[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

Thank You! I'll try all that stuff in a moment. One more simple question. As I know, NullCPU.... does the same job as Disabler.kext by Netkas. Can I use Disabler instead of Null..? (As I know Disabler is little better that old Null..)

Yes, that will do, if it blocks the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. BUT be careful where you get it from since there's also a kext out there named Disabler.kext that does completely something else, therefore if you use it you'll get nothing more or less then a kernel panic. Here's the one i'm talking about:

http://www.kexts.com/view/11-nvidia_-_mous...;quot;_x64.html

- i guess there's no need for this anymore in 10.6.4 (better nvidia drivers)

- but the NUll kext does its job very well, i'd suggest sticking with it, but hey, your choice

Enjoy your Hac Pro!

I could not seem to find a lin to DSDT patcher at page 4, so I downoaded this one:

(Cant post link.. Weard.) "[Mac OSx86] DSDT Patcher GUI"

I guess it's the same were taling about :)

1) Btw: Are all Your provided kexts compatible with x64 architecture?

2) Now I still don't quite understand. Is it matter where I put that patcher GUI? When i open it, i should just select OS and press RUN? Nothing else? I don't need to include kexts in a process? Like compiling FROM them or something..? I just don't quite understand how can some one generated file from nowhere replace almost all kexts..

3) I put some of the kexts inside extensions folder. after installed chameleon. restarted, ir loaded them, but then started writing errors, about Disabler and openhaltrestart. I figure thats because of x64. but it still booted, even with AppleCPU... Changed kernel to 32, no errors, but normal restart still not work. Could You tell me how to fix restart and shutdown?

Come on dude, don't be lazy!

-link 3 new lan kext, new sleep enabler kext

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFU3UXOX

- patcher and kexts, if you don't have a dsdt file yet

- if you don't use VoodooHDA.kext for audio, you don't need to do the sleepwatcher "thing"

-files including a dsdt file and AppleHDA.kext for audio from 10.6.4

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWBOWW0R

All files work in 32/64 bit and are up to date (except the VoodooHDA.kext, but newer versions prove to not work anyway, this does).

The files that are in both packs (from both links) that are duplicates are the same.

Yes, just run the patcher and choose only where to apply, Darwin and watch if there are any errors, then go to root partition in finder, copy the file dsdt.aml to Extra and then delete it. It generates the file by extracting the dsl and then compile it to a dsdt.aml file. In lame words it makes your bios more mac friendly. It (patcher) doesn't use any kext, it eliminates the need for them. Since it fixes the restart/shut down problem, let's the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to load, therefor your cpu can run as it suppose to run full hyper-threading, all cores enabled (virtuals too), c-states, etc, and other fixes too. If you want to edit further the dsdt.aml file you can use a good editor, and know what you're doing, or DSDTSE or other dsdt extractors and editors.

- it doesn't matter where you put the dsdt patcher

- i forgot to mention that the fakesmc.kext from link 2 it further modified (a file in it is edited, you can read at page 6 post #116) to work with that smbios.plist from the pack (Mac Pro 4,1) and show in System Profiler the right SMC Version 1.39f5

1) I opened patcher, selected OSX, pressed RUN, and it generated that and dsdt.aml and couple more in SESIONS, not in root.

[EDIT!: I guess i figured out how to make that DSDT work. I forgot to select what to patch, now i selected Macintosh HD. It made new session directory with many files, and one dsdt.aml in root of volume. so i did how You said, and copied it to Extra. Now reboot/shut down work great.] But i thought that performance will boost a litte more, but it stayed the same or less with DSDT (7821 Geekbench).

2) I don't need sound, couse i'm making system for music creation, and a guy has external audio interface. I think I don't need sleep enabler too, because i want that system to be updatable any time easily, and the person whos it will be, wont be able to replace kext himself.

So what kexts Do I need to leave/put in Extensions for everything else to work? Just fakesSMC 2.5?; Disabler, and IOAHCIBlock..?

3) btw, are you getting those weird couple gliches on chameleon promt, when timeout goes by it stucks couple times.? Make tmeout like 3-5 secs or more, and tell me if You got them too. Couse it does the same on like 3 bootloaders.. so i guess its not bootloader fault. (My other system, that You see at bottom here works perfectly (mastered it...) with no gliches anywhere, and same RC4 official bootloader).

4) I have put those lines:

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1793</string>

at smbios, but now it write 2.70 GHz Unknown insted of Xeon or i7.

EDIT!: I found useful topic with that info:

You can however, attempt to manually specify your CPU type by editing smbios.plist. Here is what you should put in for each CPU:

Core 2 Quad & Quad Extreme & Core i7 & Core i5:

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1281</string>

Core 2 Duo:

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>769</string>

Core 2 Solo:

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>257</string>

There are other values available for a Core (1) Solo and Core (1) Duo, however I do not know the values as these CPUs are rare and I don't have an ioreg output from them. Processors that Apple do not support (i.e. Pentium 4, AMD, Pentium D) are NOT SUPPORTED

IF you have a Core i7 or Core i5 you can get System Profiler to show your Interconnect Speed. This is done by editing your smbios.plist with an additional value (not this is not injected automatically at boot):

<key>SMbusspeed</key>

<string>4800</string>

Where 4800 will show 4.8GT/s, your interconnect speed (or something like that). If you use the value 0, your Inter Connect speed will show up as Bus Speed. If you have a Core 2 Duo or Quad...and you have this value in your smbios.plist, you should either remove it or set it to 0.

I changed cputype to that one, and now it shows not Unknown, but Intel Xeon. I guess its because chameleon inserts that line instead of any other. Maybe You know how to turn that chameleon function off, that it could show i7 instead of Xeon?

In Extra/Extensions folder you only need fakesmc.kext and IOAHCIBlockStoargeInjector.kext (and not even this one) with a proper dsdt.aml file. (to be able to boot the system at full "power")

No glitches. I use AsereBLN v1.1.9, the best and "cleanest" until now. Do you use a custom theme that loads at startup?

What model is your cpu exactly?

The system Im making is i7-920. I use default chameleon theme at all my systems that I made. And this is the first one with gliches. Just with DX58SO mainboard.

EDIT!: Same one or two gliches (timeout line stops for a sec) with AsereBLN bootloader

Other thing. I just installed IntelE1000e.kext and t seems to work fine. But which one do You recommend? That one or Intel82566MM?

Dude, AsereBLN booter doesn't have any embedded theme, so there's no time bar, just a countdown depending on your Timeout settings, no graphics, no anything else, unless you set a custom theme. Maybe it's your video, i don't know.

About your cpu, i don't know what files did you used and edited yourself or where you get them from (i'm not saying this is a bad thing or anything); with the ones in the two links above all it's working on my system (signature). Cpu reports like this, - see below -

- both are good (lan kexts), first is newer; there is one more i'll post it a few seconds

post-159649-1287933331_thumb.png

Do You ever sleep? :)

Im using the same interface as it was when chameleon became GUI. The green chameleon at the top, and apple with timeline in the middle. And that timeline stops few times. Thats weird for me, couse it never happened before.

What about RC5 570? If I install that one, will i be needing dsdt? or it just fixes few smbios reated things like corrects CPU model? (Whick is weird couse I just installed it, and it wrote correct name while bootg, but in about this mac it says Unknown...)

Damn it. I just can't seem to get to show the right CPU (Core i7) at About this mac.. Tred different bootloaders, tried removing strings from smbios, tried writing strings.. What is Your exact system? Whats kexts are at Yours Extension folder, and could post your current smbios. What else might be different?

Thanks!

And I think Youd ike to know that just if I remove openhaltrestart out of extensions, the reboot/shutdown problem appears again.. DSDT does not do the job.

(And I finaly found openhaltrestart for x64..) Cant find disabler for x64 though, so using Null..

Just updated to 10.6.4. Benchmark went down for 400 ..

Dude...Is this really possible? I could have done this a dozen times by now. I'm starting to not understand you really.

ONCE AGAIN

- my system is in my signature

- the files that i'm using right now are all from this pack here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWBOWW0R

--except i have a new dsdt file (page 8 post #145) that doesn't require the need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext anymore; is the same as in the pack but edited a little bit further--

- bios version 5456

Is that hard to use the files from this link, remove the dsdt file from the pack, use the Null... .kext and OpenHalt... .kext (which is 32/64 bit compatible) from this pack

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFU3UXOX

and then use the dsdt patcher, also in this pack, then remove them (the 2 kexts) and be a happy person

What are you trying to do? Invent a super wacky way to install snow on this mobo? If the answer is yes, and you're not happy listen to other people that done this and tested the fully working installation method, then i guess i could not (i didn't say don't want to) help you anymore.

Dude. Chillax.. The point is that I AM using the files that You provided, just found OpenHaltRestart by myself. And I did do the DSDT stuff (it helps me to reboot and shut down.. :) ) But still I cant get to make show i7 in about mac. Tried various strings, and without them. nothing. The best i made is Intel Xeon.. But nevermind. It seems that everything is working pretty normal (although the score is pretty low - ±7400 after updating, ±7800 before). And those gliches at timeline are bothering me.. But what you gonna do. I have to give the system tomorow.. So i Guess its finished :)

And THANK YOU for all support ;)

P.S. Always after made the system, I check the console to see if there arent any errors. Now I have:

2010-10-25 03:04:54 [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.systempreferences[166] Mon Oct 25 03:04:54 Oleg.local System Preferences[166] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetNumberOfDisplayModes

Could You see if You have the same ocasional error? And maybe know how to fix it? Because its bothering me too..

Im like pedant at systems :)

Anyone getting mouse cursor HANG at this or similar system? It hangs, and You have to reset computer manually.

I didn't noticed that problem at system that I made to other person (he noticed), but I've noticed similar stuff goin' on at my system (look signature). Could it be update problems? Or something?

Client said, thats not the computer hang (as we thought), but just mouse/USB, because when he changes the mouse USB port to other (not close to first one), the mouse works again, without restarting. Anyone has similar problem?

same as post #135

version 10.6.5 10H568 1.9.9f12

Hi, i'm new in this forum, i have almost the same sepcs in my machine than User_01 (DX58SO, i7 930, 6Gb ram, 2 x 1Tb Sata, 9800gt 1Gb.), i have read the 9 pages of this topic several times until finally i got this to work. :) .

The only issue is that, when i install this update (from 10.6.5 working fine to 10.6.5 10H568) the system boots ok but when the desktop comes on, i can't do anything at all, the machine freezes, if a hit the power button the machine goes to sleep, and if i hit any key or the power button again, it turns on again and displays the desktop, but still can't do nothing. i've restarted many times but get the same problem.

What it could be the problem? Should i just stay with 10.6.5 and ignore this update? What exactly is this update anyway?

Thanks for your help, and thanks for this excellent tutorial.

Same as post #135

10.6.5 10H574 FINAL BUILD AppleHDA.kext 1.9.9f12 binary patched

To update to 10.6.5 from 10.6 through 10.6.4 or from a previous beta build of 10.6.5 just hit Software Update, then fix your audio as at post #135

Manually Update:

To update manually from 10.6 through 10.6.3 install the 10.6.5 Combo Update from Apple's site

To update manually from 10.6.4 or a previous beta build of 10.6.5 install the 10.6.5 Delta Update from Apple's site

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Hi, i'm new in this forum, i have almost the same sepcs in my machine than User_01 (DX58SO, i7 930, 6Gb ram, 2 x 1Tb Sata, 9800gt 1Gb.), i have read the 9 pages of this topic several times until finally i got this to work. :) .

The only issue is that, when i install this update (from 10.6.5 working fine to 10.6.5 10H568) the system boots ok but when the desktop comes on, i can't do anything at all, the machine freezes, if a hit the power button the machine goes to sleep, and if i hit any key or the power button again, it turns on again and displays the desktop, but still can't do nothing. i've restarted many times but get the same problem.

What it could be the problem? Should i just stay with 10.6.5 and ignore this update? What exactly is this update anyway?

Thanks for your help, and thanks for this excellent tutorial.

The only issue is that, when i install this update (from 10.6.5 working fine to 10.6.5 10H568)

What do you mean by this? You have updated from another beta build of 10.6.5 (which one, if this is the case?) or you meant 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 10H568?

All the previous builds of 10.6.5 except 10H574 (which is the final build) are betas.

What was your method of installation?

The only issue is that, when i install this update (from 10.6.5 working fine to 10.6.5 10H568)

What do you mean by this? You have updated from another beta build of 10.6.5 (which one, if this is the case?) or you meant 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 10H568?

All the previous builds of 10.6.5 except 10H574 (which is the final build) are betas.

What was your method of installation?

I think i'm confused about the updates to 10.6.5. I downloaded the update: "mac_os_x_10.6.5_10h568_combo_updaterreversioner.dmg" and when a mount the .dmg inside is another .dmg, so i mounted that and installed the update "MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.5.pkg" that updated the system from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 and everything works fine. Then i tried to install the "Reversioner10H568Client.pkg" (here i think that was my mistake) and when rebooting the problem of "freezing" appears.

So, i'm confused about this updates, right now i have the system running 100% with 10.6.5 (don't know the build, in the about this mac it shows "Version 10.6.5" nothing more. Updated with the combo10.6.5.pkg. What should i do to update to the final build? (since you posted it now) or i updated in the wrong way in the first time?

I installed all the thing whit the retail DVD (snow leopard 10.6.3), made my own dsdt.aml file with the patcher, used EFI studio for the video card, AppleHDA.kext, AppleIntel8256X.kext, AsereBLN-1.1.9, the smbios.plist from your 1064pack, and in extensions i have fakesmc, HDAEnabler, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and LegacyHDA.

Before i put the kext's with KU i did the updates from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 using the file from the site of Apple, then updated to 10.6.5 like i described before, installed AppleHDA.kext and Intel8256.kext, and everything works fine, sleep, sound after wake up, video, etc.

Sorry if my english is not the best, it isn't my first language :(

No lucky with 10.6.5

Every method results in a big fail.

My computer was working fine with

Snow 10.6.4

dsdt.aml

E/E:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

S/L/E:

Intel82566MM.kext

Patched AppleHDA.kext

I updated to 10.6.5 and changed the AppleHDA.kext but now the systems freezes, KP when sleep. In sum it is not working properly. I tried the other alternative:

E/E:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

S/L/E:

Intel82566MM.kext

vanilla AppleHDA.lext

VoodooHDA.kext

And again, The system KP when I put to sleep. It is not functional. I think the best I can do is to return to 10.6.4 and wait for a solution.

Same as post #135

10.6.5 10H574 FINAL BUILD AppleHDA.kext 1.9.9f12 binary patched

To update to 10.6.5 from 10.6 through 10.6.4 or from a previous beta build of 10.6.5 just hit Software Update, then fix your audio as at post #135

Manually Update:

To update manually from 10.6 through 10.6.3 install the 10.6.5 Combo Update from Apple's site

To update manually from 10.6.4 or a previous beta build of 10.6.5 install the 10.6.5 Delta Update from Apple's site

Which kexts are you using?

I think i'm confused about the updates to 10.6.5. I downloaded the update: "mac_os_x_10.6.5_10h568_combo_updaterreversioner.dmg" and when a mount the .dmg inside is another .dmg, so i mounted that and installed the update "MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.5.pkg" that updated the system from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 and everything works fine. Then i tried to install the "Reversioner10H568Client.pkg" (here i think that was my mistake) and when rebooting the problem of "freezing" appears.

So, i'm confused about this updates, right now i have the system running 100% with 10.6.5 (don't know the build, in the about this mac it shows "Version 10.6.5" nothing more. Updated with the combo10.6.5.pkg. What should i do to update to the final build? (since you posted it now) or i updated in the wrong way in the first time?

I installed all the thing whit the retail DVD (snow leopard 10.6.3), made my own dsdt.aml file with the patcher, used EFI studio for the video card, AppleHDA.kext, AppleIntel8256X.kext, AsereBLN-1.1.9, the smbios.plist from your 1064pack, and in extensions i have fakesmc, HDAEnabler, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and LegacyHDA.

Before i put the kext's with KU i did the updates from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 using the file from the site of Apple, then updated to 10.6.5 like i described before, installed AppleHDA.kext and Intel8256.kext, and everything works fine, sleep, sound after wake up, video, etc.

Sorry if my english is not the best, it isn't my first language :)

Everything you've described is okay, except when you update from a beta to another beta you need to use the reversioner from the beta you are on and then immediately install the new beta or go back to the latest official version before the update. That was the mistake, like you said. To see the build, go in System Profiler>Software and it's there.

Updated with the combo10.6.5.pkg. Here, you did the update again or you just installed 10.6.5 10H568 combo, did the reversioner, and that's it; or you installed the 10.6.5 10H568 combo again, after the reversioner?

Everything else i see is alright from your description.

Now, to go to the latest build of 10.6.5 which is 10H574:

1. If you did the 10.6.5 10H568 combo update and then the reversioner, go to Apple's site and download and install the 10.6.5 combo update, then fix your audio from here

2. If you did the 10.6.5 10H568 combo update, did the reversioner, updated again with 10.6.5 10H58 combo update, go to Apple's site download and install the 10.6.5 combo update, then fix your audio from here

IF you already did the update from Software Update to the latest build of 10.6.5 (10H574) (here is installed just the delta update), then don't worry and go to Apple's site download and install the 10.6.5 combo update, the fix your audio from here

Everything you've described is okay, except when you update from a beta to another beta you need to use the reversioner from the beta you are on and then immediately install the new beta or go back to the latest official version before the update. That was the mistake, like you said. To see the build, go in System Profiler>Software and it's there.

Updated with the combo10.6.5.pkg. Here, you did the update again or you just installed 10.6.5 10H568 combo, did the reversioner, and that's it; or you installed the 10.6.5 10H568 combo again, after the reversioner?

Everything else i see is alright from your description.

Now, to go to the latest build of 10.6.5 which is 10H574:

1. If you did the 10.6.5 10H568 combo update and then the reversioner, go to Apple's site and download and install the 10.6.5 combo update, then fix your audio from here

2. If you did the 10.6.5 10H568 combo update, did the reversioner, updated again with 10.6.5 10H58 combo update, go to Apple's site download and install the 10.6.5 combo update, then fix your audio from here

IF you already did the update from Software Update to the latest build of 10.6.5 (10H574) (here is installed just the delta update), then don't worry and go to Apple's site download and install the 10.6.5 combo update, the fix your audio from here

I just did the combo10.6.5.pkg, and that's it.

Thank you for your help, i think i understand it better now. Right now i'm at work and doesn't have the machine here, when i get home i'll see the build that i have, and post it to see if i can update with the combo or the delta. I already downloaded both updates because here i can download at 2.2Mb/s so takes 10-15 min, while at hombe a have 128kbps and downloading at 15Kb/s it's a really pain in the...

Thanks for your help...