Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Finally got my 14z laptop and started messing around with it. Got OSX installed ok and then installed Chameleon. After installation i get a chameleon installation error but upon restart the GUI is there. Unfortunately after a restart I can not get the system to boot.

Others have had this problem. The system can't seem to find the HD (i get the circle with line through it when booting)

the only way to get back into OSX is to boot from the USB stick which contains OSX and EmpireEFI.

i have tried dropping in the ioahciblockstorageinjector.kext or other AHCI kexts in the package in this thread and still can't seem to get the system to boot.

I will mention that the BIOS is on version A01. any thoughts?

UPDATE: The main issue with the comp not recognizing the HD was the boot loader. I redid my installation using myHack and all went perfectly, no issues. I do not have multi-touch trackpad support, but no big deal.

Also i noticed the sound popping other people had mentioned. i had this same issue on my desktop. The solution was to edit the smbios.plist (if it does not exist, make one) and set the system model to Mac Pro 3.1 (system default was Mac Pro 4.1). i made this change and have not heard a pop in over 2 hours. just another option for people who may be frustrated.

• 1 month later...

Maybe someone can help. I had 10.6.2 running perfectly, and was afraid to update to 10.6.4, but after buying a Magic Trackpad, I realized 10.6.4 is a requirement. So, I did the combo update.

Everything seemed fine except Wifi and Sound. I got the Wifi working by replacing the IO80211Family kext with the older version I backed up before updating to 10.6.4.

Sound, though, is proving more difficult. I have tried replacing the AppleHDA kext with my original one from 10.6.2 (using Kext Helper b7), but no joy. I found a post with an AppleHDA file that you replace in the contents of the AppleHDA.kext file. I replaced it, ran Kext Utility to fix up things, and rebooted, but no joy. I put my HDAIDT.kext from E/E into S/L/E and ran Kext Utility, but no joy here.

Can someone supply me with an AppleHDA.kext and HDAIDT.kext file that is known to work?? I must be doing something wrong.

BTW, my Magic Trackpad is working very nicely! I like it! :D

Thanks.

The HDAIDT.kext from post 146 works on 10.6.4 for sound. I have also attached my AppleHDA.kext, but I am not sure where it originated. Both are in S/L/E

Known issues on 10.6.4:

1. No side scrolling or two finger scrolling. The trackpad pane is not listed under system preferences and trying to install it states it is already installed.

2. The screen brightness controls do not work.

AppleHDA.kext_HDAIDT.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...
I got a magic trackpad last week after buying a bluetooth module from Dell. Im gonna put it all together tonight hopefully.

I love it. It works like a charm. great replacement for our lil trackpads. And all the gestures, I learned the main ones already.

No problems with flash drives that I have noticed. But since this thread is somewhat revived has anybody managed to get the screen brightness keys to work?

Mine used to but they have stopped for some reason.

Thats a tough one. Is it the bios setting? you can change it so the keys do normal function keys at first and then do upper functions with the function key pressed. Default is the upper functions. Mines always worked for screen brightness, sound, etc. Check your bios settings if you havent tried that.

Thats a tough one. Is it the bios setting? you can change it so the keys do normal function keys at first and then do upper functions with the function key pressed. Default is the upper functions. Mines always worked for screen brightness, sound, etc. Check your bios settings if you havent tried that.

No I don't think I have changed the BIOS settings, all the other function keys work and the brightness work in BIOS and windows just stopped working in OSX. What boot loader do you use, I think I updated to chameleon RC5 sometime ago it might have stopped working then but I am not sure.

No I don't think I have changed the BIOS settings, all the other function keys work and the brightness work in BIOS and windows just stopped working in OSX. What boot loader do you use, I think I updated to chameleon RC5 sometime ago it might have stopped working then but I am not sure.

Im on Chameleon RC3

I had to do a restore of my system from a few months back. I keep a external 500 gig drive with multiple partitions and I do backups using the restore in the disk utility. It worked fine this time and I got my stuff working again, and kept all my new docs and programs too. I reinstalled all the updates except for face time and my verizon wireless app so far no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I lost my USB drives again. Interesting. The backup I used before still works when I but to it over USB. But restoring the same image to my internal harddrive still has the none working USB issue. Weird. Everything was working when I saved the image.

• 4 weeks later...

No idea on the usb thing theDon mine have been working fine and continue to.

Can anybody with working brightness controls post what there graphics card is called in system profile mine is 9400 M G and I think that might be the problem since brightness controls work till a certain spot in the boot process then stop.

• 3 weeks later...
Check out Nawcom's modcd. Audio and the touchpad work out of the box. Installing OSX on this laptop is easy now.

:rolleyes:

I have to admit Namcom does a pretty amazing job of detecting hardware (extremely slow install, but that's to be expected, as it's 'patching on the fly'). Couple of things I haven't figured out though is how to update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.6 (killed my install, doh!) Also it kills the webcam. Haven't figured out graphics yet either (just 1024 x 768 is all you get) Audio does work, but there are just two volume functions - on and off. And finally sleep dosn't work (even if you use sleepenabler...well, it sort of halfway works) That's all I've got so far...sure it could be resolved with some research and the right kexts, but I'm not clear on whether just kext utility is enough to add kexts etc....

If anyone else has used this or has some suggestions/methods in updating from a clean install of 10.6.0 to 10.6.6 - they certainly would be useful. I also tried updating straight to 10.6.6 then installing the newest Chameleon just to get started, but no go there either.

• 4 weeks later...
Check out Nawcom's modcd. Audio and the touchpad work out of the box. Installing OSX on this laptop is easy now.

:o

I couldn't get this to work. I had a fully running system until VMWare hosed my drive. I tried reinstalling using nawcom, but I could never get all the way to the OSX install menu. Which version did you use?

Also, I'm running 10.6.6 now but can't get sound working. Anybody else having this issue? I have reinstalled the AppleHDA.kext in the S/L/E folder, but no joy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had to reinstall using a 10.6.3 install DVD of Snowleopard. My girlfriend got deployed and she thought it was her disc for her Mac book and took it with her, so I had to go out and buy a new one.

Anyhow, since then, I've had to reinstall, and I can't get the sound to work properly. Before, I always had sound working without a problem. I'm using the same Kexts in E/E that I did before, but I only get full blast sound. The keyboard volume controls don't work at all. Actually, it looks like they do, but all they do is give me full blast sound. Mute doesn't work either.

Any ideas? Also, recently my trackpad died and I'm not sure why.

I'm up and running at 10.6.6. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone else successfully dual booted this with windows 7? I had it running for so long, but I never wrote down my exact steps. I can install OSX just fine, then I install windows. I can then use the usb key to boot back and forth but once I start trying to install a proper boot loader it doesnt work and then it kills my windows install.