Illustrated PDF: Vanilla OSX 10.5 on the Asrock ION 330 NetTop - NB: NOT for Pro or HD versions

shoarthing

323 posts in this topic

Tuesday 3rd November 2009

Guide converted to fully illustrated & updated *.pdf

Please note: this guide assumes you have access to a working OSX installation.

*.pdf is attached to this post together with all required installation files

Please note this guide is *not* for the new ION 330 HD, or Pro versions

Hi dear People with great knowledge!

I have done everything just as it was described and my asrock is running a 10.5.6 smoothly.

I am facing an issue what i havent faced for the last 6 months.

Couple of installers are saying that my OS is not OSX and I cant proceed with them.

Any suggestions?

I really like to install those applications.

Thanks in advance,

CsP

Hi dear People with great knowledge!

I have done everything just as it was described and my asrock is running a 10.5.6 smoothly.

I am facing an issue what i havent faced for the last 6 months.

Couple of installers are saying that my OS is not OSX and I cant proceed with them.

Any suggestions?

I really like to install those applications.

Thanks in advance,

CsP

Which applications? Maybe there need the last version of Leopard (i.e. 10.5.8). Good luck!

All,

I have this nice Asrock ION330 PRO now for 2 weeks.

I have started over more then once to get it working as I want it to be as vanilla as possible.

I do read every thread there is, and a lot are really well, but non are as straight forward as the first instruction in the PDF document at the start of this thread.

Ok, I get 10.6.0. on the HD and get it booting with Cameloen RC4. no problem there.

I then copy a com.apple.boot.plist in the extra folder and the system goos in the high res. of the monitor 1.680 x 1.050 it runs Frontrow as well so CI en QE are working.

What to do to get the following working:

1) When I add kext in the Extra folder do I do that by using Kext helper or do I simple drop the kext in the Extra folder?

2) What is the right audio Kext for only stereo out on the mini jack and 5.1 to 7.1 in the spdif?

3) do I use a dsdt for the audio as well?

4) Do I use a dsdt for the video as I had used dsdt files before and it seemed that the system then would not 100% power down. It had to be shutdown after a blank screen by holding down the power button for 2 or 3 sec.

5) Is there as kext to be loaded for the LAN? sometimes it works after installation and sometimes it does not

Sorry for al the questions but I like the little asrock and like to have it running as my medai center.

thanks for all the help.

All,

I have this nice Asrock ION330 PRO now for 2 weeks.

I have started over more then once to get it working as I want it to be as vanilla as possible.

I do read every thread there is, and a lot are really well, but non are as straight forward as the first instruction in the PDF document at the start of this thread.

Ok, I get 10.6.0. on the HD and get it booting with Cameloen RC4. no problem there.

I then copy a com.apple.boot.plist in the extra folder and the system goos in the high res. of the monitor 1.680 x 1.050 it runs Frontrow as well so CI en QE are working.

What to do to get the following working:

1) When I add kext in the Extra folder do I do that by using Kext helper or do I simple drop the kext in the Extra folder?

2) What is the right audio Kext for only stereo out on the mini jack and 5.1 to 7.1 in the spdif?

3) do I use a dsdt for the audio as well?

4) Do I use a dsdt for the video as I had used dsdt files before and it seemed that the system then would not 100% power down. It had to be shutdown after a blank screen by holding down the power button for 2 or 3 sec.

5) Is there as kext to be loaded for the LAN? sometimes it works after installation and sometimes it does not

Sorry for al the questions but I like the little asrock and like to have it running as my medai center.

thanks for all the help.

Great to hear that your little baby works!

I try to answer your questions, but maybe not always correct.

1) It was suggested you use Kext hlper to do Kexts update.

2) You may use my latest Asrock pack for the Audio. You could apply 3out 2in HD for digital output. I did try analog stereo (blue) and it works find. I didn't try spdif yet for I haven't the digital equipment. The HDMI works, but no sound.

3) See my latest DSDT, it works.

4) I use DSDT for video also. Shut down is OK.

5) Not sure what causes this issue. I use wireless LAN instead.

Hope this helps.

I have the Asrock ION 330 PRo up and running.

There is one thing that does not work 100%.

Is there any one that has a fix to have stereo sound coming from the GREEN output jack.

With some of the Kexts supplied on the form I have it either on the blue or orange jack.

Also does any of you have the optical output work?

thanks for the help

Ok, it works.

After installing 10.6.0. I run the update to 10.6.1. still going strong.

Then I put the "dsdt'aml" of Alexylee in and with kext helper b7 I inserted HDAEnabler and the LegacyHDA.Stereo audio on the green jack and video with GraphicsEnabler=No in the com.apple.boot.plist

Then I downloaded the 10.6.2. and the 10.6.3. 32 and 64 bit kernels of Teateam this are the modified kernels for the Atom support.

I have named them mach_kernel_1062_32 & 64 and mach_kernel_1063_32 & 64 I also have the 10.6.0. and the 10.6.1 still in the root.

With terminal and the instructions of teateam, thanks for this, the kernels where as the needed to be.

I then downloaded the 10.6.2 combo from the apple side and installed it.

At boot I entered at darwin mach_kernel_1062_32 and I had a panic.

I then booted with mach_kernel_1061 and removed the "dsmos,kext" and used osx86tools for re patching the kext library.

The a reboot with mach_kernel_1062_32 and it worked also mach_kernel_1062_64 and after the installtion of 10.6.3 combo they also worked.

Set the Hypertreading on Enable in the bios and we are now at a Geekbench score of approx 1.700.

Some questions left:

- Will this do HD 720 ;) (HD youtube does not seem to work)

- any solution for the USB ;) (is there something to be done in the DSDT.AML the system is dual boot

- what Geekbench scores does one of you have with this system running at 1.9 Ghz ;)

- when I shut down the system the screen does shutdown but the power button stay's blinking. The power consumption of the system only drops with 3 to 4 watt. Any idea what this can be :D

thanks for the input and the help on this forum

As mentioned in my previous post the system does run nice.

I have link the Asrock to my amplifier with the optical cable.

The system does stereo but no DTS or Dolby x.1.

Is there any one that has this working?

I have perian installed and there try to make changed but nothing works.

I used a 5.1 DVD stereo ok but no DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1

Also who has 720p working

It would by nice to know how to solve this as the system is running so nice.

My Geekscore at 1.9 GhZ is 1680.

All,

The Asrock (iRock) is rocking  :P

It has Dolby x.1 and DTS x.1 running through the spdif output.

HD720 with no sweat under PLEX, in PLEX you can set h264 nicely and when I was playing a DVD there was hardly any crosses activity. When I was playing HD720 2 of the 2 cores where only showing 30 to 50% activity.

USB2.0 works when the system is single boot.

I would say it is probably the best alternative to a original Mac Mini. 

For sure with the new mac Mini prices.

I will write a installer instruction and all the parts required for it later.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working with the Asrock and have come to the conclusion that it even supports two screens.

I'm not sure that it will clone one screen to the second screen but it does support two screens where you can set the title bar to one or the other screen.

1080p it does do as long as I have a HD movie on the system and run it with plex or Boxee. I have not tested VLC yet for this.

The system does have a problem in running higher definition video from on-line sources like hulu.

Any one have a solution for that?

please can someone help me with applehda?i have use the codec_dump and i have import reg files from windows7 and many many steps but i have stuck on the applehda editing,can someone help im using iatkos 10.6.3?please i have big problem with my sound

btw OLD version of asrock ion 330

VIA VT1708S

link with my files here

please if someone can help or make it

im collecting all working kexts and i will make new guide for asrock ion 330,i need only for the sound

As mentioned I have mine running nicely.

There is one thing that strikes me ode.

When I shutdown the system the video goes down but the PC stay's running. The power buttun flashes. Even after 5 minutes it is still flashing. The cooling fin stay's on and the power consumption is on nearly the same level.

What can this be does it have to do with a applepower.kext?

thanks for the help.

I've 1080p by new nightly build of XBMC, very nice.

The only thing is lack of HDMI audio output.

Alexylee,

Do you have a problem with the power down or does your work perfectly?

Power down does not shut down my system 100% only for 70% the power button stays flashing and the keeps using 90% of it's normal power consumption.

It would by nice to have this fixed.

RobertJB and Alexlee

i need your help

you know here is there many users with asrock ion(old,new,pro,hd etc) and have problems with:

sound

video(1080p using cuda)

power etc

i want to make a fully automatic release for only asrock ion

i need your help to collect all working kexts and fully working dsdt(the power problem i think is from dsdt)

(sorry for my english)

RobertJB and Alexlee

i need your help

you know here is there many users with asrock ion(old,new,pro,hd etc) and have problems with:

sound

video(1080p using cuda)

power etc

i need your help to collect all working kexts and fully working dsdt(the power problem i think is from dsdt)

(sorry for my english)

xameleon,

Give some time end I will get you the information.

I'm only a couple of day's away from my vacation and I still have a lot of work to do for my work so it probabaly will be in 3 weeks.

RobertJB and Alexlee

i need your help

sound

video(1080p using cuda)

power etc

(sorry for my english)

xameleon,

Give some time end I will get you the information.

I'm only a couple of day's away from my vacation and I still have a lot of work to do for my work so it probabaly will be in 3 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Alexylee,

Do you have a problem with the power down or does your work perfectly?

Power down does not shut down my system 100% only for 70% the power button stays flashing and the keeps using 90% of it's normal power consumption.

It would by nice to have this fixed.

I have'n the power problem. It shut down by system automatically.

RobertJB and Alexlee

i need your help

sound

video(1080p using cuda)

power etc

(sorry for my english)

Please find the post #234 and #238.