Ultimate guide For Updating from 10.5.2 to 10.5.7 Easily

0mar32

40 posts in this topic

This is for updating from 10.5.2 up to 10.5.7

Please before reading, if you want to ask any questions don't hesitate to ask but please try to make them clear and don't write riddles and the questions should be here in the thread NOT By PMs

Requirements are :
1-Kalyway or any other distro on 10.5.2 system installed
2-Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update (it's out there, use your imagination)
3-Mac OS X 10.5.4 Delta Update(not combo) from http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_4_Update
4-Mac OS X 10.5.5 Delta Update(not combo) from http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_5_Update
5-Mac OS X 10.5.6 Delta Update(not combo) from http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Update
6-Mac OS X 10.5.7 Delta Update(not combo) from http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_7_Update
7-Download OSx86 Utilities from http://osx86tools.googlecode.com/files/OSX...ols_1.0.150.zip
8-Download AppleDecrypt.kext and Disabler.kext from Here : http://rapidshare.com/files/256970003/Appl...___Disabler.zip
9-Download Voodoo kernel 9.7.0 from here: http://xnu-dev.googlecode.com/files/voodoo2_alpha3_intel.zip or if you're a Core 2 CPU User download Vanilla 9.7.0 from here : http://www.2shared.com/file/6733740/610b3c...ach_kernel.html

After you get all of that we should get started, so shall we :

10.5.2 -> 10.5.3

1- Start the Kalyway update and let it finish but don't restart
2- Start the kernel update package which you downloaded with the 10.5.3 kalyway update
3- Choose the modbin kernel if you're an Intel SSE2 or choose vanilla 9.3 if you've got a Core 2 CPU processor
4- Restart and type at the darwin prompt "update -v" without quotes and it may reboot again then it will boot up normally
5- Now you're on 10.5.3 safely

10.5.3 -> 10.5.4

1- Start the update you downloaded from apple.com with no worries
2- After it finishes restart and boot up with "update -v"
3- it will reboot again but it may not boot up so if it doesn't, boot up with "update" without the -v and it should boot up normally
4- You may have to boot up each time with "update" that's what happened to me but we'll fix that later
5- Now You're on 10.5.4 safely

10.5.4 -> 10.5.5

1- Before you start the update open up Terminal from Applications>Utilities>Terminal
2- Type in "sudo -s" without the quotes
3- Then type in "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done" also without the quotes but don't close Terminal
4- Now start the update and let it finish but don't restart after that
5- Now show Terminal and click on Ctrl+C to end the script we typed earlier in Step 3
6- Now restart and again boot up with "update -v" by now I think you figured out the "without the quotes"
7- And again it will reboot then you must boot up with "update"
8- Now you're on 10.5.5 safely

Now pay good attention because the next 2 updates are tricky

10.5.5 -> 10.5.6

1- Install the two kexts we downloaded earlier (AppleDecrypt.kext & Disabler.kext) via OSx86 Utilities and then restart with "update" again
2- Before you start the update open up Terminal from Applications>Utilities>Terminal
3- Type in "sudo -s" without the quotes
4- Then type in "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done"
5- Now start the update and let it finish but don't restart after that
6- Now show Terminal and click on Ctrl+C to end the script we typed earlier in Step 4 but don't close Terminal
7- Here things change, you won't restart now
8- Type in Terminal "nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1"
9- Search for "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" and rename to "dsmos.kext" if you can't find it, it's O.K. I didn't find it too, if you don't find it like me then proceed to Step 11 if you found complete normally to Step 10
10- After you've renamed it click on Ctrl+X and then Shift+Y then Enter
11- Now close Terminal and Restart with "update" at the darwin prompt
12- Now You're on 10.5.6 safely

At Last 10.5.6 -> 10.5.7

1- Before you start the update open up Terminal from Applications>Utilities>Terminal
2- Type in "sudo -s" without the quotes
3- Then type in "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done"
4- If you're using Chameleon bootloader you should Type in this script alongside the one above which is "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEdriver.kext; done"
5- Now start the update and let it finish but don't restart after that
6- Now show Terminal and click on Ctrl+C to end the script we typed earlier but don't close Terminal
7- Here things change you won't restart now
9- Search for "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" and rename to "dsmos.kext" if you can't find it, it's O.K. I didn't find it too, if you don't find it like me then proceed to Step 11 if you found complete normally to Step 10
10- After you've renamed it click on Ctrl+X and then Shift+Y then Enter
11- Now close Terminal and Restart with "update" at the darwin prompt
12- Now install the appropriate kernel you downloaded earlier using Osx86 Utilities
13- Then Reboot and now you won't need to write down "update" to make your system boot up let it boot up normally
14- If you lose Quartz Extreme/Core Image after all of these updates you can get them back by installing this: http://www.2shared.com/file/6734128/a0d057...ler_01kext.html via OSx86 Utilities
15- Now at last you're on 10.5.7 happymac.GIF

There you go everyone.

And I hope that you guys and girls out there would consider buying a real Mac one day.

Everything was perfect except I can not get into 10.5.7 unless im boot with -x

I never encountered any "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" so I'm assuming it not being there is not an issue as I made it to 10.5.6 fine and can safe boot into 10.5.7 :D

For some reason my screen is scrambled in 10.5.7 but im chocking that up to my Radeon 4870

I'm gonna try install the kexts for it and see how things fair from there.

Also on some boots where it says to type "update" it will just loop but "update -v" will get me in instead.

Top notch guide :wacko:

Can a Mod fix

8- Type in Terminal "nano /System/InsatllAtStartup/scripts/1"

with

Everything was perfect except I can not get into 10.5.7 unless im boot with -x

I never encountered any "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" so I'm assuming it not being there is not an issue as I made it to 10.5.6 fine and can safe boot into 10.5.7 :D

For some reason my screen is scrambled in 10.5.7 but im chocking that up to my Radeon 4870

I'm gonna try install the kexts for it and see how things fair from there.

Also on some boots where it says to type "update" it will just loop but "update -v" will get me in instead.

Top notch guide ;)

Can a Mod fix

with

Thanks for the notice

I renamed it through the graphical interface, not terminal because the instructions were a little to vague for me. There is already a file that is named dsmos.kext, what do i do to that? I thought it wouldn't make a difference because dsmos was already existant. Also my PS2 mouse and keyboard dont work, and i want to fix these problems without reinstalling.

I renamed it through the graphical interface, not terminal because the instructions were a little to vague for me. There is already a file that is named dsmos.kext, what do i do to that? I thought it wouldn't make a difference because dsmos was already existant. Also my PS2 mouse and keyboard dont work, and i want to fix these problems without reinstalling.

You should have renamed it using Terminal because I, just like you when I was a n00b about these stuff I tried to rename it using the GUI but I couldn't too. I don't know what you should do except trying to rename it again using Terminal following the exact instructions I gave.

Concerning your 2nd problem, a lot of people faced this problem and it's remedy is buying USB mouse and keyboard and, also the PS/2 to USB converters don't fix this problem

VOODOO :D

Keyboard and Mouse problems solved

here

For some reaons it won't let me post the link to the chameleon site where it originates from so ive reuploaded it to my ftp :s

also installing the natit.pkg for the newer radeon cards fixed my screen problems. :D

now to play musical chairs with my partitions haha. My old linux partition has left my windows install with an unpleasant surprise of not being able to access my second HDD lol. Stupid GPT protection <_<

the only problem is i cant install the <_< ing .pkg my mouse doesn't work. I'm going to try booting with update, update -v, or -x and see if i can install the .pkg, and also, is it too late to rename the dont steal mac os x file? I'm on 10.5.6

Edit:

I just tried using an old Mac G4 keyboard and it has no problems working. Unfortunately i have lost my old Mac's mouse. So is there any way i can go in finder and locate the Voodoo PS2 fix on my Windows partition and install it just by using my only keyboard. Also, is it too late to rename is it too late to rename the dont steal mac os x file? I'm on 10.5.6. If not, then EXACTLY how do i do it?

you can use the keyboard :/

Apple+Down opens files

So Apple+Down your hard drive

Navigate with arrow keys to the folder

Apple+C and Apple+V it to your OSX partition

Apple+Down to open the .pkg and tab through the buttons of the installation until its done

I successfully openend the installer but when I tried to "tab" my way through the options it didn't work, so I started repeatedly pressing tab and my system suddenly shuts off. I turn on the system and there's no picture on the monitor, the USB hubs won't charge my iPhone, And I cleaned, blew all the dust out of and rewired my system, and still nothing happens when it starts. It's probably not the video card. Will any of you please tell me links with other threads that have this solution solved or links on how to solve it or just tell me how to solve it, there's only so much I can do on my iPhone. Thanks in advance.

O_O never heard of that happening before

Yea i tried to tab through myself and I realized the installer doesn't default select a button for a bunch of the pages :)

Guess your gonna need to find a USB mouse after all :)

You might want to install the PS/2 support in 10.5.5 and then go to 10.5.6 and see if it is still preserved

I successfully openend the installer but when I tried to "tab" my way through the options it didn't work, so I started repeatedly pressing tab and my system suddenly shuts off. I turn on the system and there's no picture on the monitor, the USB hubs won't charge my iPhone, And I cleaned, blew all the dust out of and rewired my system, and still nothing happens when it starts. It's probably not the video card. Will any of you please tell me links with other threads that have this solution solved or links on how to solve it or just tell me how to solve it, there's only so much I can do on my iPhone. Thanks in advance.

Actually that thing about no picture happened to me before and what I did I opened the computer normally then pulled out the power plug then plugged it back after that I saw the computer's BIOS then the darwin prompt as usual and it booted up normally after that.

where are you guys getting these Delta Updates from? as far as I can see, they dont exist on apple.com. I've look all around and searched.

They are the ones which aren't Combo e.g Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update not Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update

where are you guys getting these Delta Updates from? as far as I can see, they dont exist on apple.com. I've look all around and searched.

I found them on Apple's site:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_4_Update

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_5_Update

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Update

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_7_Update

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this great post!

I followed it, and everything worked perfect except the last step.

After I upgraded kernel, I can no longer boot normally. I have to type "vanillakernel" in order to boot. I have to mention than when I upgraded kernel, in OSX tools it was saying that my kernel version was 9.7.0 (If I remember correctly) and now the detected kernel version is 9.2.2.

Am I missing something? (I'm totally newbie!)

Hello omer

i am currently on 10.5.6 kalyway vanilla and want to update to 10.5.7.

i just wanted to confrim that should i apply vanilla kernel update through osxtools after complete delta installer and system restart!

is the kernel 9.7 update necessary for 10.5.7?

also i am still using old 10.5.2 darwing loader and hoping that this update wouldnt affect my boot loader.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much for the guide.

I just bingo'd out on 10.5.4 -> 10.5.5. In step three, I must have gotten the command wrong. During the install of the delta, it spat out permission denied errors. Finally, it froze.

Now the machine is stuck in a restart loop that includes the grey screen with the apple logo and that you must restart now in a zillion languages screen.

I ran a -v and it barfs a panic due to 'the CPU(s) not being configured correctly.' It specifically mentions the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as being the source of the error.

Any ideas appreciated.