[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

New 10.6.7 (10J846) + AppleHDA.kext 1.9.9f12 bin patched

- follow the suggestions from post #199

- if you used the previous update 10.6.7 (10J842) then use the reversioner first, if you didn't then just install the update

Beware that is a beta update!

Mac_OS_X_10_6_7_Build_10J846_Combo_Update_Reversioner___Demonoid.me___4384856.8682.torrent.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New 10.6.7 10J858 Delta Update

Needs 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 (previous build) (if updating from a previous build of 10.6.7 use the reversioner first)

(no need for audio fix)

And a newer revision of Chameleon v2 > Chameleon v2 RC5 r747 Easy install!

Edit:

And the Combo Update too + audio fix (same version 1.9.9f12)

mac_os_x_10.6.7_build_10j858_delta_update__reversioner.dmg.torrent.zip

Chameleon_v2.0_RC5_r747.zip

Update_MacOS_X_10.6.7_build_10j858.torrent.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 2 months later...

How to install Lion DP1 or DP2 if you already have Snow Leopard installed, easy way:

1. Prepare in Disk Utility two spare partitions on the same hdd with Snow Leopard (GUID partition table) or a whole hdd

- one 10GB and the other one for Lion at least 10GB also

2. You need to install a boot loader that boots Lion and Snow Leopard - booter in the pack, easy install!

- install it on the Snow Leopard partition

3. Delete the Extra folder from root partition and replace it with the one in the pack

- it contains a dsdt.aml file that was generated with DSDT patcher and applied the "orange icon" fix + ALC889 patch

- for audio (ALCHDA.kext + LegacyALC889.kext, no need for AppleHDA.kext here) to work, EDIT! in both Snow and Lion, it needs the ALC889 patch in the dsdt.aml file

Preparation of the Lion install "disk" (on the 10GB partition):

- in Snow Leopard

1. Install Pathfinder (this is an enhanced Finder App)

2. Double click the Lion dmg file to mount it

3. Enable invisible files to be shown, in Pathfinder R. click-Show View Options-check Show Invisibles

4. Navigate to the mounted Lion dmg and drag BaseSystem.dmg to Documents Folder

5. Now in Pathfinder Navigate to BaseSystem.dmg in Documents and R. click, uncheck Invisible so the item will not have a invisible flag!

6. In Disk Utilty select your hard drive from the left, click on the Restore Tab and for the Source you will choose the BaseSystem.dmg in Documents (must not be invisible). Drag your new Lion Install partition from the list on the left into the Destination Slot (make sure Erase Destination & Replace is checked). Then Restore

7. Once the dmg has been restored, navigate to System/Installation/ in your new Lion Install partition (which should now be Mac OS X Base System) and delete the Packages Alias

8. Copy Packages Folder from the Lion Image to your new Mac OS X Base System Partition to /System/Installation using Pathfinder ... keep that invisible flag (!)

9. Reboot and boot in Lion Install partition

10. Install Lion to the other partition you already prepared (at least 10GB)

After installation, boot in Lion and install the kext for lan EDIT! and ALCHDA.kext with Kext Utility

!!ALCHDA.kext must be in S/L/E and not in E/E like in the first pack; i'll add the correct pack!!

pack.zip

correct_pack.zip

• Like 1

User 01,

Very good!

I Think I will wait a little bit for the release of the retail Lion.

I am thinking about upgrading my computer. My geekbech is almost 10000, and when I bought the computer, it was close to a Mac Pro. I think I want to upgrade and get at least 20000 points at geekbench.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What about 10.6.8?

If you've followed this thread periodically, you had been found out that i did started to post about 10.6.8 first beta build, but i guess the "big brother" here decided that that was not right or something and deleted my posts. So, as a result i'm not going to post anything anymore (either is for a beta or an official release), sorry.

User01,

Maybe your posts were deleted by a bug or something.

Are you going to post in another thread?

I think you are the main reference in this thread, so I would be glad to keep seeing your posts. They helped a lot. (Give Peace a Chance.)

Btw, I upgraded to 10.6.8, delta update, and used the AppleHDA.kext from patched to 10.6.7, via KU. The only problem is the display mirror that is not working. It was working under 10.6.7.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Summarizing all this thread into 3 simple guides(tutorials). [The guides are already here, i just revised them a little, to get the focus in just one place.]

1. Retail Mac OS X 10.6 install

2. Retail Mac OS X 10.7 install

3. Creating a dsdt file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMBZ87AL

(reminder: use BetterZip to unpack in OS X)

("Giving peace a chance.")

alternative link: http://dl.dropbox.co...project%20x.zip

alternative link cd-boot snow leo: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46944049/CD_BOOT_SNOW_LEOPARD.iso.zip

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Did you try 10.7.2?

Yes.

My "files". (check pack)

dsdt > Bios 5561

Chameleon > v2.1svn r1629VS - Use Champlist

Extract and patch your own dsdt! Use the "3kexts" and remove any dsdt.aml (if any)!!! - Use DSDT Editor (0.6), 0.7 gives an error on compile. My patches = "Patches" folder.

Enjoy!

> for 0e 0w 0r - use this patch too (dsdt) (see Patches below)

post-159649-1319083747_thumb.png

My_files_10.7.2.zip

Patches.zip

• 1 month later...

10.7.3 11D24 and audio 2.1.7

1. works with LegacyALC889.kext and audio patch in dsdt.aml file

---

EDIT! (ignore this, is not working, improperly patched)

2. ("full") works with audio patch in dsdt.aml file (no need for LegacyALC889.kext) (included the Info.plist also)

---

3. if you want to patch it yourself in the future

Just a reminder:

If you want to UseKernelCache=Yes (speed up the boot process), and lose the E/E folder:

- boot normally

- install the 2 kexts from E/E to S/L/E (fakesmc.kext and LegacyALC889.kext (---EDIT! ignore(if using the file from step 2, skip this kext)ignore---); or others, if you use them from E/E) with Kext Utility or similar (Repair Permissions and Cache)

- remove the E/E folder

- edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist with

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

- reboot

Enjoy!

EDIT: added the correct pack! (and a more proper smbios.plist, if you need one)

files.zip

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

correct (pack) files.zip

smbios.plist.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi User_01

after i updated to 10.7 i have used your dsdt and kexts, and am using them now in 10.8 also.

But i was wondering if you have optical SPIDF out working at you...

I have moved around and have connected my hack to my receiver over optical cable but i dont get any sound there. I had it working with my old DSDT in 10.6 but was not able to get it to do what i wanted in 10.7 and 10.8 :(

Summarizing all this thread into 3 simple guides(tutorials). [The guides are already here, i just revised them a little, to get the focus in just one place.]

1. Retail Mac OS X 10.6 install

2. Retail Mac OS X 10.7 install

3. Creating a dsdt file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMBZ87AL

(reminder: use BetterZip to unpack in OS X)

("Giving peace a chance.")

alternative link: http://dl.dropbox.co...project%20x.zip

alternative link cd-boot snow leo: http://dl.dropbox.co...LEOPARD.iso.zip

Hi,

I have followed your perfect projectx instructions and finally i managed to boot osx10.6.

However, the bootloader made some problems for me.

The problem was a loop of restarts after the bios screen.

After disabling Cores - intel speedstep tech- VT and enabling AHCI finally Bootcd worked and installed retail MacosX 10.6.

But some how installation freeze multiple times at `28 minutes remaining`.

After i used -x and busratio=20 (dont now the function i tried all possible combinations) (I think -x is safe mode) finally OSx booted as in your guide.

After hundreds of kernel panics and unsuccessful installation tries finally i had a working osx. Thanks for your guide. Perfect job.

My goal is to have Lion 10.7.2 with QE/CI. I think it is possible with ATI 6870.

I have some problems by following your guide after that point.

At 15. Step i installed Chameleon on first partition and

\Copy the content of the Extra folder, from needed files folder to the Extra folder on root (root -(where Mac OS X is installed)- partition), just copy it there/

However there is no Extra folder in needed files folders (There is Extensions Folder)

The extra folder is in SnowLeopard/pack1065/extra. Should i copy the Extensions folder to root/system/extensions?

What is this 1065 folder and (it is an update i think) and how to install these?

I`m stuck at this point.

Some how i installed ethernet and sound using kext helper.

My questions are:

What is the correct BIOS settings

Any info for the Ati HD 6870 Card installation with QE/CI

At step 17. Update - via official apple software update? (I did so and system never restarted again?)

Thanks for your help.

Hi User_01

after i updated to 10.7 i have used your dsdt and kexts, and am using them now in 10.8 also.

But i was wondering if you have optical SPIDF out working at you...

I have moved around and have connected my hack to my receiver over optical cable but i dont get any sound there. I had it working with my old DSDT in 10.6 but was not able to get it to do what i wanted in 10.7 and 10.8 :(

I'm didn't test it, because i don't use it (not really sure it works). With what did you extract the old dsdt file and what patches were applied to it? What was the "combo" you used for audio with that dsdt (kexts)?

Hi,

I have followed your perfect projectx instructions and finally i managed to boot osx10.6.

However, the bootloader made some problems for me.

The problem was a loop of restarts after the bios screen.

After disabling Cores - intel speedstep tech- VT and enabling AHCI finally Bootcd worked and installed retail MacosX 10.6.

But some how installation freeze multiple times at `28 minutes remaining`.

After i used -x and busratio=20 (dont now the function i tried all possible combinations) (I think -x is safe mode) finally OSx booted as in your guide.

After hundreds of kernel panics and unsuccessful installation tries finally i had a working osx. Thanks for your guide. Perfect job.

My goal is to have Lion 10.7.2 with QE/CI. I think it is possible with ATI 6870.

I have some problems by following your guide after that point.

At 15. Step i installed Chameleon on first partition and

\Copy the content of the Extra folder, from needed files folder to the Extra folder on root (root -(where Mac OS X is installed)- partition), just copy it there/

However there is no Extra folder in needed files folders (There is Extensions Folder)

The extra folder is in SnowLeopard/pack1065/extra. Should i copy the Extensions folder to root/system/extensions?

What is this 1065 folder and (it is an update i think) and how to install these?

I`m stuck at this point.

Some how i installed ethernet and sound using kext helper.

My questions are:

What is the correct BIOS settings

Any info for the Ati HD 6870 Card installation with QE/CI

At step 17. Update - via official apple software update? (I did so and system never restarted again?)

Thanks for your help.

I guess you got confused because of this: when i posted the "files", the megaupload site worked. I "explained" what "needed files" were at the end of the tutorial:

2. needed files > http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWBOWW0R OR http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U1656VAJ first link is the 1064pack and the second one is for 1065pack. Both are needed files! I kept the "needed files" name in tutorial, not reffering to the needed files pack (old pack) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFU3UXOX , used here: "To generate your ... "

1064pack and the newer one 1065pack were created at 10.6.4 update and respective 10.6.5 update point in time. There was no need for others till 10.6.8 update.

Settings: default with AHCI enabled.

Always better to extract and patch your own dsdt file! since i see you got a different version of i7 (that matters)

Video: try GraphicsEnabler=Yes or without it; should work OOB with 10.6.8 or 10.7.x

I'm didn't test it, because i don't use it (not really sure it works). With what did you extract the old dsdt file and what patches were applied to it? What was the "combo" you used for audio with that dsdt (kexts)?

When i get home i can send the old dsdt and the old legacy kext i used. It do also have the marvell esata working in raid mode and where you have disablet the hotswap on the onboard sata ports to get them to show as internal the legacy audio kext was also a injector for changing the icon on the drives. but i will pm you a link here later on if that is ok.. :)

Hi again.

On my last post i said that the system never started again. This was wrong. Somehow system booted normally ending up with a blank No signal screen. When pushing the power button, system funs stoped. At the second push magically and instantly snow leopard come to screen :)

After updating officially with software update to 10.6.8 i lost my sound setup. However the ati card began to work like a charm with QE/CI, iworks work now.

I installed voodoo package and repaired the sound problem.

But bootloader have some problems. it never booted macosx. I must use the bootCD inorder to boot in to the Macos.

And I cant change the Bios settings.

Every little change makes the system to fail.

I have One core, No ht, no intel speed step :(

What i dont understand is the BootCD:

Why it is not booted with default bios settings? (with ahci default is ide)

My bios version is 5529

It is strange, Should i update my bios?

now my plan is to upgrade to Lion 10.7.2