SSE. Will it work with OSx86?

Guest bugmenot

15 posts in this topic

Guest bugmenot

HI Im new to Osx86, and I was wondering what if my processor is only SSE and not SSE2, will the OSx86 process using VMware 5 still work?

thanks in advance

Even though hes deleted, I'm going to see if it does run on SSE. (Yes, call me crazy)

theres a 99% chance its not going to work but....who cares? We have PearPC!

Im also interested in finding out since my brother has a AMD Athlon 2500XP+, which is SSE only as well.

If theres a 99% chance that it wont work, what do you think the reason is. Could it be patched in anyway to remove limitations?

Or whats another method, besides vmware?

...Which is why I'm stealing my sisters processor.. It supports SSE2.. Pity not SSE3 :lol: She won't notice any change anyway.

I have an amd 3000+ processor with a socket A soyo kt600 rev 2 motherboard. booting os x went immediatley into a kernel panic just like evolver's error. Even in vmware just like with teirh. So turning of things in bios, or removing cards is probobly your answer if this happens. In my case I had to turn of USB, and then it worked! Another way around this for me was to use "platform=X86PC" and pressing enter when given the choice of boot options. it boots until it gets to the window server which just never loads. i could boot using -s under boot options to single user mode with no problems, but the GUI does not load nativley or using VMware for me.

To answer your question bugmenot Vmware will not emulate SSE 2. It's not an emulator at all. It will load the os but it can not start the window server. The only way I could get the os to load all the way was using qemu. A cpu emulator which actually does emulate SSE 2. But it wasn't usable. It took at least 5 minutes just to open an application.

For my video card I have an NVIDIA 6800 Ultra, and my onboard sound, nic, etc are not supported by this release os x. I found this out using qemu and checking apple system profiler. So no quarts extreme, no interenet, no sound or anything else even if it did work.

For the most part no it doesn't really work. But if you can make it work you will be my hero <_<

http://www.opendarwin.org/~bbraun/darwin8/

i'm not sure if this works yet. but if I read it right, it is the darwin 8x source code modified to run without SSE2. I'm not sure how useful this would be to making the gui work. But I wonder if it might make the little things like kextd work. It may just be something.

anyways, the author talks some about it in a mail archive here.

http://www.opendarwin.org/pipermail/hacker...May/005077.html