What Mac to Get?

12 posts in this topic

My sister just graduated and is now going to college and she is looking for a laptop. she wants a mac but my dad doesnt like mac OS b/c all the software we have is windows and he doesnt want to buy new software. all she has to do is like microsoft office and AIM and that kind of basic stuff. so we decided to go with a mac with the intel processors since those are the only ones that rune windows natively. what would you guys recomend. we dont want to go way over $1000.

thanks

-Korki-

P.S. she really wants a pink laptop. but i dont think theres anyway to change the color. or is there???

Well the only Apple laptop with an Intel chip that is even close to that $1,000, would be the cheapest MacBook. I saw a website where you could change the colour of the MacBook, but I'm not sure if it was a hoax or not.

i recently bought a macbook pro (i know its twice as much as u wanna spend) and it was my first mac. my dad also hated the os and wanted me to run windows, and i bought one right as boot camp was released. i very quickly found out i didnt need to pay for anything i wanted or needed to use in OSX. if you install x11, a tool found on the dvds, you can run openoffice.org2.0 which is an open source alternative to MS office. free and in my opinion much better. adium is a gaim type alternative to aim and runs it very well. ill look into if you can change the color, but the only reason i would see one would use windows on a mac is if they had that one killer app that was windows only, like dx games. but thats not the case with your sister, i would assume.

i would go for the low end macbook. very good processor in it, quite a sexy notebook that shde can take anywhere. notebooks i believe are best for the college student.

I'm suprised everyone is suggesting going with a PC when the starting price of a MacBook is 1049 with education discount. Since this isn't "way over $1000" I would STRONGLY suggest buying one.

I just got one for college with upgrades (2ghz 1gig ram 80 gig hd = $1443). I must say this is one of the few technological devices I've boughten where I actually felt I got MORE for what I paid.

A base model MacBook will be MORE than enough for her needs and can run pages = office, adium = aim which both I think are MUCH better than their windows counterparts.

I think the MacBook is an awesome peice of kit for a student. Its got the simple HW that they need (course depending) and it looks swish in the Uni bar ;)

I think people that say "OS X isnt up to the mark" really havent looked at it. I am of the opinion that OS X is easier, faster, prettier, and generally more stabe than XP. I would always try and reckomend a Mac before a PC for this reason alone.

If the sister is willing to go against the old mans wanting, she can get all the software she could want for OS X. Im sure she wouldnt be putting a legal copy of office on the PC :police: so that can be arranged for the mac.

MacBook is a great choice for the student. Tell her to dump XP and see the future.

Hope she :pirate2:

Or you could get an iBook and just deal with the outdated slowness. A 12" iBook G4 is lighter than a MacBook, by the way.

Also, I don't know how a MacBook would be modded, but with an iBook I know that the top cover is relatively trivial to change the color of (well, it takes elbow grease and the patience of a saint more than anything else). You just need the right kind of screwdriver, some alcohol, a cloth, a toothbrush, and the aforementioned non-physical items. And a long time working at it. But if you do a good repaint job or put sheets of paper underneath the plastic cover carefully, it'll look really pretty.

With a MacBook, you could probably do the same thing, but it probably isn't as simple to take the plastic covers off.