ATI on Snow Leopard

errandwolfe

21 posts in this topic

It is my understanding that the only ATI cards working fully on Snow Leopard are the 4800 series. What about older (computer age speaking) cards like the 2600 series?

Do these work without OpenCL?

Do you get QE/CI? How is the OpenGL performance?

What about dual screens?

If anyone has any answers I would love to hear them.

It is my understanding that the only ATI cards working fully on Snow Leopard are the 4800 series. What about older (computer age speaking) cards like the 2600 series?

Do these work without OpenCL?

Do you get QE/CI? How is the OpenGL performance?

What about dual screens?

If anyone has any answers I would love to hear them.

+1

Okay everyone, please stop putting +1.... When someone has the information they will post it. We are all a very friendly and helpful community here. All you do by adding the +1 is clog people's e-mail boxes that have notification turned on.

Okay everyone, please stop putting +1.... When someone has the information they will post it. We are all a very friendly and helpful community here. All you do by adding the +1 is clog people's e-mail boxes that have notification turned on.

oh do behave ! in-boxes have a handy button labeled 'delete!' :(

I couldn't get to SL installer with my 2600XT. I put in a 9600GT and it works. I still get a KP when installing but that's another matter.....

I got SL to work with my 3650 - no QL, CE.

I'm about to go and buy an nVidia but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

D.

Come on everyone. I don't want this to be a 20 page thread with no actual information. If you can answer the questions specifically posed in the first post please do, if not please don't just ramble on saying that you got this or that to work or not work. Just wait for someone who actually has the answers to give them or start a thread of your own if you really feel like causing unnecessary bloat on the forum.

Come on everyone. I don't want this to be a 20 page thread with no actual information. If you can answer the questions specifically posed in the first post please do, if not please don't just ramble on saying that you got this or that to work or not work. Just wait for someone who actually has the answers to give them or start a thread of your own if you really feel like causing unnecessary bloat on the forum.

pour favour sir http://netkas.org/?p=182

D.

I have SL GM working quite stable using a V5250 (X1600), but no QE/CI yet.

On that note, if anyone has ATIinject working under SL, I'd be very interested. (So far I have only seen downloads for 32-bit ATIinject)

As others have pointed out, there will likely be very little OpenCL support for now on anything except the 48x0 cards - see http://netkas.org/?p=182

I have a 4870 running in snow -32 with aty_init. Performance sucks though, its half of my 3870 under 10.5. Going to try the evo_enabler next. I have my 3870 running with no qe ci under 10.6 by disabling ati2000 and 4800 kexts. I have two 3870s which have been great. Its really painful to have to replace them with something that costs more and gives lower performance. Netkas has been silent on the 3870 issue though he says he is working on a new enabler and trying to figure out the device strings.

I have a 4870 running in snow -32 with aty_init. Performance sucks though, its half of my 3870 under 10.5. Going to try the evo_enabler next. I have my 3870 running with no qe ci under 10.6 by disabling ati2000 and 4800 kexts. I have two 3870s which have been great. Its really painful to have to replace them with something that costs more and gives lower performance. Netkas has been silent on the 3870 issue though he says he is working on a new enabler and trying to figure out the device strings.

Update: I have two 4870s running now both xfx. one with ATY_init and one with evo_enabler. Under 10.5.7 card shows up as 5 GT/s link under pci card. Under 10.6 it show 2.5 GT/s. In terms of scores (all tests with opengl extensions viewer 1920x1200 standard)

x1900 in a mac pro 1,1 10.6 1800-1900 ati drivers 2.5GT/s

3870 in a hack ep45 10.5.7 2000-2100 natit.kext 5GT/s

4870 in a hack ex58 10.6 1500- 1600 aty_init 2.5GT/s

4870 in a hack ep35 10.5.7 1500- 1600 aty_init 5GT/s

4870 in a hack ep35 10.6 1500- 1600 evo_enabler 2.5GT/s

I must be doing something wrong or missing a step, but I can't figure it out.

I have SL GM working quite stable using a V5250 (X1600), but no QE/CI yet.

On that note, if anyone has ATIinject working under SL, I'd be very interested. (So far I have only seen downloads for 32-bit ATIinject)

As others have pointed out, there will likely be very little OpenCL support for now on anything except the 48x0 cards - see http://netkas.org/?p=182

Hi KingRobot,

I have the same card.. ATI Radeon FireGL V5250 .. its basically more closer to X1700.. I have been able to get QE/CI working for this card.. but am really stuck at getting Mouse Tearing and Resolution Fix.. Hope we can collaborate and get it working... :)

Thanks ,

A.Xavier

Netkas has said that 2,5GT/s may be only esthetic not real issue.

HD2xxx & HD3xxx not well supported yet. you have to trash ATIX2000.kext and not sure if it can have QE/CI on 10.6

HD4xxx fully supported with QE/CI and OpenCL capabilities on 10.6.

I had got a 3870 that i've sold and changed for 9800GT but soon get a 4890 cause 9800GT suck on games(on windows).

4xxx price is decreasing...(for desktop it's great for laptop i understand it's frustrating)

Netkas has said that 2,5GT/s may be only esthetic not real issue.

HD2xxx & HD3xxx not well supported yet. you have to trash ATIX2000.kext and not sure if it can have QE/CI on 10.6

HD4xxx fully supported with QE/CI and OpenCL capabilities on 10.6.

I had got a 3870 that i've sold and changed for 9800GT but soon get a 4890 cause 9800GT suck on games(on windows).

4xxx price is decreasing...(for desktop it's great for laptop i understand it's frustrating)

Updating my ATY init to the July version with 4850 support changed the pci card status back to 5GT/s but didn't change my framerates at all. Still stuck at 1600 in OGL EXT VWR at 19x12. Others are reporting 3k fps with this card. Same in 10.5 and 10.6 with aty init of evo enabler. I did get it up to 2400 or so, installing some version of atimotmot from this thread but lost resolution change. My xfx seems to be really close to the apple card, why doesn't it work better?

I've read something about video bios injection possibility maybe you could search or try this.

Chameleon RC3 give the ability to inject alternate video rom and vbios. look at help/more info at boot.

The EVOenabler i have is mainly for 4890 but i've edited in.plist and wait for the card to create EFI strings.

I hope i can have appropriate frame rates but sorry i can't really help you on that point.

I'll report back when it's done

My xfx seems to be really close to the apple card

Saphire are close to Mac edition spec cause they also have display port but if you talk about PCB and eeprom maybe

Compute shaders? Most Nvidia cards compared to ATI cards don't have compute shaders either. That's kind of tricking them really, saying that OpenCL will make accelerate your system, but only if you have a certain series of cards. That's crappy.

saying that OpenCL will make accelerate your system, but only if you have a certain series of cards. That's crappy.

not at all. for the moment there's no app to take advantage of this feature(i think) but soon may be there will (i hope so).

Compute shaders? Most Nvidia cards compared to ATI cards don't have compute shaders either. That's kind of tricking them really, saying that OpenCL will make accelerate your system, but only if you have a certain series of cards. That's crappy.

It is not a function of presence of compute shaders, but the functionality implemented in said compute shaders.

Not all shaders are made equal... the 37xx series does not have enough HW support to do some of the ops that OpenCL requires. Although I assume they could simulate some of the functionality on top of the driver, but I assume ATI wasn't interested in putting that much work/effort on HW which is not going to bring them any new revenue stream whatsoever.