest Clover there is no need to manually copy apfs.efi any more for either HS or Mojave.  It also has the benefit of not putting debug text on screen during boot. 

Thanks again for the info. 

1 hour ago, TheBloke said:

Before I read your post, I had already tried to update Clover. I downloaded the latest, 4722. For some reason this was completely unable to boot. It kept freezing at the start of the boot process, right after displaying the '6' that indicates SATA  mode. It never gets as far as looking for boot entries. I tried many combination of options but always the same result.  Then I saw your post and tried 4700 instead and it worked immediately. 

Did you find the same problem, hence suggesting 4700?  If not I will ask on Clover thread as to why 4722 did not work for me. 

Secondly, yes I had to change definition to 14.2, otherwise the installer would not start, asking for a firmware update. I am still not quite sure why this is, as I upgraded Clover Configurator and chose a new MP5.1 definition which gave me a new FW definition dated 09/18, and EFI version 140.  I Googled and found posts indicating these versions should be OK for Mojave. But still I got the firmware message, so instead I temporarily set SMBIOS to 14.2 which worked fine. 

Finally, your guide mentions apfs.efi. Instead I tried the new ApfsDriverLoader, which worked fine. I think that with latest Clover there is no need to manually copy apfs.efi any more for either HS or Mojave.  It also has the benefit of not putting debug text on screen during boot. 

Thanks again for the info. 

- Some Clover versions will not work properly with our Legacy BIOS systems. I specifically suggested Clover version 4644 or 4700 because I tested them to work properly.

- With MacPro5,1 definition. installer automatically compares used Video Card Vendor and Device ID with Apple's own list of Mojave compatible cards. If it doesn't match it generates error code.

This video card compatibility check is not performed with newer System Definitions like iMac14,2.

- I mention coping of apfs.efi driver to EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 folder in case someone forgets to select ApfsDriverLoader-64 option during Clover install or update. Used Clover settings are not always transferred during Clover updates.

Edited by Emilo
  • Like 1

Ahh, good to know regarding the firmware check. 

I'm my case I have Asus 7970 Ghz Edition (AKA a 280X.) It is definitely Metal compatible but I guess it will not appear on Apple's list of standard cards. Especially as my Asus card has 6 outputs and is quite unusual. 

Thanks. 

Do you guts have CPU power management works? The HWMonitor that I use (even upgraded to Slice's versionn 3) always shows 1608MHz. Before, in HighSierra it fluctuates up and down.

I am not sure if the CPUPM that doen't work or the HWMonitor that having probleme.

UPDATE:

I read on the other forum, it is because the CPU is not recognized by OS X 10.14 (not on the supported CPU List), and the poster mentioned NullCPUPowerManagement.kext as remedy. But, don't NullCPUPowerManagement.kext disables the PM all the way?

UPDATE 2:

I updated FakeSMC.kext from 3.5.0 to 3.5.1, the CPU frequency is fluctuated again, so I guess problem solved :)

Edited by aikidoka25

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update of my experiences with my GA-EX58-UD5 rig, as i seem to be having problems keeping up with the latest mac os releases, and the fault seems to be apples software/attitude to nvidia cards rather than my rig which has worked right since the start of this thread.

It is my main desktop computer used daily without issues. sleep, cpu speed changes the lot.

Sleep/reboot support using non apple hard disks. this stops working for high sierra and later, disks are not recognised on reboot, and attempting to sleep results in the drives making nasty clicking sounds. This is definitely software related. previous mac os, and other oses work fine.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/large-internal-hard-drives-wont-mount-after-restart-in-mac-pro-5-1.2112701/

Nivida web drivers for my GTX970. As stated here, these are not available for mojave due to a delay in apple approving them, neither is cuda supported. Both seem linked to apples pushing of metal for GPU tech. I have also found that the gpu related features of Safari 12 are very slow with my card. other apps and browsers work fine. (maybe safari 12 is trying to use metal for it gpu accelerated functions?)

The thing is I would have these problems even if i had a genuine macpro5,1! Which is pretty poor form Apple TBH.

It seems if i want to keep this rig up to date I would need to buy an AMD GPU, and remove all the HDs form my system leaving only the SSDs. Not keen to do either right now. so I'm sticking with 10.12.6. (I do however wish i had not installed safari 12!)

Cheers

Jon

7 hours ago, jhrfc said:

Just an update of my experiences with my GA-EX58-UD5 rig, as i seem to be having problems keeping up with the latest mac os releases, and the fault seems to be apples software/attitude to nvidia cards rather than my rig which has worked right since the start of this thread.

It is my main desktop computer used daily without issues. sleep, cpu speed changes the lot.

Sleep/reboot support using non apple hard disks. this stops working for high sierra and later, disks are not recognised on reboot, and attempting to sleep results in the drives making nasty clicking sounds. This is definitely software related. previous mac os, and other oses work fine.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/large-internal-hard-drives-wont-mount-after-restart-in-mac-pro-5-1.2112701/

I'm not familiar with this problem, and only have max 2TB drives here.  But if it's related to MP 5.1, it might be worth trying another SMBIOS?  I can boot my GA-X58A-UD3R system with MP 6.1, iMac 14.x, iMac 15.x, some of the MacMini ones, and probably more too.   It's probably a long-shot, but that's the first thing I'd try.    Maybe also there's something that Clover can do - a patch to a kext or something - that wouldn't be available to normal Mac users. 

There's also the possibility of using a different SATA connector?  Adding a PCIe card with some SATA ports, that might behave differently to the onboard ones?  There's plenty of cheap ones around, like the ASMedia one that a few people use.  Or there are better options, like a proper LSI MegaRaid controller - for which there is a special kext available in the download section here which I know works on HS and I imagine also works on Mojave (it was updated recently.)  Using a completely different controller to access the drives could well circumvent the problem.

Nivida web drivers for my GTX970. As stated here, these are not available for mojave due to a delay in apple approving them, neither is cuda supported. Both seem linked to apples pushing of metal for GPU tech. I have also found that the gpu related features of Safari 12 are very slow with my card. other apps and browsers work fine. (maybe safari 12 is trying to use metal for it gpu accelerated

functions?)  It seems if i want to keep this rig up to date I would need to buy an AMD GPU, and remove all the HDs form my system leaving only the SSDs.

Yeah it's a big shame that Apple are holding up the NVidia web drivers for Mojave.   Personally I did exactly what you said here - back in March I sold my NVidia 980Ti and bought an AMD, specifically an Asus Matrix Radeon 7970 - which is equivalent to an R9 280X.  I sold the NVidia for about double what I paid for the Asus, so I also got some funds to spend on other things.

At the time I sold it there was a major problem with NVidia drivers causing UI stutters and slowdowns.  That was one reason I sold (though the stutters were fixed soon after anyway), but the other was that I wanted to run more than four monitors.  So I bought one of the few GPUs I could find that has six connectors: 2 x DVI + 4 x DP.   Of course the AMD GPU was a big downgrade in terms of gaming, but I haven't really been playing games much at all for the last few months, so I haven't missed it.  And given there are still no Mojave web drivers, it turned out to be lucky that I changed GPU manufacturer, else I'd not have been able to upgrade to Mojave.

I do have an ongoing problem with the AMD, whereby on boot I get a picture on only two of the six connectors.  The other four are detected in Display Preferences and the monitors have signal, but the screens are black.  Luckily this is solved by a sleep and wake.  So I just have the procedure that every time I reboot, I sleep and immediately wake again from the Login screen.  It's a bit of a pain, delaying any reboot by 2+ minutes.  But once I've done it everything is fine, and I don't tend to reboot or shutdown often anyway.  I've tried a million things to fix this, and have concluded it's probably related to Legacy boot, and therefore isn't fixable on my X58 system.

Edited by TheBloke

Hi all

I'm half considering upgrading my GPU to a Radeon RX 580.

Can anyone confirm they're using such a card on our Gigabyte X58 motherboard without problems?   I expect the vast majority of RX580 users are on UEFI BIOS, and given I seem to have a slight problem with my current Asus 7970/R9 280X that I think is related to Legacy boot, I'd like to confirm first that the RX580 should work fine on a Legacy boot system.

I'd also be very interested to hear if anyone is using multi-monitor from an RX580 (or RX560 I guess) on a Gigabyte X58 motherboard - especially if you have 3 or more monitors?  I'd like to know if you get a picture on all of them from boot.

Thanks in advance for any info

• 2 weeks later...

I bricked my setup with that new Clover - what's the easiest method to downgrade Clover?  I don't have another working install on my rig - should I install to thumb drive or can I do it from an Installer?

I have an an installer with 4700 installed and I can boot to that menu, but during the boot of my OSX boot drive it restarts after some super fast log
I hope something other than Clover version is not messed up - I installed NTFS driver prior as well as I am trying to use another SSD to dual boot windows.  Also anything that would've been standard when running Clover pkg installer - maybe something overwritten or conflicting?  I assumed config.plist would be untouched.

Edited by myrorym
clarification

What version of Clover bricked your rig? I currently run 4741 and everything is working smoothly. Was about to update to 4769.

Just boot from a thumb drive with a usable Clover. Then just reinstall to your EFI partition whatever version of Clover worked for you before.

I always have a thumb drive with a working Clover in case I mess something up with my set-up.

I think 4769 was the version -  I was able to start with older 4700 version on USB and then re-install. 

So now back to my dual-boot quest, anyone running dual-boot with Win10 on secondary SSD?

I have a Bootable USB installer made with Rufus for latest Win10 Pro ISO -- but I'm only able to make that NTFS.

When I boot up from Clover on my OSX drive, I see the NTFS installer, but when I run it - I can't choose the GPT formatted SSD because it wants me to format to NTFS.

Using this guide

And this post

• 1 month later...

Helle there,

Experiencing the same problems here to update Clover.

With my GC 970GTX i have no interest to go to Mojave.

macOS 10.3.6 is going fine here with Clover r4440. I did try every Clover release until 4813 but no way to boot.

Question:

Anyway, is there any interest to update Clover for our old MOBO's ??

On 12/23/2018 at 1:27 PM, @ROBASEFR said:

Helle there,

macOS 10.3.6 is going fine here with Clover r4440. I did try every Clover release until 4813 but no way to boot.

Question:

Clover versions that properly work with our Legacy Systems are: 4700, 4741, 4798, 4813, 4842, 4844.

I assume that you are using proper install options as shown in attached screenshot.

For Apfs formatted SSD drives, remove apfs.efi driver from drivers64 folder and install ApfsDriverLoader-64 instead.

It is also possible that you config.plist is outdated and does not cooperate with newest Clover versions.

Use latest Clover Configurator to update your config.plist.

1982438109_CloverOpttions.jpg.94820cd5a7a818e690ac73dfd9a4610d.jpg

ApfsDriverLoader.jpg

Edited by Emilo
  • Like 1

I removed apfs-64.efi driver from drivers64 folder and installed ApfsDriverLoader-64 instead.

I used latest Clover Configurator and updated my config.plist. But still the same with r4798

I always used Legacy booting with BIOSBLOCK IO ( 7)

I this prohibited know ?

I suppose that my old DSDT.aml is blocking normal boot now ....

Edited by @ROBASEFR

12 hours ago, @ROBASEFR said:

I removed apfs-64.efi driver from drivers64 folder and installed ApfsDriverLoader-64 instead.

I used latest Clover Configurator and updated my config.plist. But still the same with r4798

I always used Legacy booting with BIOSBLOCK IO ( 7)

I this prohibited know ?

I suppose that my old DSDT.aml is blocking normal boot now ....

I never used BiosBlockIO booting, so I can’t tell you if this may be the problem.
You can try my Clover files posted here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/319980-overclocking-6-core-cpu-on-ga-ex58-ud5/?tab=comments#comment-2345859

Edited by Emilo

On 12/23/2018 at 1:27 PM, @ROBASEFR said:

Helle there,

Question:

I updated with 4813 available on SourceForge and it worked for me. It apparently was an issue with how is was built. Something to do with Xcode 10.

I always install with BiosBlockIO and have no issues.

I only install FSInject-64.efi, HFSPlus-64.efi, SMCHelper-64.efi since I do not currently use APFS formatted drives.

Edited by pkdesign

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, anybody out there? :lol:

I know I am really late to this party, but I got a wild notion to build my own DSDT after running one from MacMan's database successfully for a decade. I know, I have too much time on my hands!

I got most of the way through and it seems everything is working fine including PM even though AppleLPC does not load ( I check via System Profiler). BUT, if I try to add relevant code to the PX40 section as it outlined in #9 of original post, I get a whole slew of errors. I am trying to use the version for 10.8.5 or newer.

I obtained my DSDT using F4 in Clover. I then used patches from Olarila's patch database. Then I only needed to do fix 1A and 1B and edit layout number for audio.

DSDT Copy works fine

DSDT02 has compilation errors

IOReg also attached

I hope someone can point me to a fix. I don’t want to use anyone else DSDT BTW, the whole point is to fix mine.

Thanks!

DSDT copy.dsl

DSDT02.dsl

Mac Pro.ioreg

1 hour ago, pkdesign said:

Howdy, anybody out there? :lol:

I know I am really late to this party, but I got a wild notion to build my own DSDT after running one from MacMan's database successfully for a decade. I know, I have too much time on my hands!

I got most of the way through and it seems everything is working fine including PM even though AppleLPC does not load ( I check via System Profiler). BUT, if I try to add relevant code to the PX40 section as it outlined in #9 of original post, I get a whole slew of errors. I am trying to use the version for 10.8.5 or newer.

I obtained my DSDT using F4 in Clover. I then used patches from Olarila's patch database. Then I only needed to do fix 1A and 1B and edit layout number for audio.

I hope someone can point me to a fix. I don’t want to use anyone else DSDT BTW, the whole point is to fix mine.

Thanks!

Attached is my own DSDT, which I extracted from GA-EX58-UD5 F13 BIOS and applied all d00d’s patches from original post.

Using MaciASL, you can open my DSDT in separate window next to yours, Find/Compare and Copy/Paste appropriate sections  directly.
If MaciASL refuses to compile edited file, save it as Disassembled ASL and then compile it using iASLMe version 1.2.

DSDT.aml

Edited by Emilo

22 hours ago, Emilo said:

Attached is my own DSDT, which I extracted from GA-EX58-UD5 F13 BIOS and applied all d00d’s patches from original post.

Using MaciASL, you can open my DSDT in separate window next to yours, Find/Compare and Copy/Paste appropriate sections  directly.
If MaciASL refuses to compile edited file, save it as Disassembled ASL and then compile it using iASLMe version 1.2.

DSDT.aml

Thanks Emilo. I decided to start with d00d's DSDT for my motherboard and compare your file with his. I think by comparing and copy/pasting newer edits, I have been able to edit a better DSDT that I was using. I wanted to start from scratch but that was just too much.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, pkdesign said:

Thanks Emilo. I decided to start with d00d's DSDT for my motherboard and compare your file with his. I think by comparing and copy/pasting newer edits, I have been able to edit a better DSDT that I was using. I wanted to start from scratch but that was just too much.

Attached is DSDT extracted from GA-EX58-UD4P F13 BIOS and has all d00d's patches applied.

Rename it to DSDT.aml and see if it works for you.

Note: Except AZAL to HDEF I kept all other device names unchanged in this DSDT, so if you look for Device (IDE1) it will show as Device (SATA) and Device (PRIM) will show as Device (PRT0) ...etc

Also, this DSDT contains Device (LAN0) fix, so make sure to uncheck FixLAN option in Clover, or remove Device (LAN0) section from DSDT.

GA-EX58-UD4P-F13-Fixed.aml

Edited by Emilo
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Emilo said:

Attached is DSDT extracted from GA-EX58-UD4P F13 BIOS and has all d00d's patches applied.

Rename it to DSDT.aml and see if it works for you.

Note: I kept original device names in this DSDT, so if you look for Device (IDE1) it will show as Device (SATA) and Device (PRIM) will show as Device (PRT0)

Also, this DSDT contains Device (LAN0) fix, so make sure to uncheck FixLAN option in Clover, or remove Device (LAN0) section from DSDT.

GA-EX58-UD4P-F13-Fixed.aml

Oh, thanks. I might try this as well although I am very happy with the last edit. My PM has been awesome.

Any reason you didn’t change PRIM or IDE1? Does it matter?

I also see that in this edit of the DSDT you changed PX40 to LPCB. Again is there any difference?

I think because I use a third party NIC card (to have native Marvell controller) the LAN0 fixes never work.

1 hour ago, pkdesign said:

Oh, thanks. I might try this as well although I am very happy with the last edit. My PM has been awesome.

Any reason you didn’t change PRIM or IDE1? Does it matter?

I also see that in this edit of the DSDT you changed PX40 to LPCB. Again is there any difference?

I think because I use a third party NIC card (to have native Marvell controller) the LAN0 fixes never work.

I have no way to test edited DSDT, so I  decided to only rename mandatory AZAL to HDEF and keep all other device names untouched.

I am not sure if changing devices names will make any difference in OSX behavior. It is something that you need to test on your own.

Edited by Emilo

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to install Mojave 10.14 on old motherboard GA-X58A-UD5 using another MAC following these steps:

1) Connect a SSD to an enclosure and connect to another MAC computer (it will show up as External disk) format as APFS using Disk Utility

2) Download (Install macOS Mojave.app) from App Store and double click to install Mojave on External SSD

3) While still on another MAC computer, install Clover_v2.4k_r4586-Legacy.pkg (download here) to same SSD

4) Mount EFI Partition using Clover Configurator and add DSDT-GA-X58A-UD5-2.0-FB.aml (from DSTD database link here) to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

5) Install USBInjectAll using Clover Configurator > Kext Installer > 10.14

6) Disconnect SSD from working MAC to your MAC with GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard or similar

FYI: I'm using XFX Radeon RX 580 video card which works OOB in High Sierra & Mojave via DP to MDP adapter (dual monitors).

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by onastvar