[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

Tutorial page 4!

Read carefully from page 4 to 7!

Yes I had It working with 10.6.3 (Installing). I appreciate your help but My problem is when I update, and configuring a "package" that will let me repeat the process easily from 10.6.3, until the next update that is. I'm sure there will always be hoops that I'll have to jump through but as for now I can live with things the way they are.

To update from 10.6.3 -> to 10.6.4 you just need to use Software Update and you're set. Things used to do that:

1. Bootloader

- page 6 - 4,1 pack

2. Extra folder

- dsdt.aml file - page 6

- com.apple.Boot.plist file - page 5 or the one from "original" location

- smbios.plist file - page 6 - 4,1 pack

- Extensions folder - 5 kexts - one of them the new SleepEnabler.kext - page 6 and 7 - 6 kexts pack

3. System/Library/Extensions

- the new AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.4 - page 6

- lan kext - page 6 - 6 kexts pack

This way you know what you're using!

To update from 10.6.3 -> to 10.6.4 you just need to use Software Update and you're set. Things used to do that:

1. Bootloader

- page 6 - 4,1 pack

2. Extra folder

- dsdt.aml file - page 6

- com.apple.Boot.plist file - page 5 or the one from "original" location

- smbios.plist file - page 6 - 4,1 pack

- Extensions folder - 5 kexts - one of them the new SleepEnabler.kext - page 6 and 7 - 6 kexts pack

3. System/Library/Extensions

- the new AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.4 - page 6

- lan kext - page 6 - 6 kexts pack

This way you know what you're using!

Would you update your tutorial specifically for 10.6.4? Since it is the latest and Its a good method for install but very hard to decipher with all the updates and add ins, anyway like I said your way= no sound or sleep, my way= no sleep. Yes I know its all very simple and I should be able to get this done but with all the "EDIT" posts I've tried what I feel like is a thousand different config. In addition I have a 9600gt that is not on the list. I am using dsdtse to compile and install the dsdt from my board, mainly because I dont know how to use the one in the package you provide. Thanks for all your help.

Warning! Simplified guide to be used for a fresh install. You can use the files from "needed files" folder with an already installed osx, with the condition to remove first any duplicates or same type of files -used for the same purpose-.

TUTORIAL:

1. Get the img (cd-boot) and needed files from the links

2. Burn the img (cd-boot) to a dvd or cd, burn the needed files to another dvd or cd (or write them on a storage device, if you prefer so), burn the dvd5 snow to another dvd (ask for it) or use the retail copy (if you have one, on your own here)

3. Now, if you want to dual boot with windows, you need to make or have already one spare partition (partitioned ntfs). I'll not start teaching you how to do that (google it! and learn)

4. If you don't, and have a whole disk to spare and want to use it to install snow leopard on, skip the step with dual boot (3). When all set, insert the cd-boot and restart the pc or start the pc and insert your cd-boot

5. Wait a few seconds!

6. When chameleon 2 rc3 prompts, eject the cd-boot and now:

6a. --if dual booting, insert the dvd5 snow

6b. --if not, insert the retail copy

7. Wait a few seconds! Press F5 and then boot the dvd (if you want you can boot it with flag "-v", verbose mode)

8. Wait and be patient!

9. When installer screen appears, go to utilities, disk utility and format the partition or whole disk (depends on the 6a 6b case). Install. Be patient!

10. When done, restart! (at the end you'll receive an exclamation mark and a message, ignore and restart, it's all good)

11. Enter boot option menu F10 (right after it restarts)! Press shut down button (so the optical drive lets you eject the snow dvd). Power up! Enter boot option menu again F10. Eject snow dvd and insert cd-boot dvd. Boot optical drive.

12. Boot the partition with mac os x on it. (use "-v" flag again, if you want)

13. You'll not have video, audio, ethernet support; don't worry!

-Don't update yet!-

14. Eject the cd-boot. Insert the dvd or cd with needed files.

15. In this order:

-Install AsereBLN booter

-Copy the content of the Extra folder, from needed files folder to the Extra folder on root  (root -(where mac os x is installed)- partition), just copy it there.

-Install binary patched AppleHDA.kext -remove the vanilla/original one first- and Intel8256X.kext (ethernet), using "Kext Utility" (just put the kext over the KU icon) (the extensions don't work from "Extra" folder)

-Run Kext Utility -double clik on it-

17. Eject the "needed files" dvd and restart.

18. Boot mac os x. Update to 10.6.4 and after.

19. Restart and boot again. That's it!

!!Suggestion: you can print the tutorial before start using it.!!

FILES:

1. cd-boot img

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CI5A6IV0

2. needed files

see below

and link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWBOWW0R

P.S.: If you want to delete a kext, go to root partition-system-library-extensions-move to trash the kext, restart (do a repair permissions from disk utility) (from "Extra" folder the same way). To install to Extra, just put the kext in Extensions folder; to install to s-l-e use KU.

THE END.

-for 1luckysob and others

needed_files.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks user_01 for all your help that is a great guide. So I have tried many different combos withe the appleHDA,LegacyHDA and Enabler kexts and when I update I get no sound, so I ended removing the HDAEnabler.kext from extra's and only installing the VoodooHDA.kext (and IntelE1000e of corse) with kext utility and it works for sound in 10.6.3 and 10.6.4. So I guess my question is should I be installing the kexts I have omitted for other reasons? I have the same sound/mic options either way. The Boot123 version of your install is good but if there are people out there with a functional hack running and you would like a quicker install then mount your install disk head to the "GO TO FOLDER" under GO in the toolbar and type "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" (without the quotes) and hit "Go" you might have to omit /Volumes/ depending on your Mac OS. Find OSInstall.mpkg and click on it. It will let you install MAC OS and all the options with no "Fail to Install" Install the bootloader place the "extras" folder in root and boot.

P.S. Sleep is working perfectly so Thanks again for all your help.

The combo for sound -enabler, legacy and vanilla AppleHDA- worked up to 10.6.2, in 10.6.3,4 you need a binary patched AppleHDA -which i have provided in earlier posts, matching the same version in 10.6.3,4- -is as close as vanilla as possible-. If you want a tutorial for this, so you can do it yourself when updates are coming 10.6.5,x etc, i can post it here. But i keep it simple and just post the kext -AppleHDA- already patched. Or you can use the VoodooHDA kext like you said.

The combo for sound -enabler, legacy and vanilla AppleHDA- worked up to 10.6.2, in 10.6.3,4 you need a binary patched AppleHDA -which i have provided in earlier posts, matching the same version in 10.6.3,4- -is as close as vanilla as possible-. If you want a tutorial for this, so you can do it yourself when updates are coming 10.6.5,x etc, i can post it here. But i keep it simple and just post the kext -AppleHDA- already patched. Or you can use the VoodooHDA kext like you said.

I thought that I tried the binary patched AppleHDA but that might have been one of my earlier attempts, with all the dowloads and installs who knows. I (and many other newbies I'm sure) would like I tutorial If you wouldn't mine providing one. I've been trying to install SL on other boards and this board has by far been the most cooperative and anything that would further my understanding and provide self sufficiency and an ability to help would be a great benefit. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

1. 10.6.5 -10H529- sound; remove SleepEnabler.kext if installing 10.6.5!!!

-AppleHDA.kext-version 1.9.6b5; remove the vanilla one first

2. How to binary patch AppleHDA.kext; use just the first part and use LegacyHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext so it will be as "vanilla" as possible

3. 10.6.5 delta update

10.6.5_ALC889.zip

How_to_patch_AppleHDA.zip

Mac_OS_X_10.6.5__build_10h529__Delta_Update.5788251.TPB.torrent.zip

• 3 weeks later...

To User 01

I was making some tests in my machine with geekbench 64, and it seems that if you don't use the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, then you get a worse benchmark.

I would suggest you to do the same test and post here. For me, the result was:

Benchmark with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext = +-9210 (I dit it several times, and the result was about this)

Benchmark without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext = +-5800

No NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, only dsdt.aml, this is the score...see below...

Try and generate your own dsdt; i see you have a 930 cpu...

Before doing them I used DSDT Patcher, which generated a dsdt.aml, which is located on my root directory.

I am posting three benchmarks.

1)Without NullCpuPowermanagement: 5106

2)With NullCpuPowermanagement: 9307

2)With NullCpuPowermanagement and running kext utility at the same time: 9497

post-507272-1285435348_thumb.png

post-507272-1285435378_thumb.png

post-507272-1285435605_thumb.png

Really strange...i don't know what's making this differences...in bios i have the defaults settings and the version is 5456...

I updated the Bios to 5456 and the problem disappears. Nice insight from you! thanks! I am thinking about buying a wireless card. Do you have any suggestion?

Edit:

Actually, I had to change my smbios.plist file. Otherwise, the problem remains. Now my benchmark is about 9950.

Sorry to butt in on the 10.6.5 discussion but I am trying to get my 3ware 9690SA or 9650se recognized in 10.6.4. The provided code set/Kext from Lsi does not work, Has anyone managed to get this working? I also have the old and new revisions to this board and for some reason I cant get the usb to work properly without disabling "legacy usb" in bios( newest revision ), Latest version on both boards, one works, one dont. Not a huge issue but wondering if anyone else has come across it? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Same as post #135

version 10.6.5 10H555 1.9.9f12

-see below-

User 01,

Do you think we will be lucky with Mac OS X Lion?

If the the bootloader will be able to handel it, then i see why not. All the right hardware are in place: core i7, chipset x58, video cards. We'll have to wait for at least a beta to see. Until then we'll have to stick with snow leo :). There is a torrent with 10.7 but is obviously fake.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

_TorrentMac.RU__Apple.Mac.OS.X.Snow.Leopard.10.6.5.Beta.Build.10H555.Delta.Update.torrent.zip

Hello. I been reading this thread for a while now, and I still dont understand. Other people (in other forums) are saying that this motherboard DOES NOT need DSDT at all, other says that it does.

User_01:

1) Can you simply explain what is DSDT and what it does?

2) Which way is better, to generate that DSDT file by user itself, or use the last one that You provided? And whats the differences? If the first way, then could You make a simple tutorial how to generate that, and integrate that tutorial into MAIN installation tutorial, because I can't understand when should we do that DSDT stuff in a process.

3) Can I use the OFFICIAL Chameleon RC4 boot loader with all this stuff? (I don't like using unofficial stuff from people I don't know).

Thank You.

P.S.: With boot 132 that You provided, I am able to boot just till the install dialog has to apear, but it does not, instead video signal is lost, and PC kinda hangs up.

EDIT: I Am able to boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported (I guess theres no difference of which CD bootloader I'll use, am I right?) I think theres some video enabler problem in Yours boot 132.

P.S. 2: I have one more problem, when I want to shutdown or restart that system, and press appropriate button, it shuts down or restarts just after awhile. Not right away. What could be the problem? And maybe one of Your provided kexts will fix that problem? (Im at stage just after retail installation). Though I know that when i had just installed iAtkos S3, it had rebooted and shut down just fine. So i guess theres some fix for that? And I guess You should know what im taling about and what do I need? At my other system (DP35DP) Im using openhaltrestart, but i guess that wont help here.

Hello. I been reading this thread for a while now, and I still dont understand. Other people (in other forums) are saying that this motherboard DOES NOT need DSDT at all, other says that it does.

User_01:

1) Can you simply explain what is DSDT and what it does?

2) Which way is better, to generate that DSDT file by user itself, or use the last one that You provided? And whats the differences? If the first way, then could You make a simple tutorial how to generate that, and integrate that tutorial into MAIN installation tutorial, because I can't understand when should we do that DSDT stuff in a process.

3) Can I use the OFFICIAL Chameleon RC4 boot loader with all this stuff? (I don't like using unofficial stuff from people I don't know).

Thank You.

P.S.: With boot 132 that You provided, I am able to boot just till the install dialog has to apear, but it does not, instead video signal is lost, and PC kinda hangs up.

EDIT: I Am able to boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported (I guess theres no difference of which CD bootloader I'll use, am I right?) I think theres some video enabler problem in Yours boot 132.

P.S. 2: I have one more problem, when I want to shutdown or restart that system, and press appropriate button, it shuts down or restarts just after awhile. Not right away. What could be the problem? And maybe one of Your provided kexts will fix that problem? (Im at stage just after retail installation). Though I know that when i had just installed iAtkos S3, it had rebooted and shut down just fine. So i guess theres some fix for that? And I guess You should know what im taling about and what do I need? At my other system (DP35DP) Im using openhaltrestart, but i guess that wont help here.

For this motherboard to be able to install and operate mac os x leopard or snow leopard you DON'T necessary need a dsdt.aml file (OR a BIOS mood), BUT with one you can get more closer to a Mac Pro and use as little kexts (kernel extensions) as possible.

TESTED both methods, with or without dsdt file!

1. In simple words, what a dsdt is and does. READ THIS!

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/DSDT

2. The best way is to generate a dsdt.aml file for yourself, because it will be for your specific hardware (your motherboard (bios version), cpu model, amount/type of ram, video card (if you want/can fix this with dsdt also) etc). BUT if the hardwares are similar you can just use one already generated.

I wanted to keep it simple and included a DSDT GUI (graphic user interface) patcher in the MAIN tutorial (which is on page 4), that does all the basic fixes automated and optimizes your system to be able to boot with just

-fakesmc.kext

-IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

then i took it a bit further and fix the orange icon (so you wouldn't be needing the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext either); if you want to do this by yourself on your own dsdt file, i can explain how

3. You can use whatever bootloader you want, all are doing the job

- chameleon v2 rc 3,4,5 , AsereBLN v1.1.9, pc_efi 10.5 10.6, Boot Think v2.4.6 etc

PS1 My cd-boot doesn't have in com.apple.Boot.plist the Graphics Enabler string yes, and doesn't contain a dsdt file either. It's a generic one. Did you try to boot in safe boot -x with it? But if you already managed to install with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] then, as you already said, it pretty much doesn't matter what cd-boot you're using, if it does its job.

PS2 Use a dsdt file and leave out the OpenHaltRestart.kext or similar.

To generate your own dsdt file use the DSDT GUI patcher with this kexts in Extra/Extensions

-fakesmc.kext

-IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - this to be removed if you fix this also; it's not fixed automated by the DSDT GUI patcher

-NullCPUPowerManageent.kext - this to be removed after

-OpenHaltRestar.kext - this to be removed after

-copy the dsdt.aml file from root to Extra folder and delete it after (the one from root)

-then reboot, remove the last 2 kexts, reboot again