Ram : 2 gig kingston

Vid : nVidia 8600 GT 256 mb

Hdd : SATA

dvd : EIDE

internal nic: no bonjour

external nic: 100%

onboard sound : 100% using kexts from sk1nhd33t's guide

USB Audio : 100%

Ok, now here is the setup, first I installed 10.5.4, and then updated to 10.5.8, I used retail DVD for install, and a boot-132 to kick it off until I installed chameleon 2 RC2.

after install of 10.5, mount the SL dmg, and check for Errors.

DL boot of Snow Leopard

install chameleon on the drive you want sl on, then replace the boot file with the one you downloaded. (formated gpt with 2 partitions, 1 X size, 1 7.5GB

restore the SL dmg to the 7.5GB partition.

install fakesmc.kext and NullCPUpm.kext and dsdt.aml (use the rtc fix from netkas blog)

reboot using the disk for SL as boot volume.

install SL

apply EFI string for Vid

replace boot with the one from netkas for more options and 64 bit kernel. (or leave boot alone to run in 32 bit mode)

install all the goodies you want

this is the basic writeup, when I get home I will have a more complete list of directions and how to.

** EDIT **

Required links and kexts

fakeSMC.kext

Openhaltrestart.kext(64)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

boot file for initial install and debugging

boot file for after install normal use in 64 bit

Chameleon-2.0-r431 << needed to make second boot file work, system bootable. found @ Chameleon's website under RC1

Due to changes with Chameleon, you can now just install RC3 and get stable support, I still advise using the DEBUG boot file for initial install because it forces 32 kernel use during install.

** if you plan on migrating users, use a generic user on setup, you can not replace the user logged on with the Wizard

I will assume you have 10.5 installed on Drive {1} and that you intend to install SL on drive {2}

open diskutil and format disk {2} with GPT filesystem

select disk {2} click on partition

click on drop down box and select 2 partitions

select options and select GUID partition map

click on partition 2 and set it's size to 7.5GB

click apply and wait for it to complete.

now select partition 2 from disk {2} and click Restore

select your SL DVD (or SL DMG) and drag it to the source box

drag your disk {2} partition 2 to the destination box and hit apply

at this point you should have an empty partition that is going to house your OS, and be setting up another for ANY needs for restoring and updates.

*** Drive {2} Partition 2 will now = "Mac OSX Install DVD"

Copy Chameleon RC1 installer onto "Mac OS X Install DVD" partition

copy Both boot files to a folder on "Mac OSX Install DVD" partition

install chameleon RC1 on "Mac OSX Install DVD" ( you can not use RC2 with netkas bootloader so be sure to install RC1 )

overwrite the boot file in "Mac OSX Install DVD" with the Debug boot file (needed to get it to install, installer crashed on me in 64 bit mode but installed great in 32 bit mode)

copy kexts to "Mac OSX Install DVD"/System/Library/Extensions

copy dsdt.aml to "Mac OSX Install DVD" Main directory

reboot using drive {2} as boot device (or disconnect your 10.5 drive(for safety))

install snow leopard on Disk {2} Partition 1

reboot into installer again and copy the kext files from before(fakeSMC,OpenHalt,Null CPU) from "Mac OSX Install DVD"/System/Library/Extensions to Disk {2} Partition 1 /System/Library/Extensions

Verify that DSDT.aml is in root directory on both partitions

reboot and hold down the F8 key(used to force bootloader to show what partitions can boot)

Select partition 1

use flags -v -f (to force rebuild with kext, and verbose mode)

do setup for your accounts

open "Mac OSX Install DVD" and run Chameleon Setup again, this time on Drive {2} Partition 1

Replace boot file with one from Netkas

add your EFI strings to com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra

reboot

If Everything goes as smoothly as it did for me, you now have a fully running SL Hack,

Reconnect your 10.5 Drive and migrate your Stuff (if you want to)

if you have Problems, you can reboot from your 10.5 drive and set the boot file to the Debug version to check what the errors are.

// EDIT //

Another Great Guide By sk1nhd33t's. He takes the stance of using a Thumbdrive or external disk.

using his DSDT and some of his kexts I have full Audio use (including Front panel) and sleep/restart/shutdown.

Good luck, and Have fun with Snow

dsdt.dsl.txt

If you would like your onboard sound to work, I have the legacy ALC883 kext. I am using the same exact board. The legacy kext works for both 10.5.7 and up and 10.6 (10a432).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nw4qy3wztym/HDA.kext.zip

forgot to include the DSDT file. I attached it as DSDT.dsl, you can either compile it or just use the HDEF and DTGP code from it.

dsdt.txt

I have a Gigabyte G31m-S2l Motherboard & imn running iPC 10.5.6 on it, can someone tell me how to upgrade this installation to Snow Leopard...... please

follow the above directions, assuming you have a chip that is supported this guide will set you up.

this guide assumes you have 2 disks, or 1 disk in 3 partitions (10.5(leopard), 10.6(empty for Snow Leopard), and 7.5GB partition for booting and installing Snow from)

if you follow the Guide from above it should get you a working install. also, if you needed to replace the kernel with the modded one, do NOT copy the PCEFI v10 boot file over the Debug file.

Good luck

no uuid change necessary?

no uuid needed because you are booting from a HDD also having looked @ sk1nhd33t's Guide his looks much more complete. but takes the stance of using a Thumbdrive or external disk.

using his DSDT and some of his kexts I have full Audio use (including Front panel) and sleep/restart/shutdown.

good luck

Hi Guys,

I tried following these instructions, but I can't install Chameleon. It just hangs on 'writing package receipt'. I don't think it's actually instaling on the Snow Leopard partition that I specified, cause I end up with junk in my Leopard boot.

Then, when I try to boot off my Snow Leopard install volume, it just KPs. Because it's not loading with Chameleon I'm guessing.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone else having issues installing Chameleon? Can someone give me a link to which actual version I should be using? Or alternatively, could this be achieved using a Boot CD instead? I previously used the http://leopardsoup.pbworks.com/es2l guide, which was brain-dead easy on this board. Any similar ideas?

Thanks,

John

Hi Guys,

I tried following these instructions, but I can't install Chameleon. It just hangs on 'writing package receipt'. I don't think it's actually instaling on the Snow Leopard partition that I specified, cause I end up with junk in my Leopard boot.

Then, when I try to boot off my Snow Leopard install volume, it just KPs. Because it's not loading with Chameleon I'm guessing.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone else having issues installing Chameleon? Can someone give me a link to which actual version I should be using? Or alternatively, could this be achieved using a Boot CD instead? I previously used the http://leopardsoup.pbworks.com/es2l guide, which was brain-dead easy on this board. Any similar ideas?

Thanks,

John

Had same problem!

I created 2 partition, 1 for cham boot and 1 for snow, then it was fine!

Had same problem!

I created 2 partition, 1 for cham boot and 1 for snow, then it was fine!

I did that too. I have two drives, one for Leopard (booting fine with a boot CD) and then a completely second HD for Snow. On this Snow drive, I had two partitions on the drive (which was gpt). I had Snow Boot (big, where i was going to install) and Snow Install (8gigs). But whenever I tried to install Chameleon (whilst booted into normal Leopard from the other drive) on the Snow Install drive, it just hung. Are you saying I should create a third partition at the start just for Chmeleon and try to install on that?

John

I did that too. I have two drives, one for Leopard (booting fine with a boot CD) and then a completely second HD for Snow. On this Snow drive, I had two partitions on the drive (which was gpt). I had Snow Boot (big, where i was going to install) and Snow Install (8gigs). But whenever I tried to install Chameleon (whilst booted into normal Leopard from the other drive) on the Snow Install drive, it just hung. Are you saying I should create a third partition at the start just for Chmeleon and try to install on that?

John

Yeah, small first one for bootloader, the other partitions...

Yeah, small first one for bootloader, the other partitions...

And you were able to install it while booted into Leopard on another disc? Can you give me the link you used for the Chameleon by any chance? :) I downloaded this one: http://sitethatcannotbelinkedto/articles/c...on-20rc1-is-out and downloaded the file called Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin.tar.gz. Is that the one you used?

Thanks!!

And you were able to install it while booted into Leopard on another disc? Can you give me the link you used for the Chameleon by any chance? :) I downloaded this one: http://sitethatcannotbelinkedto/articles/c...on-20rc1-is-out and downloaded the file called Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin.tar.gz. Is that the one you used?

Thanks!!

Should be the right one, RC1 431, but you have to replace the boot file, see this.

OK, I got it to work by installing it from within Leopard, but it takes forever to boot in 32 bit mode with a problem with a "Don't steal Mac OS X.kext"that halts the booting process, while the mouse takes a few minutes to move for the 1st time in 64 bit mode.

Anyone can help?

OK, I got it to work by installing it from within Leopard, but it takes forever to boot in 32 bit mode with a problem with a "Don't steal Mac OS X.kext"that halts the booting process, while the mouse takes a few minutes to move for the 1st time in 64 bit mode.

Anyone can help?

See the above guide. do not use PC EFI until AFTER install. use the DEBUG boot file.

when installing kexts, on the (install disk) remember they go into the System/Library/Extension Directory, not Extra.

I have built 4 Hacks with this Method and sofar I have not had a single issue.

I did not include any soft steps that were not necessary to get this install to work, if you follow Step by Step it will work fine for you.

See the above guide. do not use PC EFI until AFTER install. use the DEBUG boot file.

when installing kexts, on the (install disk) remember they go into the System/Library/Extension Directory, not Extra.

I have built 4 Hacks with this Method and sofar I have not had a single issue.

I did not include any soft steps that were not necessary to get this install to work, if you follow Step by Step it will work fine for you.

I did follow your guide step by step and I did use the DEBUG boot file but I can't install the way you described it because I get a kernel panic at the beginning of the install process everytime I tried so I installed from within leopard but it freezes for 5 minutes and then I can use it (without sound and wifi). I just want to get it running perfectly, and I know I'm the only one having this issue with this mobo. I'm just wondering why.

I've a disk now witch leopard + XP with the chameleon bootloader

For snow leopard I've inserted a second hard disk, can i follow this tutorial and everything turns out oke? (i mean i can chose on start up if i want to boot leopard, snow leopard or xp?

Thanks for the tutorial ;)